• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Lag tears this game apart.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I've never experienced particularly game-breaking lag myself. Try improving your own, since Splatoon runs on a peer-to-peer system, which means if someone has a worse ping than the rest of the lobby, lag can happen.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
I've never experienced particularly game-breaking lag myself. Try improving your own, since Splatoon runs on a peer-to-peer system, which means if someone has a worse ping than the rest of the lobby, lag can happen.
I have a wired FiOS connection with 50 download and 50 upload.

DWK

Inkling
NNID
danceswithkoopas
Lag spoils every online shooter. Splatoon isn't helped by Nintendo's refusal to introduce regional lobbies. Imagine being forced to play Call of Duty against people on the other side of the planet all the time.

If not regional matchmaking, it should at least have a ping metre to let you know when you're wasting your time and effort.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
What
Lag spoils every online shooter. Splatoon isn't helped by Nintendo's refusal to introduce regional lobbies. Imagine being forced to play Call of Duty against people on the other side of the planet all the time.

If not regional matchmaking, it should at least have a ping metre to let you know when you're wasting your time and effort.
What if Splatoon had a server browser like PC games? That would be amazing.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Lag only bothers me when i see enemies swimming through my own ink, that's really annoying.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Funny because I've never encountered lag before. Guess it's because my internet is super fast. Maybe it's on your end or someone else's?

Nintendo, why no regional lobbies?

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
I been have some really weird lag lately. People zipping right place me and splatting me, I hit person with gal four time but they can kill me with two hits, the list go on.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
To be honest, the most lag I get is generally either on my own fault, or during Splatfests, which are nothing but regional matchmaking. So I don't get it, really.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I considered the lag could be on my end, but I play Smash 3DS/Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Heroes of the Storm and I used to play Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2, with pretty much no lag. Sometimes I get laggy matches on Smash, but only really in Free For All (4 player matches), but those are rare.

So I don't know. I know my internet isn't the best, but if it was really that bad I would experience lag in prett much every online game, which isn't the case. Oh well... On the bright side, I don't get stuff like "the connection is unstable" and disconnects like I frequently got in the testfire demo.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I feel you. My internet isn't that bad, but it's bad enough to where if I splat someone I can still see some of their bullets coming at me afterwards. And also sometimes it'll take a bit for their splat icon to come up. Definitely not game breaking but still annoying. Oh, and let's not forget people can see me for about a second before I see them. I hated that on Call of Duty.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
On the bright side, I don't get stuff like "the connection is unstable" and disconnects like I frequently got in the testfire demo.
I'd never get "the connection is unstable" thing either. Still get goddamn connection errors, though. -__-

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd never get "the connection is unstable" thing either. Still get goddamn connection errors, though. -__-
See, I used to get the "the connection is unstable" right before connection errors. It was like if the game telling me I would be disconnected in advance :P

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I upgraded my internet a few months ago and most of the lag is gone aside from a few hiccups here and there, mostly with the Tower herkin' and jerkin' around or a very occasional Magic E-Liter Around the Corner Kill. I've had maybe two disconnects in the last two months since I upgraded and added a wired connection.

How the OP is still getting lag problems with his 50/50 connection is mystifying, though, since I have Canadian internet (it's run through wires made of beaver pelts and hope, you know) and have been doing pretty well on the lag front.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I rarely see it, even against Japanese players. Which is good, because it's pretty much just them during the time when I'm online.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Nope, I don't see lag often either, and I play from Chile with a wireless connection. In fact, Splatoon might be the most smooth shooter experience I've had that's not just the result of playing on a Chilean server.

And regarding regional matchmaking, I honestly think it'd be a terrible idea. My most ridiculous lag experiences have been during Splatfests, which are regional; and that would also mean the game would have less people to match up with. Since matches only starts when 8 players are on the lobby, having games not start because of a lack of players on one regional area at one time would be terrible for the game.

I'd much rather have global matchmaking than regional matchmaking with less potential players and hours where matchmaking would be almost impossible.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Nope, I don't see lag often either, and I play from Chile with a wireless connection. In fact, Splatoon might be the most smooth shooter experience I've had that's not just the result of playing on a Chilean server.

And regarding regional matchmaking, I honestly think it'd be a terrible idea. My most ridiculous lag experiences have been during Splatfests, which are regional; and that would also mean the game would have less people to match up with. Since matches only starts when 8 players are on the lobby, having games not start because of a lack of players on one regional area at one time would be terrible for the game.

I'd much rather have global matchmaking than regional matchmaking with less potential players and hours where matchmaking would be almost impossible.
Regional matchmaking would be optional, not the only option though ;)

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
That'd still divide the player base, increasing the time necessary to fill a lobby on a global scale. This isn't like Mario Kart where you can have incomplete lobby games. If one of the regions doesn't let you fill a lobby your only chance would be global matchmaking, where you'll still run into trouble since now people in other regions are divided between regional and global matchmakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom