1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

it feels depressing being a marina fan and having her as the forever splatfest loser

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Cadet Strongarm, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Squid Savior From the Future

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    Yes, this. As well as the other post I said this to, haha. You still get the loot when it's all over and it's almost the same for both teams, who why get salty over who won? Get salty about all-sniper team comps and poor Shifty Station setups instead! :D

2. Tofuvia

Tofuvia Inkling

NNID:
    GrudgeQueen
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3972-9557-5781
    I can't agree with that statement, her name in Japanese is Hime (which is just princess), so a bratty personality is to be expected. Even then her brattiness is honestly just being a childish adult. When she loses a Splatfest I'm super doubtful she'll be the type to say sorry you were right, that's just not the character that was written for her.

If we're to talk about crapping on someone, early game Marina was an absolute headache towards Pearl, which was nothing like her Japanese counterpart.

Anywho, I think Marina hasn't had any bad picks; I liked Invisibility more than Flight. Werewolves vs. Vampires was a hard choice; I just wish the community would quit with the mob mentality and pick what they liked rather than what idol has a better probability of winning or who the representative is.

3. iced potato

iced potato Senior Squid

I came here to post that I've never understood why so many people act like every Splatfest theme is basically just Callie vs Marie/Pearl vs Marina. Glad I'm not the only one who chooses what team they're on based on which side they like the most without being character bias. If I can't choose, I usually just pick which team has the ink colour I like more.

EarlyCuyler and Dessgeega like this.
  4. Padre

Padre Pro Squid

I like both Pearl and Marina, I choose the side myself, not because one of the hosts are defending it.

Mr. Squiggly Squid likes this.
  5. Mr. Squiggly Squid

Mr. Squiggly Squid Inkling Commander

I will admit I was one of those people that was all crazy for Marina before release, but now that the game's come out I'd say I like both of them about the same. Pearl just cracks me up with her cringey raps when she wins a Splatfest, I love it. In all, we need to focus on more that just a character's breasts.

6. Emperor

Emperor twitter.com/Emperor_Kun

The one time I felt Splatfest was extremely even is the time we get 3-0'd. What is going on....

Drew Sebastino likes this.
  7. Dark Sage Walker

Dark Sage Walker Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    I might be a minority in this, but I actually kind of like Marina's somewhat passive-aggressive attitude. It gets a little irritating that she is always taking jabs at Pearl, but if we look back at the first game, it was rare that Callie ever really said anything back to Marie's taunts except during Splatfests. To me, this is more of the same. That could be construed as a bad thing, but it doesn't bother me too much all in all. Pearl and Marina still work well together, even with all of their contrasting points. I happen to like Marina more, but she is not without her faults. Just like Pearl is not without her strengths. There is no harm in liking either one of them unless it's to the detriment of the other or towards the fan base.

Kayura05, Silxer and Ansible like this.
  8. MindWanderer

MindWanderer Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MindWanderer
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5961-6763-3987
    I'm not sure why people are saying Marina is the nastier one. She takes jabs at Pearl, true, but Pearl chucks childish insults at Marina all the time, too. Pearl still comes across as entitled and immature, but neither one has the moral high ground.

I'm just disappointed there was no toilet paper rap.

Kayura05 and Ansible like this.
  9. Mr. Squiggly Squid

Mr. Squiggly Squid Inkling Commander

"Yo yo yo! It's o o og pearl, homie! And imma kick a lil somthin' like this, like this! A yo when I come up in da place, you don't want me to call wit DAT front roll in yo face! Down wit a frown, I'm a very sad clown! And I become the reciter, all nighter, all righter! FRONT ROLL BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!" (I'm so sorry)

10. Dark Sage Walker

Dark Sage Walker Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8295-5505-1414
    It's okay. We are all entitled to embarrassing ourselves from time to time. In my case, I call it my average Tower Control session.

Ansible likes this.
  11. MINKUKEL

MINKUKEL Inkling Fleet Admiral

I don't really see that. Only during Splatfests do the two of them exchange jabs, but that's kinda the point of Splatfests and that's the same as in Splatoon 1. In the normal announcements, the basic format is that Pearl says something kinda stupid with Marina commenting on it.

12. RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
    Premium

NNID:
    RespawningJesus
    Honestly, I haven't liked most of the options for either side in a majority of the Splatfests so far, so I usually just go on the side where most of my friends choose. But I don't see it as Pearl vs. Marina, just X vs. Y. Just sort of bad luck that Marina had been getting the short end of the stick, but it isn't the end of the world.

13. EarlyCuyler

EarlyCuyler Semi-Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5208-7719-6394
    Youre SUPPOSED to pick the team you want to win, not be bias and choose whatever your favorite idol girl team is. It shouldnt MATTER which idol girl is on which team..but people are dumb i guess

14. IsmaR

IsmaR was tentacles all along
    Super Moderator

There's no right criteria/"answer" for how one should pick their Splatfest side. Aside from themes and which character is tied to which side, I know people that pick based on things like ink color (white ink especially), what they perceive as the "likely to win" side (i.e. Pearl in the recent trends) to even flipping a coin for it.

Yeah it makes the most sense to support whichever cause you feel most strongly about, but some people could care less and just want to enjoy night maps/farm Super Sea Snails/don't care that much and throw their vote away on insignificant preferences.

15. Agent Z

Agent Z Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2700-4413-3630
    Is your profile picture the unused Octoling icon for Splatoon 2 Hero Mode?

16. MindWanderer

MindWanderer Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MindWanderer
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5961-6763-3987
    Some examples from the wiki:
    • “Look at me! I'm Marina! BLAH BLAH BLAH!”
    • "Wanna know the key to winning here? Make sure Marina is on the other team.”
    There are a few more like that. Marina does have more, since she gets the punchlines, but Pearl has them too.

17. SilverBlue-Neko

SilverBlue-Neko Inkling Cadet

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0694-5266-9796
    I think people are really overthinking Pearl's and Marina's jabs at each other. You gotta remember something, they're friends! Friends pick on each other ALL THE TIME. It's not them being mean, just them poking fun at one another. Me and my best friend ridicule each other like nuts. It's what friends do and why I can believe Pearl and Marina are seriously close friends.

18. Silxer

Silxer Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Dan1771
    Exactly, me and my friends do the same thing all the time and all in good fun.

I just assumed it was just the same case here between Pearl and Marina since the start, I never really took their jabs at one another seriously and thought it was just all in good fun.

Dessgeega likes this.
  19. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Full Squid

I'm a firm believer that you should pick simply based on what team you prefer. I've seen so many people who are ride or die for Marina and honestly? Wait till the last splatfest guys, you'll have your Pearl Vs Marina splatfest in two years.

Quit trying to rush it. :p

20. NBSink

NBSink Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5607-3736-5200
    You must not forget that Japan is different... Mayo vs. Ketchup splatfest? Pearl got the popularity point in Japan. Also: Marina won again in the Agility vs. Endurance splatfest in Japan.