• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

LEAVE PEARL ALONE!!!

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I get sick of this too, and I love her design. In fact, I am a very big fan of her. On pixiv, she gets lots of love and attention which I am happy to see.

In fact, I will be drawing fanart of her tonight because I love her that much, especially what she wears and that coloration of hers. I think people expect perfect looking characters, and realize that character is what makes up for them, which she has a lot to show.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
I do like Pearl the more I see of her, but I think it is really easy to see why Marina is so much more popular than her. Every single one of Marinas expressions and actions radiates pure adorable factor, and Pearl...just kind of doesn't. I feel bad for Pearl, but should we have a final splat fest again with the gals, I will be team Marina with the 90% =P

4thday

Inkling
Yeah, I completely agree. Pearl is a very interesting character who deserves a lot more popularity... If Pearl and Marina were in Splatoon 1, I'm sure we'd all just be hating the Squid Sisters instead.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I've really liked Pearl since Off the Hook was first shown. Initially I was a bigger fan of Marina because holy cow an Octoling pop star in Inkopolis is crazy and she looks cool and cute! But seeing all the shade thrown towards Pearl right from the get go really puzzled me, sure she looks different than other inklings, but that was so cool! I do admit sometimes her model looks very off putting, but she looks perfectly fine otherwise.

Now that we are post launch, seeing them interact more, I've kinda started leaning toward liking Pearl more, though I pretty much like them evenly at this point in general. Marina's dialogue has been so off putting since she is basically Marie again, at least in the US localization. Which is a shame since NoA was always in my opinion a vast step up above the rest of regions for the writing in Splatoon. Pearl is similar to Callie admittedly, being very excitable and curious about the stages, but they feel more unique in comparison to Marie and Marina.

A friend of mine has the idea that Marina does not mean to be a jerk to Pearl with her sass, but rather isn't familiar with sarcasm and is genuine with all her lines. I love that interpretation, but from what I can tell, I can't imagine it's the case sadly.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Honestly, the way I see Pearl is that she's just a child on a live stage. Curious, loud mouthed, a bit of a brat. These traits simply do not resonate with me, personally.

And I don't really find Marina or Marie all that similar, either. In a way, I think these two draw from different halves of the Squid Sisters: Pearl is Marie's attitude mixed with Callie's lack of an indoor voice, while Marina is Callie's cheerful go-getter mood with Marie's quips and appreciation of food.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
ヒメ(Hime ) that means Princess. I think would have been a little more fitting a name for her. But Pearl is fine she dose have a bit of a spoiled brat additude.

She reminds me of A girl I went to high school with.
She was the short tough kind and cared alot about what people thought of her. But pretended she didn't.

I don't hate Pearl but I'm not blown away by her either.
Now Marina イイダ(Eda) on the other had reminds me of myself a little, but I like the Dynamic between the two and the silly dialogue that happens. But the catch phrase sucks... "Stay Fresh" just too classic.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Once you get past the cataract-eyes, I like Pearl quite a bit. The lip stud suits her more than Marina, but I'll agree that they have similar personality and quips to Callie and Marie. Hey at least we get most of those quips in the EU version, in the first game, Booyah became "Nice!" And cute things like "The Bubble Huddle" became "ETERNAL PHALANX OMEGA" and "INFINITE TEARS OF HEAVEN" and something to do with CRYSTAL DUST.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
It's especially important to remember that there's a lot more to Pearl underneath than most people care to realize.
Pearl really is, when you think about it, still a child. She can't ride a bike without training wheels, she's clumsy in battle (splats herself while rolling with the Dualies), and she's pretty direct when it comes to being snarky, unlike Marina's more subtle quips thrown in on the side. Sure, she scowls at you when you look at her long enough in the studio where Marina will give you a cheery wave, but she has a lot of reasons to act like a punk (literally).

Pearl is a good rapper, but that's probably because she knows that she can't sing otherwise. Sunken Scroll 1 reveals that she caused a shockwave at a singing competition that literally damaged the structure she was performing in because her singing voice was so horrific. It wasn't just any singing competition either, it was the same one that Callie and Marie were victorious in, which would lead them to become pop idols. Considering that Callie and Marie were the very first winners of that contest, and they're not celebrities, it probably gets a really big turnout each year. That being said, I can only imagine how embarrassed Pearl must've been after that incident, especially since something like that is impossible to cover up (she literally blew the speakers up). Seeing where she is today, that clearly didn't stop her from getting back up and excelling in other kinds of music, so you have to give her credit for her determination.

Now that I think of it, her reluctance to send a search party out for Callie makes a bit more sense. I don't think it's entirely a matter of envy, I think that there's some humiliation that she's still feeling somewhere inside. The scowls and put-downs are just something she uses to cover that up, a coping mechanism of sorts. That's often true with a lot of people that are somewhat hostile socially, but it's often just a matter of insecurities.

So.... To anyone who says that Pearl (and Marina) don't have any in-depth characterization.... Take that.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
A friend of mine has the idea that Marina does not mean to be a jerk to Pearl with her sass, but rather isn't familiar with sarcasm and is genuine with all her lines. I love that interpretation, but from what I can tell, I can't imagine it's the case sadly.
I always interpreted Marina's quips as friendly banter as well, though I also admit that it doesn't consistently come across that way. There are times when Marina seems genuinely exasperated by Pearl's antics (like when she calls her out on camping, or endless dodge-rolling). And there are other times when she comes across as making a friendly crack at her (like humouring Pearl's claims of team carrying, or "encouraging" her to play with the cranes at Port Mackerel). In fairness, it's not hard to get the impression that being Pearl's close friend and team-mate would get pretty exhausting at times.

Though whatever the case, I kind of like the fact that they made Marina a bit sassy in the English version. It has some pretty sweet implications regarding her relationship with Pearl. Marina is still pretty shy and awkward in the English version, so the fact that she feels comfortable enough around Pearl to take the odd crack at her says a lot about what kind of person Pearl must be underneath the bratty exterior. It takes a lot to put a socially awkward person at that kind of ease.

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
I'm very fond of both characters. Pearl is a very diverse character that shows a lot of spunk and Marina seems mellow and down to earth. Having them together shows two completely different personalities working together and because of that, it's amusing to see how they'll respond to each other. It gives the game a very unique vibe while the previous game made it simple by having sisters work together. Pearl is a great addition to Splatoon and I hope to see more mashups for future games.

sunaku

Hello again!
Community Ambassador
NNID
yuuisim
Switch Friend Code
SW-3702-6418-1999
At first I didn't like her, but she's starting to grow on me. Marina makes for a lovely foil for her diva-like personality.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
dislike button when

In all seriousness, I think it's important to remember that when it comes to these idol pairs, they're at their best when they're together. The two are a team, and their reactions towards one another are what really make them shine.

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
Marina's design is better, but she also has as much personality as a cardboard box. Pearl has more personality than a cardboard box and isn't 'bratty' like everyone says. But... with the internet being the internet.... I think you know why Marina won out.

I legitimately can't tolerate waifu-loving creeps, which is why I just go with Pearl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom