I kind of don't want Stealth Jump to return in Splatoon 2.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Stealth Jump. Special Duration Up. Bubbler. RIP
Stealth Jump. Swim Speed Up. Kraken. RIP
Stealth Jump. Ninja Squid. Bamboolzer.

Do not take such lulz from me!

I don't think it's a bad or broken ability in itself. Aesthetically you might as well remove Ninja Squid while you're at it. I find it a feature that it's a shoe exclusive not only aesthetically (because you're jumping) but mechanically in forcing you to choose between it and some other useful shoe exclusive.

It just gets a poor reputation when paired with quick respawn stacking... often on tower control... But I don't think it should be removed as a result, or because someone doesn't like it when an opponent suddenly drops in unannounced to proselytize about accepting salt into your diet.

Last edited:

Maave

Inkling Commander
2. Nerfing SJ to prevent you from jumping directly on to the Tower in TC - this last one particularly as it is the only tactic for which there does not exist a reliable way of stopping it
Nerfing SJ only on the tower would be nice. Instead of preventing tower jumps, perhaps cancel the stealth (show the jump point) if the player is jumping to the tower.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
Stealth Jump + Splash Down + Tower Control = Meteor on-demand
You're forgetting the "you can't attack while jumping" rule of SJ. You'd have to finish jumping and wait several frames first before you can begin the splash down animation. There's plenty of time for the alert player to take a stealth jumper out before they can get that off. It'd be similar to a dynamo jumping on tower and trying to 1hko you. Dangerous yes, but by no means broken or impossible to counter.

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I just hope that quick respawn and stealth jump won't be used in tandem so often. Because in these days, you can't get a high ranking Tower Control map without seeing the combo. It's eaten up competitive, and misleads players into going for trades.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You're forgetting the "you can't attack while jumping" rule of SJ. You'd have to finish jumping and wait several frames first before you can begin the splash down animation. There's plenty of time for the alert player to take a stealth jumper out before they can get that off. It'd be similar to a dynamo jumping on tower and trying to 1hko you. Dangerous yes, but by no means broken or impossible to counter.
So to go in a different direction, Splashdown wielders stacking Quick Super Jump might be a thing :D

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
*GASP*

Then we should remove Quick Super Jump to prevent a hailstorm trend of swift inky meteors that risk knocking the planet out of alignment!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
In some ways, stealth jump will be less of a threat in the sequel because of splashdown. I mean, people are still going to do it, but all of a sudden there's the possibility that an incoming player will do an instant-death area attack. Doesn't matter if you can see them coming or not if they can initiate that on the way down! Looking at footage, the window to take out a flying splashdown player before impact seems pretty tiny.

Eyes to the sky, boys and girls!

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Don't players see the impact zone of splash down though? Falling from greater heights may lead to more time to move out of the way.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Hey, fellow Stealth Jump user here. Heavily reliant on it myself for my tactics, so here's my 2 cents.

Stealth Jump can be comparable to Ninja Squid in some ways- both give the advantage of surprise attacks, and sneaking into areas undetected. This does not mean that they're over powered though. When your in a Turf or Ranked battle you should have your eyes peeled and ears listening for any suspicious activity in the first place. Just like someone hiding in their own ink or around a corner or high place. You have to keep on your toes.

And from experience, people have managed to splat me even when I've Stealth Jumped into an area. A well placed Sniper or quick thinking by any person close by. These things have taken me out before even when trying to make a quick escape after landing. And yes- even on tower control. A well placed Ink Mine can easily counter it in some cases.

And in regards to Splash Down usage- isn't there a audio cue for it? Id so, treat it like a Ink Strike. May be harder to avoid than one, but not impossible with that sight pause it does in the air before making impact.

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
And in regards to Splash Down usage- isn't there a audio cue for it? Id so, treat it like a Ink Strike. May be harder to avoid than one, but not impossible with that sight pause it does in the air before making impact
Like Fullmental said, you cannot jump and attack while using stealth jump.
You're forgetting the "you can't attack while jumping" rule of SJ.
Also, the area of effect it displays is still very noticeable, I doubt it would be OP. I'd imagine a kraken to be much more devastating with the ability, as you can freely swim and control your kraken, instead of being fixated at the one point where splatdown occurs. Also, since splatdown marks where you land with the huge circle, doesn't that ruin stealth jump's purpose anyway, since your landing will be marked.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Like Fullmental said, you cannot jump and attack while using stealth jump.
Ah, I completely missed that. My bad. (Can't believe I never really noticed it myself when using it either...)

But as you stated the attack area when pulling it off is noticeable. So no problem with that in terms of evading that special.

NNID
benimarucollider
You're forgetting the "you can't attack while jumping" rule of SJ.
Technically it's not a rule, really. This effect was more of means to nerfing it for the 2.8.0 patch, because you could just do that until then.

So really, there's no telling if they might pull up a complete 180 and make the SJ back to how it used to be, but it would be dumb. Really dumb.

I really don't want to see some kind of chump pull this out with his scrubby SJ on.

Edit: Really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom