• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Tournament [May 28, 2016] Squidboards Presents: The Splatoon Anniversary Invitational (Squidboards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMRose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SunnyDew
How many of the qualifying tournaments are at Oceanic friendly times? Or will I have to pull 4 all nighters to have a chance?

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
How many of the qualifying tournaments are at Oceanic friendly times? Or will I have to pull 4 all nighters to have a chance?
Wach qualifying tournament will run on its own times. Be sure to keep up to date with each of the Qualifying tournament's threads and hopefully there will be one at a good time for you!

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
So spend like 30 hours playing qualifier tournaments to play another 10 hours for no prizes or what?

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
That is a very strange time zone. It depends on when we individually decide to run. but like, say SCL runs at 1PM est like we normally do, you guys are around half a day ahead if I'm thinking of the right time zone. It's sort of impossible for all tournaments to accommodate every time zone. I'm sorry if it does inconvenience you.

So spend like 30 hours playing qualifier tournaments to play another 10 hours for no prizes or what?
If you don't want to enter due to lack of prizes, don't enter. no need to leave short and snarky comments about it.

AMRose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SunnyDew
That is a very strange time zone. It depends on when we individually decide to run. but like, say SCL runs at 1PM est like we normally do, you guys are around half a day ahead if I'm thinking of the right time zone. It's sort of impossible for all tournaments to accommodate every time zone. I'm sorry if it does inconvenience you.
SCL starts at 2:30am my time. I know it's impossible to accomodate every time zone but every time I check the agenda NONE of them accomodate Oceania. The only one that did was Oceanink Offensive and that was because several members of my own team were tired of this happening so we made our own tournament. But that doesn't help the fact that all 4 qualifiers will prioritise European time zones over Oceanic ones.

ThisFungi

8-bit crazy!
You'd be in it for all the wrong reasons if prizes are considered to be the only source of motivation for a tourney.

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
Glory is probably the intrinsic prize, but extra incentives never hurt. On a separate note, will the 16 teams be seeded according to the number of points they've accumulated during qualifiers, and will there be a tiebreaker in case two or more teams tie for 16th?

WydrA

Inkling Commander
SCL starts at 2:30am my time. I know it's impossible to accomodate every time zone but every time I check the agenda NONE of them accomodate Oceania. The only one that did was Oceanink Offensive and that was because several members of my own team were tired of this happening so we made our own tournament. But that doesn't help the fact that all 4 qualifiers will prioritise European time zones over Oceanic ones.
this is somewhat of an unsolvable problem for people outside of Oceania. For them to run Oceania-friendly tournies, they have to do exactly what you don't want to do by entering european and North american tournies. I would suggest you either continue to run tournies out of Oceania yourself, and help build the scene out there, or maybe partner with the Japanese scene, since their timezone is closer to yours.

AMRose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SunnyDew
this is somewhat of an unsolvable problem for people outside of Oceania. For them to run Oceania-friendly tournies, they have to do exactly what you don't want to do by entering european and North american tournies. I would suggest you either continue to run tournies out of Oceania yourself, and help build the scene out there, or maybe partner with the Japanese scene, since their timezone is closer to yours.
My team has American players and we have no problem finding times that suit both of us to play. The problem is that you can't accomodate the US, Europe, and Oceania at the same time, and it seems that European tournaments cater to the US and US tournaments cater to Europe. The Japanese scene is hard to get into without a Japanese speaker, even if rules and such are in English.

I don't mind that we have to make our own tournaments for experience's sake, but having to choose between decent sleep and big events like this is a choice I'm tired of having to make.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Glory is probably the intrinsic prize, but extra incentives never hurt. On a separate note, will the 16 teams be seeded according to the number of points they've accumulated during qualifiers, and will there be a tiebreaker in case two or more teams tie for 16th?
Yup, seeding for the invitational is determined entirely by points earned. And if 2 teams would be 16th but they tied, there will be some sort of tiebreaker.

My team has American players and we have no problem finding times that suit both of us to play. The problem is that you can't accomodate the US, Europe, and Oceania at the same time, and it seems that European tournaments cater to the US and US tournaments cater to Europe. The Japanese scene is hard to get into without a Japanese speaker, even if rules and such are in English.

I don't mind that we have to make our own tournaments for experience's sake, but having to choose between decent sleep and big events like this is a choice I'm tired of having to make.
Yeah I mean the tournaments are generally going to have to do the time zones where most of their players are and that are convenient for them. You'll just have to encourage more oceanic options or hold more of your own to have those options.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425

I dont know if you have a feedback thread, but the NA PST/MST and AEST members of my squad overwhelmingly appreciated not having to wake up early weekends for a tourney. So I think you definitly have a player pool to potentially build from if you contiue to host tournies.

Alecat

Full Squid
NNID
alecatmew
Thanks for that feedback Blue! It was fun hosting everyone last time. We are aiming very much to grow out the local scene, so the next tournament will focus on local players *only* to bring more Oceanic players out of their shells. I know that seems to run inverse to the goal of competing at the international level, but my hope is to get more people from the region inspired and actually get more OCE TOs. Right now as I'm TOing events I'm not able to enter them. I'd like other squids to step up so I can actually play in tournaments :)

That said, since a lot of people expressed they enjoyed our tournament's timeslot, it might be cool to see some American TOs hold their events at that time. Especially since our tournament might drift a couple of hours later based on how things went last time.

To avoid too much more derailing on this thread: there's an OO feedback thread: http://squidboards.com/threads/oceanink-offensive-april-results-and-feedback.24329/

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Qualifier System Update:

We have changed the points distribution system for the four SAI qualifier events this weekend and next:

Teams can still enter as many qualifier events as they want. However, only their two best finishes will be added together to determine a team's point total.

Initially, every event that a team entered would count towards a team's point total. This would have given teams who entered more tournaments a better chance of qualifying, even if they may not have finished farther in a given qualifier compared to another team.

Teams that only enter one qualifier will receive points from the one event they did enter and a "0" for not entering a second event. Teams that entered two qualifiers will have those two events considered. And teams that entered three or four qualifiers will have, as stated above, the points from their two highest placings added together.

If you have any questions or concerns, please direct them to myself or any of the SAI tournament staff.

Thanks!

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Less than one week remains before the Splatoon Anniversary Invitational main event!

So we've got an update for you:

1) Concerning the events this past weekend with players of certain teams also playing for other teams with the intention to get those other teams qualified. We will not be DQing any team or player(s) involved. We believe that the rule was not clearly defined enough to be fairly enforced in this situation.

However, had those teams qualified with the help of players from other or affiliated teams, those teams that got help to qualify would have been stripped of their qualifying berth.

As this is not the case, these teams did not qualify in the end, we do not need to do that. But we would've made sure that these helped teams would not have gotten an invite by gaming the system. We will be making sure that, in the duration of the main event, players of other teams (especially those eliminated in that same bracket) will not play for teams still in play.

2) To clarify on seeding. Seeding the top 16 teams in the main event bracket will be based on both qualifying points obtained by each team and TO decision. This is reflected in the main event page on Squidboards.

3) The top 16 teams have qualified and their results are reflected on the leaderboard.

4) All top 16 teams that have qualified must register their team using the team registration form before Saturday. Players that played for teams that did not qualify are not allowed to register with a team that has an invite. Players cannot be registered for more than one team, even as a substitute.

5) We will be releasing the bracket, gametypes, and more information for the main event by Tuesday/Wednesday

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny
II. All teams are allowed ONE replay due to disconnection in the entire bracket. In exception, all teams are granted ONE replay in Grand Finals even if they already used a replay earlier in the bracket
inb4 one DC happening the round before GF so they can take advantage of the additional DC they are allowed to have in GF.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
The OP has been updated with the main event bracket and gametype/map rotation!

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
This event has been completed! Congratulations to Extermination for their victory! And congrats to all the teams that participated in the main event and qualifier events.

You can view the full results/feedback thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom