• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Lag tears this game apart.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
That'd still divide the player base, increasing the time necessary to fill a lobby on a global scale. This isn't like Mario Kart where you can have incomplete lobby games. If one of the regions doesn't let you fill a lobby your only chance would be global matchmaking, where you'll still run into trouble since now people in other regions are divided between regional and global matchmakers.
When i was playing splatfest it only took a few seconds extra to find games. Might be because a lot of people are active during splatfest, but i'd still love to play regional matchmaking.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
When i was playing splatfest it only took a few seconds extra to find games. Might be because a lot of people are active during splatfest, but i'd still love to play regional matchmaking.
Splatfests are events out of the ordinary. They take place during the weekends, which is naturally when more players are available, and by their very nature they attract more players than usual. Splatfests are far from being representative of what would happen during valley hours in player count when you include regional matchmaking.

Besides, regional matchmaking would divide the playerbase in more ways. Japanese players are numerous and close to each other, so it's highly likely a huge number of them would stick to regional since it'd just be so much better, thus taking a huge chunk of global players out of the picture.

Europe is also relatively close knit, but there are less overall players. It's likely regional matchmaking would work like a charm... when it actually manages to find enough players in reasonable timeframes, that is.

America... oh boy, America. That place is huge, and with a particularly high concentration of potato connections (dumb monopolies in the US, a respectable number less developed countries in Central and South America). As I said, Splatfests have been the times I've faced my most ridiculous cases of lag during my playtime, and without a really significant increase in game performace. You would now have regional matches with the same ocassional hickups and significant downtimes, or global matchmaking where a good chunk of the playerbase is sticking to their regional matchmaking. Not a good experience overall.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
I live in Australia, if I use Regional Matchmaking there will never be enough people to fill a lobby, if I play Global matchmaking, because of my country's terrible internet infrastructure, it will always been an uphill battle against laggers unless I'm hosting. I lose either way, which is why I try not to touch the game unless I'm playing with friends.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
When I first started playing, I had bad lag hiccups and weird delays on shots that were making matches annoying. Nowadays, I feel like I'm one of those players who gets all the advantageous lag. I mean, it's the only way I can explain stuff like this.
That happens to me very rarely.

CinnaDonut

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SerFiora
I don't have a lot of lag problems during the day (I'm in the US), but at night is where it shines. It's mostly in ranked too. I get lag Sometimes in Turf War at night. The disconnect penalties in ranked are scary though. I stopped playing ranked at night all together so I can keep my rank from dropping due to lagging out.

D

Deleted Member

At least the lag is nowhere near as bad as Brawl's online. A lot of times for me it was like a slideshow that progressed frame by frame.

toxictower

Full Squid
Ahh yes so annoying! I hate it when I'm inking a certain area and the area just won't ink up or when Someone's moving and the game repeats there movement like 3 times! I don't know if anyone else gets that but I probably get it once or twice from ten matches or so. Also Kraken lag is just not fair. I don't know if it's because I'm not using a wired connection but we've just increased our...throttle/bandwidth? idk what it's called but my room is right above the router, I'm thinking of actually moving it to my room to use a wired connection to see if that changes anything.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
Ahh yes so annoying! I hate it when I'm inking a certain area and the area just won't ink up or when Someone's moving and the game repeats there movement like 3 times! I don't know if anyone else gets that but I probably get it once or twice from ten matches or so. Also Kraken lag is just not fair. I don't know if it's because I'm not using a wired connection but we've just increased our...throttle/bandwidth? idk what it's called but my room is right above the router, I'm thinking of actually moving it to my room to use a wired connection to see if that changes anything.
It most likely won't. You'll find that going from wired to wireless will really only decrease the ping delay by a few milliseconds, unless you live in a lead house insulated with microwaves.
I have a DMZ for my Wii U setup and all ports opened on NAT and I still get all this junk, wired or wireless. It's just the game's netcode.

toxictower

Full Squid
It most likely won't. You'll find that going from wired to wireless will really only decrease the ping delay by a few milliseconds, unless you live in a lead house insulated with microwaves.
I have a DMZ for my Wii U setup and all ports opened on NAT and I still get all this junk, wired or wireless. It's just the game's netcode.
Thanks! I'm too lazy to do it anyways. Could Nintendo do anything to possibly fix the issue?

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
Thanks! I'm too lazy to do it anyways. Could Nintendo do anything to possibly fix the issue?
I doubt it, considering I had to buy an entirely new modem that was compatible with the Wii U because it didn't like my old one and none of the games worked, it's probably something with the Wii U, not the game in particular.

toxictower

Full Squid
I doubt it, considering I had to buy an entirely new modem that was compatible with the Wii U because it didn't like my old one and none of the games worked, it's probably something with the Wii U, not the game in particular.
Alright thanks. I remember having to do a manual set up because my Wii U wouldn't connect to it.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I've been having terrible lag lately and it is very frustrating. My splattershot pro suddenly has less range than a tentatek. I hear four distinct thuds of my ink connecting but I get splatted and they are already yards away. The tower jumps forward so the guy I'm shooting at suddenly isn't there (I must look like a moron to the other players).

The worst is definitely the not splatting people with enough shots thing though. Makes me pretty salty. Almost impossible to play ranked sometimes.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Taking out an enemy squid only to be taken out by their rogue fire. Has happened to me so many times. I dodge it when I can, but what can you do :/

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I don't experience lag very much against Japanese players oddly enough. If I'm experiencing lag, it's usually against foreign players. Some of it can be really annoying... Other times it can be genuinely hilarious. Like the time I planted an Ink Mine, got splatted and the mine detonated on the person who got me... Except that it didn't hit them... Until a few seconds later when their character exploded. :v It was just funny to watch their character randomly explode due to the lag on the Ink Mine haha.

Jakkie

Full Squid
I really guess sometimes you just have to roll with it. At least its not a optimization problem, and your getting 15 FPS.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I honestly, don't see the appeal of playing with players across the world, when the games will be filled with all sorts of delay, high pings, packet loss and so much more! Like for turd war, its all ****s and giggles, it adds to the casual factor. But for rank? Fam plz

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom