Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
Ooh! Ooh! I'm more active in the Japanese Splatoon community than any of the English ones. This is kinda' my first venture into English Splatoon, aside from when I tried out Splatoon NA for about a year out of curiosity. (I never really spoke to anyone though. I started playing with Japanese "Splatoon 2" years ago.) I might be able to help with some things if needed. I'll try my best if I'm asked anything!

And also, I'll try to answer as quick as possible. I promise, if I didn't say anything yet, I'm not ignoring you. I probably didn't see it yet, or I might be busy at the moment.

My first language is English, because I'm American. But my grasp of Japanese is pretty dang good and I usually play games in Japanese. And, of course, I gotta' write in Japanese every day on Twitter because almost all my mutuals live in Japan. I hope I can help you guys out!

Oh, and Duolingo is wrong sometimes, btw. I tried it out a long time ago for practice, and I noticed pronunciations were incorrect a few times when kanji was used in the text-to-speech that could be read multiple ways. Just a head's up on that! :O
ok, last year was when I learned about Duolingo from a fren from the bus, I am homeschooled now so I take every chance I get to practice Japanese

misshiirin

Pro Squid
Pronouns
She/Her
ok, last year was when I learned about Duolingo from a fren from the bus, I am homeschooled now so I take every chance I get to practice Japanese
I can't even remember when or how I learned about Duolingo. It was probably from some joke or meme or something haha. I will tell you this, if you know what's being said is pronounced incorrectly, it's sort of good for review and practice by reading. (People need to report the mistakes more often, I think, so it gets fixed.) Definitely not that great for actually learning from square one. It's way better to learn from books and especially native speakers in classes and stuff. (Which can be expensive, but awesome if you can go!) The Genki books mentioned earlier are actually really good iirc.

It's all about immersion if you want to amp up your studies. Try to put as much stuff in Japanese as possible so you're exposed to it like, all day. You know, labeling things around the house if you can, anything like that. Even if at first it's just in romaji or whatever level you can read kana or kanji at. That worked for me, anyway! Soon enough, I was able to read and write like a champ. Thinking in Japanese as much as possible is also important. When speaking in the language, it's best to think in it.

Keep up the good work!

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I can't even remember when or how I learned about Duolingo. It was probably from some joke or meme or something haha. I will tell you this, if you know what's being said is pronounced incorrectly, it's sort of good for review and practice by reading. (People need to report the mistakes more often, I think, so it gets fixed.) Definitely not that great for actually learning from square one. It's way better to learn from books and especially native speakers in classes and stuff. (Which can be expensive, but awesome if you can go!) The Genki books mentioned earlier are actually really good iirc.

It's all about immersion if you want to amp up your studies. Try to put as much stuff in Japanese as possible so you're exposed to it like, all day. You know, labeling things around the house if you can, anything like that. Even if at first it's just in romaji or whatever level you can read kana or kanji at. That worked for me, anyway! Soon enough, I was able to read and write like a champ. Thinking in Japanese as much as possible is also important. When speaking in the language, it's best to think in it.

Keep up the good work!
thx!

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
playing Splatoon in japanese is a really good idea for this too.
Partly because it's japanese and partly because it helps you learn the splatoon-specific vocabulary that you won't get most other places

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
playing Splatoon in japanese is a really good idea for this too.
Partly because it's japanese and partly because it helps you learn the splatoon-specific vocabulary that you won't get most other places
whenever I try to get to Japanese servers I have to wait a few months before I can get to them

Lumi

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3446-6641-9702
I'm pretty amateur in the matter: I don't watch anime or have any particular interactions with the Japanese language outside of Nintendo games. But I've been dabbling in the stuff casually whenever I've been feeling like it.

Nice to see I am not alone here, though!!

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I'm pretty amateur in the matter: I don't watch anime or have any particular interactions with the Japanese language outside of Nintendo games. But I've been dabbling in the stuff casually whenever I've been feeling like it.

Nice to see I am not alone here, though!!
one question about Splatoon 3, what anarchy battle mode do you usually do?

sevenleaf

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
okay it's almost 3 am as i write this post but i've been vaguely remembering a resource i used a lot back when i first started trying to learn japanese and i was trying to learn the kana scripts - it was a space invaders-type browser game, where you typed out the romaji equivalents to shoot down kana spaceships as they spawned in

i finally decided to see if i could find it again and i did! kana invaders! looks different than what i remembered (it seems to have been recreated in unity, y'know, post-flash death) but plays more or less the same. i also found an archived version of the original flash game running through ruffle but at least for me, well, it runs perfectly except that... uh... the kana doesn't show up on the ships. :x

Lumi

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3446-6641-9702
one question about Splatoon 3, what anarchy battle mode do you usually do?
Whatever is on at the time! I like all of them nearly equally with maybe a minor preference for Splat Zones so I don't have to worry whether a teammate is taking care of the objective or if I need to step up instead. Turf War is the only mode I cannot stand; It's too stressful for me. The fact that the enemy team can delete our score is so scary...

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
Whatever is on at the time! I like all of them nearly equally with maybe a minor preference for Splat Zones so I don't have to worry whether a teammate is taking care of the objective or if I need to step up instead. Turf War is the only mode I cannot stand; It's too stressful for me. The fact that the enemy team can delete our score is so scary...
whenever you do Rainmaker open and see someone named Spamton or Peppino just know it's me, ok?

sevenleaf

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
so i was doing my ‘snooping at what the 200 guests are looking at’ thing again and i found an old japanese-learning thread from 2016! mentions some resources we haven’t brought up here. it lasted like 5 pages and i’d say it’s worth reading through. (also it kinda jumpscared me how the title of that thread is very close to this one’s title 😳)

lots of folks introduced themselves in japanese for practice there which i think is fun. i talk too much so y’all know me already, but:
こんにちは!僕の名前はクローバーです。二十四歳です。十年間日本語を勉強しています。よろしくお願いします!

(i’m not sure how i wanna translate ‘sevenleaf’ - straight katakana transliteration like セヴェンリーフ? translate one or both words in there to japanese? just keep it as is?? that last one wouldn’t be good practice though - so i just used my ‘real’ name lol)

misshiirin

Pro Squid
Pronouns
She/Her
so i was doing my ‘snooping at what the 200 guests are looking at’ thing again and i found an old japanese-learning thread from 2016! mentions some resources we haven’t brought up here. it lasted like 5 pages and i’d say it’s worth reading through. (also it kinda jumpscared me how the title of that thread is very close to this one’s title 😳)

lots of folks introduced themselves in japanese for practice there which i think is fun. i talk too much so y’all know me already, but:
こんにちは!僕の名前はクローバーです。二十四歳です。十年間日本語を勉強しています。よろしくお願いします!

(i’m not sure how i wanna translate ‘sevenleaf’ - straight katakana transliteration like セヴェンリーフ? translate one or both words in there to japanese? just keep it as is?? that last one wouldn’t be good practice though - so i just used my ‘real’ name lol)
I'd use "セブンリーフ" if it were me.

じゃ…私も行くよ〜
はじめまして。ミッシーりんですよ〜でもねミッシーだけで良い!
私の一番好きな武器はボールドマーカー!毎日日本語を話しているけどまだまだ下手くそだね♡ 笑
よろしく!

misshiirin

Pro Squid
Pronouns
She/Her
What about mine? I can't figure out if it would be スクィブ or スクイブ. I'm guessing the second one but it makes the first part of the word weirdly long.
"スクイッブ" would be my choice. When you say it, you don't really gotta say each individual sound. You just make it roll off your tongue in one go. I hope this makes sense. I'm so bad at explaining things haha.

You know, kinda like you're actually saying 'Skwibbu' (still an extremely slight pause in the middle that's hardly noticeable when speaking naturally). It would sound a lot like that.

Edit: スクイブ also works if you wanna keep it shorter, though. I meant to add that in there. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom