• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How was your success with the updated abilities?

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
All defense up and bomb sniffer, it is pretty useless on any bomb but burst bombs. The defense setup has 3ks regretting burst bomb rushing me. However I do not exactly agree having to do this setup just because of one broken weapon loadout. The other bombs simply do too much damage, like if you lived before you live now, if you got splatted before you get splatted now. It only helps with the outer edge of it (where you did live before) however the bombsniffer and defense setup at that siutation helps you live a bit longer if you are taking damage from other things.

So it is nice for 3ks but I feel having a build like this should give a bit more to survivability then what it offers. The wort part however is that it does not effect burst bomb push and that can splat just as fast as before if it pushes you in the "wrong directions"

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I do feel :ability_inkrecovery:,:ability_inksavermain:, and :ability_tenacity: work really well, although they worked good pre patch anyways.

:ability_lastditcheffort: and :ability_openinggambit: are okay, the stat boosts are really strong, but are somewhat situational with the short time period.

:ability_recon: is decent but not for my playstyle as I don't super jump much (unless there are beakons)

:ability_comeback: is good when combined with :ability_swimspeed: or :ability_quicksuperjump:, you have to get to the front lines quickly to make the boosts count.

I haven't really tried :ability_bombsniffer:, :ability_haunt:, :ability_specialduration:, or :ability_inksaversub:, although I am curious about how effective Special Duration is on :killerwail: and :inkstrike:, as well as if it is possible to throw two :splatbomb: or :suctionbomb: out in one tank with enough Ink Saver Sub.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I do feel :ability_inkrecovery:,:ability_inksavermain:, and :ability_tenacity: work really well, although they worked good pre patch anyways.

:ability_lastditcheffort: and :ability_openinggambit: are okay, the stat boosts are really strong, but are somewhat situational with the short time period.

:ability_recon: is decent but not for my playstyle as I don't super jump much (unless there are beakons)

:ability_comeback: is good when combined with :ability_swimspeed: or :ability_quicksuperjump:, you have to get to the front lines quickly to make the boosts count.

I haven't really tried :ability_bombsniffer:, :ability_haunt:, :ability_specialduration:, or :ability_inksaversub:, although I am curious about how effective Special Duration is on :killerwail: and :inkstrike:, as well as if it is possible to throw two :splatbomb: or :suctionbomb: out in one tank with enough Ink Saver Sub.
I should really use these icons more. They make the messages so appealing here.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Personally the only ability that was buffed in the patch that I have been using is :ability_haunt: and I do enjoy using it. On the Slosher Deco I can lose in situations so the enemy gets tagged and when I'm tagged I take great advantage of the damage and defense buffs though run speed does basically nothing for Sloshers.

I've also noticed other players with haunt on several occasions in ranked so it's nice that it's getting a bit more appreciation.

:ability_inksaversub: if it is possible to throw two :splatbomb: or :suctionbomb: out in one tank with enough Ink Saver Sub.
With 3 mains and two subs worth of :ability_inksaversub: or more, yes.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
I'm really liking the buff to :ability_recon: knowing what weapons the enemy has really makes planning where to go from spawn a lot easier.

Color

Inkster Jr.
NNID
cubecolor
I'm really liking the buff to :ability_recon: knowing what weapons the enemy has really makes planning where to go from spawn a lot easier.
Yeah definitely, I've been using recon since the update and it really helps with flanking, and it's nice to know where the sniper is perched so I can avoid them easier.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
About the :ability_inksaversub: to throw two bombs, I think it's not as good as it sounds. Of course, having the possibility to throw instantly two might be good in some situations. You can even imagine being two in a team, launching 4 bombs at the same time and so on. It obviously has some potential. But if you like throwing lots of bombs, I think you'll be better off with :ability_inkrecovery:. Just throw one, wait a bit (so that the reload begins) and then thorw another. For two bombs, first option is faster, but if you want to thros 4, 5, or just be a bomb-thrower, I believe you'll like the second option better. And the :ability_inkrecovery: is useful with your main weapon too.

Personnally the update didn't change my playstile at all. I'm kinda waiting for players to annoy me with these, so that I can think about it. Though it's true I didn't try the :ability_specialduration: on :killerwail: and especially on :inkstrike:. I'll try this tonight, just to know.

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
I was not a terrific fan of the new :ability_bombsniffer:, but that is mainly because I am a total :ability_inkresistance: junkie and I still think that it is the best ability in the game, hands down.

:ability_lastditcheffort: is very situational as mentioned above but could be super OP in the right ranked games.

The buffs to :killerwail: are quite noticeable and they greatly benefit both user and opponent. The opponent has an easier target to avoid and the user has a muuuuch improved finishing lag.

I like the idea of using :ability_recon: for flanks...maybe I'll work that into the new Octoshot build I'm planning.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
I should probably mention that while :ability_specialduration: was fixed for :inkstrike: and :killerwail: it still has no effect on :echolocator: so the ability is still worthless with any weapon that has that.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I've really been loving Recon since the update. It's been a huge help with my Octobrush to be able to see where the enemy is and what weapons they are using. It can keep me safer from snipers who are hidden and can help me plan the best route to take. It's been very helpful and I'm quite fond of it. c:

Opening Gambit with an N-Zap is just hilarious. :P I've used it and it's great for Rainmaker. I can get to the Rainmaker quicker than anyone else and give my team a slight advantage over the opposing team. You move very fast. You practically walk at regular speed while you shoot. It also helps with the Rainmaker. You can move much quicker and smoother. It's easy to get a significant lead if you're good with the Rainmaker and have a competent team behind you - as in someone inking you a path so you can get the Rainmaker as far as possible before Opening Gambit stops working. I dunno. I think I just find it more funny to use with the N-Zap than anything else. :P

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
About the :ability_inksaversub: to throw two bombs, I think it's not as good as it sounds. Of course, having the possibility to throw instantly two might be good in some situations. You can even imagine being two in a team, launching 4 bombs at the same time and so on. It obviously has some potential. But if you like throwing lots of bombs, I think you'll be better off with :ability_inkrecovery:. Just throw one, wait a bit (so that the reload begins) and then thorw another. For two bombs, first option is faster, but if you want to thros 4, 5, or just be a bomb-thrower, I believe you'll like the second option better. And the :ability_inkrecovery: is useful with your main weapon too.
In my opinion the best option is with a build that combines :ability_inksaversub:ink saver (sub), :ability_lastditcheffort:last ditch effort, and :ability_inkrecovery:ink recovery up. This way your build isn't heavily reliant on just :ability_inksaversub: and will benefit you all around so you can easily throw a bomb and have plenty of shots left. When last ditch effort activates you would then have access to double bomb throw through to the end of the match.
It's also possible to combine with comeback:ability_comeback: for a temporary double bomb throw but I feel like :ability_lastditcheffort: would combine better.

An example build:
Octoglasses :ability_lastditcheffort:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Dark Urban Vest :ability_coldblooded:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Any shiny shoe with a combination of either :ability_inksaversub:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: or :ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:

If you prefer ink resistance instead of cold-blooded then you could replace the clothing with a pure :ability_inksaversub:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: and use Neon sea slugs shoes :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

Granted these are just theory builds as I've yet to test myself but I do think they could be great.

I should probably mention that while :ability_specialduration: was fixed for :inkstrike: and :killerwail: it still has no effect on :echolocator: so the ability is still worthless with any weapon that has that.
Sorry, but that's not true. :ability_specialduration: has always worked on :echolocator: it's just not as apparent as lag can affect how long the echolocation appears for and cold-blooded still drastically shortens it.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well it hasn't changed that much for me. I still use :ability_haunt: the same, namely on weapons that don't mind being taggged as much. I still use :ability_comeback: :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_inksavermain: :ability_tenacity:the same, and still find :ability_specialduration: and :ability_bombsniffer: to not be worth it. I have started using :ability_lastditcheffort: and that's been nice, and I haven't tried :ability_openinggambit: :ability_recon: :ability_inksaversub: but my usage of them probably wont change.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I'll have to try the ink saver sub and recovery up. Having those buffed would really help weapons that consume lots of ink

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Not to brag but i made level a minus and level a for thw first times today so it is doing well

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
The buff too :ability_inksaversub: is really nice on the :wst_shot_first00: or any weapon with :suctionbomb: or :splatbomb: without any :ability_inksaversub: the bombs use up 70% of the ink tank. The maximum :ability_inksaversub: was increased to 35%, 35% off of 70% is 45.5% which would mean that you could throw two bombs before needing more ink if you stacked at least 28.6% which I confirmed in game is at 3 mains and 2 subs (2 main and 5 subs also confirmed to work), but it takes your whole ink tank.

So that means that you could throw 4 bombs all at once if you throw 2 activated your special and throw 2 more. Its like having a mini bomb rush with any special!

I just finished a match where someone kept using :bombrushsuctionbomb: but I happened to have :bubbler: and throw 4 :splatbomb: around them while bubbling and walking straight into their bombs. It was pretty wild and generally ended in a double kill without a scratch! I'd say a fun novelty build but probably not something I'd take to solo queue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom