• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Kelp Dome: Analysis and Thoughts

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I really don't like how Ink Strikes on Splat Zones can both neutralize and cap the zone in one go on this map.

And by really dislike it, I mean it is really fuzzy bunny stupid and just poor design.
Inkstrikes don't place all their ink at once, they start in the center and expand outward over time. This means you can stop it from capping by shooting into it to quickly paint back over the center before it's done.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Inkstrikes don't place all their ink at once, they start in the center and expand outward over time. This means you can stop it from capping by shooting into it to quickly paint back over the center before it's done.
If your team doesn't aid you in trying to shoot through the ink strike, you are not going to prevent it from capping. I have tried this too many times, but to no avail.

My problem is the fact that the other zones cannot be simply neutralized and capped without any sort of assistance from the team. Launch one on this map, and 9/10 times, you lose it, they have it.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I really don't like how Ink Strikes on Splat Zones can both neutralize and cap the zone in one go on this map.

And by really dislike it, I mean it is really fuzzy bunny stupid and just poor design.
Never actually saw this. The dimensions of the splatzone probably help with that though.

Either way, there was probably just enough enemy ink already on it. I'll get back to you after more matches.

Also, from playing this map, I have a bad feeling about chargers. The tight corridors and the inability to aim directly downwards is a problem here for them. Makes it really hard to get a target, and they can easily swim into a position to kill you.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
So, I just got a few Ranked matches here, so here's some thoughts now that I've played in the Kelp Dome. (Splat Zones only)
INKOMING TEXTSTRIKE
I knew I'd love this map! It's always an intense fight for the center, it's like Walleye Warehouse except I don't loathe it (maybe it's because it's not as small).
The Splat Zone is in the center. There's only one, and it's rather large (I want to say the largest), but it's suprisingly defensible thanks to being mostly walled off, which forces you to either go around to the side entrances or take the (very difficult to defend yourself on) grate catwalks (that wall in the middle helps on the defensive too; yeah, you can ink up it to reach the other side, you still have to surmount it in some way to control the zone).
It's so easy to get to the Splat Zone! There's a lot of ways into the middle, so many that you probably can't cover all of them at once (so there will be fighting), but there's risk in any entrance (those side entrances are the most direct path, and I've snuck into an enemyy-controlled zone multiple times through them, but entrants from there can get flanked from the side on entry of from behind by a recent respawn OR rained down on by someone on fhe catwalks, taking the catwalks lets you get in more quickly and reach the center platform more easily, but you can't recover ink up there and you're getting splatted 90% of the time if you're spotted, those platforms that go up the side can be decent sniper nests since you can see like half the Zone from them, but you'll have to get down to shoot at the other half), which I like.
Chargers may have it pretty bad here, yeah. There aren't any great sniping points (those ledge thingies only let you see half the zone, the center platform is the best one since you can see the whole thing by turning but there's too many ways up to it for me to say it's a good place for snipers), and if they're going to be fighting on the ground they'll probably be at a disavantage against anyone with Ninja Squid or who just sneaks up on them.
Rollers, on the other hand, look like they'll have a great time here, since snipers aren't a problem and the elevated parts look better for flinging ink than sniping. Dynamo Rollers in particular should love that center platform, and the Krak-On's Squid Beakons make getting back to the Splat Zone quickly much easier. Even Inkbrushes should be good on this one, since it's so huge and getting around quickly looks like it'll be an asset (plus it leaves those useful ink trails).
Inkstrikes don't quite cap the zone on their own, but they generally make the holding team lose it for a second (more if your team's attacking at the same time). They're gonna be so good here.
This may be irrelevant, but it popped up in my head while I was typing so I'll put it here anyway:
I kept playing against this guy with a Custom Blaster who jumped a lot and splattered my team a lot (got me like 3-4 times each game). Made me think that Blasters are gonna be great here, especially considering the ease of splattering people up in the catwalks.
And here's another thing I just thought of: are Splash Walls a good thing to have here? I'm just asking because there's so many ways to the center that cutting one off doesn't seem like that big a deal, and they wouldn't appear to be of much use in firefights in the Zone. I could be wrong though.
So overall, it's a hectic battle to hold the center against enemies raining down ink from the catwalks, rushing you from the sides, sniping from those platforms on the edges of the square that surrounds the center, and the ever-present threat of an Inkstrike or two taking the zone from you, OR it's a hard fight to get INTO the center against foes in the zone shooting up into the catwalks or gunning straight for you when you walk in, and whoever's on the center platform's gonna be taking potshots at you from above, but an Inkstrike or two will make your life much easier and maybe pause the timer for a bit. I'm loving it!

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
And here's another thing I just thought of: are Splash Walls a good thing to have here? I'm just asking because there's so many ways to the center that cutting one off doesn't seem like that big a deal, and they wouldn't appear to be of much use in firefights in the Zone. I could be wrong though.
They're only good for blocking the snipers shots on the ledges, so toss them up there. I've also seen some snipers utilizing the crates on the catwalks to position themselves, but this leaves them in a very vulnerable position. Simply shoot at them from below and watch them jump off in panic and splat them from there since they can't hide on the catwalks.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
They're only good for blocking the snipers shots on the ledges, so toss them up there. I've also seen some snipers utilizing the crates on the catwalks to position themselves, but this leaves them in a very vulnerable position. Simply shoot at them from below and watch them jump off in panic and splat them from there since they can't hide on the catwalks.
Ah, thought so.
New question: I use the .52 Gal Deco, which works great here (shooting people on catwalks is so much easier when it's a 2-shot splat), and Inkstrikes are great too (they have control? Not for long), but I'm not sure how to use the Seekers. There aren't any long corridors to Seeker-ride through (WALLS) and I can just shoot people if they get close, so I'm not sure they're any good here.
Maybe I should switch to the Splattershot Pro when Kelp Dome's on the rotation. It still has Inkstrike and good firepower, so it wouldn't be too different (right?).

Forte

Inkster Jr.
Ohh my god. They've released this one? Holy crap. I loved this one on single player. LOTS of zigzagging and good for surprise attacks. I'll get this new stage when I get home.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Ah, thought so.
New question: I use the .52 Gal Deco, which works great here (shooting people on catwalks is so much easier when it's a 2-shot splat), and Inkstrikes are great too (they have control? Not for long), but I'm not sure how to use the Seekers. There aren't any long corridors to Seeker-ride through (WALLS) and I can just shoot people if they get close, so I'm not sure they're any good here.
Maybe I should switch to the Splattershot Pro when Kelp Dome's on the rotation. It still has Inkstrike and good firepower, so it wouldn't be too different (right?).
I would definitely recommend the Splattershot Pro over the .52 Gal Deco. You can see the Seekers coming a mile away and are easy to avoid, whereas the Splat bombs that come with the Splattershot Pro can be thrown wherever you need them to be(provided you can throw it well), which I think is necessary here since enemies can from any direction. It's fairly difficult to throw them onto the catwalks from an angle though, so just take advantage of the Pro's long range and shoot any attackers rather than waste a bomb.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Wow, yeah, Kelp Dome in Splat Zones is quite intense! The two elevations of the zone mean you can't simply ink the lower parts alone to take control of it. For that matter, I'd have to say that Rollers and quick shooters are pretty optimal in the setting. My first loss in a Splat Zone match was either because the other team knew well enough to defend their rollers or because the guy with the Inkbush on my team mucked around well away from the zone. Bad Inkbrush!

But yeah, this map is looking to be pretty slick.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I would definitely recommend the Splattershot Pro over the .52 Gal Deco. You can see the Seekers coming a mile away and are easy to avoid, whereas the Splat bombs that come with the Splattershot Pro can be thrown wherever you need them to be(provided you can throw it well), which I think is necessary here since enemies can from any direction. It's fairly difficult to throw them onto the catwalks from an angle though, so just take advantage of the Pro's long range and shoot any attackers rather than waste a bomb.
Ah, alright. Thanks for the advice.

Wow, yeah, Kelp Dome in Splat Zones is quite intense! The two elevations of the zone mean you can't simply ink the lower parts alone to take control of it. For that matter, I'd have to say that Rollers and quick shooters are pretty optimal in the setting. My first loss in a Splat Zone match was either because the other team knew well enough to defend their rollers or because the guy with the Inkbush on my team mucked around well away from the zone. Bad Inkbrush!

But yeah, this map is looking to be pretty slick.
Actually, you can just ink the part below that center platform to gain control (thoroughly, granted, but still). Keeping control, though, yeah, keeping the center your color is pretty important.
Also, your loss was probably on the Inkbrush turning it into a 3v4, though them keeping their rollers alive (were they regular or Dynamos? Jusr curious) probably didn't help you at all either.

Also, final question for now: Which roller is the best on this map? They've all got their benefits (better movement speed, Suction Bombs and Killer Wails for the regular Roller, same movement speed as the normal Roller with Beakon support and RELEASING THE KRAKEN for the Krak-On Roller, HUGESWINGS, Sprinkler area coverage and Echolocator on the Dynamo Roller, and HUGESWINGS, Splat Bombs and especially-useful-here Inkstrikes on the Gold Dynamo), but are any definitively the best here? I didn't include Inkbrush because I think it's too different to include with the rollers, but you can count it for this too if you want.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
My First Impressions on Kelp Dome

Kelp Dome definitely doesn't play like any if the other maps, ESPECIALLY since there is more emphasis on the outside of the map more than the inside. You really gotta know how to lay the ink down in Turf War as well as have the "divide and conquer" mindset. I rushed and controlled mid the first time I played (like I usually do) and needless to say, it didn't pay off since the whole outside was covered in enemy ink. (Then they took mid, leaving my team screwed).

Those grates though... I love them to death. They're useful for spreading ink as well as staying on the move but also very risky since someone can get you from underneath. It's... exciting. XD

I see a major issue with chargers on this map. There are a lot if sight breakers which isn't exactly great for those with chargers. With a lack of sightlines, there aren't a lot of places where chargers can be effective in Turf War. In Splat Zones, that's a whole different story.

Last edited:

2xDair

Full Squid
NNID
Elecrogelion
I must say, I'm really enjoying this map so far! It might have something to do with me using chargers almost exclusively. It feels very different from all the other maps so far; besides the catwalks, the boxlike nature of the map tends to encourage frequent attacks on the enemy base. The aesthetics are also different compared to other maps, as this seems to be designed like a true arena compared with the other, narrower maps (I suppose that Blackbelly Skatepark would be the one exception, but that map is garbage). Nice to see a bit of foliage in the background of the map.

I would say this is one of, if not THE best maps for chargers currently, as it's simple to get the jump on opponents from the catwalks. Can't wait for Camp Triggerfish and Bluefin Depot to be released next and to see what kind of play they lend themselves to!

Oatmeal

Inkling
NNID
corewii
The upper paths are very interesting. Grid bridges that you can shoot through and squid through, and leads to other parts of the map. It isn't reliable at all, but seems good for surprise attacks from above (sometimes). So crossing them is a suicide mission, but leads to a central island in the middle of the map.

Also, the map is a mini maze, with corners and paths everywhere.

In theory seems like a nice setup, but haven't played enough right now for a true opinion on it. But is a cool and different map.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I played some rounds of Turf War on this map yesterday. As with any new stage I had to learn the layout and how to get around first, which was a pain. But once I got it memorized, I really started to like the map. It's bigger than I thought and offers huge areas of battleground which is awesome with my Splattershot Pro. Thanks to it's range I can get around fairly quickly and am a serious threat to anyone on the grates. Didn't try the Jet Squelcher yet.
Ninja Squid is key here, too. Got spotted and someone is after you? Just swim a little bit away and start a counter-attack. For chargers this map is hell. I splatted some chargers in the most hilarious way while they were trying to fight on the even ground.

I'm looking forward to playing this in Splat Zones.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
IIRC someone in here said that they were annoyed or had an issue with the splat zone that inkstrike could neutralize and cap it at the same go and had never seen it on another map, I have bad news, it's possible to do on walleye as well. Played a game where that happened a few times

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
IIRC someone in here said that they were annoyed or had an issue with the splat zone that inkstrike could neutralize and cap it at the same go and had never seen it on another map, I have bad news, it's possible to do on walleye as well. Played a game where that happened a few times
The Mall level is like that too, at least I think it is.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
The Vietnam of the maps: It's hot, humid, full of plantlife, and the large size allows for ambushes to come from literally anywhere.
Except there are no Vietnamese people or punji sticks, sadly.
It's pretty alright, doesn't really affect the Custom Blaster as far as I see (except those those boxes that people hide behind right after the ramp closest to the spawn allow me to do a lot of splash damage to them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom