How to fix Challenges

Cephalobro

Octarian Storyteller
Site Moderator
Right now, Challenges has a few issues, but those few issues are enough to make it the worst special event in Splatoon 3.

The first thing that will fix Challenges is to allow more timeslots, or to make Challenges more of a regional thing rather than worldwide. Either of those two will fix the first glaring problem, which the said problem is the timing in which most people won't get to play.

Secondly is how it's how long it is, it's ridiculous that for a 2 hour event, getting to the 5% on it is way too out of reach for many players simply because the event is way too short. Big Run and Eggstra Work don't have that problem because they go on long enough to allow most people to play them.

The third issue is how it's scored, due to it being in timeslots in which a large percentage of players won't be playing, it means that only the top competitive players will ever get to the 5% every single time, while everyone else only gets to the lower percentages. The way to fix this is to make the scoring more static rather than completely relying on player count, like 1750 to 1849 is 50%, 1850 to 1899 is 20%, and 1900 and above would be 5%.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
I think each region getting 3 specific rotations tailored to their time-zones would be nice. As for me at least, I only can play in 1 rotation most of the time with the current system.

I want to also briefly mention they're already doing repeat challenges with Too Many Trizookas coming up again. With the same map/mode combination as before. I can see why it would still be TC, but the same maps?

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i’ve been thinking a lot about the limited time window issue. thing is, i get the appeal of doing it how it’s done currently - making it a small, limited-time event sets it apart from big things like splatfests and big runs, imo - but as an Adult With a Job, who’s friends with other Adults With Jobs (with very different schedules than me), it gets hard to arrange time to play challenges in groups or even to play solo. i realize that ‘make sure 20-somethings with full-time jobs can play’ isn’t on the radar of the devs of an E10-rated game, but like… what about teenagers with summer jobs/volunteering/other activities? what about anyone with family or school obligations, or anyone with friends in other timezones?

i feel like just… making the windows a little longer, 4 or 6 hours instead of just 2, could improve the issue without giving challenges the same weight as larger events? maybe?

I think each region getting 3 specific rotations tailored to their time-zones would be nice. As for me at least, I only can play in 1 rotation most of the time with the current system.
seconding this as a solution as well! i’m pretty sure that, as it is, the three windows are made to account for different regions already - but, as we’ve learned by experience, two hours per region is woefully inadequate for a lot of players.

i’m not sure that the thresholds for top scores are caused by the limited windows, though, at least not completely - the same grievance can be (and often is) made about big run, and that lasts as long as splatfests do. regardless, i’m conflicted about seeing the top 50%/10%/5% thresholds as a problem to be solved, since… it wouldn’t really be the top X% if it was decided by static thresholds, right? but i also recognize that for a lot of players, who are neither competitive players nor motivated to become such, never being able to reach those high percentages can be demoralizing… i don’t want to just say ‘well, it’s a competitive game, get good or get okay with losing’, but i also don’t want to undermine the competitive nature of these events. i wonder if system rewarding players for just playing more, like how splatfest ranks work (though on a smaller scale), would be a step in the right direction.

Cephalobro

Octarian Storyteller
Site Moderator
To me, a system that rewards players for winning more rather than "get to this unknown threshold" is actually what worked for Splatfests and contributed to players wanting more Splatfests. A similar thing for Big Run, Eggstra Work, and Challenges should've been used. Instead of rewarding badges based on placement, it should've been the number of wins.

Tac

Inkster Jr.
i feel like just… making the windows a little longer, 4 or 6 hours instead of just 2, could improve the issue without giving challenges the same weight as larger events? maybe?
If the time windows were longer and we kept percentile scoring system, I think it would be too difficult to get a high score without playing for almost the entire rotation. In my opinion both the 2 hour time slots and the percentile scoring should be kept the same in order to be consistent with league/ anarchy open, as they function virtually the same (although I'm unsure if I'd want big run or eggstra work to ditch the threshold reward system because I haven't played them yet).

I'd prefer if the challenges lasted a week long with at least 14 time slots to play in. The biggest problem in my opinion is that many people simply aren't able to participate in the 3 challenge windows that we're given, due to the day and times. Scattering a bunch of time slots throughout a week at different would still make them feel limited, but make it far more likely that someone would be able to play in at least one. It'd also make it easier to fill in the punch card, provided you can show up for multiple time slots.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318

iVialeko

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5878-9511-9588
Tbh, I believe the only way to make challenges genuinely fun for everyone is to entirely scrap the power level thresholds and just allow it to be a fun party mode playlist full of fun wacky game types, free of the competitive aura it has rn. Allow each Game Type to last around a week or so, (with a new Game Type rotating in to replace it after the weekish long period) and just have it be what Team Action Sack is for Halo; fun party modes that casuals or competitive players alike can play and not have the pressure to have to score a certain threshold to gain a badge, and an experience that those who partake in can just unwind in and have fun without having to per say "compete" in. (think of the game night possibilities with this) Would be a great pairing alongside Turf War we already have in the game, but with some fun wacky creative modes people can partake in. And if people really do want bronze, silver, and gold thresholds and stature brought into a more competitive environment via the ranked modes, then the "Monthly Challenges" we have now (with Rainmaker, Clam Blitz, Splat Zones, and Tower Control) can just be separated into its own category within Anarchy Battles as an every once a month thing with those percentage benchmarks intact so they don't just go to waste.. It would accommodate everyone doing it this way, because I did not think from watching the summer season trailer that this mode would end up being competitive and branded as "Challenges" but rather instead a bunch of party casual modes people could play that's within League Battles or Anarchy Open.. And I think it was a missed opportunity to not have this be its own party-like experience with a totally different atmosphere to it but instead being just another sub-genre of ranked.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1681140558356533248 Apparently this is intentional as part of a set of reruns.
Huh... well that explains it, and I'd be glad to play Foggy Notion again. So I suppose this might be a reoccurring trend in the future. That's pretty neat.

Tbh, I believe the only way to make challenges genuinely fun for everyone is to entirely scrap the power level thresholds and just allow it to be a fun party mode playlist full of fun wacky game types, free of the competitive aura it has rn.
It is a bit odd for, from my perspective, a seemingly casual-focused mode to have a noticeable competitive edge to it. Like sure, you could just ignore the power ratings and stuff but easier said than done. Feels like just a hold over from Splat2's league mode that should've been applied Anarchy Open as that's more akin to League.

Even still, my main gripe with Challenges is still the infrequent schedule so I'd like to see them address that first, if that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom