• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Japanese Learners’ Thread

Bluejay

Inkster Jr.
Wow great ressources! I've been casually learning japanese for a few years now (reasons unrelated to splatoon), and I'm able to understand 70-90% of what they say in splatoon videos (depending on the creator). I've found it helpful to use youtube's CC to get a rough idea of what they're saying, and then google specific terminologies (スプラ + “the term”) to learn more — since splatoon is so popular in Japan, you get a lot of results. Inkpedia is also good for looking up equivalent terms in different languages.

In terms of learning the language itself i think Duolingo isn't as helpful as just listening to how ppl talk and read what they write (simple stuff like anime with bilingual subtitles, or get on jp twitter and try to decipher what they're saying lol). It's hard at first but I've learned a big chunk of what I know by doing this. One splatuber I would recommend for this is またりんちゃんねる. They tend to speak in simple terms in their guides and often has subtitles.

Also I've been wanting to translate some japanese ressources (guide videos) to english because they've helped so much in my improvement and I want to share them with more ppl. If anyone has the same idea or need help for a similar project hmu : )

squid-lesbian

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-7740-0630-6914
It's a bit wild to me that no one has mentioned it yet, but if you are interested in learning Kanji/vocabulary, then Anki is goat!
It's a great app that allows you to customize your learning experience to your hearts content, and there are tons of plugins with fun features, most important for Japanese it's the "three sided cards" that always have the reading on the backside, depending if they are recall cards (language you know -> language you learn) or recognition cards (language you learn -> language you know).
A Sensei of mine is also developing a learning app that looks very promising to me, but it's still in pre-alpha, so it might not be of use to everyone yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom