• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

it feels depressing being a marina fan and having her as the forever splatfest loser

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I plan don't understand why it matter which one wins? It's Splatfest, you're suppose to pick which team you prefer. I like Pearl more than Marina, but mainly choose the team Marina is on. It was like this back in Sploon 1 too. People constantly complaining about Marie always losing. It's just bad luck. Someone's always going to have more wins than others, there's no changing that. Also, this is like only the third offical Splatfest so let's cool our jets. We're suppose to be having two years of Splatfest so I'm pretty sure Marina will win some. Just play the Splatfest how it's supposed to be played. :p
Yes, this. As well as the other post I said this to, haha. You still get the loot when it's all over and it's almost the same for both teams, who why get salty over who won? Get salty about all-sniper team comps and poor Shifty Station setups instead! :D

Tofuvia

Inkling
NNID
GrudgeQueen
Switch Friend Code
SW-3972-9557-5781
it annoys me that pearl's been winning because personality wise pearl is the kind of person You'd want to punch in the face everyday for being such a loudmouth whiny prick

she's the ultimate heel someone that just brags and craps all over everyone else to the point where seeing her lose and be humbled is something you wanna see
I can't agree with that statement, her name in Japanese is Hime (which is just princess), so a bratty personality is to be expected. Even then her brattiness is honestly just being a childish adult. When she loses a Splatfest I'm super doubtful she'll be the type to say sorry you were right, that's just not the character that was written for her.

If we're to talk about crapping on someone, early game Marina was an absolute headache towards Pearl, which was nothing like her Japanese counterpart.

Anywho, I think Marina hasn't had any bad picks; I liked Invisibility more than Flight. Werewolves vs. Vampires was a hard choice; I just wish the community would quit with the mob mentality and pick what they liked rather than what idol has a better probability of winning or who the representative is.

iced potato

Senior Squid
I came here to post that I've never understood why so many people act like every Splatfest theme is basically just Callie vs Marie/Pearl vs Marina. Glad I'm not the only one who chooses what team they're on based on which side they like the most without being character bias. If I can't choose, I usually just pick which team has the ink colour I like more.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
I will comply... So long as another does not choose to act first.

This is part of the reason why Callie and Marie being similar was a good thing. There were no major distinctions in their appearance or the popularity of their Splatfest teams. Marie was snarkier, but Callie got her licks in all the same. That's not the case with Pearl and Marina. They're vastly different in both their looks, their choice of words, and even their music. Marina is a singer, Pearl is a Rapper. Even their species and skin tone directly contrast one another.

Let's be honest right now, Marina gained popularity early on because of her appearance and ONLY her appearance. We knew nothing of her personality, but the internet immediately exploded with a dislike of her crown clad partner. The internet and the gaming world is a place that is becoming highly accepting of minorities. Marina is an Octarian in an Inkling society, and she's not white. So it wasn't her unreasonable amount of exposed cleavage alone that earned her popularity.

Now that she has been on the wrong side of the Splatfest three times... It is not surprising that people are acting aggressively. However, do not think for a moment that I am in any way justifying what has been said here. That was clearly a reaction based purely on emotions and lacked any sort of logic or defining evidence to prove that Pearl is somehow more at fault than Marina is in her own regard.

Do not think for a moment that I am not fully prepared to point out each and every detail that could make Marina worthy of backlash, details that are on par with the things you are holding Pearl accountable for.

I do not favor either Squid Sister. I do not favor Pearl over Marina and vice versa. But resentment that comes from baseless conjecture and emotion alone is not something I understand, nor tolerate.
I will admit I was one of those people that was all crazy for Marina before release, but now that the game's come out I'd say I like both of them about the same. Pearl just cracks me up with her cringey raps when she wins a Splatfest, I love it. In all, we need to focus on more that just a character's breasts.

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
The one time I felt Splatfest was extremely even is the time we get 3-0'd. What is going on....

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I might be a minority in this, but I actually kind of like Marina's somewhat passive-aggressive attitude. It gets a little irritating that she is always taking jabs at Pearl, but if we look back at the first game, it was rare that Callie ever really said anything back to Marie's taunts except during Splatfests. To me, this is more of the same. That could be construed as a bad thing, but it doesn't bother me too much all in all. Pearl and Marina still work well together, even with all of their contrasting points. I happen to like Marina more, but she is not without her faults. Just like Pearl is not without her strengths. There is no harm in liking either one of them unless it's to the detriment of the other or towards the fan base.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I'm not sure why people are saying Marina is the nastier one. She takes jabs at Pearl, true, but Pearl chucks childish insults at Marina all the time, too. Pearl still comes across as entitled and immature, but neither one has the moral high ground.

I'm just disappointed there was no toilet paper rap.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
I'm not sure why people are saying Marina is the nastier one. She takes jabs at Pearl, true, but Pearl chucks childish insults at Marina all the time, too. Pearl still comes across as entitled and immature, but neither one has the moral high ground.

I'm just disappointed there was no toilet paper rap.
"Yo yo yo! It's o o og pearl, homie! And imma kick a lil somthin' like this, like this! A yo when I come up in da place, you don't want me to call wit DAT front roll in yo face! Down wit a frown, I'm a very sad clown! And I become the reciter, all nighter, all righter! FRONT ROLL BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!" (I'm so sorry)

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
It's okay. We are all entitled to embarrassing ourselves from time to time. In my case, I call it my average Tower Control session.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't really see that. Only during Splatfests do the two of them exchange jabs, but that's kinda the point of Splatfests and that's the same as in Splatoon 1. In the normal announcements, the basic format is that Pearl says something kinda stupid with Marina commenting on it.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Honestly, I haven't liked most of the options for either side in a majority of the Splatfests so far, so I usually just go on the side where most of my friends choose. But I don't see it as Pearl vs. Marina, just X vs. Y. Just sort of bad luck that Marina had been getting the short end of the stick, but it isn't the end of the world.

EarlyCuyler

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5208-7719-6394
Youre SUPPOSED to pick the team you want to win, not be bias and choose whatever your favorite idol girl team is. It shouldnt MATTER which idol girl is on which team..but people are dumb i guess

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
There's no right criteria/"answer" for how one should pick their Splatfest side. Aside from themes and which character is tied to which side, I know people that pick based on things like ink color (white ink especially), what they perceive as the "likely to win" side (i.e. Pearl in the recent trends) to even flipping a coin for it.

Yeah it makes the most sense to support whichever cause you feel most strongly about, but some people could care less and just want to enjoy night maps/farm Super Sea Snails/don't care that much and throw their vote away on insignificant preferences.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
There's no right criteria/"answer" for how one should pick their Splatfest side. Aside from themes and which character is tied to which side, I know people that pick based on things like ink color (white ink especially), what they perceive as the "likely to win" side (i.e. Pearl in the recent trends) to even flipping a coin for it.

Yeah it makes the most sense to support whichever cause you feel most strongly about, but some people could care less and just want to enjoy night maps/farm Super Sea Snails/don't care that much and throw their vote away on insignificant preferences.
Is your profile picture the unused Octoling icon for Splatoon 2 Hero Mode?

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I don't really see that. Only during Splatfests do the two of them exchange jabs, but that's kinda the point of Splatfests and that's the same as in Splatoon 1. In the normal announcements, the basic format is that Pearl says something kinda stupid with Marina commenting on it.
Some examples from the wiki:
  • “Look at me! I'm Marina! BLAH BLAH BLAH!”
  • "Wanna know the key to winning here? Make sure Marina is on the other team.”
There are a few more like that. Marina does have more, since she gets the punchlines, but Pearl has them too.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
I think people are really overthinking Pearl's and Marina's jabs at each other. You gotta remember something, they're friends! Friends pick on each other ALL THE TIME. It's not them being mean, just them poking fun at one another. Me and my best friend ridicule each other like nuts. It's what friends do and why I can believe Pearl and Marina are seriously close friends.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I think people are really overthinking Pearl's and Marina's jabs at each other. You gotta remember something, they're friends! Friends pick on each other ALL THE TIME. It's not them being mean, just them poking fun at one another. Me and my best friend ridicule each other like nuts. It's what friends do and why I can believe Pearl and Marina are seriously close friends.
Exactly, me and my friends do the same thing all the time and all in good fun.

I just assumed it was just the same case here between Pearl and Marina since the start, I never really took their jabs at one another seriously and thought it was just all in good fun.

Foxtrot

Full Squid
I'm a firm believer that you should pick simply based on what team you prefer. I've seen so many people who are ride or die for Marina and honestly? Wait till the last splatfest guys, you'll have your Pearl Vs Marina splatfest in two years.

Quit trying to rush it. :p

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Marina won fries vs nuggets and won the most recent splatfest in japan. and Pearl is NOT a "whiny prick", do you even play the game?
You must not forget that Japan is different... Mayo vs. Ketchup splatfest? Pearl got the popularity point in Japan. Also: Marina won again in the Agility vs. Endurance splatfest in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom