Is "squidbagging" ethical?

MintyMisc

Mint Chocto
Premium
Pronouns
She/They
Splatoon is a very fast game. Due to that speed, squidbagging must necessarily, in a majority of situations, exist in the stead of something else. In other words, you’re bagging instead of painting, or instead of engaging, etc. So I view it as “Ifyou’re bagging, you better be able to still win the game, or even just perform well overall, otherwise you’re just making a fool of yourself.”

TechGuy456

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
TechGuy456
Switch Friend Code
SW-6050-5614-1246
Yes, it is psychological warfare, and you can turn **** into a 4v3 if you are successful

Retro_Wolf

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3631-4982-0610
I've never taken it as a bad thing. I always taken it as a taunt all in good fun and in fact I think it's funny and fun. But ik how some other people feel about it and that it can really get on people's nerves and even tilt them. 1. I want to have good sportsman ship 2. I don't ever want to cause someone else to intentionally be angry simply like that. So I try to not do very often unless I just did something horrible/dangerous or like someone else said, just killed someone like 6 times when they were targeting me. Unless I'm with friends then we go all out with the taunts. To me taunts are fun and depending on the situation can make the game more lighthearted and funny!! But again not everyone feels that way and in game I don't want to be read wrong either because I never mean any harm.

ragingpluto

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2402-0807-8415
i used to get unnecessarily angry at people who would squidbag but now i just find it funny and partake in it if someones being a douchebag lmao, the point of squidbagging for most is to make people angry so they'll chase you down/take you off your game as a tactic so if you don't let it get to you, you won't lose out on anything plus now i just see it as friendly competition

DoubleDrewski

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5697-8390-4502
I see it as any other kind of flex. Squidbag away, but if you lose every 1v1 after that you will be the biggest of fools. Also proportional to the play. If you get a quad kill with 10 seconds left to win the game, who's gonna stop you? If you kill me and didn't even mean to, I will probably hunt you down and squidbag even harder. Perhaps there's some strategic value in getting your opponents riled up, but I personally wouldn't take the risk.

Mjmannella

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-6515-6020-5729
The ethical considerations of "squidbagging" in Splatoon 3, or any online multiplayer game, are subjective and depend on individual perspectives and community norms within the game. "Squidbagging" typically refers to repeatedly dipping in and out of squid form over an opponent's splatted inkling as a form of taunting or disrespect.

Some players may view it as unsportsmanlike behavior that can be seen as disrespectful or in poor taste, while others may see it as harmless fun or a way to express themselves within the game. Ultimately, whether squidbagging is considered ethical or not may vary based on the cultural norms and expectations within the Splatoon 3 community. It's important for players to be mindful of how their actions may be perceived by others and to respect the enjoyment and experience of fellow players.
Honestly? I think squidbagging is old hat as far as taunts go. Like, have some innovation with your taunts! That's why I twirl my Roller around if I want to spark some tension with another player during a TW match. It sends a message while also being more creative!

DoubleDrewski

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5697-8390-4502
Honestly? I think squidbagging is old hat as far as taunts go. Like, have some innovation with your taunts! That's why I twirl my Roller around if I want to spark some tension with another player during a TW match. It sends a message while also being more creative!
true, but that requires having a weapon that can do something funny to taunt with.

angelicakuma

Inkster Jr.
I used to be very against squidbagging, but recently I’ve come to the conclusion that there isn’t too much harm in it unless it genuinely steers away from the gameplay (someone squidbags and doesn’t contribute to the gameplay at all).

The only rules that players must abide by to play Splatoon are the rules Nintendo sets up in their TOS and for playing each game mode (e.g: score with clams in clam blitz). Nowhere is a rule that states “no squidbagging.” One can argue that squidbagging is unsportsmanlike conduct, however a quick and unrepeated squidbag incident would be hard to qualify as unsportsmanlike. Nintendo doesn’t even require you to read a definition of what’s unsportsmanlike—players can just enter the game without reading any rules other than what’s in the gameplay tutorial.

If Nintendo has to act on whether squidbagging is unsportsmanlike, then that opens a floodgate for defining other forms of symbolic speech and makes them have to decide which forms of symbolic speech are acceptable or not. Nintendo as a corporation does NOT want to go that direction.

As long as Nintendo takes inaction on squidbagging, squidbag away! Personally I find it satisfying to squidbag back at someone who‘s already squidbagged me. You reap what you sow.

Oney

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Oney
Switch Friend Code
SW-8066-2302-3824
The ethical considerations of "squidbagging" in Splatoon 3, or any online multiplayer game, are subjective and depend on individual perspectives and community norms within the game. "Squidbagging" typically refers to repeatedly dipping in and out of squid form over an opponent's splatted inkling as a form of taunting or disrespect.

Some players may view it as unsportsmanlike behavior that can be seen as disrespectful or in poor taste, while others may see it as harmless fun or a way to express themselves within the game. Ultimately, whether squidbagging is considered ethical or not may vary based on the cultural norms and expectations within the Splatoon 3 community. It's important for players to be mindful of how their actions may be perceived by others and to respect the enjoyment and experience of fellow players.
i really think it depends on the mode,

Turf war: Context is key here, Is it a squidparty or just one dude? Ether way i dont really care.

Anarchy: I do take it a little more personally and could get a little more salty at that

Salmon Run: Dont we use that to celebrate finishing a shift

Trent

Senior Squid
NNID
Trentz
ngl i created the op of this thread using chatgpt as a **** post my bad

DoubleDrewski

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5697-8390-4502
ngl i created the op of this thread using chatgpt as a **** post my bad
I thought that formatting looked familiar, was worried the forum was getting filled with bots like quora lol.

Domohead

Inkling
Pronouns
he/him
In matches, I only squidbag if I pull of something really impressive (though I usually opt for another taunt), or if it's to someone who just squidbagged me despite losing. Otherwise I'd just feel like I'm being a jerk for no reason. Either way squidbagging by other people doesn't get to me, and it's funny whenever it happens.

Apart from that, squidbagging is a fun thing to do with others in the lobby or after clearing a Salmon Run shift. I don't think this is that serious.

dabearsss

Inkster Jr.
I don't squidbag, and it's mildly annoying at worst when it happens to me. I'm not sure how it became a big moral debate, tbh.
It is, however, extremely funny if someone squidbags me then proceeds to lose the match.

It's a tale as old as time on Squidboards lol

Trent

Senior Squid
NNID
Trentz
this was all a social experiment to see who actually reads the content of the threads and who just reads the title and wants to put in their 2 cents ty for participating everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom