• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Lore Reminder Thread

Cephalobro

I don't know where to put this thread, so feel free to move it to a more general Splatoon section, but I just wanted to make a thread specifically to remind us of the lore that we have gotten, here are a few to get this started:

The Splatoon's version of the watermelon (I think it was called the Squid Melon?) can actually have its insides change color if it absorbs ink.

Inklings love fruits, and those said fruits are grown straight from Kelp Dome.

The Salmonids' ultimate goal in life is to be eaten and are not afraid of dying.

The fishing lure from Agent 3's armor (and its replica) is designed to attract the opposite sex.

Last edited:

pio_dov

Pro Squid
I think there's a problem since I basically knew all those fact, I need to get a life outside of video game lore.
Anyway, here's some lore-based speculations.

---

Agent 4 is a "second generation Turf War Kid", so it can be assumed that public Ink Sports games were created a bit before Splatoon (the first game)'s events take place. That would make sense, since what better time to start the series than at the start of the idea?

There don't seem to be any child labor laws in the Splatoon universe. Grizzco is only one thing, but Squid Sisters dialogue is a whole 'nother level. Not only did they supposedly work at Walleye Warehouse at some point before the age of seventeen, but there's a line of dialogue for Piranha Pit where Callie says something like "I used to work here over the summer when I was a kid".

When you think about the Splatfest law Pearl mentions where your not allowed to agree with the losing team's philosophy, it may or may not be illegal to be friends with Callie. No kidding she's so depressed in the Squid Sisters Stories.

In every Roller victory animation, your ink/octoling throws their weapon onto their shoulder. The speed of which they do it is exactly the same, whether you're using an Inkbrush or a Dynamo. The swings are about as fast as a Splat Roller, so it's possible that all Rollers have the ability to be as fast as a Splat Roller (Carbons and brushes are simply lighter).

Cephalobro

Here are a few more:

Inklings are too lazy to count their change, so they instead donate that change.

Inklings can also be easily distracted from their jobs by something they find interesting.

Octarian tech is ahead of everybody else by at least 15 years.

The Octosamurai is a big fan of Callie.

Jelfonzo split off from Jelonzo.

The Professor is also Judd's former owner.

DJ Octavio has a humanoid form, confirming that he's an Octoling.

pio_dov

Pro Squid
Marina helped invent the flooder when she was 13.

There are three characters who are confirmed to be humanoid cuttlefish (the "cuttlefish idols" and a random kid in the Splatoon 2 art book) and three characters who are likely cuttlefish (Callie, Marie, and Cap'n Cuttlefish). Humanoid cuttlefish look very similar to their squid counterparts, with two main differences: Their ears are more thin and they all have gray tentacles (the shade varies) with the only color on their tips. Some but not all have pupils shaped like a four-pointed star.

There were likely some Octolings who were free before the Inkantation. Warabi, the new partner of the Squid Squad bass player and member of the band Diss-Pair, is apparently the child of two famous actors, and he's an Octoling.

Cephalobro

More lore coming your way:

Pearl's height is a result of an electrocution stunting her growth, this explains why her voice sounds childlike despite being 21 years old.

Salmonids trade with the Octarians, the Salmonids give Power Eggs to the Octarians as payment for Octo tech, that's why there are Boss Salmonids and contraptions that are similar to what is found in Octo Valley and Octo Canyon.

Mr. Grizz might not be a real person but could instead be a series of recordings. This is actually supported in-game by the fact his tip for a Boss Salmonid targeting you hasn't been updated to include Octoling and instead just says Inkling.

Octarians have their own culture, depicting different hobbies like dancing like in the 70's human time or even watching circus performances.

There is a room with baby turtles in Ancho-V Games where the employees go to feel better.

Splatoonlover1

Inkling
Octavio does not actually mind control his army like he did with Callie (and even then, she willingly came to the Octarians). Think of how a military general keeps his troops focused and in line, giving them a beat to march to.

Cephalobro

Okay, so it has been confirmed that Octolings actually are not cut from tentacles, only the other Octarians are cut from tentacles.

QuackNSnack

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5387-6951-7691
Sheldon wanted to join the army as a child, but was unable to, due to his nearsightedness

Jelonzo, Jelfonzo, and Jel La Fleur, are the only jellyfish capable of speaking the Inkling language. Jelfonzo learned the language through studying ancient Inkling texts.

TOD13

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
to add to this:

1. big man can play piano (somehow)
  2. marina has a motorcycle
  3. there's cereal in makomart with off the hook logos on it.
  4. pearl has at least three rooms to store shoes in, one of which is soundproof.

cryfecta

Full Squid
the inner machinations of my mind (an enigma)
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5691-3169-7019
Marina helped invent the flooder when she was 13.

There are three characters who are confirmed to be humanoid cuttlefish (the "cuttlefish idols" and a random kid in the Splatoon 2 art book) and three characters who are likely cuttlefish (Callie, Marie, and Cap'n Cuttlefish). Humanoid cuttlefish look very similar to their squid counterparts, with two main differences: Their ears are more thin and they all have gray tentacles (the shade varies) with the only color on their tips. Some but not all have pupils shaped like a four-pointed star.

There were likely some Octolings who were free before the Inkantation. Warabi, the new partner of the Squid Squad bass player and member of the band Diss-Pair, is apparently the child of two famous actors, and he's an Octoling.
Note in lieu of Splat3 since this post is old: Cap'n Cuttlefish is not a cuttlefish; the "cuttlefish" part of his name (and any cuttlefish-related dialogue afaik) is not present in the Japanese version. Instead, his name is Atarime Yoshio. His Inkipedia article states that this name is from "atarime, slang for dried shredded squid". The Splatoon 3 story mode also clearly shows that he has a squid form, not a cuttlefish form.
This also deconfirms Callie or Marie being cuttlefish. Besides, we've know their squid forms since Splat1.
In my opinion, the eyes might just be a design choice, because even if you made the argument about the hair, Frye has the star-shaped pupils as well but not the grey hair.
I know some people use the shape of their ears (rounded on the bottom) as proof of both being cuttlefish, but 3d promotional art has shown inklings with that same ear shape since before Splat1 released, so it probably doesn't matter.

Also, to add on about Warabi, he could be an Octoling from a different tribe; that is, one that never lived underground. Shiver is one of these octolings. Perhaps he is from somewhere other than Inkopolis? I can't remember specific details, though.

cryfecta

Full Squid
the inner machinations of my mind (an enigma)
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5691-3169-7019
Some of my favorite lore:

Pearl may have been a former signer in Sashimori! It is stated that they used to be a rock band, but kicked out their former lead singer for being too "domineering", which does sound very much like Pearl. When Nogami (Splatoon's producer) was asked about it, he did not give a direct answer, but said to "leave it to your imagination". Make of that what you will.

Sheldon has expressed interest in hiring Agent 8 to work at Ammo Knights, as revealed on SplatNA's Tumblr. Since Side Order is coming out soon as of this post, perhaps they may be seen in Inkopolis Square's Ammo Knights shop in the near future?

Yoko from Ink Theory and Yoko and the Gold Bazookas has multicolored tentacles as a result of a rare mutation. She's also very sensitive to atmospheric pressure.

Nogami has suggested in the past that the jellyfish are all a part of a hivemind. According to The Art of Splatoon 2, as written on Inkipedia: "...jellyfish form colonies of which all members share a collective consciousness, though individuals still have their own personalities and interests".

(This is more trivia than lore but I wanted to put it here anyway) The Octo Expansion test complete jingle can be heard pretty clearly in Fly Octo Fly as a lot of people know, but you can also hear the thang theme as well if you listen closely! It starts at 0:32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom