• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 I need help: skipping by 10 in S+

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Sorry to say this to you but using meta weapons will help. Tentatek isn’t meta in my opinion, because of the Inkjet being only a mediocre sub, but that’s debatable.
Splatlings are great for Splat Zones, and Weapons that have Splashdown and Baller because they can cover most of the zone. Common shooters are also good here because they can cover fast.
Blasters are good at a Tower Control, because their Blasts cover all of or most of the whole tower.
Really any good fighting weapon can be good at Rainmaker, but weapons with a start up time (Dynamo, Chargers, Splatlings) tend to struggle because they can’t pop the shield very fast.
Ink brush and Octobrush are both probably the best weapons you can have in a Clam Blitz, because you can zoom around the map. People say the Forge is good for the Bubbles, and they can help protect you.
How will using the meta make somebody skip ranks faster? (besides the obvious, "the weapon is stronger")

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
How will using the meta make somebody skip ranks faster? (besides the obvious, "the weapon is stronger")
Well literally that is what I was going to say. Because they are stronger. As in tips that you have with your current weapons...IDK. Maybe picking up a weapon that is more in the Meta but is still pretty similar... like going from a Splat Charger to Splatterscope

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Well literally that is what I was going to say. Because they are stronger. As in tips that you have with your current weapons...IDK. Maybe picking up a weapon that is more in the Meta but is still pretty similar... like going from a Splat Charger to Splatterscope
Okay but the weapon you use doesn't matter as long as you're good at it. And 95% of people agree that the unscoped varient is far superior to the scope because it allows for more movement and flexibility while still using a charger. Also the situations you described earlier for certain picks on certain modes are certainly not game-defining unless you're in like C rank. Sure blasters can clear the tower easier, but what really defines every game is what goes on outside/off the objective. If you can't win your 1v1's you lose and there's no debate to that. You need to pick weapons based on their ability to perform on certain maps and modes, and not just picking a brush on clam blitz just because you can run around. People in S+ are smart enough to notice your tendencies, like I once came upon a blaster running 12 swim speeds and just suicide ran with the rainmaker for points not actually trying to kill anybody. I noticed this fairly quickly and it allowed me to shut him down. If you're just using a blaster on tower control to kill people on tower if I see you while riding tower I'm just gonna hop off and kill you, or just never get on the tower until I kill you. All in all using atleast mid-tier weapons, as long as you're good at them will give you good success. Also choose weapons you like, which will give you more motivation to get better at it. You're thinking way too basic on your weapon picks.

But back on skipping ranks I don't know, man. I think it was The One who posted a pic from splatnet where he got like 7 knockouts in a row in zones, and his rank only went up by 1. But at the same time, some people have skipped with 3 cracks. I don't think you can ever skip ranks again if you missed earlier opportunities to do so. People say maybe there's a power level requirement but despite ranking up with 0/1 cracks in 2000-2100 lobbies I never skip. Doesn't matter too much to me anymore because I'm gonna be X rank in about a month, but in case you're wondering, I got here with Hero Charger, Slosher, Slosher Deco, Mini Splatling, Hero Shot, Gold Dynamo, Custom E-Liter 4k Scope, Blaster, Range Blaster, N-Zap 85, Heavy Splatling Deco, Firefin Scope, Splattershot Pro, Forge Pro. I think those are all the weapons I've used for at least a week straight in ranked For the past 8 months.

Koopon

Roller/Blaster Main
Switch Friend Code
SW-6418-2499-7488
I think rank skipping has something to do with the little shine you get on your weapon if you're doing really well. Last night in ranked I started noticing a little glint effect that would appear on my gun when the game started. This only started once I had won ~10 games in a row with high KDA's in all of them. I suspect that this has something to do with skipping.
Interesting idea. I think the glint is for weapons you have at Fresh or Super Fresh.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Okay but the weapon you use doesn't matter as long as you're good at it. And 95% of people agree that the unscoped varient is far superior to the scope because it allows for more movement and flexibility while still using a charger. Also the situations you described earlier for certain picks on certain modes are certainly not game-defining unless you're in like C rank. Sure blasters can clear the tower easier, but what really defines every game is what goes on outside/off the objective. If you can't win your 1v1's you lose and there's no debate to that. You need to pick weapons based on their ability to perform on certain maps and modes, and not just picking a brush on clam blitz just because you can run around. People in S+ are smart enough to notice your tendencies, like I once came upon a blaster running 12 swim speeds and just suicide ran with the rainmaker for points not actually trying to kill anybody. I noticed this fairly quickly and it allowed me to shut him down. If you're just using a blaster on tower control to kill people on tower if I see you while riding tower I'm just gonna hop off and kill you, or just never get on the tower until I kill you. All in all using atleast mid-tier weapons, as long as you're good at them will give you good success. Also choose weapons you like, which will give you more motivation to get better at it. You're thinking way too basic on your weapon picks.

But back on skipping ranks I don't know, man. I think it was The One who posted a pic from splatnet where he got like 7 knockouts in a row in zones, and his rank only went up by 1. But at the same time, some people have skipped with 3 cracks. I don't think you can ever skip ranks again if you missed earlier opportunities to do so. People say maybe there's a power level requirement but despite ranking up with 0/1 cracks in 2000-2100 lobbies I never skip. Doesn't matter too much to me anymore because I'm gonna be X rank in about a month, but in case you're wondering, I got here with Hero Charger, Slosher, Slosher Deco, Mini Splatling, Hero Shot, Gold Dynamo, Custom E-Liter 4k Scope, Blaster, Range Blaster, N-Zap 85, Heavy Splatling Deco, Firefin Scope, Splattershot Pro, Forge Pro. I think those are all the weapons I've used for at least a week straight in ranked For the past 8 months.
Well, I am in S+ in all game modes, and my strategies work. But I do definitely agree that every game mode doesn’t have to specifically have those weapons. But it is definitely agreed upon that Inkbrush Noveau is a great weapon for Clam Blitz. But really any weapon is viable, just not recommended. And when you say I am not being broad enough about my weapon picks, I am recommending whole entire classes of weapons, How is that being picky, and not broad enough? Overall I am agreeing for the most part with what you are saying, if you are good with a weapon, definitely play that weapon. I am just saying that players who have the same skill with a meta weapon in the same class will tend to do better, while not in everything (for example a Hydra Splatling is horrible at rushing enemies) the majority of the time they will be better overall.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
For example:
The Mini Splatling could arguably be the best Splatling in the game, because it can rush enemies. However it doesn’t have much when it comes to defense. But just because it is better at offense then the Heavy Splatling doesn’t mean it’s better. And it still depends on the game mode and map. In Clam Blitz mostly but also in Rainmaker, having somebody defend the area near your home base could be helpful, so in those modes it could be argued that the Heavy Splatling could be better. But let’s say in Splat Zones, if you want to be aggressive in the zone, somebody might want to play a Mini, because of being on offense a lot in the zone. So every mode has different metas yes, but meta weapons tend to do better in more modes than other non meta weapons

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's worth noting that a lot of this discussion may well be moot in a month. Rank X may well bring changes to the rank system along with it, particularly rank skipping - right now it's technically possible to leap from S+0 to rank X, and that may not be possible soon. Just something to consider.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
It's worth noting that a lot of this discussion may well be moot in a month. Rank X may well bring changes to the rank system along with it, particularly rank skipping - right now it's technically possible to leap from S+0 to rank X, and that may not be possible soon. Just something to consider.
Yeah. I have really only rank skipped once. That was my first few ranked battles, I skipped from like C- to like A- or something. I did get like a 10 game win streak in S, but I didn’t skip.

Jon914

Pro Squid
According to a Japanese app, shines are assigned by:

(Wins - Losses) >= 5 for the last 32 games for that weapon, in that rank.

I have played a lot of solo this past month, have gone shiny a lot, and this equation has been consistent with my findings. This also explains why you can lose a lot and still remain shiny.

Last edited:

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
According to a Japanese app, shines are assigned by:

(Wins - Losses) >= 5 for the last 32 games for that weapon, in that rank.

I have played a lot of solo this past month, have gone shiny a lot, and this equation has been consistent with my findings. This also explains why you can lose a lot and still remain shiny.
Yeah you could lose a lot of games and still have it

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Shininess certainly has nothing to do with Freshness. I've gotten shiny weapons only a couple of times, but it was always with weapons I have terrible ratings with in Turf Wars.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Shininess certainly has nothing to do with Freshness. I've gotten shiny weapons only a couple of times, but it was always with weapons I have terrible ratings with in Turf Wars.
It's actually not even possible to be shiny and have a superfresh at the same time. Freshness is exclusive to Turf War, and shiny is only in ranked.

Kisy

Inkling
NNID
Kisywisy
You can have a shiny weapon that has also reached superfresh.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
^^Yeah just watched a dude on Twitch the other day go from S+ 8 to S+18. He had loses and a crack too.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
I've played a good lot of ranked lately, getting myself ready for rank X in all modes. And along that way, I also managed to skip twice (once from S+10 to S+13, then from S+13 to S+ 17). And my observation is:

There is no logic or visible pattern to it. The idea of there being a secret score (which we may be able to see soon once rank X drops) is very likely. You can get up that score by winning a lot of battles you "shouldn't win" by the statistics. Notice how you sometimes get a huge boost for a win in S+ and sometimes a very small amount? The first means you won a battle you shouldn't have and thus were awarded. The latter means you were supposd to win this anyway.
So how to skip? Easy. Get lucky with RNG and meet a lot of teams you "shouldn't" beat in one rotation. Beat all of them and if possible, have very few losses. Then you skip.
What, that doesn't sound fair to you since it also requires luck? Yes, very right. That's Splatoon logic for you. :- P

But as pointed out above, skipping may very well be removed and I'm glad about that. Yes, it does involve skill. But it's also about immense luck. What if you just randomly get put into low level lobbies or always face the "weak" guys? You consistently win then, but it won't be the "big" wins that seem to influence your chances to skip. It's silly and depends on getting lucky with RNG. But Splatoon should be skill based.

Fingers crossed for skipping to go away by the end of April. Really looking for ward to Rank X.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'm fairly certain skipping ranks is linked to the invisible scores/power meter, rather than cracks. If you beat a team that has a (much) higher score than your team, then the potential to jump up ranks goes up. However, to anyone who's familiar with splatfest there will be a certain apex where it'll be much harder to find opponents with a higher power level than yours.

I've seen people who can win S+ bar after bar with no cracks, but they never jump. But I've seen people with cracked bars that do jump. Why? Here's my theory: With those lost games your invisible score sinks too, opening the potential to get matched with opponents with higher power levels. Beat them, and your chance to skip goes up. If you consistently win, your invisible score goes up too, lowering the chance you'll get matched with more powerful opponents to make rank skips even possible.
However, i still have no idea how this is reset, or whatever. I still have no clue if the potential to rank skip is kept inbetween rank maintains, drops or rises in some way. Likewise i don't know if KO's, splats or whatever have a strong influence on making the magic happen.

Basically rank up exist only when they feel like it and for those who don't, get to play solo queue until they die of old age.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I'm interested to hear if anyone has ever not skipped, and then the next time the ranked up, they skipped. I wonder if the game doesn't let you skip ranks if you weren't already doing it. So if you skip from C- to B to A+ to S to S+0, then you're a contender to skip to S+10 or what have you. But maybe if you only skipped from C- to B- (like me) then went in increments of one the whole way, the game denies you from skipping because you already stopped or something. The point of skipping is to get you where you belong, so if you don't skip then the game might not let you do it again in fear of putting you somewhere ahead of where you belong. I mean if you're above S+10 if doesn't really matter. What matters in S+ is your power level, but it is nice to have a higher S+ level when people look at your inkling after a match.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I've played a good lot of ranked lately, getting myself ready for rank X in all modes. And along that way, I also managed to skip twice (once from S+10 to S+13, then from S+13 to S+ 17). And my observation is:

There is no logic or visible pattern to it. The idea of there being a secret score (which we may be able to see soon once rank X drops) is very likely. You can get up that score by winning a lot of battles you "shouldn't win" by the statistics. Notice how you sometimes get a huge boost for a win in S+ and sometimes a very small amount? The first means you won a battle you shouldn't have and thus were awarded. The latter means you were supposd to win this anyway.
So how to skip? Easy. Get lucky with RNG and meet a lot of teams you "shouldn't" beat in one rotation. Beat all of them and if possible, have very few losses. Then you skip.
What, that doesn't sound fair to you since it also requires luck? Yes, very right. That's Splatoon logic for you. :- P

But as pointed out above, skipping may very well be removed and I'm glad about that. Yes, it does involve skill. But it's also about immense luck. What if you just randomly get put into low level lobbies or always face the "weak" guys? You consistently win then, but it won't be the "big" wins that seem to influence your chances to skip. It's silly and depends on getting lucky with RNG. But Splatoon should be skill based.

Fingers crossed for skipping to go away by the end of April. Really looking for ward to Rank X.
I bet it has something to do with your power. If you fave a team with higher power, your meter gets filled more, if you face a team below you in power, you gain less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom