• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I calculated how tall Inklings are, and they're tiny!

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686

A scan from my art book frame by frame (including unused frames) for the Splatfest trailer. Compare Judd's head to the Squid Sisters' heads.

Also I did not scan the other page as of yet and as you can see it comes off cut off here but those frames were used for the Splatfest trailer.

At 0:46 you see Judd standing with the Squid Sisters.

Have fun speculating.

I could scan the other page if you want.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3

A scan from my art book frame by frame (including unused frames) for the Splatfest trailer. Compare Judd's head to the Squid Sisters' heads.

Also I did not scan the other page as of yet and as you can see it comes off cut off here but those frames were used for the Splatfest trailer.

At 0:46 you see Judd standing with the Squid Sisters.

Have fun speculating.

I could scan the other page if you want.
so why does he get that small on zoom out when he is like 1/2? my height? or so when i go collect coins.

Ott

Inkster Jr.
We may be forgetting that Inklings are about fourteen years old. Callie and Marie are probably older. Spyke is definitely older. It's a fair assumption that Inklings grow. If we could figure out what ages those three are, we might be able to come up with an average growth rate of Inklings. We could then scour the game for any definite measurement, and figure it out. We will have to account for Spyke being a sea urchin, but he might be useful. I suggest looking at the gals, which are made from car parts, apparently. (Is that canon?)

Shuggi

Senior Squid
NNID
Splatshuggi
We may be forgetting that Inklings are about fourteen years old. Callie and Marie are probably older. Spyke is definitely older. It's a fair assumption that Inklings grow. If we could figure out what ages those three are, we might be able to come up with an average growth rate of Inklings. We could then scour the game for any definite measurement, and figure it out. We will have to account for Spyke being a sea urchin, but he might be useful. I suggest looking at the gals, which are made from car parts, apparently. (Is that canon?)
Callie and Marie are definitely in the early twenties, and Spyke being in his late 30's

Zeriel00

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zeriel00
I think you can't use the Nzapper for reference because I think it's not the same as our version of the Nzapper, I think it's a replica since remember Splatoon happens around 15,000 years in the future lol but I think there is a way to know for sure.

Use the Squid Sister's live concert models! Is the only time they appear in our real world then Estimate an Inkling that it's a head smaller. I'm thinking Inklings should be around 3' tall

Zeriel00

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zeriel00
Guys you are forgetting something important we can use as a measure just like the N-Zap... The sparrows!!! :D
That's a good one! but what if they evolved to be bigger or smaller after 15,000 years :p

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Another suggestion, perhaps a little quirkier, is to consider Super Sea Snails! Hear me out: they're pretty clearly modelled on Super Mushrooms from Mario, having a similar shape, size and eyes, as well as sharing the Super prefix. So what if we assume them to be exactly the same size?

We can then apply known size reference frames from Mario to Splatoon. Mario Galaxy has perhaps the most helpful Mushrooms; in previous 3D Mario games, we only see 1-Ups which are tiny compared to how they look in other titles, but Mario Galaxy has mushrooms as they appear in side-scrollers. We can compare these, for example, to the outsize coconuts in those games... space coconuts, so maybe not the best of examples.

No, yes, forget the Galaxy-specific points - main idea is that I like to think that that's a plausible reference frame.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Cuttleshock, a bit round about... and now I want to know the height, and age, of characters in the Mario franchise are.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
There's got to be a source for Mario's height, but I'd be more doubtful of any claims of his age. How about this: compare them to other characters in Super Smash Bros.!... which is a terrible idea because many of them are totally off-scale - Dedede should be one of the smaller characters, Charizard too, Olimar is two centimetres...

Zeriel00

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zeriel00
I've seen people say that Mario's around 5 feet tall
And I also read that he's 26 according to a Melee trophy
26 my ***! I refuse to believe that soon I'll be older than Mario!!!!!!! xD
Common he's like 40, America just censors it because Peach looks really young :p

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
26 my ***! I refuse to believe that soon I'll be older than Mario!!!!!!! xD
Common he's like 40, America just censors it because Peach looks really young :p
And/or we can't have a (unmarried) princess be over 20/30. It's unseemly! Just like having heroes 30 and over (who aren't grisly, musclely, or unhappy) is unseemly. Think of the children!

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I've seen people say that Mario's around 5 feet tall
And I also read that he's 26 according to a Melee trophy
If Mario is 5 feet tall, and he can jump at least five times his own height, that means that Mario can jump 25 feet from standing and even more with a running start. Which means he can jump over a two story building. One heck of a vertical there, especially for a guy with that much pudge.

The Inkling's dinky jumps are much more realistic in comparison.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
I think you can't use the Nzapper for reference because I think it's not the same as our version of the Nzapper
I'm pretty sure it's implied to be the real N-Zappers, or if they're not, they're damn accurate replicas, because the smallest details like the Nintendo logo and some screws are identical to the real deal. The only weapon explicitly said to be modded is Sheldon's N-ZAP '83.

The sparrows!!! :D
I don't remember if it was here or on Reddit, but someone else made a different calculation using the sparrows as a basis, and got results similar to mine. But yeah, maybe they evolved as well.

Mario, Smash Bros., etc.
No. First, Smash Bros' scales are all over the place, with the most evident example of inconsistency being Olimar. But even if we reduce our scope to the Mushroom Kingdom... well, Mario has never met the Inkling outside of SFM animations, and there's no reason to assume the sea snails and the mushrooms are the same size.

Zeriel00

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zeriel00
I'm pretty sure it's implied to be the real N-Zappers, or if they're not, they're damn accurate replicas, because the smallest details like the Nintendo logo and some screws are identical to the real deal. The only weapon explicitly said to be modded is Sheldon's N-ZAP '83.

I don't remember if it was here or on Reddit, but someone else made a different calculation using the sparrows as a basis, and got results similar to mine. But yeah, maybe they evolved as well.

No. First, Smash Bros' scales are all over the place, with the most evident example of inconsistency being Olimar. But even if we reduce our scope to the Mushroom Kingdom... well, Mario has never met the Inkling outside of SFM animations, and there's no reason to assume the sea snails and the mushrooms are the same size.
Ah ok I have a question, if they're 1'9, wouldn't the N-zap look giant on their hands? I mean it's meant to fit a normal human that's normally around 5' tall,
that's why I thought it wouldn't be a normal sized gun.

Great job btw, keep it up!

Maave

Inkling Commander
Ah ok I have a question, if they're 1'9, wouldn't the N-zap look giant on their hands? I mean it's meant to fit a normal human that's normally around 5' tall,
that's why I thought it wouldn't be a normal sized gun.

Great job btw, keep it up!
Inklings have big cartoony hands compared to their bodies. Also the N-Zap is big but all the other weapons are bigger. Many weapons in splat are bigger than the inklings' bodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom