Metroid Social Thread: Splatoon

Oni

Full Squid
Would be pretty hilarious. Would really hurt my heart though.

In all seriousness though, I've never really asked this of other Metroid fans though I think about it quite often to myself. For the next Metroid game, what do you want to see in terms of subject matter, gameplay, and system?

Lately I've been wanting a sequel to Metroid Fusion on the 3DS. I would also love a sequel to Hunters on the Wii U, but continuing the story from Fusion and getting the first true sidescroller since Zero Mission would be worth it. There seems to be a trend in games like Other M and Super Mario 3D World (3D World in particular being really successful, Other M obv not at all), and few sidescrolling games that are worth making. But I think Metroid is at it's strongest in that form.

I'll take either one. What do you all think though?
There is a lot of potential from the hunters, (prime 3 and hunters(, that i would like to be explored.
BUT i think metroid should get back on its feet first and then get back to story. A spin off of the 2d or 3d style to get the taste of other m out of everyones mouth before getting back to the good stuff. Maybe fighting through an asteroid base of the space pirates thats doing something or other where ridley gets fought again and the base (and the asteroid) explode.

Personally i prefer the prime games to the side scrollers but anything is good at this point. I also prefer prime 2/3 motuon controls to buttons as well but i am weird as hell.

As for system honestly 2d for 3ds and 3d for wii u seems to be the logical conclusion.

Reactions: Lyn

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
Metroid: other other M has me all hyped up. I especially can't wait for the scene where Samus confronts Mother Brain and has another mental breakdown, causing her to quit being a bounty hunter and work at a flower shop. A space flower shop, obviously.
I've read that calling Samus a "bounty hunter" was originally a mistranslation when promoting the game in the west, but they ended up sticking with that job title since it stuck. A more appropriate title for what she actually does and what they originally meant, and what they call her in Japan, is mercenary. She doesn't really hunt bounties. I don't recall a (traditional) Metroid game when Samus is hunting someone to get paid. She gets instructed by the government to take out targets, yes. That's more of an assassin/mercenary than a bounty hunter.

Reactions: Oni

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Metroid: other other M has me all hyped up. I especially can't wait for the scene where Samus confronts Mother Brain and has another mental breakdown, causing her to quit being a bounty hunter and work at a flower shop. A space flower shop, obviously.
One of the space flowers blooms and it's purple like Ridley; she reverts to a child for the rest of the day.

Also every guy that visits the shop keeps having to be 7 ft minimum so they can keep up the appearance that Samus is a tiny, petite, non-threatening woman at over 6 ft because nintendo won't let team ninja make her short like they clearly wanted to (thank you nintendo).

itisRag

NNID
itisrag
One of the space flowers blooms and it's purple like Ridley; she reverts to a child for the rest of the day.

Also every guy that visits the shop keeps having to be 7 ft minimum so they can keep up the appearance that Samus is a tiny, petite, non-threatening woman at over 6 ft because nintendo won't let team ninja make her short like they clearly wanted to (thank you nintendo).
Their odd quirks aside, Team Ninja does a fantastic job with the mechanics in the newer Ninja Gaiden games, and I put a lot of time into Hyrule Warriors as well. I think people are mixed on the martial arts moves that they added in Metroid Other M, but they are a lifesaver sometimes.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium

Yes, definitely. Let's get this to Team Ninja immediately.

youthCAT1590

Pro Squid
I would love a Metroid Prime 4 or at least another Metroid in the first person style. A sequel to Fusion on the Wii U would also be nice.

Lyn

Premium
I would love a Metroid Prime 4 or at least another Metroid in the first person style. A sequel to Fusion on the Wii U would also be nice.
I definitely agree. Another Prime-style game is all I really want.

youthCAT1590

Pro Squid
I definitely agree. Another Prime-style game is all I really want.
For sure. I mean I know the trilogy is said to be over but c'mon something is up with
The ship at the end of Corruption. Gotta be Dark Samus.

And if it is, then we NEED prime 4, lol. Plus, imagine how gorgeous it would look on the U.

Lyn

Premium
For sure. I mean I know the trilogy is said to be over but c'mon something is up with
The ship at the end of Corruption. Gotta be Dark Samus.

And if it is, then we NEED prime 4, lol. Plus, imagine how gorgeous it would look on the U.
Oh man it'd look great, plus having the map and all that on the Gamepad would be beautiful. We still haven't gotten Metroid: Dread, either. o:

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
I thought the trilogy itself ended pretty nicely, but they could still explore the "Prime" style/universe in the form of a sequel to Metroid Prime: Hunters.

Not only would it be good area for the story (potentially playing off of mystery "not-Sylux" ship at the end of Corruption), being unrelated enough to the actual Prime canon, but it would be amazing to see Nintendo expand on the multiplayer aspect of the Metroid series. I wouldn't mind it being on 3DS or Wii U, or hell, even both.

Really hope Splatoon opens the door for more multiplayer-centered titles, and that Miyamoto wasn't just doing PR/fluff talk with the future of Metroid.

Also, former captain of the Smashboards Space Pirates/Ridley for Sm4sh sect reporting in.

Reactions: Oni

dimefox

Inkling
I started typing this last night. Fell asleep, went to work today, continuing on!

Metroid currently has 3 main gameplay types: Platformer (Super Metroid), First person (Prime), and 3rd person (Other M).

I think Other M's gameplay was fantastic, aside from the very few times you were forced to scan something in order to continue the game. I don't, however, think it should be used as the gameplay for the Wii U title (I think it'd be great for the 3DS, though). Someone, I think in this thread but I haven't checked, said here that they didn't much like the Prime games because they weren't fast enough, and I can agree when you compare Samus's run speed between Prime and Super Metroid, or between Prime and Other M, even.

For example, playing Prime with the run speed of Super Metroid would prove incredibly difficult with screw attack (changing directions is a strange problem, which is why it was reduced to "gap crossing mechanic" in the Prime games; Other M did it better, but made several rooms pretty goofy and easily skippable) or incredibly bland with the speed boost that activates after running in a straight line for however long (I like that Other M used this instead of some form of fast-travel, but there are slightly fewer places to use it than what might make it more useful - I found myself frustrated going through some areas of some sectors that just weren't long enough to activate the speed boost, even though it's more "engaging" to shoot baddies than run straight... anyway, I digress). Likewise, playing Super Metroid or Other M with the run speed of Prime would be mind-numbingly boring, which is why that speed works only for Prime, and it's a good speed for itself.

Nevertheless, I don't at all mind what style the next Metroid game uses.

As for story, I'm slightly torn with my one idea. I really want the whole of Other M to continue to be discardable from the canon because of how excruciatingly bad it's left off the series, but I really think that Samus's time as a GF soldier, something admitted early in Other M, might be something fun to explore. For that chunk of story, I want something similar to the final act of Prime 3, where the GF soldiers are with you and sieging the Pirate Homeworld, right?, but maybe Samus isn't meant to be in a platoon/squadron, so Adam splits up the group like he does in Other M to investigate wherever it is they are, and then they get back together and siege the place, I guess after enough Space Pirate intel has been gathered. But this means taking more orders from Adam, and I don't like that at all... But I'm not a video game writing team and I can't figure this out by my lonesome. Maybe there's a way to make it work.

Or perhaps, we see a game that perfectly bridges a gap between two games; Maybe we can have a game that finalizes the timeline of Samus's life - we know the string of Prime games and then the relation between 2, Super, and Other M, but which series of events happened first is still up for debate (unless I missed some things, please say something if I did). On the topic of 2, maybe we can have an official Return Of Samus remake (and the name would be COMPLETELY fitting (Other M was not Samus in some people's eyes)) or even an extension - but while Zero Mission extends the original NES Metroid at the end, this could extend at the beginning (since extending the end would bleed directly into Super Metroid), with events leading up to and stating the reasons more explicitly as to why the extermination of the Metroid population of SR-388 was necessary for the GF.

OR MAYBE we pull off Metroid: Ocarina of Time, and open up separate timelines for future games to travel down for the next 20 years. This could be a way to explain Ridley's repeat appearances less repetitively than "they reanimated him again," which, to me, is completely fine for as many times as it's happened yet, but I think just one more time might make it stale, especially to people that think it's already stale.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
Their odd quirks aside, Team Ninja does a fantastic job with the mechanics in the newer Ninja Gaiden games, and I put a lot of time into Hyrule Warriors as well. I think people are mixed on the martial arts moves that they added in Metroid Other M, but they are a lifesaver sometimes.
They did a great job on Ninja Gaiden and I personally LOVED Hyrule Warriors, but that doens't undo how straight up bad and unfaithful to the series (and Samus) (m)Other M was.
the baby the baby the baby the baby

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Yeah I had a lot of fun with Hyrule Warriors, they did a nice job with that one tho their quirks did still show through with Zelda gaining a cleavage gap and Cia's entire outfit lol. Haven't ever played a ninja gaiden but I've heard good things.

I kind of got burned out on Other M's combat, I think it was just a bit repetitive on the fancy kill finishers and fighting in general? It wasn't bad, just wasn't all there for me. Didn't help that the story was just a huge detractor from everything to me, and all the let downs with the painfully anti-climatic final boss and then 'secret boss' that will literally kill itself for you if you mess up the kill move on it.

itisRag

NNID
itisrag
secret boss' that will literally kill itself for you if you mess up the kill move on it.
I am bad at that Phantoon fight so I didn't even know you could pull off a finishing move on it the first few times I played it. At least he's a little harder there than in Super Metroid when he is a total pushover.

Lyn

Premium
I am bad at that Phantoon fight so I didn't even know you could pull off a finishing move on it the first few times I played it. At least he's a little harder there than in Super Metroid when he is a total pushover.
Maybe. He's definitely more threatening in Other M but I find his battle to be overall more fun in Super Metroid. It was also way more ominous.

itisRag

NNID
itisrag
I think the hard part for me is all the hands and stuff flying all over and coming out of the floor is hard to dodge, and spamming screw attack doesn't really help a whole lot necessarily. So the Super Metroid fight, although much shorter, might be sweeter.

Reactions: Lyn

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
I could go on massive rants about how Sakurai screwed over Samus in Sm4sh (Only with his logic would he make Zero suit superior than armored suit Samus wtf? And gg on making the only other possible characters for Metroid stage hazards/assist trophy's. )
but instead I'll join the hope wagon that a new game will be announced.

Lyn

Premium
I could go on massive rants about how Sakurai screwed over Samus in Sm4sh (Only with his logic would he make Zero suit superior than armored suit Samus wtf? And gg on making the only other possible characters for Metroid stage hazards/assist trophy's. )
but instead I'll join the hope wagon that a new game will be announced.
Yeah, ZSS in Smash frustrates me. She's really nothing but turning Samus into an object once again, basically none of her moves are even similar to Metroid except maybe one special? I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom