• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Japan Splatfest: LOVE vs MONEY

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
As married person, the choice has already been made for me had this come to my region.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Love doesn't always mean relationships. Would you rather take an easier job that pays more money or possibly the job you love that might pay you less or be much harder on you?
See, I've met a lot of people who don't really have a "dream job," might not believe such a thing is real, or don't think it's worth it. To them, that second option just plain doesn't exist.

As an example, my 3rd-grade teacher told us that if we didn't get into law, medicine, hard sciences, or education, we'd be scavenging other people's trash for food. She was particularly disgusted at my interest to get into entertainment (television, to be precise), enough to hold a parent-teacher conference. (Some of you who read this might be wondering why she also ruled out politics, business, and soft sciences. This is because these are fields with high chances of failure.)

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
As an example, my 3rd-grade teacher told us that if we didn't get into law, medicine, hard sciences, or education, we'd be scavenging other people's trash for food. She was particularly disgusted at my interest to get into entertainment (television, to be precise), enough to hold a parent-teacher conference. (Some of you who read this might be wondering why she also ruled out politics, business, and soft sciences. This is because these are fields with high chances of failure.)
I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Also most people think of relationships as romantic, but love can also be the bond between parent and child or between family members. Some people also bond with their pets as you can see how heated Cats vs Dogs was.

Also there is also loving like a friend. Not everyone has to be bonded romantically but it is no less valid.

"Some friendships are so strong, they can even transcend lifetimes."

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
See, I've met a lot of people who don't really have a "dream job," might not believe such a thing is real, or don't think it's worth it. To them, that second option just plain doesn't exist.

As an example, my 3rd-grade teacher told us that if we didn't get into [...] or education,
But of course she'd exempt herself.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
But of course she'd exempt herself.
Yeah, she saw herself as something of a self-sacrifice in order to produce more lawyers, engineers, scientists (but only for hard sciences) and doctors in this world.

However, she DID grow up in Korea, a country with an ultra-competitive culture regarding finding work, a country where your income is your reputation, and whose entertainment scene, until the recent rise of K-pop and K-drama, was a complete wreck and was about as sought-after as a career choice as sanitation.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Money doesn't buy true love. It certainly helps though, when you're in a financial jam. But I'm a sucker for sappy love stuff so my choice is obvious.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Hey, in the country where my parents were born and grew up, you could pretty much bribe your way into or out of anything as long as the bribe is big enough. (Somewhat amusingly, this has the side effect of traffic cops letting the driver have their way if the driver is white or black, as it means they're most likely going to actually pay the traffic ticket and not pay directly to the officer.)

Don't forget mail-order brides, like from Russia and such.

Yeah, it's not true love. But to some people, it's close enough.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Well this is a very cute topic- in a way. <(ovo)>
I'm sure money would get the upper hand within popularity.
I dunno about love but this will be interesting to see the results. <(oAo)>
I'm actually not sure who would win though... but I gotta bet my money on Team Money. ;^)

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
Well,that's one of the most interesting Splatfest themes so far...and a deep one too.
Love is kinda based on money if you think for a while though.
''There's no such thing as a free lunch.''

And about the phrase ''japanese aren't interested in relationships'' ... I wouldn't say that. Japanese girls just seem to be very shy,japenese barely have time to find somebody since they basically work the whole day,so they rely on ''Waifu'' apps,magazines and stuff like that.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
And about the phrase ''japanese aren't interested in relationships'' ... I wouldn't say that. Japanese girls just seem to be very shy,japenese barely have time to find somebody since they basically work the whole day,so they rely on ''Waifu'' apps,magazines and stuff like that.
Actually that statement is partly wrong. There is statistically more men that are timid and shy in japan culture than women. A lot of what makes their Dating Sim industry thrive so much is because of those shy men that cannot overcome their barriers and resort to such games. There are even some locations outfitted to support such gaming software to create the illusion of you being with a virtual love in actual life. It's actually true, as far as the young populous of Japan.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
One of the Splatfest ideas I've thought for a while that could happen eventually is Heart vs. Brain. I guess this is close?

Not sure what sister-cousin I would support, to be honest.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
(is waiting for shrek is love shrek is love)
for me I consider all if precious and shouldn't be devalued so love for me but this is a great theme

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom