1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Inkling: The Language of Splatoon

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Mithical1, Apr 24, 2015.

1. extremechiton

extremechiton Inkling

NNID:
    Extremechiton
    I would believe molluskese or molluskan would he the language spoken by all, or at least the base language
    (Like latin is the base for English, spanish, french etc.)
    And inklish is a mixture of words/ grammar tyat involves both inklings and octarians (like spanglish)
    And squiddish is a dialect only spoken by inklings (especially in squid form
    While octarians speak the dialect of octon

FakeTanni likes this.
  2. Naouak

Naouak Inkling

NNID:
    Naouak
    It seems to me that their alphabet is near roman alphabet but their orthograph of the words change from ours.

For example with the Squid research lab logo :
    [​IMG]

I can only make 6 character out of the "research" part but in english it has 8 letters.
    Research and Lab contains both a "a" but there is no two same chars.

I think it is wirtten "Sqihd R*arch Lob" which seems to be a phonetic way to say "Squid Research Lab". I think Inkling is loosely based upon what they grabbed from human culture.

spiffy likes this.
  3. ndayadn

ndayadn yeah

NNID:
    Seabass
    Squid Research Lab actually seems to read more like:

Scquihd R__rchk Loob
    I am unsure what the "m" and upside down "u" are supposed to sound like.

My thoughts are that the characters, at least in an English context combine multiple English characters to create phonetic sounds familiar to ours.

The fusion of "c" and "q" in "Scquihd" for example could denote that it is a "cqu" sound. In the same word you can clearly see that u, i, and h are all combined to create basically one sound (weh).

In Lab I think the double-o looking character could just denote a long "a" sound (you can also notice it connects to a "b" looking character).

4. yokokazuo

yokokazuo Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    NagoyaKazuo
    I asked my Japanese friend if they heard anything in the Squid girl's song, but he didn't hear any Japanese.

Also it appears someone has "translated" one of the songs. ;)

Feryn Hyrk and Turnip like this.
  5. Endymion

Endymion Pro Squid

NNID:
    Endymion0
    I've always wondered what goes on inside a crackhead's mind.

#45 Endymion, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  6. WaifuRaccoonBL

WaifuRaccoonBL Inkling Fleet Admiral

Wait so the language is called Inkling? So they themselves are Inklings that speak inkling? Eh, name could've been better, (like animalese from animal crossing) but it certainly looks interesting. I like how there is even some deciphering going on. :3

7. Yaezakura

Yaezakura Pro Squid

Not exactly unusual for languages. People from England are English, and the language they speak is called English. A lot of languages follow similar trends, with the native word that refers to the language being identical to/slightly modified from the word used to refer to the country/people themselves.

8. yokokazuo

yokokazuo Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    NagoyaKazuo
    image.jpg image.jpg
    I noticed that in the first boss fight there are what looks like Japanese stop signs at the edge of some parts of the stage. The writing even looks similar to the word stop (とまれ)

9. Nukichuu

Nukichuu Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Nukikero
    Maybe we find out more about the Language in the sunken scrolls~ (the scrolls contain informations about inklings and other stuff~)

10. redadil4

redadil4 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    leatherbelt
    It reminds me of magicka were you can pick out words they say but its more gibberish.

11. Endymion

Endymion Pro Squid

NNID:
    Endymion0
    Am I the only one who hears warped japanese when I hear Inklish?

Exor likes this.
  12. Inari

Inari Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    FlippingTables
    I hear it too..

Exor likes this.
  13. Exor

Exor Inkling

I can't be the only nosy person to have actually seen this... can I...? ;)

I can verify that there are at least instances of correctly symbol-swapped English in Inkopolis at the very least. Go check out the studio where Callie and Marie are. There is a red sign there that distinctly reads ON AIR. I'll put the picture up here momentarily.

Attached Files:

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Inkling

NNID:
    PangaeaEarth
    I saw that too, and my brother agreed that it reads "on air." Also, there is a sign in Inkopolis that for sure has Japanese characters, and there is some text in the city (I forget where) that looks like Arabic to me.

15. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    This is what it looks like to me for a number of reasons. I'll likely post more later when I have some more time to devote to this.

That text actually looks very different from what appears in game, which is oftentimes more blocky. Again, I plan to post what I have so far, including many pictures, later.

I did, at least to some extent. Especially in this song: youtu.be/k4k1NdUEUP4 (Boss theme, so spoilers, maybe?)

Yup.

Could be phonetic. (Probably unlikely though…)

Interesting. I'd assume it's the same in the Japanese version of the game? Japanese does use English pretty extensively (including in the game), so I wouldn't be surprised if the Inkling language has ties to both English and Japanese in terms of transliteration, etc.

The attached file was almost all the text we had seen—in trailers, screenshots, etc.—by June 12, 2014. It's been a LONG TIME since then so I guess I've got some updating/work to do. :)

Attached Files:

16. Ryan Stokes

Ryan Stokes Inkling

Yeah this is what I was going to say also. Wind waker and twilight princess both had at least text or audio that was gibberish to us but it actually meant something, I'm guessing Nintendo is doing the same here

17. Amir

Amir Inkling

Based on the letters and gibberish I see that the kinda mixed japenese and English together and recreated the letters.

Exor likes this.
  18. Exor

Exor Inkling

Nintendo also did Animal Crossing, though. The gibberish there was constructed with sounds so that it would sound kind of like words and impressively passes some of them off, such as 'thank you' in New Leaf.

As for me, I do hear Japanese bits when the Squid Sisters do their song. This may be a result of Japanese origin and/or a J-Pop reference/nod.

Lastly (for now), it took Nintendo a lot of Zelda games before they made 'functional Hyrulean', so Inkling might not be set in stone just yet.

But, then again, this is Nintendo, and they have been known to put ridiculous amounts of details into things.

19. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    So, I've been trying to figure out the hopefully non-random Inkling alphabet. Most of my ideas & leads so far have proved fruitless.

I compiled this image of the squid girl amiibo box – the Japanese and English versions – and then an in-game picture of it, which seems to be based on the Japanese version.

[​IMG]

Looking at the "GEAR GET!" part on the right, some notes:
    • The o-with-a-hook character ends the top word and begins the last.
    • The "LI" seems to be a single character, and appears in both the top and bottom word.
    • The "Иㅏ" appears both in the top word and the left text blurb/speech bubble (last word on first line).

It'd be pretty crazy (i.e. dumb) if words weren't all consistently left-to-right or right-to-left, so I'm assuming it's one of those (probably left-to-right like English and [non-Classical] Japanese).

Not really sure if this image helps or anything, or if it can be "solved" – it may just show the alphabet/writing system is completely arbitrary/random, unfortunately. If anyone has ideas, please feel free to help out.

Attached to this post is my (non-exhaustive) compilation of the in-game brands with their English and Japanese names, along with a couple miscellaneous pictures of translated or maybe-translated text.

_____

EDIT: There's a reddit thread discussing/analyzing this image as well that I just stumbled across: http://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/38lge0/the_inkling_language_may_sadly_just_be_gibberish/

Attached Files:

#59 eli, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  20. Yacker

Yacker Inkling

I had been curious of this myself, and after seeing that "ON AIR" sign I simply had to investigate myself. I do believe I can confirm that the language has english-based origins as well as japanese ones, making it interesting to translate. As I only speak english, I will only be covering what I've found so far for the english-based translations. Take this image.
    [​IMG]
    Taken from the squid jump minigame. At first it just looks like nonsensical jibberish, yeah? But, it in fact reveals that the ON AIR sign above is indeed correct. It spells out Nintendo, complete with lowercase letters. The first letter is obviously an N, which confirms the ON AIR sign above being english. The next was a bit trickier, how ever it appears to be an i and an n fused together to make the in sound. The next was tricky too, however it is clearly a T and an E fused together to make the te sound. As to why these are capitals and the rest aren't I have no idea. The next is obviously an n, and the next obviously a d, and the last one obviously an o. So there certainly is a cohesive language here that we can translate, we just need to figure it out first.

21. SalsaSavant

SalsaSavant Full Squid

You know, Inkopolis is at least partially based on Tokyo. In JP, you see a lot of English. Maybe there's an English equivalent language and a JP one?
    Maybe more.

22. Howl

Howl Pro Squid

NNID:
    SilverHowl
    "Inklanese" i can't, such an ugly word lmao

23. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    Good thing it's not actually called that.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they just used random glyphs there that look like "Nintendo" that aren't the same as all the rest. Note you also see the И in the in-game amiibo box, on the speech bubble on the left, as I mentioned above. It's followed by a glyph that looks like ㅏ, so if there is some sort of correspondence to English, it'd be a two letter word starting with "N" – the only choice being "no" – which doesn't make much sense…

Relatedly, the first word on the left-hand side in the logo of the minigame (included in misc.png in my first post) is pretty reminiscent of the katakana イカ, though, which means "squid." Couldn't figure out how the right side meant "jump" though…

#63 eli, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  24. Endymion

Endymion Pro Squid

NNID:
    Endymion0
    Well if anyone would like to take the challenge to translate the Inklish Alphabet do so now because if not then I shall go for it.

25. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    ?????

I've been trying to do this for multiple hours today and yesterday (along with a bit when the game was first announced last June). The past couple posts have been about exactly this, including my first one which explicitly says "If anyone has ideas, please feel free to help out."

So go for it.

26. Yacker

Yacker Inkling

To me it looks like that box is japanese-oriented. As to why they would use one of the roman letters is beyond me. However, it appears to be possible that it's actually a part of the word below, as there wouldn't be enough room for both chunks of text on the same line, and when you add them together you get 11 letters, 1 more than the amount in the last word on the japanese text bubble. Seeing as they've combined letters in the Nintendo, I wouldn't put it past them to split them too. However, we'll probably need to translate simpler words that we know what they are before we can do larger words like this.

27. Terabyte

Terabyte Inkling Commander

NNID:
    PokeBoy99
    I would love to be able to understand Inkling, read Inkling, speak Inkling, and be Inkling.

28. Turnip

Turnip Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Snowdrop12320
    Actually, I've noticed that the script looks very similar to/based on Japanese katakana symbols.

For example: [​IMG]
    This looks like it could read as アイドル テレ (Idol TV)

#68 Turnip, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    SuperfastSeal-15 likes this.
  29. Kimmorz

Kimmorz Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Kimmorz
    I've been wondering about their language as well! There are those "Hello my name is" stickers all over in the game, but unfortunately only the hello is visible (rest of the letters are a bit too small to break down). It'd be really nice to know more about the language.

WiiU_Splatoon_scrn08_E3.jpg

30. spiffy

spiffy Full Squid

NNID:
    pinkylilacs
    as a language nerd i'm totally in love with this thread. a lot of you have definitely made great contributions. i definitely need to brush up on my japanese to see if it'll come up in handy at all. *rolls up sleeves*

31. missingno

missingno Inkling Commander

NNID:
    missingno
    Regarding the spoken language, I'm damn sure the credits starts with "Do you really know how little it means? You wanted me to..." (and then I can't make out the rest.

32. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    Noticed the テレ but not the アイドル. Cool. :)

_____

I think if anyone sees anything in the image I linked in my first post – http://i.imgur.com/hVbzk0F.png – that'd be some great information… unfortunately (and probably, at this point) it may only lead to a dead end.

33. spiffy

spiffy Full Squid

NNID:
    pinkylilacs
    oh my god, i knew this was katakana but i couldn't make out anything besides the レ and actually thought the ル was a ス.

34. yokokazuo

yokokazuo Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    NagoyaKazuo
    I thought the last symbol looked more like ヒ, but it would make sense if that said idol tele (although I think テレビ would be better) I'm not fluent in Japanese, but I dont remember hearing anyone say テレ for TV.

Also I'm starting to wonder if they just made up some of the symbols and had some based off of English and Japanese. With the back of the amiibo box, when comparing some symbols to the hiragana/katakana on the Japanese box they don't match up.

However I've been looking at the shops and I've just noticed that here seems to be some similarities to the alphabet.

35. yokokazuo

yokokazuo Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    NagoyaKazuo
    Didn't mean to post that already...
    But anyways here are some pictures
    The hat shop in Japanese is called サス・オ・ボン (sasu o bon) while it doesn't completely match up, if the writing was based off the romaji of the shop names then it looks like a backwards S/Z could be an S from the alphabet. And the backwards N could be the letter N. The O in "bon" doesn't match up with what would be the O in the middle though.
    image.jpg
    But also going by the shoe shop, it looks like the first S from "Ebisu Shoes" would be in the same place.
    image.jpg

36. RadioactiveMoth

RadioactiveMoth Squidibli

NNID:
    RadioactiveMoth
    This is all really good. I was thinking about the language since day one of the game, so I'm going to try and compile every character I can find in the game. I'll come back with my results later. Might be a while though.

Edit: Right away I have found a problem. The sign by Callie and Marie's studio that should say "On Air" has an 'r' in it. But, the logo for the "Squid Research Lab" also has an 'r' in it. But they don't have any repeating characters. "Research" also has two 'r's' in it, but there aren't two of the same character in the Inkling word. Either we don't have the right translation, or one of them isn't canon. (Most likely the Squid Research Lab, as it was from the direct and the Japanese twitter.)[​IMG]

#76 RadioactiveMoth, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  37. eli

eli Senior Squid

NNID:
    frozenpandaman
    really don't think the squid research lab text is the same as the rest of it. looks very different, too.

also, that sign doesn't necessarily say "on air" - just looks like it. it's also likely they just did that bit for fun.

38. Exor

Exor Inkling

Does the SRL look like it's based on Cyrillic (Russian) where the other examples are more or less Japanese to you? Might be another localization style?

39. RadioactiveMoth

NNID:
    RadioactiveMoth
    ....huh? I'm really confused by this sentence.

40. RadioactiveMoth

NNID:
    RadioactiveMoth
    Okay, so I went around Inkopolis and the sunken scrolls and found a TON of characters. Way more than needed for the English alphabet. I'm doing more compiling to find every one off of my notes, but I wanted to share this,

[​IMG]

See that poster?

[​IMG]

Those symbols in black, under the inkling girl, are not seen anywhere else as far as I know. They remind me of Kanji. If it is like Kanji, and there's characters for words, then the language is based on Japanese. However, since I found so many characters, There could be two languages, one for English, one for Japanese. Any thoughts?

Edit: Compiled all the character I found. There are a total of 97 unique characters. That is way too much for a language. I think that there might be no real language, and that it's just made up.

#80 RadioactiveMoth, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015