• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

L-3 Nozzlenose discussion

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Was poking at it earlier, it takes 8 frames to shoot 3 bullets (as per the mTripleShotSpan parameter), ones at 0, 4, and 8 (since it's fire rate is 4 frames). It's actually just as fast as the Aerosprays, if you use it frame perfectly :p Also, Disruptors are OP and underrated, they're actually one of the best subs this weapon could have. Killer Wail does wonders for Tower Control too.
There's nothing like throwing one at a roller user and suddenly hit them with the crippling reality of their range issues. L-3 Nozzlenose has the range
to easily take those affected opponents easily and with little risk.

Anybody who complains about their fingers hurting from mashing needs to realize that you only need to push the button in a rhythm to get a constant stream
of shots instead of mashing it like the inkbrush.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I feel like I'm the only one who still uses this weapon. This and the Splattershot jr. have to be the most forgotten weapons in the game.
Nah, other people still use this. I do, when I'm not trying out new weapons or using the N-Zap '89. And Splattershot Jr. is hardly forgotten, I see plenty of them online.
Unless you mean the Custom Splattershot Jr. That has been thoroughly forgotten.

I've had quite a turnaround of thought (did that make sense?) on the Nozzlenose. It's actually quite good, like a Blaster except different (in my opinion, anyway). It's easier to cover turf and get around with this (relative to the Blaster) since it recovers from firing so quickly (is it really 8 frames? Because holy s***), and the relative lack of power is compensated for by the speed. And on top of that, it has pretty good range. Its loadout fuels the Blaster comparison, since it's the same, and the Nozzlenose benefits in similar ways. Disruptors let you slow opponents so you can more easily hit them, which is arguably bigger for Blasters (1-shot weapons in general benefit heavily from Disruptors, so I'm not surprised the regular Blaster's the only weapon of its kind with it), but the Nozzlenose's superfast fire rate makes it a great candidate for this as well. Both benefit equally from Killer Wail's long range and through-cover attack, though the L3 arguably needs it more for bunker-busting (since it can't do 1-shots like the Blaster can).
Actually, I take back what I said about this being a better Blaster (well, not entirely). Between the very rapid burst-fire, the ability to shoot off bursts very quickly, the respectable-but-not-great power, the good range and the good turf covering ability (am I the only one who feels this way about the L3?), the L3 Nozzlenose is what the Rapid Blaster wishes it were.

Also, Disruptors are OP and underrated, they're actually one of the best subs this weapon could have. Killer Wail does wonders for Tower Control too.
Of course Disruptors are underrated, they're on so few weapons, and not without reason; it really is overpowered, the ability to slow enemies in a game with such high damage is insanely good. If this got on, say, a Roller, that would be the terror (especially a Dynamo Roller).
And personally I've always wanted it on a Squiffer-esque Charger, just to see if it would be good.

TenZa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TenZaBlade
A lot of people don't realize that being semi-auto isn't a "flaw" of this weapon but rather it puts it in a unique position: MOVEMENT. This is one of the best "jumpshot" weapons because you aren't locked into a firing animation; 1 tap of ZR and now you're free to hide in ink, jump, move, or fire again. I've seen a blaster player with 3 Run Speed Ups mained and it looked like he was cheating with how easily he was able to flank, escape situations, or move into an advantageous position, so I can only imagine it would be the same for this gun. I'm gonna give the build a try at some point

LemonPlaid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Exo-Josh
Yea this gun is pretty good purely for mobility. Might be highish-mid tier even despite low killing power because of its unique movement enhancements. Pretty sure it's got the highest movement speed out of/during fire. Currently main the .52 gal because of easy kill power and I love the splash wall, but I plan on switching to this gun soon.

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
Nah, other people still use this. I do, when I'm not trying out new weapons or using the N-Zap '89. And Splattershot Jr. is hardly forgotten, I see plenty of them online.
Unless you mean the Custom Splattershot Jr. That has been thoroughly forgotten.

I've had quite a turnaround of thought (did that make sense?) on the Nozzlenose. It's actually quite good, like a Blaster except different (in my opinion, anyway). It's easier to cover turf and get around with this (relative to the Blaster) since it recovers from firing so quickly (is it really 8 frames? Because holy s***), and the relative lack of power is compensated for by the speed. And on top of that, it has pretty good range. Its loadout fuels the Blaster comparison, since it's the same, and the Nozzlenose benefits in similar ways. Disruptors let you slow opponents so you can more easily hit them, which is arguably bigger for Blasters (1-shot weapons in general benefit heavily from Disruptors, so I'm not surprised the regular Blaster's the only weapon of its kind with it), but the Nozzlenose's superfast fire rate makes it a great candidate for this as well. Both benefit equally from Killer Wail's long range and through-cover attack, though the L3 arguably needs it more for bunker-busting (since it can't do 1-shots like the Blaster can).
Actually, I take back what I said about this being a better Blaster (well, not entirely). Between the very rapid burst-fire, the ability to shoot off bursts very quickly, the respectable-but-not-great power, the good range and the good turf covering ability (am I the only one who feels this way about the L3?), the L3 Nozzlenose is what the Rapid Blaster wishes it were.

Of course Disruptors are underrated, they're on so few weapons, and not without reason; it really is overpowered, the ability to slow enemies in a game with such high damage is insanely good. If this got on, say, a Roller, that would be the terror (especially a Dynamo Roller).
And personally I've always wanted it on a Squiffer-esque Charger, just to see if it would be good.
Ya, I meant the custom Splattershot jr. Also I'm not feeling the H-3 Nozzlenose. From what I can tell from the stats, The fire rate is way too low. The fire rate is lower than the .52 gal. .52 gal being 32 and H-3 Nozzlenose being 30. The Splattershot Pro has the same damage stat and has better range and fire rate. Can the mobility of 3 round burst make up for these stats?

TenZa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TenZaBlade
Ya, I meant the custom Splattershot jr. Also I'm not feeling the H-3 Nozzlenose. From what I can tell from the stats, The fire rate is way too low. The fire rate is lower than the .52 gal. .52 gal being 32 and H-3 Nozzlenose being 30. The Splattershot Pro has the same damage stat and has better range and fire rate. Can the mobility of 3 round burst make up for these stats?
Well Splattershot Pro also has TERRIBLE Ink efficiency whereas the Nozzlenose can be used a really long time before having to recharge

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
Well Splattershot Pro also has TERRIBLE Ink efficiency whereas the Nozzlenose can be used a really long time before having to recharge
You're right. Splattershot Pro has ink efficiency worse than .96 gal. However, I don't think that will compensate for having 2 stats worse and 1 stat same when compared to Splattershot Pro.

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
I'm curious, do you fellow Nozzlenose mains use run speed up on your gear? For the main abilities I have run speed up, cold-blooded, and swim speed up.

I'm a Jenius!

Inkling
NNID
Pyitoechito
I fell in love with the look of this weapon and it has since become one of my favorites. The thing about firing this weapon is that you don't want to go at it with the Inkbrush mindset. Spamming ZR will lead to a sore wrist and poor aim. This weapon has a rhythm that you need to learn to get the best firing speed out of it. The optimal way to fire is to hold down the trigger (not tap) until the next "beat" where you will quickly release and repress the trigger.

While it does consume more ink on average, I find its ink spreading rate to be above the average. The disruptor (which I also love) compliments this weapon quite well and is a great team-support tool. Use the disruptor before entering a fight and you'll already have the upper-hand. The Killer Wail is also a great tool (especially in ranked). Disrupted enemies are prime targets for this special.

As for gear abilites, I currently just run with the basics. Ink Saver (Main and Sub) along with Ink Recovery Up. I feel the Ink Saver (Main) is a good pick due to above average consumtion rate on this weapon. Making straight lines of ink is quite easy with this weapon, so Swim Speed Up is also a viable choice.
One thing I found particularly interesting about the Nozzlenose is that since you spend minimal time slowed due to gun fire, movement speed abilities are AWESOME. With 2 mains and 1 sub, I was zooming around the map just as fast as swimming, with minimal slowing down.
I never considered trying this, I'll have to test it out myself.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You're right. Splattershot Pro has ink efficiency worse than .96 gal. However, I don't think that will compensate for having 2 stats worse and 1 stat same when compared to Splattershot Pro.
I thought that the .96 Gal had the worst ink efficiency of the shooters (Blasters aside) as it had the highest damage alongside the second-to-longest range. It might seem better due to the slower rate of fire, but I'll have to check it out :ability_inksavermain:

Wingman

Inkling
NNID
TheTrueWingman
I saw this thread the other day, and it convinced me to at least give the Nozzlenoze another try. It's better than I initially thought, but it suffers from some major drawbacks.

I've used similar weapons in other shooters before, and I've used a weapon with a very similar concept in Dust 514 to great effect for a couple years now. It has decent range, good ammo efficiency, and excellent stopping power, but not quite enough to be a good solo slayer. Honestly, the thing that really brings the Nozzlenoze down isn't any of the stats in particular, instead, I feel like it's the mechanics of Splatoon itself that really don't fit the weapon very well. When you're dealing with a semi-auto burst weapon, you want your shots to hit quickly and consistently, but that isn't easy in a shooter where ALL the weapons are projectiles, rather than hitscan. In almost every other shooter, a weapon like the Nozzlenoze's projectiles hit the entire length of the bullets trajectory instantly, usually stopping when it hits something. Splatoon weapons aren't like that, and each projectile has an arc and a travel time, and that hurts a semi-auto weapon immensely. You want to be able to track a target and tap the fire button 2-3 times to drop them with little wasted ammo, but arcing projectiles make it much more unreliable for semi-auto weapons than automatic.

Unfortunately, that creates a much more difficult line to tread in terms of balance, because it requires the weapon to have higher stats than others in order to perform reliably better. That's a difficult balance to find. Doing so would undoubtedly created all kinds of balance issues throughout the process, and there's no saying if they would ever even manage to find that balance.

Hitscan, as I understand there may be a number of people here who aren't as familiar with FPS jargon.

Bobo

Full Squid
NNID
acciojackie
Everyone who's like nah to this gun hasn't really understood the gun! It's one of my favorites actually - at first, I absolutely hated the semi automatic firing and switched out, not expecting to use it ever again. But then I learned about disruptors and how underrated they are since almost no one uses them. You need to first learn how to use disruptors properly and then the rest is easy! The range helps out so much and disruptors make everything better. It's one of my favorite weapons now.

florence

Full Squid
i love the nozzlenose so much! having to repeatedly press the trigger doesn't bother me, i'm used to playing shooters with weapons like that anyway. i feel like it's really good at splatting enemies, with decent range.

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
It's a shame how underrated this weapon is. It just decimates anything you outrange because of how mobile you are. If they approach, just walk back and shoot. If they try to get away, you can throw a disruptor and approach them as you shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom