• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Lore Speculation for Splatoon 3

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Lil' Buddy is so cute! But now I can't play Salmon Run without thinking of him. This one detail opens up so many questions, and that's without factoring in the ominous message of that one Nintendo promotional image (the one with the hidden "Save Our Salmons" message).

What in the world has happened to the Salmonids in the new game? Was Mr. Grizz doing something really illegal? Will we have a new horde mode in Splatoon 3?

What do you all think?

Kaibakihashi

Inkling
Maybe they were forced to move, or are endangered? We're in a desert area now, and Salmonoids would come out from the waters in Salmon Run. The Player's hair ends are all dried up, which kinda points more towards that.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Splatoon has always had a post-apocalyptic backdrop for the setting, something Octo Expansion really expanded on. My guess is that S3 takes place somewhere that didn't fare as well as Inkopolis after humans blew themselves up, and the attitudes towards salmonids and other wildlife may reflect this - befriend and coexist instead of exploit.

Cephalobro

I have actually noticed that the "dried" tentacles may just be a style choice, as we see hairstyles that are not really dry.

Anyways, it could be possible that the player character is an outsider completely. I mean sure, in the last two games, we didn't really start out in Inkopolis Plaza/Square, but the player (the Inkling character in Splatoon 2's case) still started out somewhere else in Inkopolis. It looks like to me that Splatsville and the Splatlands are two completely different places even though one is located in the other, as the Splatslands seem to be completely devoid of civilization of any kind, thus bringing more to the idea that the character we will play is an outsider to Splatsville, much like how Agent 8 and the playable Octolings in Splatoon 2 were basically outsiders to Inkopolis.

karma queen

Inkling
I agree with Cephalobro, maybe the hairstyles aren't all dried up. but..... I think that it might be that way because we are in a deserted island area (kind of like animal crossing but more desert area) I am really glad that octolings are playable in S3! glad we dont have to pay 60$ lol

Kaibakihashi

Inkling
I am really glad that octolings are playable in S3! glad we don't have to pay 60$ lol
If you're referring to just the DLC...

Octoling DLC is 19.99
Splatoon 2 was 59.99

both together were 80+
But it's still better than it was, having to have a DLC to play as them, you're right about that.

Splatoon 3 will probably also be 59.99, so you're still paying 60+ :p

This is the states' price, if you aren't in the states ignore me.

//sorry, it just bothered me, if I'm being rude, apologies

Cephalobro

I hope that Splatoon 3 is the game where Inklings actually find out Octolings are Octarians and not Inklings with "weird hairstyles". Also, on the topic of Octarians, I hope we are able to have an Octotrooper as a "little buddy".

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
It also looked like there were some strange creatures on the train, like the ones we would see in the Octo Expansion train. I wonder what their deal is. We really don't know much about other species' origins other than Inklings. I would like to see the others explored more.

pio_dov

Pro Squid
We'll almost definitely get something about the Squid Sisters (hopefully about the story of them becoming Agents!). Why?

Well, think about this. In Splatoon you could play as Inklings. Splatoon 2 allowed you to play as Inkling and Octolings. Splatoon 3's new playable species will almost definitely be cuttlefish, as the S2 art book actually confirms what Cuttlekids (my term for humanoid cuttlefish) look really similar to Inklings, but their ears are shaped different and they all have white tentacles with tips the color of their ink. With that information, it can easily be assumed that the Squid Sisters are cuttlefish (they're actually called the "Cuttlefish Sisters" in the Chinese dub, apparently). I had a theory about Callie's tentacles being black because of a genetic mutation, but that's irrelevant. My guess is that we'll get a plot about Cuttlekids for DLC and more lore about the Squid Sisters will come with it.

Cephalobro

For an Octarian "little buddy", the customizations could easily be the outside colors (where the suckers are located) plus its own eye color choices and maybe lip colors?

Anyways, we will definitely get more lore about the Salmonids, maybe even new Salmonid subspecies given they are in a new environment.

Cephalobro

So, there's a big possibility that there won't be any returning stages for Splatoon 3, but there might be similar ones to replace them. The reason why I mention this possibility is because of Splatsville being far away from Inkopolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom