• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I wonder if competitive people will find ridiculous methods for winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
The ability to be able to accurately perform 300 actions within a minute is a skill. If you have trained so that you can do 300 over your opponent's 250, then you deserve to be, and shall be, rewarded. This is why physical feats has it's own pillar. Now if you simplify wave dashing, from it's 3 inputs to, let's say, 1, you no longer have to train to get that 3 inputs into 1 second. You just press the single input and be done with it. now anyone can do what used to require training. If that applies for all the techs (they all have their inputs simplified) the physical feats pillar is lowered. More specifically because of the following. Say that you spend exactly a minute performing the most technical string possible within a game, and it leaves you at 400 inputs within that minute originally. If the inputs are simplified, that same string may now be maxed out at 200 inputs. Training for peak condition physical feats is no longer nearly as intense. The ceiling has lowered.
Here's a different issue though, what if only 100 people can manage that 300 actions no matter how much everyone trains? Why not drop that to 250 needed at max so that maybe 1000 people can compete at that level now and you have players with skills higher in other areas getting to compete at the top level as well? And it opens it up more to players entering the community, which is something melee suffers from right now a lot. No one new wants to start playing because of the ridiculous expected time investment and skill barrier.

Well the difference is that I'm not asking for any of the pllars to be at a certain height. I'm willing to accept splatoon's pillars at whatever height they may be. If the physical feats pillar is very high, I'll train to reach the maximum height. If the strategy pillar is very high, i'll just have to train for that as well. you're asking for a pillar to be lowered because you don't like physical feats, all i'm saying is that if you don't like physical feats, you moving to a game without physical feats is the best option for everyone. That wa people who want the physical feats can have them in their game and the people who don't can have them in theirs. Destroying Splatoon's physical feat pillar will change the pace of the game drastically.

Also smash does have a great balance in terms of these pillars. That's why its's so highly regarded. You're insinuatig once again that strategy hould be more heavily rewarded than physical feats if you say that someone with a better strategic mind deserves to win. In smash the two go hand in hand. They are about equal height. So let's say your opponent has half the strategic pillar you do, but 10x the physical feats pillar, because he can do all the techs, but you can't do any. That still means that his skill ceiling is much higher than yours. So if both of you perform at your peak, then he will still win. that's why people who are high level smash players have both great tech skill, and great strategic minds.
Melee has the most stilted balance in terms of technical skill vs everything else of any major competitive game out there right now. Starcraft 2 matches and sometimes beats it in sheer number of input, but it has a much higher emphasis on the rest of the pillars as you like to call them. Smash 4 makes a much more even balancing of these pillars, your fundamentals and speed is still very important but someone who isn't as fast can still beat someone if they have better strategy or spacing or predictions. It's not half the strategic and 10x the technical, we're asking for the pillars to be relatively even so if you only have 75% of their technical skill but 150% of their strategic skill you'd still likely win. In a technically stilted game, like melee, it's more like the technical pillar is 100 points max, and the strategic is 50 max. If you've got 75% of their technical skill but 150% of their strategic skill you have 75 points in technical but only 50 points in strategic, so 125 total. They have 100 points in technical and 33.3 in strategic, 133.3 total. It's still more likely they're going to win despite you being much more significantly better than them at strategy and not that much worse at technical. It means if you can only make it to 70 or 80% of the best player's technical skill it's almost impossible for you to ever win unless you are RIDICULOUSLY better at strategy than them. It's just not feasible.

People are not saying they want NO technical skill in splatoon, that's ridiculous and please stop implying that's what people are after. People are only saying they hope it's got a decent balance between the pillars and it's not a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge technical pillar with significantly smaller other pillars like melee had.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Here's a different issue though, what if only 100 people can manage that 300 actions no matter how much everyone trains? Why not drop that to 250 needed at max so that maybe 1000 people can compete at that level now and you have players with skills higher in other areas getting to compete at the top level as well? And it opens it up more to players entering the community, which is something melee suffers from right now a lot. No one new wants to start playing because of the ridiculous expected time investment and skill barrier.
I covered that in the viewability pillar section of my last response. Also there maybe not everyone will want to get into the game if they see the skill ceiling is higher, but that doesn't really matter. A lot of people still will. Even in the melee community, there are more and more people starting to defeat the "Gods", Just like in sports, no one's reign lasts forever.

Melee has the most stilted balance in terms of technical skill vs everything else of any major competitive game out there right now. Starcraft 2 matches and sometimes beats it in sheer number of input, but it has a much higher emphasis on the rest of the pillars as you like to call them. Smash 4 makes a much more even balancing of these pillars, your fundamentals and speed is still very important but someone who isn't as fast can still beat someone if they have better strategy or spacing or predictions. It's not half the strategic and 10x the technical, we're asking for the pillars to be relatively even so if you only have 75% of their technical skill but 150% of their strategic skill you'd still likely win. In a technically stilted game, like melee, it's more like the technical pillar is 100 points max, and the strategic is 50 max. If you've got 75% of their technical skill but 150% of their strategic skill you have 75 points in technical but only 50 points in strategic, so 125 total. They have 100 points in technical and 33.3 in strategic, 133.3 total. It's still more likely they're going to win despite you being much more significantly better than them at strategy and not that much worse at technical. It means if you can only make it to 70 or 80% of the best player's technical skill it's almost impossible for you to ever win unless you are RIDICULOUSLY better at strategy than them. It's just not feasible.

People are not saying they want NO technical skill in splatoon, that's ridiculous and please stop implying that's what people are after. People are only saying they hope it's got a decent balance between the pillars and it's not a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge technical pillar with significantly smaller other pillars like melee had.
It really doesn't. Someone already posted that video of boop or whatever his name was beating people with better tech skill than him. I frequntly beat people with better tech skill than me. In the smash doc one of PC Chris' friends talks about how mad people get when he beats them because he can't even wavedash. It happens a lot. The reason tech skill seems to be more important, is because the people who are good at tech skill are often more serious players, and will have played more people. Therefore they will also be very good at strategy and will be able to come out on top more frequently. It's a correlation thing, not a causation thing.
Strategy gets talked about almost just as much as tech in melee. It just goes under different names. Soeme examples are mindgames, techchasing, option selects and ledge guarding. All of those things require strategy ad knowing your enemy to be able to perform correctly, and there are many more.
but even if splatoon does turn out to be more tech than skill (it won't. it would be nearly impossible) then that's just how the game is. you can hope for it to be otherwise, but don't suggest that developers should exchange one pillar's height for another. That's changing the nature of the game so that it suit your style, and that's not fair to all the people whose style it doesn't suit. Just let the game be what it is.
The half strategic 10x technical was a specific reference to those two players' skill level btw. Not of the game's pillars.

EDIT: Thought i would add that decreeing Splatoon's technical pillar still would be a terrible way of balancing the pillars, because it would still lower the skill ceiling. What you need to ask the developers for if you're really set on doing so is for MORE strategy if the case is they are unbalanced. Just like with character balance, you don't just cut good characters back until they suck. you make sucky characters better.

Last edited:

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I covered that in the viewability pillar section of my last response. Also there maybe not everyone will want to get into the game if they see the skill ceiling is higher, but that doesn't really matter. A lot of people still will. Even in the melee community, there are more and more people starting to defeat the "Gods", Just like in sports, no one's reign lasts forever.

It really doesn't. Someone already posted that video of boop or whatever his name was beating people with better tech skill than him. I frequntly beat people with better tech skill than me. In the smash doc one of PC Chris' friends talks about how mad people get when he beats them because he can't even wavedash. It happens a lot. The reason tech skill seems to be more important, is because the people who are good at tech skill are often more serious players, and will have played more people. Therefore they will also be very good at strategy and will be able to come out on top more frequently. It's a correlation thing, not a causation thing.
Strategy gets talked about almost just as much as tech in melee. It just goes under different names. Soeme examples are mindgames, techchasing, option selects and ledge guarding. All of those things require strategy ad knowing your enemy to be able to perform correctly, and there are many more.
but even if splatoon does turn out to be more tech than skill (it won't. it would be nearly impossible) then that's just how the game is. you can hope for it to be otherwise, but don't suggest that developers should exchange one pillar's height for another. That's changing the nature of the game so that it suit your style, and that's not fair to all the people whose style it doesn't suit. Just let the game be what it is.
The half strategic 10x technical was a specific reference to those two players' skill level btw. Not of the game's pillars.

EDIT: Thought i would add that decreeing Splatoon's technical pillar still would be a terrible way of balancing the pillars, because it would still lower the skill ceiling. What you need to ask the developers for if you're really set on doing so is for MORE strategy if the case is they are unbalanced. Just like with character balance, you don't just cut good characters back until they suck. you make sucky characters better.
Yeah I think we're kind of at an impasse here so I'm gonna say my last bit and be outie on this particular train of thought unless something else comes up.

There's a lot less 'gods' in melee then there has been. People are leaving for a wide variety of reasons (jobs, families, getting tired of playing, everything) and there just aren't people filling those shoes. This is a natural thing of course, but the highest tier community is pretty unsustainable with that huuuge skill wall. It's kind of like the competitive chess community, you could play for 20 years and never come close to the grandmasters, so not many people are entering.

Borp (the player shown earlier) is never going to compete with the highest tier of players, as was pointed out in the post right after the video was posted. I never said it was impossible for someone to overcome tech skill, if the gap is relatively small or the person better in non-tech skills is significantly better in those areas then yeah, they'll still win. But it is pretty weighted in melee towards tech.

It kind of sounds like you're saying I, or anyone else here, really has the power to force the developers to change the pillars. We don't. And we never said we even wanted to, just that we hope splatoon ends up being how it looks right now with a pretty balanced technical vs mental skill emphasis. If they decide that one was too high and decrease it, that's their choice. If something isn't working how they wanted it to they're well within reason to tone it down, even if it goes against your philosophy of not nerfing and only buffing.

TL;DR no one's saying splatoon should be lowering the currently shown amount of stuff, only hoping it stays with a balanced emphasis on different kinds of skill

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Yeah I think we're kind of at an impasse here so I'm gonna say my last bit and be outie on this particular train of thought unless something else comes up.

There's a lot less 'gods' in melee then there has been. People are leaving for a wide variety of reasons (jobs, families, getting tired of playing, everything) and there just aren't people filling those shoes. This is a natural thing of course, but the highest tier community is pretty unsustainable with that huuuge skill wall. It's kind of like the competitive chess community, you could play for 20 years and never come close to the grandmasters, so not many people are entering.

Borp (the player shown earlier) is never going to compete with the highest tier of players, as was pointed out in the post right after the video was posted. I never said it was impossible for someone to overcome tech skill, if the gap is relatively small or the person better in non-tech skills is significantly better in those areas then yeah, they'll still win. But it is pretty weighted in melee towards tech.

It kind of sounds like you're saying I, or anyone else here, really has the power to force the developers to change the pillars. We don't. And we never said we even wanted to, just that we hope splatoon ends up being how it looks right now with a pretty balanced technical vs mental skill emphasis. If they decide that one was too high and decrease it, that's their choice. If something isn't working how they wanted it to they're well within reason to tone it down, even if it goes against your philosophy of not nerfing and only buffing.

TL;DR no one's saying splatoon should be lowering the currently shown amount of stuff, only hoping it stays with a balanced emphasis on different kinds of skill
Well I'm saying it's kind of a selfish thing to hope for. I'm not saying that to try and attack you once again, but like Gsnap admitted, hoping that a skill ceiling is lower so you don't have to put the hours in to compete with others in the physical feats pillar is kind of selfish. Especially since there are so many people who do want that pillar to be tall. Obviously you're allowed to hope it's a tall pillar, but I kind of feel like then you should be honest that you want it just because it would be easier and more interesting for you, rather than trying to portray it as a good thing for the game in general.

This has gone too far and it's time we stop.
Why? We're having a good discussion. I don't see how it's gone too far at all.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
just skimmed this thread and want to pick on a couple points that I think make good examples of what I was talking about before

edit: capitalisation/grammar since this post got longer than I thought it would

I think what you’re meaning to talk about is a skill curve. A skill curve is what separates high level players from low level players. A game with a high skill curve will have you surpassing others exponentially as you get better at it.

The black line is the skill of the player, and the red area is the various possibilities of how exciting the gameplay is, assuming higher skill = More exciting gameplay
(pic)

The graph to the left is a game with techs that are difficult to do. Smash is a good example of this. The low level players are kind of walled off by the techs, but once they can do them, they are only limited by how good they are as a player. As such, the low level gameplay is mostly going to be fairly boring.

After a certain point, the curves are the same. This being the point at which people have a good mastery of their techs. The difference is the area before that, and in a game with easy techs, the low level gameplay would be a lot more interesting because the players would be better. From the very beginning, they would only be limited by how they use the tools in front of them, not whether or not they are able to use the tools in front of them at all.
Just before I begin, some terminology (for others' benefit). Not sure how much high school math we're all comfortable with here, but the skill curve is how your proficiency in a game (the x axis) relates to the results you get (the y axis). The skill factor is the gradient of this curve. The skill ceiling is the upper limit of the curve, and the skill floor is the lower limit. The skill floor only usually comes into play when you're examining a number of different weapons or strats in relation to each other; for example, it's very hard to use a roller poorly (so you will have a high skill floor there: low skill at game but can still do well), whereas the charger will have a very low skill floor (i.e. where you miss every shot).
EDIT: I should also point out that 'skill floor' sometimes refers to how good you have to be at something in order to use it correctly, but I prefer just using 'skill requirement' for this since that way we aren't using related terms for unrelated phenomena.

I think if we're being pedantic about terms here, skill barrier would be more correct for what you're talking about at the start of this quote.

While I generally agree with your sentiment about how some skill barriers aren't good (as stated in my original post here), you have to consider that there are more than just technical skill barriers. One such barrier is map knowledge, another is knowing win conditions (that is, knowing how you must play between 'now' and the end of the round in order to win), and so on. These are extremely important for the development of a competitive game, because they are how a metagame develops. In other words, skill isn't just about individual techs, it's anything that a player can control that gives them a means of gaining an advantage. This is why, for example, despite Mario Kart Wii's enormous luck element, it's still highly skill-based (knowing how to abuse the item roulette & knowing how to use the item you pull are both things that require a lot of experience).

The key difference between this kind of skill barrier and the type one might see in Melee is that Melee skill barriers are tech- and mechanic-related, whereas these skill barriers are to do with game knowledge and strategy. One is a natural process that anyone who pays attention will eventually progress through, whereas the other is something that has to be specifically discovered and learned. It's the difference between not knowing how you lost (which crushes morale and makes you want to quit) and knowing how you lost (which makes you want to improve as a player so that you can eventually win).

We'll take three games as examples: CS:GO, Quake, and Melee. While this comparison isn't ideal since Melee isn't a shooter, hopefully its familiarity to most of you will make up for that.

CS:GO is a team-oriented game, and while there do exist techs such as boosting and bunny hopping that a single person would not necessarily discover, every single skill element in CS:GO develops naturally. Aim, positioning, teamwork, economy management: these are all things that a player who puts enough time into the game will discover. As such, even though it has some pretty massive skill barriers (handling recoil, learning maps, learning strats, learning what to buy, etc), a player will always be progressing along the skill curve.

Quake is a sort of middle ground between natural skill development and tech knowledge. On one hand, the same kinds of things--aim, map knowledge, timing, and so on--are all natural for a player to learn, but movement techs like bunny hops, strafe jumps, and rocket jumps are not at all intuitive and pose a significant barrier to entry for new players (especially since they're the most vital movement techs in the game). This is part of the reason Quake's died off so much: the barrier to entry is so massive, and the skill factor is so high, that people just get turned off from the game and assume they'll never be that good.

Smash is more like Quake, while Splatoon will ideally be more like CS:GO. Smash has its natural skill barriers--spacing, priority, matchups, setups, combos, mixups, and so on--but if you don't know how to L-cancel or DI, you've got problems that even a novice would be able to take advantage of. Splatoon could go either way (though I doubt it'll have Quake or Smash levels of techniques), but having skill barriers like those you find in CS:GO would be significantly more conducive to an exciting game.

Incidentally, don't take this to imply that CS:GO's skill barriers are at the low end of the curve; things like positioning and the more advanced strats (especially CT side, where you're almost always going to be fighting at a numbers disadvantage) are very difficult to learn.

Regarding the assumption that skill and excitement levels are proportional, I strongly disagree. Excitement and skill are mostly unrelated. from a viewer's perspective, I used to enjoy Melee because it was fast and there was always the potential for a reverse 4-stock. I enjoy CS:GO because it's full of tension and there's so much possibility for clutches, and because even though I know 11-4 on de_nuke is kind of what you'd expect, watching a team come back from that and win is always entertaining. I enjoy Dota when the meta favours action-packed games that don't draw out into farm fests, and lose interest entirely when it doesn't. On the other hand, I find SC2 bores me to sleep, MKX is unwatchable, and LoL fluctuates wildly between decent and awful depending on what Riot's done to screw up the jungle this patch. There's basically no relation between the skill level and how exciting it is to watch.

And then from a player's perspective... well, any game I play where I know a game is lost but can't do anything but continue playing for another fifteen minutes is boring as hell. This is why I played MKW for 6 years and MK8 for 6 months, despite MK8 being a better game in almost every regard (except the ones that mattered in the end).

Finally, what your graphs won't tell you is that distinction I made between natural progression and tech knowledge. You can have an identical jump in skill factor for a natural progression (learning how to use the lightning gun in Quake) and one based on tech knowledge (learning about DI in melee), but the difference is that one allows for someone to progress along it just by playing while the other serves to effectively halt a player's progression. the latter is the one you want to avoid, but it is the one we're likely to see if a massive game-changing tech is found.

But you're forgetting about the other pillars. Specifically the physical feats pillar. [...] Destroying Splatoon's physical feat pillar will change the pace of the game drastically.

At first this seems like a great thing. Now anyone can curve the ball.

Some proof that people like to see complicated techs is in the existence of these clips
Your physical feats 'pillar' is not a matter of skill, it's a matter of accessibility, which is a pretty important distinction. Making a game physically demanding for its own sake is something that needs to be avoided; after all, why not go the other direction and make wavedashing take 6 separate inputs so that the physical 'pillar' is higher?

Part of a well-designed game, and by extension a good competitive game, is accessibility. An expert player should be able to make their character or their army or whatever do exactly what they want it to do. Sure, SC2 requires a high APM to play decently, but that's because an expert player actually wants to perform 180+ separate actions per minute by controlling individual units, queuing units efficiently, and responding to multiple combat instances, among other things. Hell, even with that being said, after getting my own apm up consistently over 200 at one point in AoE2, I can tell you it wasn't my hands that held me back, it was how quickly I could process what I needed to do and translate that over to muscle memory.

Where we run into problems is where an APM requirement of 300+ translates to only 60 to 100 'real' actions per minute. To be fair, the only reason Smash is on the other side of this debate is because of wavedashing (aside from which, its tech is reasonably efficient). A game can still be fast without requiring high APM. Quake isn't super high in terms of APM requirements but it's probably the single fastest, reasonably-popular, competitive game, for example.

This ties in with the sporting metaphor. Even if this metaphor weren't a false equivalency (sports are distinct from games; a better metaphor would be snooker or chess), throwing a curveball is not a physical limitation, it's a technique that you learn. Realistically, anyone who can pitch a ball can learn how to do it, since it's not about physical strength, it's about what you know (or are told) about the laws of physics and how you can spin the ball to make use of them. I even learned how to do it at some point, though that was in like 2nd grade so I wouldn't be able to do it now lol

Finally, though I think I mostly covered this above, people don't like to see complicated tech, they like to see things that look visually impressive. If you showed that clip to someone without the explanation, they'd probably be impressed... but also not really care about the inputs. To many people who enjoy that clip and the others like it, complexity means nothing, flair means everything.

Last edited:

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Showcasing how much of limitless powers you have in a video game compared to how limited people think you are in a game, is what you are saying? @WydrA
It's pretty much why i got Splatoon in the first place, the limitless amount of skill/strategy that you can pull off with the games customazations.
I do not believe in "This is the perfect/best combination/character/vehicle for this specific game", being insanely technical, strategical and very skillful will bypass whatever "lower tiered" stuff you can use instead of the "best" one, something might be better than the other, but it's like what you typed.

"you don't just cut good characters back until they suck. you make sucky characters better."

I hope i interpreted this right though.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Is this really an offshoot of Smashboards, or did I get lost on my way to the real Squidboards? I'm astonished to see anti-competitive attitudes here of all places.
Smashboards, twitter, youtube, deviantart, 4chan, twitch... doesn't really matter where you are, the term "Welcome to the internet" applies everywhere sadly.
Everybody expect to have some levelheaded people that plays by the rules of the game, if an exploit is found and suddenly everybody who wants to win, needs to use that exploit as well, is either forced to do so, or quit the game.
If there are no variety of gameplay when everybody is doing something that bypass about 80 - 90% of the game, then it's pretty sure it will be countered with Torches and Pitchforks.

As i mentioned before, i see very little chance of exploiting Turf Wars, as you have to cover most of the map in your own color, and i really can't see any exploit doing so perfectly fine, as you constantly have to move, most of the gameplay i've seen so far is all about controlling areas, so clearly i can't think that this game will have any ridiculous exploit from it's launch.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Is this really an offshoot of Smashboards, or did I get lost on my way to the real Squidboards? I'm astonished to see anti-competitive attitudes here of all places.
the smash community had plenty of anti-comp attitudes a decade ago, they all just got bored and left

gamefaqs melee board in the early 00s was [screaming internally]

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Hell, GameFAQs still does. But this ain't GameFAQs, I assumed the crybabies wouldn't be on a Smashboards spinoff.

CloneHat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CloneHat
Yeah, seeing people complain about "competitive play" on the competitive section of an offshoot of Smashboards... There's not much to say.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
I think people are overestimating ATs and underestimating the teamwork required. ATs don't usually develop the meta of team based games. Especially shooters

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
just skimmed this thread and want to pick on a couple points that I think make good examples of what I was talking about before

Just before I begin, some terminology (for others' benefit). Not sure how much high school math we're all comfortable with here, but the skill curve is how your proficiency in a game (the x axis) relates to the results you get (the y axis). The skill factor is the gradient of this curve. The skill ceiling is the upper limit of the curve, and the skill floor is the lower limit. The skill floor only usually comes into play when you're examining a number of different weapons or strats in relation to each other; for example, it's very hard to use a roller poorly (so you will have a high skill floor there: low skill at game but can still do well), whereas the charger will have a very low skill floor (i.e. where you miss every shot).
EDIT: I should also point out that 'skill floor' sometimes refers to how good you have to be at something in order to use it correctly, but I prefer just using 'skill requirement' for this since that way we aren't using related terms for unrelated phenomena.

I think if we're being pedantic about terms here, skill barrier would be more correct for what you're talking about at the start of this quote.

While I generally agree with your sentiment about how some skill barriers aren't good (as stated in my original post here), you have to consider that there are more than just technical skill barriers. One such barrier is map knowledge, another is knowing win conditions (that is, knowing how you must play between 'now' and the end of the round in order to win), and so on. These are extremely important for the development of a competitive game, because they are how a metagame develops. In other words, skill isn't just about individual techs, it's anything that a player can control that gives them a means of gaining an advantage. This is why, for example, despite Mario Kart Wii's enormous luck element, it's still highly skill-based (knowing how to abuse the item roulette & knowing how to use the item you pull are both things that require a lot of experience).

The key difference between this kind of skill barrier and the type one might see in Melee is that Melee skill barriers are tech- and mechanic-related, whereas these skill barriers are to do with game knowledge and strategy. One is a natural process that anyone who pays attention will eventually progress through, whereas the other is something that has to be specifically discovered and learned. It's the difference between not knowing how you lost (which crushes morale and makes you want to quit) and knowing how you lost (which makes you want to improve as a player so that you can eventually win).

We'll take three games as examples: CS:GO, Quake, and Melee. While this comparison isn't ideal since Melee isn't a shooter, hopefully its familiarity to most of you will make up for that.

CS:GO is a team-oriented game, and while there do exist techs such as boosting and bunny hopping that a single person would not necessarily discover, every single skill element in CS:GO develops naturally. Aim, positioning, teamwork, economy management: these are all things that a player who puts enough time into the game will discover. As such, even though it has some pretty massive skill barriers (handling recoil, learning maps, learning strats, learning what to buy, etc), a player will always be progressing along the skill curve.

Quake is a sort of middle ground between natural skill development and tech knowledge. On one hand, the same kinds of things--aim, map knowledge, timing, and so on--are all natural for a player to learn, but movement techs like bunny hops, strafe jumps, and rocket jumps are not at all intuitive and pose a significant barrier to entry for new players (especially since they're the most vital movement techs in the game). This is part of the reason Quake's died off so much: the barrier to entry is so massive, and the skill factor is so high, that people just get turned off from the game and assume they'll never be that good.

Smash is more like Quake, while Splatoon will ideally be more like CS:GO. Smash has its natural skill barriers--spacing, priority, matchups, setups, combos, mixups, and so on--but if you don't know how to L-cancel or DI, you've got problems that even a novice would be able to take advantage of. Splatoon could go either way (though I doubt it'll have Quake or Smash levels of techniques), but having skill barriers like those you find in CS:GO would be significantly more conducive to an exciting game.

Incidentally, don't take this to imply that CS:GO's skill barriers are at the low end of the curve; things like positioning and the more advanced strats (especially CT side, where you're almost always going to be fighting at a numbers disadvantage) are very difficult to learn.

Regarding the assumption that skill and excitement levels are proportional, I strongly disagree. Excitement and skill are mostly unrelated. from a viewer's perspective, I used to enjoy Melee because it was fast and there was always the potential for a reverse 4-stock. I enjoy CS:GO because it's full of tension and there's so much possibility for clutches, and because even though I know 11-4 on de_nuke is kind of what you'd expect, watching a team come back from that and win is always entertaining. I enjoy Dota when the meta favours action-packed games that don't draw out into farm fests, and lose interest entirely when it doesn't. On the other hand, I find SC2 bores me to sleep, MKX is unwatchable, and LoL fluctuates wildly between decent and awful depending on what Riot's done to screw up the jungle this patch. There's basically no relation between the skill level and how exciting it is to watch.

And then from a player's perspective... well, any game I play where I know a game is lost but can't do anything but continue playing for another fifteen minutes is boring as hell. This is why I played MKW for 6 years and MK8 for 6 months, despite MK8 being a better game in almost every regard (except the ones that mattered in the end).

Finally, what your graphs won't tell you is that distinction I made between natural progression and tech knowledge. You can have an identical jump in skill factor for a natural progression (learning how to use the lightning gun in Quake) and one based on tech knowledge (learning about DI in melee), but the difference is that one allows for someone to progress along it just by playing while the other serves to effectively halt a player's progression. the latter is the one you want to avoid, but it is the one we're likely to see if a massive game-changing tech is found.

Your physical feats 'pillar' is not a matter of skill, it's a matter of accessibility, which is a pretty important distinction. Making a game physically demanding for its own sake is something that needs to be avoided; after all, why not go the other direction and make wavedashing take 6 separate inputs so that the physical 'pillar' is higher?

Part of a well-designed game, and by extension a good competitive game, is accessibility. An expert player should be able to make their character or their army or whatever do exactly what they want it to do. Sure, SC2 requires a high APM to play decently, but that's because an expert player actually wants to perform 180+ separate actions per minute by controlling individual units, queuing units efficiently, and responding to multiple combat instances, among other things. Hell, even with that being said, after getting my own apm up consistently over 200 at one point in AoE2, I can tell you it wasn't my hands that held me back, it was how quickly I could process what I needed to do and translate that over to muscle memory.

Where we run into problems is where an APM requirement of 300+ translates to only 60 to 100 'real' actions per minute. To be fair, the only reason Smash is on the other side of this debate is because of wavedashing (aside from which, its tech is reasonably efficient). A game can still be fast without requiring high APM. Quake isn't super high in terms of APM requirements but it's probably the single fastest, reasonably-popular, competitive game, for example.

This ties in with the sporting metaphor. Even if this metaphor weren't a false equivalency (sports are distinct from games; a better metaphor would be snooker or chess), throwing a curveball is not a physical limitation, it's a technique that you learn. Realistically, anyone who can pitch a ball can learn how to do it, since it's not about physical strength, it's about what you know (or are told) about the laws of physics and how you can spin the ball to make use of them. I even learned how to do it at some point, though that was in like 2nd grade so I wouldn't be able to do it now lol

Finally, though I think I mostly covered this above, people don't like to see complicated tech, they like to see things that look visually impressive. If you showed that clip to someone without the explanation, they'd probably be impressed... but also not really care about the inputs. To many people who enjoy that clip and the others like it, complexity means nothing, flair means everything.
This is by FAR my favorite post on the forum. I've tried to convey these ideas countless time and I've never done it better! Great job. Well said.

Undr

If an admin can make it so whenever someone uses a part of terminology, it's replaced with a hyperlink to this post, that'd be great.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
If an admin can make it so whenever someone uses a part of terminology, it's replaced with a hyperlink to this post, that'd be great.
For now, Google is your friend!

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
If only the results google linked we half as eloquent as this mans response... The world would be a much brighter place.
Are there any terms he used that you cannot sufficiently find definitions for elsewhere?

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
@TheRapture I mean I'm sure its out there somewhere, but these really new game specific concepts like "the skill ceiling" "Skill barriers" "Accessibility in competitive games" and "Actions per minute vs Inputs per minute" are very hard to pin down. I've spent a lot of time, literally scores of hours creating content, try to pin down and explain these same concepts and by comparison I feel like I did a very lack luster job even after doing a lot of research and web combing.

And even if I did come across a good definition somewhere that did I feel I'd be hard pressed for that same place to have applicable examples that relate specifically to our niche community. (a shooter with a majority of us coming from melee)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom