• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Kelp Dome: Analysis and Thoughts

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
After playing a ton more matches, I've concluded that Inkstrike does not just cap all by itself. There has to already be a fair amount of ink on the zone, like a full quadrant under the pillar. In fact if there's no ink at all, the strike won't even neutralize the zone.

I think the reason Inkstrikes seem so powerful here is because the zone has two layers, and it's relatively harder to ink the high ground while they're controlling it. You can get a fair amount of ink on the bottom but that's not enough, until the strike takes the top for you.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So, anyone else who feels chargers just don't work on this map? It's just way too cramped in the main area, and their are plenty of spaces to hide in. At least in places like Walleye, it was generally more open, allowing for less time for the enemy to hide. It is very easy to hide in this map. You have to be right on the money with the charger here.

MagnaX7

Full Squid
NNID
MagnaX7
I said it once, and will say it again: Krak-on is useless if this is in Turf War rotation. There are no places where beakons are safe and the Kraken does nothing on the catwalks. The normal Roller seems better for this map.

Strangely, the map fits the Splash-o-matic very well, as Suction Bombs can be usefull on the catwalks and the Bomb Rush has great reach in the middle.

Also, try distracting enemies at their spawn, as it gives more room for your team while they are occupied.

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
I haven't seen that happen before, then again i hate splatzone on the mall and rarely queue up for ranked when its part of the time slot's ranked maps
Enemy team can be clever sometimes, climbing up the wall on the splat zone, letting your team capture it to make it look safe to press forward, but right before you do, WHAM, splatted from behind.

Snipers have it rough on that level.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
What with all the people that think is a bad map to play charger at ; that actually the second best map to play charger after arowana mall for me... At ranked match at least; Don't underestimate the multiple small cube in top of the Wire netting ; they are actually good hiding slot when sniping, Additionnally ; anyone walking around that Wire netting are easy target to snipe.

IvanQuote

Inkling
Haven't played splat zone here, but in turf war (with kelp splat charger) I found that walk ways were decent at sniping people from and spreading ink...until I run out of ink. At that point I'm either a sitting duck running across the walk way or I drop down below and get pegged.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Maps at this size don't seem to be as fun as the other, smaller maps.
this
Probably because there is a lot less action in general, and if you get bad players, then everyone is just shooting the floor the entire time, not getting any kills.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ok, so after playing more, the Squiffers seem really useful on this map. I personally prefer the New Squiffer. The short charge is much better for this more closed space map. The ink mines can be hidden decently well and in areas that could put opponents in unfavorable positions. Like, for example, having an ink mine near the center platform of the ground level, and tripping it will have to make the opponent move out in the open. The inkzooka is a game changer with it's range and ink spreading capabilities. It can even go over the center platform without the huge warning of an inkstrike.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
This actually has to be one of my favorite Splat Zones maps. So many approach options, the grating makes things chaotic, big outside areas to fill up your special, etc

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Personally my favorite map. Nice design, the grates provide a sense of risk/reward, and the open spaces prevent bunching up and encourage smaller duels.

Thunder

Inkling
NNID
ThunderousPowerX
good for turf war, very good, mainly because of the wide open spaces to ink and it can give a lot of flexibility to even the worst of weapons.

bad for ranked, your compacted in such a small mid point that it makes it very hectic to cap it. still not too awful though, lots of potential, just tweak it up a bit.

it's also a lot like Arowana Mall, but that's for a different thread.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
good for turf war, very good, mainly because of the wide open spaces to ink and it can give a lot of flexibility to even the worst of weapons.

bad for ranked, your compacted in such a small mid point that it makes it very hectic to cap it. still not too awful though, lots of potential, just tweak it up a bit.

it's also a lot like Arowana Mall, but that's for a different thread.
The midpoint isn't very small at all though? And there's a lot of flanks offered to turn the tides. How is it like Arowana Mall at all?

Thunder

Inkling
NNID
ThunderousPowerX
The midpoint isn't very small at all though? And there's a lot of flanks offered to turn the tides. How is it like Arowana Mall at all?
How's it not like arowana mall? It's a huge map, and both maps have plenty of places to turf, very similar don't you think? Also chargers are good on both maps.

Also the most viable target for midpoint is up on top, and that's cramped together

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
How's it not like arowana mall? It's a huge map, and both maps have plenty of places to turf, very similar don't you think? Also chargers are good on both maps.

Also the most viable target for midpoint is up on top, and that's cramped together
So is Blackbelly Skatepark's tower.

In Arowana Mall you HAVE to get through the center in order to make further progress, which results in severe bottlenecks that chargers take
great advantage of. There also isn't that much to ink. It's a long map certainly, but the lack of safe flanking routes often limits the amount of turf you can ink.

In Kelp Dome you can completely ignore the center to go ink the enemy base if you're so inclined or to take an unexpected flank route. Because there's
so many paths to choose from it's very hard for chargers to maintain good positions, and it doesn't help that there are very few good, safe locations for sniping.
Grates can be shot through easily and most platforms don't provide good lines of sight. Of course they can still do well here with proper support from teammates
but you still need to be adaptable and pay attention to the situation.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
I really like this map with the the .96 Gal, though really any long ranged weapon should work (I normally use the Deco more often than the normal variant).

At the start of the match, if no-one on the enemy team outranges me, then I immediately ink and move towards the ramp to the right of the spawn that goes to the catwalk. If I'm fast enough I can quickly splat any enemy that's also on the catwalk and camp that area really hard. I have to be stingy with ink while I'm up there, but I can 2 shot enemies that try to move up their ramp or through their really tight chokepoint. I definitely can't use any sub weapons while I'm doing this (though I don't think I need the Splash Wall nor the Sprinkler here). Even Chargers will have difficulty fighting me since I'm more likely to splat them before they can charge their shot enough to kill me.

I can't pull this off against Jet Squelchers though. Once they know what's up, they can snipe me and pull back before I can get to them. I can put up a Splash Wall but once I do I'm basically out of ink, so they've succeeded either way.

Basically the catwalk game on Kelp Dome is just really cool. There are certain circumstances in which I don't want to be up on the catwalks though. I don't like it if I'm walking above enemy ink or if I know that someone on the enemy outranges me. If I've got a very short range weapon, then basically everyone outranges me and I will rely on swim speed and hiding in order to get around. It seems like a very bad idea to ever get on the catwalk if you're using a Brush or a Non-Dynamo roller.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
So I found an unintended way to jump over a fence on this map:

You can pull this off more cleanly than I do in the video (by not having to flounder about on the fence). Either way, though, I honestly don't think it's worth the time and effort required, but I thought I'd share it with you guys anyway.

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
So I found an unintended way to jump over a fence on this map:

You can pull this off more cleanly than I do in the video (by not having to flounder about on the fence). Either way, though, I honestly don't think it's worth the time and effort required, but I thought I'd share it with you guys anyway.
This is AWESOME!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom