• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I'm terrible at Splat Zones

GirlyMii

Senior Squid
NNID
Miipopal
I hate splat zones too lol but I always thought to play offensively. Maybe that's my issue as well. Since I've gone back and forth with S rank a million times I should probably work in zones again. GL to you.

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
I hate splat zones too lol but I always thought to play offensively. Maybe that's my issue as well. Since I've gone back and forth with S rank a million times I should probably work in zones again. GL to you.
splat zones: tentatek and 96 ga deco mvp
tower control: forge splattershot pro, custom jet squelcher, and e-liter 3k scope mvp
rainmaker: tentatek, 52 gal, and dynamo roller mvp
and thats how ranked mode works

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
splat zones: tentatek and 96 ga deco mvp
tower control: forge splattershot pro, custom jet squelcher, and e-liter 3k scope mvp
rainmaker: tentatek, 52 gal, and dynamo roller mvp
and thats how ranked mode works
Tentatek is mvp in every mode lol.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Tentatek is mvp in every mode lol.
There are several weapons, such as the Tentatek, which seem well suited to a wider variety of situations. However, I think it shouldn't be forgotten that any weapon in the right hands needs to be taken seriously. I've run into players using unexpected weapons doing extremely well. I actually started using the Luna Blaster Neo (switch from the Tentatek/Octoshot main) in every situation, trying to get better at it and find ways around its limitations.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
There are several weapons, such as the Tentatek, which seem well suited to a wider variety of situations. However, I think it shouldn't be forgotten that any weapon in the right hands needs to be taken seriously. I've run into players using unexpected weapons doing extremely well. I actually started using the Luna Blaster Neo (switch from the Tentatek/Octoshot main) in every situation, trying to get better at it and find ways around its limitations.
Fair enough, but I think it goes without saying that there are some weapons/team loadouts that are objectively better than others in certain modes/maps.

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
the luna blaster neo is very good but i stopped using it because it messed up my aim and i am a charger main

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
Now I might be completely wrong on this as I don't actually use the Octobrush, or any other brush for that matter but from what I've seen of how the brushes play I think that they're best in Tower Control. I say this because in Tower Control everyone is really focused on the tower, especially when someone's on it so the Octobrush has many chances to sneak in unnoticed and splat an enemy.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Fair enough, but I think it goes without saying that there are some weapons/team loadouts that are objectively better than others in certain modes/maps.
That's true :) If the players are all good at their weapons there are loadouts which can favour a team.

That's one of the things that really irritates me about Splatoon's point system. Suppose you are on the higher ranked team but the lower ranked team has a more balanced weapon selection. You have to work harder and be more inventive to pull off the win, and if you win you're rewarded for your efforts with less points and if you lose you're punished for not overcoming the handicap Splatoon gave you.

the luna blaster neo is very good but i stopped using it because it messed up my aim and i am a charger main
Occasionally I go back to using the Tentatek to help centre my shots.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Just to second everyone else, as a big fan of splatzones vs the other modes, I do think defensiveness is key. It plays a lot like TW, and I'm a naturally defensive player there, so my play works well on SZ. Actually strike that, it's passive-aggressiveness that wins. It's a defensive play that involves being an aggressive psychopath whenever the enemy is in range. Far too many people stand ON the zones, and of course end up leaving enemy ink when they're splatted effectiely becoming an enemy suction bomb.

Like all the heavy blasters, luna takes a perfect aim to land the ohko - I haven't found any blaster messing up my charger aim, I actually treat them as automatic chargers. It's the shooters that mess up my aim since they're forgiving to sloppiness.

Luna allows flexibility with the AoE, but the ohko is still the best way!

Last edited:

BluEyes

Senior Squid
splatzone on moray tower is terrible for me. I like sprinkers and/or echolocater on SZ. From what i observed, two zoned map plays differently than single zone maps. while you can be defensive on single zone maps, double zone maps require your play style to be more aggressive.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
splatzone on moray tower is terrible for me. I like sprinkers and/or echolocater on SZ. From what i observed, two zoned map plays differently than single zone maps. while you can be defensive on single zone maps, double zone maps require your play style to be more aggressive.
Most double zone maps have the zones close together though. (In fact I can't think of many single zone maps - Museum, Bridge, I think Mahi, Can't remember what others (does Walleye count? with the crate divider?)

True enough, but when I think of Triggerfish or Skatepark etc, the zones are close enough that, weapon pending it could be defensive or aggressive. Which comes back to that whole "passive aggressive" thing. I don't think I've played Zones on Moray though. I've played RM there. I will never do so again. Ffuuu stupid left side wall.

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
Just to second everyone else, as a big fan of splatzones vs the other modes, I do think defensiveness is key. It plays a lot like TW, and I'm a naturally defensive player there, so my play works well on SZ. Actually strike that, it's passive-aggressiveness that wins. It's a defensive play that involves being an aggressive psychopath whenever the enemy is in range. Far too many people stand ON the zones, and of course end up leaving enemy ink when they're splatted effectiely becoming an enemy suction bomb.

Like all the heavy blasters, luna takes a perfect aim to land the ohko - I haven't found any blaster messing up my charger aim, I actually treat them as automatic chargers. It's the shooters that mess up my aim since they're forgiving to sloppiness.

Luna allows flexibility with the AoE, but the ohko is still the best way!
the reason luna blaster messes up my aim is that the blast range is so big that you can just point in their genreal direction, shoot twice and they die

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
I mean what rank would brushes be best at. I.e. tower control vs splat zones vs rainmaker.
I play Octobrush occasionally, and I'd say it is best in Rainmaker. It can make best use of it sneaky defensive/support style in that mode since people will focus mainly on the small Rainmaker objective and you will be free to do as you please. You can also pull the old "follow the brush" trick if you want to make a fast push when no one is around. Tower is somewhat awkward for the brushes, but can work in a similar fashion to Rainmaker if you adjust. Splat Zones is hard because there really won't be many places to hide and it will be difficult to approach without relying completely on team members.

It does ok in the other modes, but I'd have to say it works best in Rainmaker.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
I play Octobrush occasionally, and I'd say it is best in Rainmaker. It can make best use of it sneaky defensive/support style in that mode since people will focus mainly on the small Rainmaker objective and you will be free to do as you please. You can also pull the old "follow the brush" trick if you want to make a fast push when no one is around. Tower is somewhat awkward for the brushes, but can work in a similar fashion to Rainmaker if you adjust. Splat Zones is hard because there really won't be many places to hide and it will be difficult to approach without relying completely on team members.

It does ok in the other modes, but I'd have to say it works best in Rainmaker.
Octobrush isn't bad in Tower Control since you can spam beacons on the tower as a shield and as spawn points for your friends and you can use kracken to stall to get some extra points or take back the tower, and against a fair amount of weapons you'll win or trade exchanges on the tower, which isn't bad.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
Octobrush isn't bad in Tower Control since you can spam beacons on the tower as a shield and as spawn points for your friends and you can use kracken to stall to get some extra points or take back the tower, and against a fair amount of weapons you'll win or trade exchanges on the tower, which isn't bad.
Fair enough. Unless you have a sniper aiming at you, which apparently are not blocked by Beakons.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Fair enough. Unless you have a sniper aiming at you, which apparently are not blocked by Beakons.
Is that true? I thought they blocked sniper shots, but I remember being killed by a sniper behind a beacon a few times, so I'm actually not sure if it's just good aim or if snipers can just override the health of a beacon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom