• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

INKLING FONT! Download included

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Hm. I dunno, with how hyped up it was, something about it feels like it leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe I had too high of expectations, or maybe it's because I anticipated it to sync up better with what was going on in the other thread, but I dunno.

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
it leaves a lot to be desired
Um, providing some specific feedback would be very useful here…!

I also plan to release an extrapolated version with the currently missing letters and symbols filled it, just to add to usability. :)

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
This looks excellent! Great work! It looks identical to the text in game.

I'm just wondering. Does this include every base character from our syllabary? I can't seem to find...

I also plan to release an extrapolated version with the currently missing letters and symbols filled it, just to add to usability. :)
Just what I was asking while you posted. Let me know when the entire main alphabet is included. Then I will be getting on to those videos.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
This is mainly what I was referring to, good to know that it's being addressed.

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
Does this include every base character from our syllabary? . . . Let me know when the entire main alphabet is included.
I think many of the characters in the 3 pages of characters you originally posted—and are using in the conlang—are from different writing systems than these; I don't want to mix writing systems or anything. :) I just received a message from @EarlyCuyler that he's working on a font, too, involving these, and we're discussing it currently, so expect something shortly (hopefully) from at least one of us!

Any idea where these symbols would fit?
Like I said above, those don't seem to fit or be a part of the writing system this font is trying to recreate. Inklings have many writing systems apparently! Therefore, I won't be including them with this version of the font – but maybe in different editions/"weights"! See my reply above as well.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Maybe it's best to clarify here. Inkling has one writing system. Inkling has one hundred and twenty-six serif glyphs, in addition to forty or fifty non-serif alternates. So far, this font has some serif and some non-serif glyphs in it. It personally doesn't matter to me as they're all the same letters anyway. However, not all of the basic fifty-two letters are included in this font, making it not yet possible to type out every Inkling word. MissingNumbers, Kairo and I are wondering on the progress of that.

At least one of each of the fifty-two base characters is needed here, moreso than Inkopolis logos.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Seems like everyone else said what I was going to say. Just need to vectorize all the characters PiyozR has written down, and put them in. I was thinking you could make the font work like how you write Japanese on a keyboard. Each character has a romaji equivalent, and you just type that to get the hiragana/katakana. (i.e. you type "a" to get あ, "ka" to get か, and so on) So you just make the character be written when you write the English letters that we chose to fit it's pronunciation.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Seems like everyone else said what I was going to say. Just need to vectorize all the characters PiyozR has written down, and put them in. I was thinking you could make the font work like how you write Japanese on a keyboard. Each character has a romaji equivalent, and you just type that to get the hiragana/katakana. (i.e. you type "a" to get あ, "ka" to get か, and so on) So you just make the character be written when you write the English letters that we chose to fit it's pronunciation.
That is such an incredibly simple solution that I'm surprised it's never been mentioned until now.

Like if you had to spell out every IPA letter to form that Inkling character. The few letters on a standard keyboard not used in Inkling can be assigned to consonant phones (e.g. c = [ʃ], x = [d͡ʒ], q = [t͡s]). Then you'd just have to assign the flipped and flopped glyphs to other keys (e.g. [ and # and _ and <). That's in addition to capital and lower case.

Last edited:

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
Just need to vectorize all the characters PiyozR has written down, and put them in
These have already been vectorized, so it wouldn't be hard to do. I do think @EarlyCuyler is working on something similar. I'll see what I can do.

Ligatures probably aren't the absolute best way to do it, but given we're not developing an entire IME or keyboard layout, it'll work for now. :)

Inkling has one writing system. Inkling has one hundred and twenty-six serif glyphs, in addition to forty or fifty non-serif alternates. So far, this font has some serif and some non-serif glyphs in it.
I mean, that's how we're interpreting it. Or – how you're interpreting it. Nothing like that is explicitly confirmed in the game.

However, it is what the conlang uses, which is why I'd want to go about doing it.

Given that the characters in my font all appear in the Sunken Scrolls together, in blocks of text – you can see for yourself here – I'd doubt that some are serif and others are sans-serif, and I'm wondering why you think that. :o

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Given that the characters in my font all appear in the Sunken Scrolls together, in blocks of text – you can see for yourself here – I'd doubt that some are serif and others are sans-serif, and I'm wondering why you think that. :scared:
Because this is an unofficial fan project. The game gives us so little that we had to fill in the gaps on our own. Inkling that I've written can switch between serif and non-serif mid-word. They're all the same thing. That's why I don't think it's all that important that your font contains some of both kind of glyphs. As long as they're all there and look sexy. And they really do look sexy.

NNID
AdamArroyo12
Is there a .ttf file available? Because I want to import this font on my phone and I guess the app doesn't use .of files... A reply will be very much appreciated!

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
Is there a .ttf file available?
Ah, just responded to your message about this! The OpenType .otf format is generally a superior format, but it makes sense if you'd need a .ttf if your phone only supports that type. How do you want to use it on your phone? :scared: I could make a .ttf in that case – I'll send it in a message to you when you reply! :)

Inunah

Inkling
Any update on this? Really waiting to be able to type Inkling that happens to be entirely accurate to PiyozR's version!

Inunah

Inkling
There's a series of fonts from @theFIZZYnator that has all the glyphs available.
But...I want to use it to type in PiyozR's Inkling, and having to hunt and peck for the right characters would take way too long. Is there a way to take that and map it like Japanese (type in romaji and it changes it automatically to the matching character)? That's what I was specifically waiting for, if that was ever going to be a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom