• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink or Sink Tournament! v.1.1b Final Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Hey guys since this is such a huge event.
Can we please think about all of us creating awareness that Splatoon NEEDS a spectator mode? Like on the official stream, have the commentators or possibly on the layout? Have a tweet to Nintendo that everyone can retweet? Something along those lines.

As I know you must have already realized how much of a hassle it is without something along those lines, and this is just for 2 player's perspectives. It would be nice if we had an update where we could have a 9th person (the streamer/spectator) into the custom lobby, who would be able to have all 8 perspectives.
Please consider spending a little bit of time, multiple times asking viewers and players (on the stream) to retweet whatever message you make. Also miiverse is good too.

Just putting it out there
I guess the community could start a hashtag campaing like #SpectatorForSplatoon or something. This kind of activity would be easy to add on stream overlays and such.

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
It would be really cool if a spectator mode allowed you to rotate entirely arounda character as well as view as he would. Rotating between characters is important too.

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
okay, I didn't think to look at the spreadsheet, I thought you were going to just put all the streams in a post. Also, what is with the font height and color?
we worry a lot more about the data than making the sheet look pretty

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
I know it might be a little late to post my opinions on this, but I didn't know it wasn't possible to switch players between matches until just a while ago.

I personally think you should be able to swap out team members between matches in rounds. What thepyrosgod said is one of the first things that can go wrong, which is a good point.

The tournament is a team effort, but you can only use 50% of your team in a round? We, as a team, obviously like to win, but in the end it's all about fun. We'd like to give the opportunity to everyone in my team to play, but by locking 4 players to a round this limits me in doing so. We're kind off forced to choose between having fun and playing to win, while if we can switch players between matches it can be balanced. Our team wants to try and win games, if we make it farther we can have more fun. So if we could switch between games, we would always start with our strongest line-up, then we can gauge if we need to continue playing with the strongest team or if we can send out the other guys if we are clearly better than the opponent.

Let's say my team sends out the strongest team we have in the first round, but we have stiff competition. We keep playing with our strongest line-up, because we want to win, however we end up losing. Now we're only one loss away from being eliminated, but only 4 of us have played. We now have to choose between sending in the other 4, so they can play a match too, or still sending in our strongest team so we don't get kicked out immediately. Switching members also gives teams more ability to adapt and change strategy between matches, it's always nice to give teams more options, right?
I prepose that the rule should be changed to subs can happen after rounds 2 and 4. Cant aggre with @Burnburn anymore
the way i see it (and this is an inkredibly flimsy argument) is that you're not allowed to switch out partners for smash doubles

splatoon, of course, is a very different game, but i think a lot of smash rules can apply to splatoon, this being one of them. we want teams to know their matchup from the get-go and be able to adapt to that matchup, which is already counteracted by the gear/weaponchanging rule.

furthermore, i feel like - at least for qualifying rounds - you should send out players that are good in splat zones to your splat zones round, and send out your best tower control players for tower control.

of course, this rule might be changed for future IoS tournaments, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. the tourney officially starts in two days, and we're probably not revising the ruleset.

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn
the way i see it (and this is an inkredibly flimsy argument) is that you're not allowed to switch out partners for smash doubles

splatoon, of course, is a very different game, but i think a lot of smash rules can apply to splatoon, this being one of them. we want teams to know their matchup from the get-go and be able to adapt to that matchup, which is already counteracted by the gear/weaponchanging rule.

furthermore, i feel like - at least for qualifying rounds - you should send out players that are good in splat zones to your splat zones round, and send out your best tower control players for tower control.

of course, this rule might be changed for future IoS tournaments, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. the tourney officially starts in two days, and we're probably not revising the ruleset.
But in smash doubles, you don't sign up with more than two people. But I understand it's too short notice to change the rules now, it's fine. Just wanted some of my team mates to play a lot of games too : )

Last edited:

LemonPlaid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Exo-Josh

With all-due respect, the logic used in this argument means that any team should be maxed out at 4. And I get the general feeling the people on this thread wouldn't like that.

RocketClauncher

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RocketClauncher
If one member gets p/o, emergency, etc, while in game _, can we sub in another?
If something was to happen where a team member HAD to leave a match or could not continue in the set, then a substitution would be allowed after an explanation and approval from the other team. This is just based on trust, but obviously things pop up and people may have to make quick exits.

N-Strike

Full Squid
NNID
N-Strike-Smash

this video perfectly discribes your opinion. THATS SMASH 4! In smaah you have just people fighting with others. In splatoon, you have teams, training together. In the NFL there is subs. in the NBA there is subs. In pro soccer/football, there is subs. Hell, in LoL and DotA there is subs. It isnt fair to some people who wont even play matches, Also, nobody but you and your silly TOs think this rule is good. Do somthing for the players for once.

Sorry for any hurt feelings.

Power

Inkling Commander
this video perfectly discribes your opinion. THATS SMASH 4! In smaah you have just people fighting with others. In splatoon, you have teams, training together. In the NFL there is subs. in the NBA there is subs. In pro soccer/football, there is subs. Hell, in LoL and DotA there is subs. It isnt fair to some people who wont even play matches, Also, nobody but you and your silly TOs think this rule is good. Do somthing for the players for once.

Sorry for any hurt feelings.
I don't mean to not contribute to this but lol.
Edit: Contribution.
Anyways, here is my stance on it.
I am somewhat in between having limited subs and unlimited subs within rounds. Having unlimited subs can make game planning much more diverse, it also makes the ability of adaptation be forced faster upon the opposing team. If the game is balanced enough to handle it, than this rule seems pretty decent. If not, limited subs may have to be employed.

I think we should stick to the current rule for this tourney, as people already have their teams set in stone (for the most part).

Not everyone gets to play remember that, even in the professional sports organizations that you mentioned. There are many subs that just sit on the sideline in case someone gets injured (last string quarterbacks, point guards, forwards, etc.) and never see any actual playing time. They scrimmage in practice, but don't play. However the teams in splatoon are smaller, so the chance of people sitting out completely is less likely...

I believe limited subs per round is fair to the teams with 4 compared to the teams with 8. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
I dont know if you have been paying any attention how the TOs have handled the feedback people have given. I assume that you havent so I'll just break it down for you. The rules have been changed several time due to feedback that WE as a community have given. So saying something really dumb stuff like this "Do somthing for the players for once" makes it look like a real insult. Be more respectful towards people who are here to help our community.

Secondly, letting teams to swap players out in the middle of a set would be really easily exploited because weapon swapping within rounds is prohibited in this tournament. This would lead larger teams being able to go around the rules and just swap out players with different weapon sets to possibly counter the enemies' strategy. If one of the teams would not have any sub players the larger team would have a clear advantage over the smaller one.

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn
I dont know if you have been paying any attention how the TOs have handled the feedback people have given. I assume that you havent so I'll just break it down for you. The rules have been changed several time due to feedback that WE as a community have given. So saying something really dumb stuff like this "Do somthing for the players for once" makes it look like a real insult. Be more respectful towards people who are here to help our community.

Secondly, letting teams to swap players out in the middle of a set would be really easily exploited because weapon swapping within rounds is prohibited in this tournament. This would lead larger teams being able to go around the rules and just swap out players with different weapon sets to possibly counter the enemies' strategy. If one of the teams would not have any sub players the larger team would have a clear advantage over the smaller one.
The Order of steps in between matches are as follows.
  1. Ban Stages
  2. Stage Choice
  3. Weapon/Gear Selection
  4. Play!
I assume point 3 means that we can switch weapons between games?

N-Strike

Full Squid
NNID
N-Strike-Smash

#1 lol that was me being dumb :P I need to get better with insults.
#2 I already preposed 2 and 4 could be subs like the wepon changing.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Why insult anybody in the first place though?

Anyway, I think it's best to not sub during a set. Besides everything else that's been said already, which doesn't need repeating, it's just simpler. This is the first tournament, let's keep things simple

Power

Inkling Commander
We will need more feedback on this idea from people within the community. I hear your concern guys, and actually am leaning a bit towards the side with subs within rounds.

However, as @Aweshucks said, it is the first tourney and has already been a complex process. Our rule set is final as of now and we do not want to confuse the squads that have signed up with what could be a massive game changing rule. We will keep these ideas in mind for future tourney's.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
I assume point 3 means that we can switch weapons between games?
You are actually correct. My bad.

But anyways the substitute players are generally supposed to take place in the battlefield if someone from the team can't participate by themselves. If your team has 8 members and naturally everyone wants to play, why didn't they sign in as 2 separated teams?

Power

Inkling Commander

But anyways the substitute players are generally supposed to take place in the battlefield if someone from the team can't participate by themselves. If your team has 8 members and naturally everyone wants to play, why didn't they sign in as 2 separated teams?
You are right on this point, but the subs may not have enough capability to function decently on a separate team. However...

It is part of being on a team. People will have to accept that not everyone can have equal playing time (in an ideal world, yes). Your team will probably go with the better players to be sent out more often, (whichever way that may be decided) Substitutes are substitutes for a reason, they are supposed to pick up the slack where the main players fall short (or when they need a break...)
When the subs can operate well on their own team, that is the best time to branch off as a separate team. The main team loses some firepower, but they get the playtime they want. I may be wrong on this, but it may be a choice of playtime or winning (considering that if subs form a "squad 2" then their main team "squad 1" becomes a little bit weaker.)

Edit: looks like I made an irrelevant argument the more that I think about it, :l

Last edited:

Burnburn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Burnburn

Because we were the last team to sign in and we did so last minute :x. But yeah, it's a bit too late now to change it, but it was worth trying right?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't CS:GO a SHOOTER game not allow subs mid set? I mean who cares if basketball has subs, this is a shooter game. And of course we are dif from cs:go but they did that for a reason. And also CS:GO allows weapon swaps but of course that's limited with the whole money balancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom