• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I calculated how tall Inklings are, and they're tiny!

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
Hi, I decided just for the sake of it to see if there was a way to know the size of the Inklings relative to humans, and it turns there is.

I posted it on my Tumblr, but basically I used the NES Zapper as a reference. My conclusion is that the Inklings are 1'9", which is way smaller than I expected.

What do you guys think?

Leaf [LS]

Full Squid
NNID
Leafstorm64
Why? I don't know this story.
Just do me a favor and take a day and look at the pokedex or you can go to the jwitz youtube channel where he has two videos on how ridiculous things are.

One example is dunsparce is just as tall as a salamance according to the pokedex

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Sorry if it seems that I'm blatantly refuting your evidence, but I think that there's a much more direct piece of information given by the game that implies a very different conclusion. Namely, the fifth Sunken Scroll from Octo Valley:
EU/OC text said:
'Limbs: Can leap up to 1.5m'
(The USA version says "5 feet", so basically the same.) In that case, we just need to look at how high they jump in the game. It's easy to see in Inkopolis Plaza that one can just about jump over a fellow Inkling, which implies to me that their height is actually something like 1.4~1.5m.

However... I realise that the Scroll is referring to the maximum jump height of an Inkling. So we could potentially infer that in-game jumps are just of a height that the character can sustain over the course of an endurance-intensive battle and they aren't nearly jumping at full capacity. In that case, the scroll doesn't necessarily contradict the Zapper theory. Still, I think that it's more likely that the Zapper is just scaled up considerably to match the size of other Shooters and, more importantly, be visible and identifiable on an enemy from a distance.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Sorry if it seems that I'm blatantly refuting your evidence, but I think that there's a much more direct piece of information given by the game that implies a very different conclusion. Namely, the fifth Sunken Scroll from Octo Valley:

(The USA version says "5 feet", so basically the same.) In that case, we just need to look at how high they jump in the game. It's easy to see in Inkopolis Plaza that one can just about jump over a fellow Inkling, which implies to me that their height is actually something like 1.4~1.5m.

However... I realise that the Scroll is referring to the maximum jump height of an Inkling. So we could potentially infer that in-game jumps are just of a height that the character can sustain over the course of an endurance-intensive battle and they aren't nearly jumping at full capacity. In that case, the scroll doesn't necessarily contradict the Zapper theory. Still, I think that it's more likely that the Zapper is just scaled up considerably to match the size of other Shooters and, more importantly, be visible and identifiable on an enemy from a distance.
could be referencing super jump?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
could be referencing super jump?
I did consider that, but that seems unrealistic the other way around - if that were the case, Inklings couldn't be taller than 20cm, at a quick estimate. There's probably a fundamental distinction between regular and "Super" jumping. After all, the Scroll is referring to the limb strength of Inklings (admittedly not the US version, which just says "strength"), but Super Jumps are performed in squid form.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I did consider that, but that seems unrealistic the other way around - if that were the case, Inklings couldn't be taller than 20cm, at a quick estimate. There's probably a fundamental distinction between regular and "Super" jumping. After all, the Scroll is referring to the limb strength of Inklings (admittedly not the US version, which just says "strength"), but Super Jumps are performed in squid form.
well we know they are pretty small comparing to judd so, just sure how small

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
Well, if we could compare the fax machine(obviously old human tech) to the Inklings, that would help.
We just have one photo of the fax machine, with no one around. It won't help us with scale, unfortunately.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221

I didn't consider the Sunken Scrolls when making this, but yes, it seems to point to a different direction than my analysis. However, the implication is that this scroll in particular is Octarian propaganda, calling Inklings “terrifying” and such. Maybe there's the possibility that the info is exaggerated and not accurate. I don't know.

To be fair, I just made this as a quick calculation, something that just occurred to me. Maybe I could try and look around more clues about the relative sizes of everything.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Inkling buildings all seem to be about regular sized or even taller (think of how gigantic Moray Towers is for a parking garage) so the Inklings come across as being about as tall as regular teenagers, with other species being on average shorter (Jellyfish, except for the Fashion Week ones) or taller (Crusty Sean and probably Spyke). Inklings are also all exactly the same height, which makes sense from a gameplay point of view but would be very weird in real life.

I'd be more concerned with how an electric catfish the size of a cotton-pickin' blue whale is able to support itself on Inkopolis Tower without collapsing the whole thing.

Oh, and on the Pokemon thing: Onix is 9 meters long weighs only 210kg. It's made of rock, it should weigh ten times that amount, easily. Nintendo likes to play loose with its numbers for sure (note how big the Landmaster tank is in Star Fox, it's the size of a house and can FLY)

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Inkling buildings all seem to be about regular sized or even taller (think of how gigantic Moray Towers is for a parking garage) so the Inklings come across as being about as tall as regular teenagers, with other species being on average shorter (Jellyfish, except for the Fashion Week ones) or taller (Crusty Sean and probably Spyke). Inklings are also all exactly the same height, which makes sense from a gameplay point of view but would be very weird in real life.

I'd be more concerned with how an electric catfish the size of a cotton-pickin' blue whale is able to support itself on Inkopolis Tower without collapsing the whole thing.

Oh, and on the Pokemon thing: Onix is 9 meters long weighs only 210kg. It's made of rock, it should weigh ten times that amount, easily. Nintendo likes to play loose with its numbers for sure (note how big the Landmaster tank is in Star Fox, it's the size of a house and can FLY)
you can't quote that =.= seeing something that is 5 feet tall from 2 feet view point is little different then say seeing something 8 feet tall from 5 feet tall view point.

for the towers stage it could be some kind of human replica or some kind of remains. callie and marie do say the "parking lot is empty"

Since judd was from the human world time, that is the only true reference, everything else can ague scaled down.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
you can't quote that =.= seeing something that is 5 feet tall from 2 feet view point is little different then say seeing something 8 feet tall from 5 feet tall view point.

for the towers stage it could be some kind of human replica or some kind of remains. callie and marie do say the "parking lot is empty"

Since judd was from the human world time, that is the only true reference, everything else can ague scaled down.
Good point about Judd, though he seemed way, WAY bigger than a normal cat in the Scrolls. And he's still a good foot shorter than the Inklings

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
We could try to use Judd. If we find the average height of a cat it shouldn't be too hard to calculate. Actually, use heights that are some amount taller and shorter than a normal cat.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
Why a replica? Cars do exist in the Splatoon universe, and we can actually see some cars inside the towers while playing (if I remember correctly).

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
We could try to use Judd. If we find the average height of a cat it shouldn't be too hard to calculate. Actually, use heights that are some amount taller and shorter than a normal cat.
Yes, whenever I get the chance, I will use Judd as a reference too.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Why a replica? Cars do exist in the Splatoon universe, and we can actually see some cars inside the towers while playing (if I remember correctly).
ex mocia (sp?) nintendo wanted to make a stage and poof it was made. but even with that callie and marie reference it being empty so... you can say replica or still standing from humans. (remember octo valley has human like buildings underground too)

Remember one of the scrolls does show human owner holding judd so that can help things too

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom