• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Krak-On Splat Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

TheBuzzSaw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheBuzzSaw
I find the kraken to be a bit too situational
You're joking, right? How is it situational? Basically, any opponent shows up (regardless of what weapon they are using), and you are now in "the situation". Fly forward and splat them! Climb walls! Annihilate all!

Freduardo

Inkling
NNID
Freduard
The best thing about this weapon to me isn't even the kraken, but the beacon. I find the kraken to be a bit too situational
You must do something with the beacon I do not. If it's not too troublesome, may I ask you to elaborate? I'd love to have better tactics with the weapon.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You're joking, right? How is it situational? Basically, any opponent shows up (regardless of what weapon they are using), and you are now in "the situation". Fly forward and splat them! Climb walls! Annihilate all!
It doesn't last long enough. Imo there are much better specials.

Flamjam

Inkling
NNID
Flamjam
I see the kraken as a bubble that can’t be shared with teammates, can kill those it touches to get out of tricky situations and can travel quickly across enemy ink, allowing you to get a good foothold of optimal positions. There’s plenty of situations. and with equipment to boost the duration of it definitely helps a bunch.

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
Been mostly using the Krak-On myself. The lack of a ranged sub is tough to get used to, until you start thinking of the roller as a shotgun more than a melee weapon.

The Ink toss is fairly low range while on the ground (especially when compared to the dynamo), however if you initiate an attack out of squid mode and then jump right after, you toss the ink out at the apex of your jump. You can push the range pretty far with this, splatting most Inklings in about 2 tosses. I've been running Ink Resistance shoes to get in and out of peoples faces quickly. Also it doesn't hurt that sometimes you just run over people on accident.

The Kraken itself is versatile as well. Charging at 180 points (or less) means that you should have it early and often. Pop it when you get overwhelmed defensively, or if you need to remove an Inkling quickly. Chasing people for more than a second or two is generally a bad idea, since they can usually out-maneuver you. If all else fails, use it to lay some ink in a key location for teammate to abuse, or sneak past an enemy choke point.

The beacon is strong in theory, however it does use most of your ink, meaning if you are highly mobile, it will slow you down a bit. Also the fact that competent opponents will either destroy it or keep an eye on it to snag a quick kill. Fairly useful in Splat Zones, pretty situational in Turf War.

In conclusion, it is a strong option in the right hands. It does get out classed by most weapons in a vacuum, but balancing aggressiveness and fleeing is key to pushing its limits. In Turf War I can usually end a match with the moist points and splats, or at the very least be obnoxious and distract the other team. In Splat Zones I do a little worse, since the high grouping of Inklings leads for more opportunities to get surrounded and lose an escape route. Also covering small squares is slower with the roller than with most shooters, as compared to covering large amounts of ground thoroughly.

sunfallSeraph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunfallSeraph
I've been rolling with the Krak-on for most of my time online, and I love playing a more defensive/passive-aggressive style with it. My first move in every match is to make a beeline for my team's sniper nest/safest position near the choke point and lay a beacon. Then if it's safe, I'll paint a little of the choke; if it isn't, I'll fling a little ink to be a nuisance then back off. If my team doesn't gain a very rapid advantage, I'll typically backtrack to finish painting our base. By that time I'll always have Kraken, so I'll jump back to the front-lines and pop a couple enemies to give the team some momentum. During mid-game I'll usually try to sneak around the main conflict and get into the enemy's sniper nest to lay another beacon for a little positional advantage. My endgame strat depends on how we're doing; if someone broke through our defenses, I'll jump back to base and try to retake our turf. If my team is containing the enemy well, I'll slip by and make a last-second play for point denial; even if my damage is undone, I at least wasted someone's time when they could've been doing the same. I've had pretty decent luck with this playstyle, and I think the best thing about playing this set is that I feel like I have something to contribute in every situation (except maybe getting spawn camped, that kinda shuts this set down in my experience).

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I think the current exclusivity of squid beacons on this roller is a greater explanation for the widespread use of this roller than the kraken
(which is shared by custom jet squelcher), even if it is also quite good.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I think the beacon is one of the better subs in the game. It in combination with stealth jump, make for a very lethal combination. I will be making a video for this, and lots of other splatoon like things; the meta expands.
You don't even need Stealth Jump for that. Jumping to Squid Beakons doesn't show the super-jump circle, so you can drop in unannounced (especially good when someone destroys itafter you jump and starts leaving just as you land; free splat if they don't notice, and sometimes you'll get it anyway if they do).

So, the Krak-On Splat Roller.
As far as rollers go, it's my favorite to use. It's got a lot of things that I like; power (duh, roller), good turf coverage (again, roller), easy retreats (it leaves a fairly wide ink trail behind you, so unless that's where the attack's coming from...), team support (Squid Beakons; I cry inside a little when a Krak-On doesn't drop any during a match), and of course the Kraken (it's kinda fast (does it get faster with Swim Speed Ups? I feel like it should), it's invincible, it insta-splats with the drill jump, it's invincible, it makes its own ink trail while swimming so it's like swimming in your own ink all the time and you can fly up walls for quick escapes, and also it's invincible, which is nice).
I love it. Not as much as the .52 Gal Deco, but it's my go-to secondary weapon.

TheBuzzSaw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheBuzzSaw
It took me a while, but I have a pretty good thing goin' in ranked with this roller. I don't think it's a good idea to have more than one roller on a team, but it is a great way to clear out multiple opponents if combat heats up.

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
You don't even need Stealth Jump for that. Jumping to Squid Beakons doesn't show the super-jump circle, so you can drop in unannounced (especially good when someone destroys itafter you jump and starts leaving just as you land; free splat if they don't notice, and sometimes you'll get it anyway if they do).

So, the Krak-On Splat Roller.
As far as rollers go, it's my favorite to use. It's got a lot of things that I like; power (duh, roller), good turf coverage (again, roller), easy retreats (it leaves a fairly wide ink trail behind you, so unless that's where the attack's coming from...), team support (Squid Beakons; I cry inside a little when a Krak-On doesn't drop any during a match), and of course the Kraken (it's kinda fast (does it get faster with Swim Speed Ups? I feel like it should), it's invincible, it insta-splats with the drill jump, it's invincible, it makes its own ink trail while swimming so it's like swimming in your own ink all the time and you can fly up walls for quick escapes, and also it's invincible, which is nice).
I love it. Not as much as the .52 Gal Deco, but it's my go-to secondary weapon.
Kraken Speed

The Kraken does get affected by swim speed, and looks like you go the same speed as your regular squid, you just get larger.

I agree with lots of your points as well. Finding a safe spot to drop 2+ beacons can give you an edge in Splat Zones (you can drop them pretty fast if you have decent ink recovery). Also try to drop them in different spots if you can, so if the enemy sees them on the map and removes them, you still have a backup option.

I find I use the Kraken for saving myself from dying or gaining ground safely more than just using it to get a quick kill. Also if you increased special fill, you can get quite a few of these each match. Also if you keep the 6 second duration in mind you can usually time your roller to get the splat on somebody who was outrunning the Kraken.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Kraken Speed

The Kraken does get affected by swim speed, and looks like you go the same speed as your regular squid, you just get larger.
Awesome! I thought this might be the case (I felt weirdly slow when I released the Kraken with Ninja Squid on), but it's good to know. Off to put on some Swim Speed Ups!

I agree with lots of your points as well. Finding a safe spot to drop 2+ beacons can give you an edge in Splat Zones (you can drop them pretty fast if you have decent ink recovery). Also try to drop them in different spots if you can, so if the enemy sees them on the map and removes them, you still have a backup option.
True, true. I've seen both ends of this (just had a Saltspray match last time I was on, having the Beakons on that top area was really helpful).
If you see Beakons in your area on Splat Zones, should you break them immediately, or just leave them alone and just be more alert and check behind you more often? I'm just asking because I had a Ranked match on Blackbelly where the Krak-On Roller put a few in our area and splatted me every time I went to them; I think maybe it would've been more useful to go directly for the Splat Zones, but that might just be because of the total failure to deal with them.

I find I use the Kraken for saving myself from dying or gaining ground safely more than just using it to get a quick kill. Also if you increased special fill, you can get quite a few of these each match. Also if you keep the 6 second duration in mind you can usually time your roller to get the splat on somebody who was outrunning the Kraken.
I do that too! Except for dealing with people who outrun the Kraken, that's never happened to me (either they don't dodge effectively and I splat them immediately or they do dodge and I just go off to another part of the map to support elsewhere, maybe drop a Beakon).

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
They are extremely predictable and easy kill fodder in both turf wars and splat zones.

Rollers in general have giant frontal cones that can't be flanked like 80% of the time, so a good hide-and-go-seek roller protecting corridors and cleaning up when the enemy is down is alright, but most of the time they don't really contribute enough to warrant being on a team when Aerospray and other rapid fire guns exist

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
True, true. I've seen both ends of this (just had a Saltspray match last time I was on, having the Beakons on that top area was really helpful).
If you see Beakons in your area on Splat Zones, should you break them immediately, or just leave them alone and just be more alert and check behind you more often? I'm just asking because I had a Ranked match on Blackbelly where the Krak-On Roller put a few in our area and splatted me every time I went to them; I think maybe it would've been more useful to go directly for the Splat Zones, but that might just be because of the total failure to deal with them.
I don't think there is a clear cut answer for this. It's more of a threat assessment problem. If only 1-2 Inklings are jumping to the beacon at a time, and aren't threatening the zones that much I'd wait until you have a safe opportunity. If it is more the case of: 2 get splatted while the other 2 are still active, and then the 2 splatted show up before you can finish them off, then it is probably worth it to try and sneak around and break the beacon.

As with anything in Splat Zones right now, there is a big risk without team communication. If you are defending/retaking the Zones all match, don't abandon that post until you are sure somebody else can cover you. If somebody else has been trying to infiltrate/disrupt their base and failing, I'd say it is best to stick to your role, instead of multiple people attempting it at once.

I've seen teams with good beacon use (playing for or playing against) win games incredibly quickly. In which case you might not have time to destroy their beacons and take back the zone. In that situation I'd recommend noting where the beacons are, and assume Inkings are lingering around those spots(chargers) or using that path as their entrance into the contested zones.

They are extremely predictable and easy kill fodder in both turf wars and splat zones.

Rollers in general have giant frontal cones that can't be flanked like 80% of the time, so a good hide-and-go-seek roller protecting corridors and cleaning up when the enemy is down is alright, but most of the time they don't really contribute enough to warrant being on a team when Aerospray and other rapid fire guns exist
I'd have to disagree with most of this, however you do have some valid concerns.

Rollers trying to go head to head with a charger/shooter is most likely a suicide mission, even if you get the splat, you will often get splatted yourself. I think their combat strength lies in a more open battlefield. Using Stealth Swim to approach, you can usually flank an opponent, and even if you don't get the 1-shot fling, you can use the massive amount of ink you just layed to keep the pressure on. Cutting off a shooter's ability to retreat is so handy, and happens quite often if you jump when flinging.

The spread of the roller is wide and quite silly. You can swim under the fling before the roller is placed on the ground and even jump the roller itself. Using the width properly is great for crowd control however. I often get more than 1 splat in a single fling.

Getting flanked seems to only be an issue if you are being overly aggressive. Committing to an inking for too long is often a mistake. Make an attempt for the splat, and if they retreat, go into squid and reassess the situation. Charging headstrong at somebody gives them easy opportunities for them or somebody else to catch you off guard and outranged.

Also being hide-and-seek protector or playing support in the form of establishing ground for movement is key to a roller. If you plan on focusing purely on combat and confirming every splat, you are better off with another weapon.

Hard to say whether or not a roller deserves a spot over a Aerospray, etc. Since SMGs can cover the same or more ground, and have good loadouts as well. Also taking note of movement options like ink dashing. I'd say right now their greatest asset is the crowd control potential, with the roller itself or the Kraken. Pushing the other team back to help the rest of your team take a zone can help in a sticky situation. Also having access to beacons can give them an unique edge.

As for Turf Wars, I'd say that you have to learn to put in your required work. Stick the the narrow corridors and side paths, since you get full coverage. Open spaces will be covered faster by the SMGs. Also know when it is and isn't a good time to cover ground. Spending all match at your spawn covering every little clean spot is silly, but so is trotting through the enemy base after 1 minute, Try and Ink ground you can keep your color instead of Inking ground and losing it 10 seconds later. Having a roller with a high end score doesn't necessarily mean that they contributed the most.

It's still hard to call until organised teams become a thing, but for right now, smart rollers have earned their spot in either mode.

GreyIsSquidNow

Inkling
NNID
Greymanz
I use the wind up attack quite often on this one. Pair it up with a Damage up and it's almost an insta kill. I spam it in combat and I basically tank through enemy ink.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Remember that the beacons can only be used for one jump each. They break when the Inkling lands on them. :(

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Talking about beacons? I actually don't usually get Krak-on Rollers on my team. The times I did, they weren't doing the best they could with it. But yeah, I've seen it on the enemies team. Very effective for ambushes or taking getting straight back where you were killed. More effective on bigger maps then smaller maps of course.

GreyIsSquidNow

Inkling
NNID
Greymanz
Beacons are good in SplatZones for being the "Anchor" or player meant to be a walking spawnpoint. Place them in corners, keep an eye on them and battle!

EvilMario

Inkling
NNID
EvilMario
When I place my beacons other players seldom end up using them in either game mode. I usually end up jumping back to it myself and laying another one down.

The Kraken itself I usually use as a safety blanket. I hold it until I'm forced to pop, or if the enemies have started to bunch together, I might just go for it. I pump up special gauge fill, so by the time I reach the middle of a map in Splat, I have a Kraken at the ready.

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
I main the Kraken Roller and I personally find the squid beacons to be borderline useless and one of the worst sub weapons in the entire game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom