League Battle mode announced!

Nester

Inkster Jr.
Content Team
Community Ambassador
There's also a new mode in Splatoon 2 called League Battle. This will be a mode that players can play either in groups of two or four, and it will present you with a two-hour period in which your group competes with other groups to see how many points you can earn. Because the results of that League Battle play will be displayed in a ranking at the end of every two-hour period, we can give players goals to strive for, and hope to encourage them to keep competing and pushing.
http://www.glixel.com/interviews/splatoon-2-makers-on-esports-and-why-salmon-run-is-so-hard-w489871

Sounds really neat, more details are starting to trickle in! :D

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
This will be a mode that players can play either in groups of two or four
So 2 person teams? I was always curious if they would ever try a mode that involves or allows teams of two. Very interesting!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'd hazard a guess that this would be the twin and quad squads we're familiar with. Sounds like a great addition!

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
So 2 person teams?
I'd hazard a guess that this would be the twin and quad squads we're familiar with.
I also think that they meant twin squads that will form a 4-player-team rather than 2-player-teams. Because the maps would be way to big for half the amount of players.

Aside from that, it definitely differs from the squad battles - which I believe will also be available as a mode - that we had in Splatoon.
Of course the matches themselves will be the same, but league mode means you will continuously gather (or lose) points over the course of two hours and whatever team has the most points at the end of that time slot will be the winner of the league.
I wonder what the reward for winning a league battle will be?

I'd also like to have a more permanent version of those leagues. Not just 2 hours, but days, months, weeks or even years. Of course not continuously, but more similar to a football league, for example.
It would be awesome if you could create your own long-term league and invite other teams to participate in it.

NNID
ChillQuillz
I also think that they meant twin squads that will form a 4-player-team rather than 2-player-teams. Because the maps would be way to big for half the amount of players.

Aside from that, it definitely differs from the squad battles - which I believe will also be available as a mode - that we had in Splatoon.
Of course the matches themselves will be the same, but league mode means you will continuously gather (or lose) points over the course of two hours and whatever team has the most points at the end of that time slot will be the winner of the league.
I wonder what the reward for winning a league battle will be?

I'd also like to have a more permanent version of those leagues. Not just 2 hours, but days, months, weeks or even years. Of course not continuously, but more similar to a football league, for example.
It would be awesome if you could create your own long-term league and invite other teams to participate in it.
A football team type league would be probably the best

Ceresbane

Senior Squid
NNID
Jazzhand
The mode is limited time because for a league to work you need to confirm the participants of the league would consistently play.
If you have it run for too long you'll find people drop out or get ahead for simply playing more than others.

With that in mind, I'm struggling how they intend to properly keep players around to play for the whole length of the league to have accurate results. Plus the match making would need to be properly balanced, while knowing not all players are gonna vs every team in the league.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
With that in mind, I'm struggling how they intend to properly keep players around to play for the whole length of the league to have accurate results.
Generally speaking, most people can set aside two hours for an activity.

Ceresbane

Senior Squid
NNID
Jazzhand
Generally speaking, most people can set aside two hours for an activity.
When you come up with a system like this its gotta be robust.
This is why alot of tourneys are round robins and eliminations. You play, lose then you're forgotten.

But a league for the public (that size of sample in a league that lasts for two hours-you don't seem to understand how impossible that sounds)... my head spins in all the ways those can go wrong in real life sports.

At the very least this has got to have like a billion divisions and sub divisions that first get separated by region (and time zones).

Gonna take a stab in the dark and say that its league in name only.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Did you read the article? It said each session lasts two hours, and It's competing for points, it'll no doubt have the same completely random 4-man team versus 4-man team structure this game has usually had. It sounds more like a mini-splatfest for the truly competitive than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom