• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Japanese Learners Thread!

pixelizedchell

Inkling
Does anyone who watches subtitled anime have the experience where you're starting to find that you can translate bits and pieces better than some of the subtitles? I've been having that experience every once in a while watching Sailor Moon Crystal. (Then again my comprehension is much better than my speaking, reading, or writing.)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Does anyone who watches subtitled anime have the experience where you're starting to find that you can translate bits and pieces better than some of the subtitles? I've been having that experience every once in a while watching Sailor Moon Crystal. (Then again my comprehension is much better than my speaking, reading, or writing.)
No, unfortunately. I do get really proud of myself when I recognize a kanji or a word(or grammar particle).

Wow, Notifications failed to notify me on my own thread. *slow clap*

On a completely unrelated note, does 一年生 apply to high school or just college? (Or both?)

Last edited:

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
I do. I always get stupid excited about it, too, like, "Yay! I understood 10% of that conversation!"

@G1ng3rGar1 I think it applies to students in general

G

girigiriHERO

はじめまして、みんたさん!キックパンチャアです。にぼんごをじょずじゃない、たからがんばります!

Okay, first I am going to apoligize for if I "misspelled" anything. I downloaded a new app specifically for this, so I'm still trying to figure it out.

Anyway, I took a Japanese class several years ago in school. I remember a decent amount, but not everything. But hey, that's why we're herd, right?
if you want to say you aren't good, you'd say
"上手(じょうず)ではありません。"
although people might understand "じょうずない" that isn't correct at all.

How did I learn Japanese? Gaming, drinking, and just hanging out with Japanese friends. Nowhere near fluent, that takes years or immersion at a young age, but I can go to Japan and get around with no problems. My in-laws are Japanese, but living in Canada, I don't get to see them often.

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
"上手(じょうず)ではありません。"

How did I learn Japanese? Gaming, drinking, and just hanging out with Japanese friends. Nowhere near fluent, that takes years or immersion at a young age, but I can go to Japan and get around with no problems. My in-laws are Japanese, but living in Canada, I don't get to see them often.
"上手(じょうず)ではありません。"

I thought じゃない was just a less formal version of じゃありません?

G

girigiriHERO

I thought じゃない was just a less formal version of じゃありません?
sorry I completely misread it, I thought you put じょうずない、I didn't notice it was じょうずじゃない。My mistake. However じゃない isn't proper Japanese depending on who you're talking to. I wouldn't use that if you are around older people, especially if they weren't raised in Tokyo. One of my teachers was Japanese and born in Kyoto and he hated when people used that word ww

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
sorry I completely misread it, I thought you put じょうずない、I didn't notice it was じょうずじゃない。My mistake. However じゃない isn't proper Japanese depending on who you're talking to. I wouldn't use that if you are around older people, especially if they weren't raised in Tokyo. One of my teachers was Japanese and born in Kyoto and he hatedwhen people used that word ww
I o know about using proper forms when speaking with elders and superiors. I figured this was a more casual peer group, though.

pixelizedchell

Inkling
Speaking of forms, is it ok to just use the typical polite form ("desu", etc.) with most people if you don't know what form to use or do you need to absolutely figure out how to speak beforehand? (I think I just discovered an entire new level of social anxiety...)

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
Speaking of forms, is it ok to just use the typical polite form ("desu", etc.) with most people if you don't know what form to use or do you need to absolutely figure out how to speak beforehand? (I think I just discovered an entire new level of social anxiety...)
pretty much, yeah. being formal if you're unsure is the best way to go, you can start using more casual language as you talk to people and get closer to them!

i've found that infact, when i start talking to Japanese people, they tend to use formal/dictionary forms with me for a while, until they realize i'm familiar with colloquialisms/slang/all that :> often they're just really happy people are bothering to learn the language at all, no matter what you do, you'll be alright i'm sure.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Is Memrise any good? I know some people who have tried it but I don't know if it's worth it or not
Sorry for being late, notifs stopped again :| :( And I think it's nice, I just wished it was a little more versatile and came with a search option (which I haven't found in my uses of it).

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Hey guys, I majored in Japanese in college and now I live in Japan. I've been living here for about 4 years and my husband is Japanese. I'm studying for the N1 JLPT because I failed it a year back by a few points. T_T;
頑張って。

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom