• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Japanese Learners Thread!

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Erm, well, I was trying to ease into all of this but it feels like I am being rushed to explain everything...So nevermind.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
My apologizes if I come off as bitter, just it is hard for me to pin down everything. But I will leave this place alone for now then because I feel somewhat bombarded.
Frick
Apparently I can't people

If you need to take a break that's fine
I hope to see your return! :)

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
1. They just do, and you are going to see that more. Especially with counting. It has to do with the way it sounds on the ears, and Japanese rely on sounds more than pronunciation. So it is going to have the hiragana ha, but ending with wa sound instead.

2. Yes, it means 'my dog'. With that knowledge, you will be able to bring up subjects of what you own. There is a bit more of a complex form of it where you declare you 'own' something more than regarding it as 'mine'.

3. "This is my car, and..." This is pretty advanced. Why you ask? It has the て/で form. This will be a very complex sentence structure later that will elongate your sentences. This also act as attachments to verbs within the sentence structure. これ belongs to a list of object pointers near the listener, and can be pretty much controversial how they are used. There are also the version to point out something more than one object, and last but not least...When I mentioned about the SOV (Subject Object Verb), this sorta demonstrates how the て/で forms come into play. As you might as guess: です is going to do that later, it will become 'and' to some things.

4. Yes, it is. You will have ます, ました, ません, ませんでした. Those are polite ending actions to verbs that do current and past tense. But です alone is just a cherry on top, as I said. And it must come ONLY after the whole sentence is completed, not during it. Otherwise it comes off as funny.

Okay, since I explained that, greetings since I did not cover this.

The most common greeting in Japanese is こんにちは is the most standard usage, and can be used at any time. Though it is also known as a 'noon' greeting. It does not need 'desu' at the end, and is easy to catch on. Another one is もしもし which gets used on the phone, or to get someone's attention. It is not impolite.

Now we get into early morning, you want to greet someone for the very first time. You say: おひようございます. The more causal is just おひよう.

Evening is こんばんは.

Good night is おやすみなさい.

Now for good bye can be very odd since people think さよなら means just good bye, no. It means good bye forever till we meet again, or some months after. It really literally means that.

http://blogs.transparent.com/japanese/how-to-say-goodbye-in-japanese/

Here is a link explaining about the context of saying good bye since there is a LOT for me to usher here.

To top it off, here is a site explaining how your first meeting with someone goes. It kinda saves me the time to explain it out because off, lengthy...

http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/lesson10.cfm

I think I covered most what you will be learning for now. It is a lot, but it will help in a long run.

(Edit: The が particle is used when the listener is aware of something, and is used with things such as これ. They are never, ever paired up with the particle は, and are also paired with actions and directions. Keep in mind of that when using it.)

(Edit: だ is not just a male term. However there IS terms for both male and female, but it is just a 'tact' on thing. It is just to sound super masculine, or super girly, otherwise not all Japanese use it. Same goes with the pronouns.)
I was just asking to see how が was being used. So が in that phrase refers to これ (this), and is used because both people know what これ refers to (in this case, the car)?

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I was just asking to see how が was being used. So が in that phrase refers to これ (this), and is used because both people know what これ refers to (in this case, the car)?
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's referring to これ but I don't think(?) that it seeing used because both people know what it refers to. I think it's the same in English where you say 'this is ____' and maybe only one person knows what it is.
Also, there are several ways to say this/that in Japanese, which depend on the distance of the object to to the speaker and the distance to the listener. I get pretty mixed up on it. I don't think you particularly need to get worried about that just yet, but if you take Duolingo you'll learn *some* differentiation.

jookie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
j00kieizm
I disappeared for a while from this forum but I'm back!
The books that my former university are using to teach Japanese is the Genki series. I didn't use them because my teacher had made her own texts but after she left, all the other classes used these.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/GENKI-Integrated-Course-Elementary-Japanese/dp/4789014401
There's tons of PDFs of them around the net though so if you google, you'l find them.

Particles in Japanese are a trip and a lot of it is easier to grasp once you get further along in your studies.
https://nihongoichiban.com/home/japanese-grammar-particles/

Also I'll chime in if that's cool. I'm far out of my Japanese studies since it's been 5 years since I graduated uni but I live in Japan and use Japanese 98% of my day.

これが私の車で、私はこれを運転します.
This is my car (and) I drive this.
The で here is used as a connection for what would otherwise be two sentences, so it's working as "and."
If it was cut into two sentences it'd be これが私の車です。私はこれを運転します。
The desu verb is being put into its "te-form" to connect the sentences.
Beginners usually don't learn about te-form until after learning informal verb conjugation so I can see how it's confusing.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's referring to これ but I don't think(?) that it seeing used because both people know what it refers to. I think it's the same in English where you say 'this is ____' and maybe only one person knows what it is.
Also, there are several ways to say this/that in Japanese, which depend on the distance of the object to to the speaker and the distance to the listener. I get pretty mixed up on it. I don't think you particularly need to get worried about that just yet, but if you take Duolingo you'll learn *some* differentiation.
I am actually doing Duolingo but I am getting somewhat frustrated because it does not explain the grammar, it just gives you questions on the grammar and asks you to answer it, which I answer correctly through trial and error and don't really learn the topic.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I am actually doing Duolingo but I am getting somewhat frustrated because it does not explain the grammar, it just gives you questions on the grammar and asks you to answer it, which I answer correctly through trial and error and don't really learn the topic.
Like what?

There's a website called Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar that can help :)

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Sup. I'm also one of those self-taught people who have been beyond lazy at first and figured that diving in head-first into playing video games while learning was the best way to pick up a general feel for the grammar (knowing full well that it's not even close to spoken, polite Japanese) and most of all, just vocab / kanji. It worked surprisingly well but probably only because I've been not only studying the first 100-200 Kanji first, but also basic radicals and compounds and documented each and every kanji I ran into while playing those games and repeat them 3 times a week until I knew them by heart.

I basically mix Genki 1+2 (books + audio), kanjidamage, jisho (online-resources) and non-learning resources like said video games, manga and anime raws and I've gotten to the point where I can read if fairly fluently (might still look up Kanji and their compound words) when I'm not slacking off for a while. I've yet to really use the language much myself in actual conversation and outside of exercises and I should seriously stop missing the JLPT exam dates (which are like...only 2 times a year).

I'll just throw in the general "particles are a bish" while I'm at it because I've had a friend who asked me for help quite often struggle so hard with them and me sucking at explanations only contributed to the problem. D|

では、よろしくお願いします。

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom