• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Lag tears this game apart.

Lorbeerprinz

Full Squid
NNID
lorbeerprinz
I see a lot of lag and disconnects in more regional-ish matches than you'd imagine, including private lobbies where everyone's from Germany to begin with. Sometimes it's people's connection, sometimes it's Nintendo's. It seems like in general, Splatoon is very peculiar about the connection it needs to stay afloat. For example, I have to boost my house's WLAN so that at least something arrives upstairs where I am (very thick walls everywhere, old house) and when that's just slightly below its optimum output (like when it's raining... sometimes), Splatoon will already ***** about it and doesn't let me finish matches. But I know it's my connection being stupid then, and sometimes I get disconnects while my connection is perfect. Not that it'd be less infuriating either way (I lost a whole damn rank to disconnects once).
In other words, it seems like a lot of things come together to create lag or disconnects, not only the distance between you and the others. Every online-based game will have some sort of lag for one reason or another. It's annoying, yes, but I don't think regional lobbies would get rid of the problem, at least not entirely. Also, "tears this game apart" or "pre-alpha" is really much too harsh to say in my opinion. Personally, I can play Splatoon ALOT better than other online games *coughSSB4cough*

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Yeah, I lost a rank to lag and disconnects yesterday. I mean, I wasn't doing great to be in the position to lose rank over DC, but I was in a match where we were doing well and felt like momentum was swinging back my direction. Then people start teleporting everywhere in one match and I get DC'd in another.

It was great...

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Regional matchmaking is not the beat all, end all answer; we know that. But regional matchmaking will make the overall online experience smoother, than it already is.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Regional matchmaking is not the beat all, end all answer; we know that. But regional matchmaking will make the overall online experience smoother, than it already is.
Haven't there been multiple instances of stating that people actually get more connection problems with their own region?

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
It also interesting to splat a Roller and then see their ink trail continue for a few seconds. Lag usually works in my favor when I use chargers, so no complaints

Last edited:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
To me lag is the least frustrating thing among the frustrating things about the game which I otherwise love :)

Lag is there but is almost never an issue for me. It may be worth saying that I've used a wired connection and had worse lag than my wireless. It makes me wonder if a high quality wireless router is better than an USB ethernet adapter with the Wii U.

I'd much rather complain about the point award/loss and matchmaking in ranked...

I'll also add to the objections to regional matchmaking. I see no more lag in all Japanese ranked games (I'm in the US) vs splatfest games and it would decrease the matchmaking pool. If you want a regional game then just make a private battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom