• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Is The Aerospray Viable In Ranked Battles?

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
I've used the Aerospray RG with 999,999 Turf Inked and the MG with 300,000 Turf Inked. The fact that it takes 5 hits to splat, has bad accuracy AND bad range means that competent opponents have plenty of time to react and juke you. I really like the Aerospray, and its good for Turf Wars, but its just not that good in Ranked Mode.
Turf inked doesn't mean anything in terms of skill, though...

But yeah, that can happen. You just have to change up your playstyle and try different methods of splatting and playing the mode.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Turf inked doesn't mean anything in terms of skill, though...

But yeah, that can happen. You just have to change up your playstyle and try different methods of splatting and playing the mode.
In other words, you have to work extra hard to make up for the deficiencies of the Aerospray because it has little in the way of relevant strengths to reward all your effort.

Look, I've seen people go into solo Ranked using nothing but Burst Bombs, as a self-imposed challenge, and still do well. You can "change up your playstyle" and "try different methods" to get such a thing to work, but just because it's possible to work hard enough to compensate doesn't mean that using nothing but Burst Bombs is an objectively inferior strategy. The same idea applies to the Aerospray; just because the player can be good enough to win with it doesn't mean that the weapon itself is good.

Reactions: 1o2

Monster

Inkling
NNID
Monster453
I think that it can be as viable as anything else as long as people play it the right way. You have to acknowledge the fact that it is different from any other shooter in that you cannot outrage other shooters in any situation no matter what, but that you excel in close range. You have to use as if it is not a shooter but a close range weapon similar to a roller or an inkbrush. You have to play smart when being approached from a distance instead of trying to shoot at them. You need to try more creative options like throwing down a seeker and hiding in the ink and waiting for them to get close enough for you to hit them. Then take advantage of your inkzooka to pick off players from far away. You wouldn't approach someone with a carbon roller from far away, so why would you with an aerospray? I think that once players realize how to use this weapon properly (and some already have) it will be seen more in the meta. I am not an elitist who doesn't see any potential in this weapon just because the tentatek outshines it as a shooter. This weapon should not be played as a shooter. Maybe if you played this weapon the way it should be played and not like a tentatek you would see its potential. It is not a replacement or a rival to the tentatek, it is something of its own class.

All of what i say only applies only to the MG because its subs and specials give it the range and killing tools that it needs for ranked mode. I do not see the RG being viable in ranked.

This is all coming from a tentatek main.

Damandatwin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Damandatwin
Only reason I can think of to use this is inkzooka spam... other than that it seems like anything the aerosprays can do can be done better by something else IMO.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Anything is viable in terms of playing Solo Queue, but the real question is how risky something is to run in solo queue. For example, running an inkbrush while playing TC. How much do you think the inkbrush will contribute to the team, compared to someone using Tentatek? Furthermore, how many weapons can you consistently beat, without having to rely on your special to save you every time? Honestly I'd say Aerospray probably loses to 80% of the weapons that are in Ranked, especially when you get to higher ranks. Unless you think you are an incredibly good player, please don't bring the team down by running the either Aerospray in ranked. And even if you're the best player in the world, it isn't hard to kill someone who can't shoot back, especially when you include potential lag.

AGCjj

Inkling
Sorry that this is long. I just didnt know how to explain my view of this discussion without going through lots of explaning

From what i can tell, the majority of people are saying that the Aerospray variants are bad choices to use in this forming Meta. Having people say that this weapon is better due to such and such when they can and can't be. With this being said i can say that those people are both correct but also wrong.

As an S+ player i rarely see the Aerospray. Just due to how the meta itself has been forming for higher ranked players. I myself had at one point used the RG varient a lot in Splatzones and sometimes in Towercontrol. This was due to how good the ink coverage is and how i prefered a more passive style of playing. However, i found the Aerospray as an overall hard to use weapon with its sub not being that great and its specials not really complimenting that sub as much as its wanted, aswell as there being a small issue of how limiting its range can be against other weapons.. These things had overall pushed me away from the Aerospray and made me try the N'ZAP and Splatershot which were more fitting for this current meta.

As its usage for competitive tournaments, i could see the weapon being used very rarely with only a few specific maps/modes combinations having it used.
And for ranked games i could see the MG working better for the offensive players and the RG for passive-defensive players, with a minority of players actually using them due to how the meta is currently forming.

Overall i would say to not use the Aerospray from rank A and up unless you are very confident in how you perform with the weapon.

Xsyven

Inkling
NNID
HeathM
I'm an S player, and I main Aerospray MG for Rainmaker. I'd say I'm a Rainmaker main as well, as most of my points have probably come from this gametype.

Aerospray MG obviously has a limited range, but its ridiculous fire rate allows me to cover turf and move around rather quickly. Seekers are great for attacking the Rainmaker's shield, and even better for taking out the opposing team's Rainmaker. Seekers are also great for creating paths. You can use them at the start of the match to get your team to the rainmaker's shield first, or at the end of the match, fast-tracking your team through enemy territory. Maybe I just really like Seekers. Inkzooka is also great for obvious reasons.

While it isn't a killing machine, It just fits my very aggressive playstyle. I would say it's viable in Rainmaker.

Not so sure about Tower or Splatzones, though.

Last edited:

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
Personally, I'd say the RG is better for Tower and Zones. You'd be surprised how effective placing Ink Mines on the tower can be. As for Zones, well... Inkstrike.
RG is fantastic in general for Bluefin Depot--there's six different chokepoints where it's easy to drop an ink mine to cut off an enemy's movement through major portions of the map (specifically the left-hand home Perch, which completely cuts off enemy push into home territory and forces them to the other side). The two mid areas are also the perfect size for Inkstrike action, and the walls into the home territories also happen to be just high enough that a quick burst from the Aerospray will cover them, which leaves you vulnerable for a shorter amount of time while you do so.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I think its alrite in RM depending on the map because seekers are actually good in RM. But I agree with others compared to all other weapons in its class its disadvantages out weigh any advantages. You could get better results and with less effort with a different weapon. A skilled ttek user or sploosh will out play a skilled areo all day. Aero wont even get close to longer ranged weapons. Sure, there might be the rare few god-like aero players but thats doesn't mean the weapon is competitively viable as a hard threat to other weapons.

Honestly if anything I think the video highlights the weapon's weakness. Anytime the weapon was pressured or majorly in any enemy ink in the video it died. It relied too heavily on the teammates to maintain the map control it could give and was rarely ever on the tower/objective pushing it directly. The only time it especially excelled was with its inkzooka. It was also in a map where there was zero pressure from an e-liter or any weapon with decent range and frankly against a bad team.

???

The thread is called 'Is The Aerospray Viable In Ranked Battles?', not 'Is The Aerospray Viable In Tournaments?'.
The thread is located in the "competitive discussion" section which implies its use in competition aka tourneys.

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
I think its alrite in RM depending on the map because seekers are actually good in RM. But I agree with others compared to all other weapons in its class its disadvantages out weigh any advantages. You could get better results and with less effort with a different weapon. A skilled ttek user or sploosh will out play a skilled areo all day. Aero wont even get close to longer ranged weapons. Sure, there might be the rare few god-like aero players but thats doesn't mean the weapon is competitively viable as a hard threat to other weapons.

Honestly if anything I think the video highlights the weapon's weakness. Anytime the weapon was pressured or majorly in any enemy ink in the video it died. It relied too heavily on the teammates to maintain the map control it could give and was rarely ever on the tower/objective pushing it directly. The only time it especially excelled was with its inkzooka. It was also in a map where there was zero pressure from an e-liter or any weapon with decent range and frankly against a bad team.
There's more skilled people with that weapon... like

Any weapon is viable as long as you can play it on many ways, aggressive, defensive, supportive... I just meet a Japanese player that got S+ 99 with the MG

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Just because someone can make something work, does not in anyway mean that it's truly viable. If I'm the greatest Splatoon player alive, I can make the inkbrush look god tier vs people who are inferior players to me. To me, it it just shows the Japanese player's much higher skill level than all of the players he encountered. His skill greatly made up for the weapon match ups.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
As I said "Sure, there might be the rare few god-like aero players but thats doesn't mean the weapon is competitively viable as a hard threat to other weapons."

I am not talking about the player, I'm talking about the weapon. Someone who can get to S+99 with aerospray means they are a very skilled player. There is nothing inherent to using areospray that lets them get any easy kills or an advantage other than the inkzooka and the video proved it. All non zooka kills he strafed and juked the crap out of those players in their own ink, that's why he is a good player, not because he was using an aerospray. He could have been using any gun in that quick shooter class and pulled off those jukes and likely wouldn't have to work as hard to do it.

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
As I said "Sure, there might be the rare few god-like aero players but thats doesn't mean the weapon is competitively viable as a hard threat to other weapons."

I am not talking about the player, I'm talking about the weapon. Someone who can get to S+99 with aerospray means they are a very skilled player. There is nothing inherent to using areospray that lets them get any easy kills or an advantage other than the inkzooka and the video proved it. All non zooka kills he strafed and juked the crap out of those players in their own ink, that's why he is a good player, not because he was using an aerospray. He could have been using any gun in that quick shooter class and pulled off those jukes and likely wouldn't have to work as hard to do it.
And that's why we have a crap meta where there's a few viable weapons, and the others are junk, hopefully this will change a bit with 2.20, but that way of thinking is ruining the meta, you must play what you like, not what you think is god tier because other players say, what happened on Inkstorm? Omohide(Memories) won playing what they like, not what meta said, meta in Japan before 2.20 was
"S+ (nearly necessary for a team)
Tentatek Splattershot/Octoshot Replica
.96 Gal Deco
E-liter 3K and variants

S
.52 Gal
Krak-On Splat Roller
Blaster Custom

A (occasionally viable)
Luna Blaster
Splattershot Jr.
Dynamo Roller

and clearly, Inkzooka, Kraken, and Splash Wall are the essential factors of competitive matches."

On most matches BS used 3K, .96, .52 and the octoshot, three S+ tier and one S tier.
While MM used Luna blaster, Range Blaster, Dynamo and a 3K, we'll say Range Blaster is A tier for now, so we have three A tier and one S+ tier.

What is remarkable is that the one with the Luna Blaster is usually the center of the game, because of his style, really aggressive and he moves a lot, if you watch the videos of the grand final you will see that Omohide has a more stable game, and they had the win in their hands since the begin, I think because they use the weapons they like and then make strategies to make that setup work, indeed they have some S+ weapons like walls and the inkzooka, but they prove that question here is how you master the weapon, more than what weapon you use, that's why I say it's viable, if a player likes that weapon and want to use it on tournaments and rankeds he can do it, just because it doesn't appear on S and S+ tier weapon list automatically you have to discard that weapon.
The whole inkstorm shown that Japanese teams has one or two weapons per player and they usually play with the one they like more, no matter map, mode and opponent setup, they build strategies with the setup they have, not based on the tier list like an unbreakable rule.
Also you said we're not talking about the player, but I think that our target is to build ourselves as good players, do you think it really matters what weapons we use if we don't build ourselves as good players? I think the viability of any weapon rely directly to the players. As musician is like If I think I'll be an awesome musician because I invest more money on instruments and setup than time on mastering the skills needed.

If people like that weapon, they just have to take it, they have the prove that S+ 99 is possible with that weapon if you train enough.
Also I'd like to say as a Dual Squelcher main, when I got to S and didn't saw any of them I nearly dropped the weapon, I nearly took the .96 gal, and finally I dropped the idea because until that point I didn't have to change the weapon to be the top layers a lot of times, to deal with splash walls, or inkzookas and dynamos, and then after few weeks other Dual Squelcher on S+ showed in my games, and got top player, proving is the skill of the player that matters.

Just because someone can make something work, does not in anyway mean that it's truly viable. If I'm the greatest Splatoon player alive, I can make the inkbrush look god tier vs people who are inferior players to me. To me, it it just shows the Japanese player's much higher skill level than all of the players he encountered. His skill greatly made up for the weapon match ups.

I know a couple of Inkbrush main players and they can kick the *** of any weapon, as I wrote before, we must build the skill based on what we like if we invest enough it'll pay off, the meta is just a reference.

What makes a weapon viable is you.

Damandatwin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Damandatwin
Omohide has a more stable game, and they had the win in their hands since the begin, I think because they use the weapons they like and then make strategies to make that setup work, indeed they have some S+ weapons like walls and the inkzooka, but they prove that question here is how you master the weapon, more than what weapon you use, that's why I say it's viable, if a player likes that weapon and want to use it on tournaments and rankeds he can do it, just because it doesn't appear on S and S+ tier weapon list automatically you have to discard that weapon.
I can appreciate that some players are best with "bad" weapons just due to their natural playstyle. This kind of thing happens in smash bros too (see aMSa). However that doesn't mean your weapon choice won't cause you problems, because ultimately your weapon is bad and will be beaten out by better weapons, assuming all other things are equal.

Also Omohide isn't a great example; luna blaster, e-liter and dynamo were totally top-tier abusive weapons at the time of the tournament, and even the range blaster is very strong. Also, normally Yugo uses a .52 gal which is also a top-tier.

Of course if you just want to get to S+ or whatever you can do it with basically any weapon you're competent with. It's only when you get into tournaments that you'll realize why something like the inkbrush just doesn't cut it. You can't consistently outplay the best players in the world.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom