• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink Brush: Analysis and Thoughts thread

Cthulhu

Inkster Jr.
Best weapon for covering turf in the game imo. Can get more than aerosprays if you use it wisely. For ranked, it's amazing on blackbelly but pretty average on other maps

db132

Full Squid
Ive been using the Inkbrush exclusively for the past 12 or so hours with the game. Something I like doing with it is simply using it as an distraction when leading the charge or by trying to draw fire away from approaching teammates by darting and zigzagging in, out and around cover while running around. I think there's more potential to be opened up with this weapon, especially once we get around to using organized teams. Sadly I haven't really been able to take full advantage of the above since random teammates don't always try to take advantage of me being a distraction or try to spawn on me when I clear the way in an opening in the opposing team's defenses.

Also, if whenever possible try aiming in an upward angle and jumping when shaking the brush around to cover ground, the area covered gets nearly twice as large..

Azure J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AzureJay89
The Inkbrush is the single most fun/satisfying weapon hands down. With just a few changes to how I was using it initially and a change in some gear, it has become my go to main for both modes over the .52 Gal in Splat Zones/Ranked and the Aerosprays in Turf Wars. The thing is unparalleled at running interference, supporting people with ink lines and harassing people with sprinklers. Combining this with the ever prominent Ninja Squid perks, Special Charger/Ink Saver Main and Ink Resistance and it becomes a tool that is even more offensively geared than previously understood.

Anyone telling you this thing is bad is bad at the game. Full stop.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
You need a good trigger finger to get the most out of this.

Also found something interesting: you slow down if you try "rolling" on top of unpaintable surfaces.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
The Inkbrush is the single most fun/satisfying weapon hands down. With just a few changes to how I was using it initially and a change in some gear, it has become my go to main for both modes over the .52 Gal in Splat Zones/Ranked and the Aerosprays in Turf Wars. The thing is unparalleled at running interference, supporting people with ink lines and harassing people with sprinklers. Combining this with the ever prominent Ninja Squid perks, Special Charger/Ink Saver Main and Ink Resistance and it becomes a tool that is even more offensively geared than previously understood.

Anyone telling you this thing is bad is bad at the game. Full stop.
I pretty much feel the exact same way you do. I wish people would invest more time into the weapon and learn it before writing it off as bad. I haven't really tried used any of those gear perks besides Special Charger and Ink Saver, I'll have to give the other few a whirl when I find good gear with them.

Azure J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AzureJay89
Looking back on that post, I find it interesting that I managed to start doing even better with the brush after trading out Ninja Squid for an Ink Saver perk. Ninja Squid is still fantastic with the Inkbrush but it can also become a limiter of sorts if you don't take chances and let people dictate the amount of area you can play in.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
With the release of carbon roller, people who complain about the brush's lack of potency at splatting can now just use that one instead, letting the real
brush pros to leave them in their dust.

Shinobi

Inkling
My strategy with the ink brush in splat zones is to rush to the splat zone with it, and I usually get there before anyone else when I do this since you are faster than everyone else with the ink brush. So I just paint the zone until I run out of ink, then I refill my ink and I start throwing sprinklers down. Usually If my team is at the splat zone shortly after I get there, we get the zone right away.

I hope the ink brush is a viable weapon in competitive Splatoon tournaments.

TheGreatGateway

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaxterD
I'm having trouble in Tower Control with the Ink Brush. In particular against blasters; it's kinda like playing as the Spy in Team Fortress 2 versus a Soldier. If, for any reason your sneak attack fails, they one-shot you. :(

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I'm having trouble in Tower Control with the Ink Brush. In particular against blasters; it's kinda like playing as the Spy in Team Fortress 2 versus a Soldier. If, for any reason your sneak attack fails, they one-shot you. :(
least the next version of paintbrush will have :bubbler: then.

TheGreatGateway

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaxterD
least the next version of paintbrush will have :bubbler: then.
That's the tricky part; I find the Ink Strike really useful for supporting my team's captures. I'm not sure I could trade it out for something that requires me to push the frontlines, when my playstyle is to slip around the fights. There are other brushes coming though, right?

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
That's the tricky part; I find the Ink Strike really useful for supporting my team's captures. I'm not sure I could trade it out for something that requires me to push the frontlines, when my playstyle is to slip around the fights. There are other brushes coming though, right?
You only need to be on the frontlines for a couple of seconds to give the bubbler to your teammates, and your speed lets you break away from whatever you were
doing relatively easily. Once you've deployed bubbler for your teammates you can either try to push forward or just go back to sneaking around.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
there is another series of brushes, so yes, but those two will have different stats

no idea what the stats are, however the set ups are :squidbeacon:/:kraken: and :splatbomb:/:inkzooka:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
How did the Ink brush get good recently? Oh am I imagining it?

I've noticed a lot of people using it rather well, and actually getting those surprise attacks that people were saying the weapon was designed for.

Now, I say I may be imagining it, because I'm still not sure on how useful it is on covering ink.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo

I've noticed a lot of people using it rather well, and actually getting those surprise attacks that people were saying the weapon was designed for.

Now, I say I may be imagining it, because I'm still not sure on how useful it is on covering ink.
It's not good for covering ink, but that's not it's job, I never see it in Turf Wars for this reason, but in Ranked it's semi-common, I probably won't pick it up though until the Bubbler version launches

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler

Perhaps due to practice with the sploosh-o-matic? ;)

On paper it doesn't seem that effective at covering, but it's great speed allows it to reach new areas to be covered in record time, which
lets it get very high scores in turf when played well. Not to mention the sprinkler.

It's not good for covering ink, but that's not it's job, I never see it in Turf Wars for this reason, but in Ranked it's semi-common, I probably won't pick it up though until the Bubbler version launches
Yeah, default is fine for causing havoc outside the zone of interest, but it won't do much good if your teammates can't take advantage of this to push through.
Bubbler is just the tool inkbrush needed to help make a real push on objectives.

Virtuoso

Inkling
NNID
RastSekyd
I've been using it in Turf Wars almost exclusively and it feels pretty good to me. Haven't had any issues with ink coverage (or lack of). I find that jump-flicking spreads ink pretty well, and it works best if you toss a sprinkler out of the way and move along. I can usually take someone out with it if they aren't playing aggressively. If they give me space - even a little bit - I can usually make my way out of their line of sight and take them down, though I try to focus on inking everywhere they aren't and dropping inkstrikes for the team.

I haven't ventured into ranked yet so I can't say how well it works there, but it can definitely be potent with practice. Score-wise I can generally top the charts, though I've ran into other Inkbrush, Aero or Splattershot Jr users who can keep up or do even better.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
It's not good for covering ink, but that's not it's job
??? it's the second (maybe just the) best "roller" for covering turf, that's even with out sprinkler
just because of how mobile it is and how much it can cover with flicks
it's just a strain on the fingers
guess we just needed practice mashing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom