• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

MEDIOCRE!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ten times longer! ISN'T THAT AMAZING :P

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Wow... Not sure if that's an appreciation or annoyance even if I was a backer.

Is there no way to skip then watch the credits later? Or fast forward the scroll since the music is on an ad infinitum loop?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
As far as I've heard, nope, you either sit through the marathon or shut it off.

G

girigiriHERO

Wow... Not sure if that's an appreciation or annoyance even if I was a backer.

Is there no way to skip then watch the credits later? Or fast forward the scroll since the music is on an ad infinitum loop?
credits is a seperate option from the main menu screen, I'm sure when you complete the actual game it just shows the team that created it.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
A final note... much like this thread, this game is being forgotten. Even the vitriol being tossed about on Steam is slowing down. Just like I predicted, it's fading into obscurity.

Inafune must be a bit peeved that his game isn't good OR bad enough to be remembered. Even a negative reputation can be spun for profit, but this? The bubble popped, and now there is nothing.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Well the game's just medicore, and mediocre games get forgotten quickly. It's meh, but it can't reach legendary levels of awful like Big Rigs or Ride to Hell or is it anywhere near good enough to get even fainly remembered aside from the fact it's a disaster of a kickstarter project. Doesn't help that the CS: GO scandal is currently the bigger gaming controvesy at the moment, making people forget about MN9 that much quicker.

I dunno about the future of Inafune, or what'll happen to his other project Red Ash after MN9 dropped. But considering the wierd decision Concept made to release a bizzare unity-esque prototype that barely shows anything in-game, I wouldn't get my hopes up if i were you.
But hey, Bloodstained is looking pretty good so far!

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I haven't heard much about Mighty No. 9 other than all the reviews saying it's bad. It really put me off from buying it along with that god-awful trailer it has, haha.
Funny, it was on my wishlist for awhile.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Don't worry Aori, you're not missing anything :P

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I haven't heard much about Mighty No. 9 other than all the reviews saying it's bad. It really put me off from buying it along with that god-awful trailer it has, haha.
Funny, it was on my wishlist for awhile.
It was on mine too. Especially since the initial pitch made it sound like Mega Man with a Kirbyish twist (pretty sure it had Beck transforming based on absorbed enemies, which is something Kirby does, though I could be mistaken), which interested me because I like both series. Hell, I'd still go for something like that.

In the end, I'm glad I forgot about MN9 tho. It just ended up, well, mediocre. A shame, really. It had potential (just imagine a Mega Man-alike where you had limited-weapon-energy robot master weapons that you earned from bosses and can switch between at any time, and also a bunch of can-only-hold-one-at-a-time utility abilities that are gained from certain enemies and are used to solve puzzles for stuff. It'd probably be really cool if it were done right), and maybe if it hadn't been stretch goal'd (is there a word for that?) onto so many platforms (serious question, how many platforms is MN9 going to end up on? I remember PC, WiiU and 3DS, and I assume PS4 and XBone too, but were there others?), it could've lived up to that.

*sigh* Hopefully a Mega Man fangame'll do something like Mighty No. 9's initial pitch some day.

G

girigiriHERO

update...my copy is still sitting in the shrink wrap on my shelf, mostly because what little time I have to game has been dedicated to Tokyo Mirage Sessions which is, inane hypocritical uneeded censorship aside, a really good game, and Shantae Risky's Revenge, and A Link to the Past.

Being a long time fan of Rockman since the 2nd and after watching countless reviews and seeing as that the Wii U is probably the worst of the bunch...some things are best untouched. I've returned it and got my $25 back and it will stay that way. Maybe in the future if it's $10 I MIGHT pick it up, but for now I'll remember Inafune for what he represented in his golden years.

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Oh well at least Sonic 06 won't betray me and I get to throw things with psychokinesis.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I've been watching ProJared play it, and eesh. Boss chase levels are a terrible idea that I've yet to see be done right.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I've been watching ProJared play it, and eesh. Boss chase levels are a terrible idea that I've yet to see be done right.
Areas where bosses are chasing behind you with an autoscrolling screen, right? There was something like that in robobot and I actually feel it was done really well. You can actually beat the boss for a sticker needed to 100% the game and it's really easy with the right ability. (There's even a cube with the same boss on a much later extra level to 100% the game, but you have the robobot armor then so its twice as easy.)

Though if the boss is unkillable that's just really frustrating to me.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Areas where bosses are chasing behind you with an autoscrolling screen, right? There was something like that in robobot and I actually feel it was done really well. You can actually beat the boss for a sticker needed to 100% the game and it's really easy with the right ability. (There's even a cube with the same boss on a much later extra level to 100% the game, but you have the robobot armor then so its twice as easy.)

No, I mean where the boss is actively running from you and the stage loops infinitely until you catch it or deal enough damage. Not fun!

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys

Yeah, that was in the first level! It was pretty good, though I didn't think much of it at the time.

No, I mean where the boss is actively running from you and the stage loops infinitely until you catch it or deal enough damage. Not fun!
I've never seen a stage like this (or at least I can't remember any), but if they're anything like Clint Eastwood's... yeah, I agree completely. Not fun.

I've been watching those too!

So, um, here are a bunch of observations from watching ProJared play Mighty No. 9, and other videos of MN9 too:

~Semirelevant Beginning Note: I can't remember most of the names, so I'm just going to go with the first thing I can think of for most of the robots.
+The opening just looks so bad. I'm not sure why, it just does.
+Why isn't Dr. Bighair's mouth moving when he talks? Or Beck's, for that matter.
+TV Blondie looks like he's obviously behind this. He's even showing up on a big screen, like Wily did a few times (I think 7 and 9, maybe 10 too).
+Why doesn't Beck have an up-dash? It would be so useful!
+Is Beck going to say something every time he dashkills an enemy? Please, no.
+Yep, he is.
+Shut up Beck.
+Jared is right, that does look kind of like a Data Drain. Kind of surprised I remembered what that looked like.
+What's with that forward-jump-thingy (the one with the lines while Beck's jumping, sorry, not sure how to explain it)? Does it do something special?
+F*** Clint Eastwood's level. Could've been great, if it had checkpoints and no instant-death bulls*** or something, but as it is, f*** that s***.
~Irrelevant Side Note: Clint Eastwood sounds like Clint Eastwood. There is no way this is a coincidence.
+The "defeated Robot Masters aid you in other levels" idea is a good one. If only it had been more than a way to say "YOU HAVE THE WEAKNESS GO HERE also I'm dealing with a minor hazard for you. You're welcome" I might like it more.
--ILikeKirbys Speculates, Feel Free To Ignore: Seriously, imagine if, say, a fire-based boss melted an ice-boss's level so it wasn't slippery (minus any areas that need to be slippery, if any exist), or if an electric-based boss destroyed any electric traps (for example, if there were a door where you had to shoot a switch to open it and then sprint through the door before it closes (an example which is something MN9 did), this boss would just hold the door open for you so you don't have to deal with that (not something MN9 did, to my knowledge), or if there were Quick Man lasers (don't recall seeing any MN9 Quick Man lasers, maybe they were saving that for MN10 or whatever... Not that I'm complaining, f*** Quick Man lasers), this boss would short them out so you can just ignore them), or if a light-based boss illuminated dark areas, or a wind-based boss could make an area with a long bottomless pit have the pit just shoot you upward when you fall into it instead of killing you, or stuff like that. And it could happen in the level whose boss is weak against the summoned boss's weapon, but it should also happen (and primarily should happen, in my opinion) in other levels when appropriate. And you could have secret stuff that requires these things, like hidden extra lives or abilities or keys to unlockable hidden levels or something cool like that (possibly a better way to implement Ray than DLC?).
+Helicopter Deadpool seems like he's trying so hard to be wacky, and it just doesn't work for me. Not sure if that's the writing making him annoying or me just not digging it. Maybe it's just his one-man-news-team routine that annoys me.
~Irrelevant Side Note: Helicopter Deadpool looks like GyroMan.EXE from one of the Battle Networks. Odd.
~~Irrelevant Side Note Jr: Helicopter Deadpool sounds awesome, and the robot it refers to is in no way deserving of that awesomeness.
+Shut up Helicopter Deadpool.
+Hey, Lighter-Man's level uses the burning-oil thing from Flame Man! And Mega Man: Powered Up's Fire Man!
+This fire effect is very underwhelming.
+Lighter-Man just looks stupid when he isn't on fire. Also he looks so much easier in his own game that he is in Mighty Gunvolt (probably because he's slower and doesn't shoot projectiles with his belly flop of doom in MN9).
++Relevant Side Note: Lighter-Man has an instant-kill. It's not an especially annoying one in practice (just avoid touching him when he's glowing, I think), but the existence of it just pisses me off.
+Shut up Beck.
+Ice-based-Aqua-Man-woman's level has a water part that can literally just be dashed over. Who thought this was good design?
+Ice-based-Aqua-Man-woman's level has Pong as a miniboss. Didn't expect that. Still, Pong on Ice seems like a fun idea, I like that. Good going, game.
+I don't especially love ice-based-Aqua-Man-woman, but I still find her less annoying than Beck. Maybe because I don't hear them every time Beck dashkills an enemy. Although that Pew-Pew-Pew! Pew-Pew-Pew! annoys me immensely.
+Shut up Beck. And stop doing that pew-pew-pew thing, ice-based-Aqua-Man-woman!
+Dynatron looks like the most annoying boss fight. Which is a shame, since I find her quite tolerable otherwise.
~Irrelevant Side Note: I remembered Dynatron's name, which is good, because I couldn't come up with another name for her. Best I could manage was Azure Striker Lightbulb, because she looks like a lightbulb and her weapon kinda works like Azure Striker Gunvolt's bullets > Flashfield-of-lightning-death attack.
~~Irrelevant Side Note Jr: Dynatron kinda sounds like Toadette to me. Dunno why...
+You can keep talking, Dynatron. I like you.
+Literally-a-revolver is just so weird-looking. Like, seriously.
+Shut up Beck.
+F*** Tengen-Toppa-Guts-Man-Lagann's level. I don't even need to play it, just watching Jared play it makes my soul hurt.
+What is the point of Tengen-Toppa-Guts-Man-Lagann's weapon? I can't figure it out.
+Shut up Beck.
+Instant death s*** kills you during your mercy invincibility. Why.
~Irrelevant Side Note: I'm playing through AVGN 2: Assimilation right now, and it feels like the instant-kill-death-blocks there are the same way, though that could be the mercy invincibility not being very long, I'm not sure. If someone else has played this game, does it work that way?
++Relevant Side Note: Instant death traps in games just annoy me, I have yet to see them done well in a game that doesn't just kill you in one hit of anything. Why do they still exist? Aren't bottomless pits good enough on the insta-death front? I mean, I hated them in Shovel Knight too, and that's one of my favorite games ever now (thank you Plague Knight), so it's not just this game (except the killed-during-mercy-invincibility part, that was most definitely not in Shovel Knight).
+Shut up Beck.
+Totally-not-Zero-I-swear totally isn't Zero, I swear. But he's still cool, primarily for giving one of the best weapons (it deflects projectiles, and trivializes parts of the final boss, and it has a useless spinny thing but that doesn't matter) and also for having a mostly-fun-looking boss fight (except for that one part with the dash-slashes, that just looks annoying. Good thing it looks like it only happens once!).
+Why doesn't totally-not-Zero-I-swear's scissor-sword-slash-thing drain weapon energy with the rapid-slashes? It's too good as it is, that would probably g a long way toward balancing it.
+Shut up Beck.
+Not-Roll's level is simultaneously superfluous and annoying. Which is a shame, because she actually has some abilities that would be neat to play around with if she could give them to a better character (the barrier could've been nice if it had been a good way to damage enemies by reflecting their shots (she seriously needed something like that if she was going to have such a limited arm cannon), the float was a good addition, the crawl might've been cool to play around with if you could actually go under attacks with it (but I have my doubts about that)). Unfortunately, her s***-tacular one-shot-gun and inability to absorb enemies (forcing you to shoot them to death with the slowest gun ever) makes her just look annoying to use.
++Side Note: Not-Roll's voice is somehow more annoying than Beck's.
+Shut up Not-Roll. You're the worst playable character in a Mega Man game ever. Worse than Oil Man. I didn't think that was possible.
+Some of these powers actually seem coolish, like Helicopter Deadpool's giving-you-a-high-jump-and-a-slow-fall and totally-not-Zero-I-swear's sword-that-deflects-projectiles, but I don't see much reason to use them in the levels.
++Addition To The Above: I will give credit for the Cherry Dynamics level, since the boss powers actually seem useful there, but that just makes me kind of annoyed that the rest of the game doesn't have areas where you can get extras from using boss powers creatively (are there any areas where Helicopter Deadpool's high-jump matters in the boss levels? Or where Clint Eastwood's super-bouncy-bullet comes in handy? Or... whatever Tengen-Toppa-Guts-Man-Lagann gave you? I can think of obvious uses for totally-not-Zero-I-swear's invincisword of maximum awesomeness, and literally-a-revolver's explosive is highly damaging, and ice-based-Aqua-Man-woman's ice-Water-Balloon makes getting combos easier if you care about that, but the less combat-based abilities just seem useless outside of their one situation of usefulness (and in Tengen-Toppa-Guts-Man-Lagann's case, that one situation never seems to materialize, unless I never saw it)).
~Irrelevant Side Note: Helicopter Deadpool isn't nearly as annoying in Cherry Dynamics. Guess it was the one-man-news-team thing that annoyed me about him.
++Relevant Side Note: I only noticed this while watching Cherry Dynamics, but Beck can't crouch. Why not? Would it make the game too easy?
+~Relevant To That Last Thing But Otherwise Irrelevant: Why can't Beck shoot straight up? Would it break the game if he could aim vertically or something?
+You don't have to shut up any more, Helicopter Deadpool. Just don't go into broadcasting. Ever. Please.
+There is no boss rush. I am disappointed.
+Trinity just looks stupid. Why does she turn into a flower? Why?
+Only watched a couple of videos of Ray's (the DLC character) gameplay, but not being able to recover your HP during boss fights through dashing seems extremely annoying, especially for a melee-locked-by-default character. I might be wrong about this one though, since I might've missed some mid-battle HP recovery. Otherwise, she seems okayish, probably better than Beck outside of bosses. Kinda like how Zero in X4 had an easier time in stages than X, but had a harder time with bosses since he had to get up close to hit them.
~Closing Irrelevant Thought: Now that I think about it, the initial pitch for Beck sounds a hell of a lot like Mega Man X's Axl, being a robot that would transform by absorbing enemies, giving him abilities based on the absorbed enemy. Axl had an ability like that in X7 (where it was mostly useless), Command Mission (where it was f***in' awesome) and X8 (where I don't recall it). Axl sucked in X7 (literally just inferior X). But then he got so much better in Command Mission (he could make himself invincible, and his super attack thing had him turn into previous bosses to wreck enemies) and X8 (regrettably only played it once, but he was differentiated from X very well and worth using, and I liked him). Maybe Beck just needs a sequel that won't be ported to every platform ever to become good like Axl (or maybe just to show up in an RPG and be amazing). Not sure I'd consider picking up a Mighty No. 10 or whatever it'd be called, since MN9 soured me on the idea, but it's just a thought. Didn't think I'd like Axl either after his awful first outing in X7, but he turned out well enough.

Last edited:

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Oh god that's worse by a longshot.
I never see that in the games I play thank god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom