How much fun did you have this SpringFest?

GiggaPoggers

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
superstar
Switch Friend Code
SW-7556-4937-7869
mine wasnt the best, i prob got like a .5:1 win/lose ratio
0 special matches won

My first match was a 10x but ended due to disconnect šŸ˜­

shirpless

Inkling
Itā€™s not often that youā€™re in a position where you pray to not get any 100x battles.
I spent the Splatfest getting 1 star on almost all of my remaining unstarred weapons. Unfortunately, I happened to get a 100x battle while finishing up with the Order Brella Replica. On Flounder Heights. I was able to win two 10x with other weapons, at least.
Iā€™m now convinced that Frye is cursed.
Interesting. X battles seem to try to gather people who are using weapons they don't usually use. A lot of the times in Splatfest when I went "I'll try and use this weapon maybe" have a high chance of jumpscaring me with an X battle.

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
Interesting. X battles seem to try to gather people who are using weapons they don't usually use. A lot of the times in Splatfest when I went "I'll try and use this weapon maybe" have a high chance of jumpscaring me with an X battle.
Seconding this. The game can sense when I'm using a weapon I hate just to get the stars on it and then throws more x battles than I've seen before in my life just to spite me

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
maybe that's why I keep not getting very many

Eel-Ectric

Inkling
Pronouns
she/he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0840-7727-8401
I had a lot of fun this Splatfest! Granted I haven't participated in one since.............. I actually cannot remember! ^^;
I found the music fun! I loved being able to hang out in Inkopolis Square and see the new way it was decorated too! I guess I just like fests, but haven't participated in them in a long... LONG while, so this one felt special to me :}

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i'm not typically a big fan of splatfests bc i never play turf war, but honestly mahi was one of my personal favorite tricolor maps i've played. shocked by the people saying it felt unbalanced, it was the closest to a 50/50 win rate for attacking vs defending ive seen in ages on my own end at least. i didn't end up playing much of it but i enjoyed the little that i did play

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
so i honestly cannot make myself care about winning splatfests - i know that my individual performance doesnā€™t go far in the long run, and even as a new player i was seeing how vicious people on social media got about fest results and going, yall, itā€™s REALLY not that deep - and i think that kind of thing turned me off from playing fests to win early on. i was like, ā€œokay, i donā€™t wanna be like THAT,ā€ so i went in the complete opposite direction. kind of thankful for that, honestly. splatfests are a 48-hour period where the only pvp mode available outside of PBs is my least favorite mode, so if i was going into splatfests feeling like the results mattered, iā€™d be miserable, yā€™know?

so i find my own fun. i like standing in the plaza(s) and pretending to be at a real festival. the hype of winning 100x matches and getting the float photos, especially with friends, matters to me a lot more than my team winning the fest in the end. sometimes if i touch grass during a splatfest weekend iā€™ll go out dressed in my teamā€™s color. and if i end up on the same team as friends, playing with them becomes a social thing. weā€™re celebrating together!

this is all to say i had a great time because i got to do all those things i do to make fests fun for myself :D
Sorry to derail the thread a bit but this reminded me (and kind of made me miss) that for several splatfests before my IRL friends got tired of the game, we actually would meet friday night and throw little splatfest parties themed (to the best of our ability) around all the different teams. The food ones were the most fun because they were easy to theme around; others we had to get more creative. I remember for the cryptids one someone brought a chip dip with a little bell-pepper nessie in it:

1713883285948.png

but it was always so much fun; I was in charge of making 'festival noodles' like a street-food-style noodle stir-fry (this was conceived during the sweet/sour/spicy splatfest when we wanted to make a dish that encompassed all of those elements and everyone liked them so much that we started making them every splatfest).

Anyway, then we'd all set up our consoles/monitors in the living room and play together coordinating outfits, doing silly meme comps, etc., until we got to ruler (or until we were too tired). It was just so much fun and I really miss doing that. It really was just celebrating it like a festival and having a good time no matter what.

These days most people I play with are just grinding to ruler out of FOMO and just want to 'get it over with'. It's just a chore to them, and if I'm being honest (and a little brutal), it becomes a chore to me having to listen to them complain about how much they want to stop playing and want it to be over. I just miss the lighthearted celebratory vibes we used to have. It gets exhausting feeling like I'm the only one driving an empty hype train. I think next splatfest I'm just going to have a little party for myself, lol.

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
Sorry to derail the thread a bit but this reminded me (and kind of made me miss) that for several splatfests before my IRL friends got tired of the game, we actually would meet friday night and throw little splatfest parties themed (to the best of our ability) around all the different teams. The food ones were the most fun because they were easy to theme around; others we had to get more creative. I remember for the cryptids one someone brought a chip dip with a little bell-pepper nessie in it:

View attachment 11261

but it was always so much fun; I was in charge of making 'festival noodles' like a street-food-style noodle stir-fry (this was conceived during the sweet/sour/spicy splatfest when we wanted to make a dish that encompassed all of those elements and everyone liked them so much that we started making them every splatfest).

Anyway, then we'd all set up our consoles/monitors in the living room and play together coordinating outfits, doing silly meme comps, etc., until we got to ruler (or until we were too tired). It was just so much fun and I really miss doing that. It really was just celebrating it like a festival and having a good time no matter what.

These days most people I play with are just grinding to ruler out of FOMO and just want to 'get it over with'. It's just a chore to them, and if I'm being honest (and a little brutal), it becomes a chore to me having to listen to them complain about how much they want to stop playing and want it to be over. I just miss the lighthearted celebratory vibes we used to have. It gets exhausting feeling like I'm the only one driving an empty hype train. I think next splatfest I'm just going to have a little party for myself, lol.
AW I LOVE THAT iā€™m gonna be thinking about bell pepper nessie all day thatā€™s so cute. that all sounds so fun, everyone else go home aiko and her friends were the only ones ever doing splatfests right

i donā€™t have any irl friends (at least out of the ones i still actually live close to) who play splatoon but i remember early on wishing i did because i kinda wanted to plan parties irl for fests šŸ˜­ i didnā€™t have any real ideas though, on account of knowing i wouldnā€™t actually be able to have any parties

god i relate to feeling like the only one who wants to celebrate though. this fest felt a little better in that regard (maybe in part because iā€™ve cut down a lot on looking at social media, where people are just like, publicly and proudly toxic over the silly squid festivals) and my play sessions with friends are usually more chances to hang out than everyone vocally struggling through the ruler grind but i just feel such a disconnect between how i want to experience splatfests and how the wider community seems to experience them. everybodyā€™s concerned with grinding their way to ruler or accusing other teams of being sweaty/toxic/tryhards/etc etc and iā€™m like. cā€™mon. hop around in the plaza and listen to the idols perform and maybe youā€™ll feel better

Eel-Ectric

Inkling
Pronouns
she/he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0840-7727-8401
yeah I've started to notice how people in the online community of splatoon see this game more as a chore rather than for fun (and I think it started to stick to me!)
I dunno, I feel like we're thinking about this whole thing wrong. We're just looking at completion and getting everything while forgetting to enjoy the actual journey to getting it.
I've started to try to forget about the collectibles and catalogue, although its definitely harder without irl splatoon friends lol.

shirpless

Inkling
yeah I've started to notice how people in the online community of splatoon see this game more as a chore rather than for fun (and I think it started to stick to me!)
I dunno, I feel like we're thinking about this whole thing wrong. We're just looking at completion and getting everything while forgetting to enjoy the actual journey to getting it.
I've started to try to forget about the collectibles and catalogue, although its definitely harder without irl splatoon friends lol.
It's certainly possible to find for-fun friends online imo! Like I found 2 from Under Pressure's Junior's Draft tourney, 3 from Spawning Grounds tourney, 1 from my team recruitment and I found my 3-year-long Splat friend through posting on a Discord intro channel like "Hi! I suck! Let's be bad together :D" (jk it's more like "Hi I just started dipping into ranked modes, C- rank on TC & SZ, looking for a fellow noob to be noob together!") on a sea of A rank or S rank intros, lol.

Heck, there's already a couple peeps here with the same feeling šŸ˜† Gathering chill folks from here can be a start!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom