• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Metroid Social Thread: Splatoon

Sakuraichu

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TrainerJack
Metroid's 30th anniversary is next year, right? I'm expecting a new game because they HAVE to make one.
Also Rundas for Smash.

it's also Mother 3's 10th anniversary, right? MOTHER 3 CONFIRMED

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
Yeah, ZSS in Smash frustrates me. She's really nothing but turning Samus into an object once again, basically none of her moves are even similar to Metroid except maybe one special? I don't know.
Exactly. You feel my pain.

Shaggy_MN_1975

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shaggy_MN_1975
I recently started replaying the Metroid series and am currently working on Prime. One thing I have always said about this franchise is that you are guaranteed to feel completely lost at some point in each game. Always have and always will love the Metroid franchise.

I am among the many dreamers that hope we hear of a new Metroid game announcement during E3.

Teeples

Full Squid
NNID
Flow_Teeples
The older I get, the more I appreciate Metroid.

I'm really hoping for a 2D side scroller Metroid for the 3DS that isn't 100% linear and can offer lots of exploration.

Stevens94

Inkling
NNID
Jakey-Stevens
It really is about time they revealed a new Metroid game. E3 2015 hype?!
I'm pinning my hopes on a Prime 4, or something in a similar vein.

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
Hoping for a new Metroid game at E3 2015. I don't really care about what kind of Metroid game they make, I just want Nintendo to show that they can still make a good Metroid game.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Federation Force is.. wow.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Federation Force is.. wow.
The game wasn't released yet. No point in saying it is or isn't this or that.

I know it is getting a lot of negativity, but if the game has a great soundtrack and fun gameplay, I am sold.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
How did I miss this? I'm a huge Metroid Buff! If anything I know quite a bit about the series. It's fun and entertaining by my standards~

I'm looking forward to a new proper Metroid game. None of this crap with Federation Force.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
I'm going to try and enjoy the game the same way I enjoyed Hunters.

If nothing else, 4 player co-op guarantees some shenanigans with friends.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'm going to try and enjoy the game the same way I enjoyed Hunters.

If nothing else, 4 player co-op guarantees some shenanigans with friends.
I played Hunters once!
Multiplayer only, it was okay, might've been better if I'd had more time with it.
Hopefully Federation Force'll have good multiplayer too.
Hell, I'm hopeful that Federation Force'll be good all-around, it seems interesting. And Nintendo's proven that they can make a fun multiplayer shooter (do I need to say which one?), as well as an enjoyable single-player game from a first-person perspective (Metroid Prime, as well as 2, and I've heard 3 is great too), so I'm confident they'll pull it off.

I'd personally be more interested in a strategy game with this sort of concept (maybe it's just me, but it might be cool to see Federation army and maybe spaceships versus Space Pirates / all the Metroid forms / Phazon & Dark Samus / the Ing from Echoes, maybe with the ability to call in Samus for backup if you're getting wrecked), but I'm looking forward to Federation Force as it is as well.

As for Metroids I've played, I've played all of them except Prime 3, Hunters, Pinball and Other M.
I liked Metroid II: Return of Samus as a kid until I got hopelessly lost. The original Metroid is one I haven't played much, but it's good for when it was made. I prefer Zero Mission though, feels like a great updating of a classic. Fusion was great for the second Metroid I ever played, and I still like it, though I wish they'd follow it up, if only so we can see the Fusion Suit in 3D. Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games ever, though I need to finish it one of these days. Prime 2 was good, maybe better than the original, though back then I was too scared of Bloggs to go into Torvus Bog so I never finished it, so I dunno. I need to do that someday, if I ever find my GameCube. Never played Prime 3, but I've heard good things. Hunters I covered near the start of this post. Never wanted to play Prime Pinball, I don't like pinball all that much. Other M... Well, the gameplay looks solid (though it looks a bit too easy with that dodge move, but I haven't played so I dunno), though I didn't care for the story from what I've seen of it (so much narration).

I heard something about a Metroid Dread a long time back, is that still a thing?

On a final note, do you think we'll ever see a game that takes place after Fusion? Because I'd really like to see that.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Metroid Dread was supposed to be that Fusion sequel, which is what I'm most interested in. They haven't continued the story in like 14 years. At this point, I don't care if its a sidescroller or FPA, but I want to see that story continued.

Though at this point I think a first-person game would be better at world-building and would be more marketable, and could take advantage of the NX whenever its released. Plus I'd love to see some story from the non-Prime games in first-person, just makes it so immersive.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
so i'm guessing this isn't the place to say that I actually enjoy other M is it
oh well i haven't played a ton of the first metroid but i have played all but prime 2 i enjoy prime the best (not for the reasons you think i like it), fusion, then other M but i have always loved the idea of becoming stronger and the metroid games do make you slowly become stronger, ridley is always a treat to fight prime was definitely the hardest for me (and no i don't want him for smash). So looking forward to federation forces and what ever metroid game that comes out

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
so i'm guessing this isn't the place to say that I actually enjoy other M is it
I hate plenty of popular games and like many that people can't stand. So long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

I'd like to see a remake of Metroid II with a little more story and world-building put in it. I mean, the whole game revolves around Samus "The Hunter" tracking down and wiping out the apex predator of the universe. Super Metroid given the Prime treatment could also be quite an experience.

I'm on the fence about FPS Metroid. I loved the MP Trilogy, but I also loved how much freedom of movement and exploration that the platformers gave. They were designed with sequence breaking in mind, which meant that there was almost no limit to how a person could customize their gameplay experience if they had enough skill and mastery of the game's mechanics.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
Haha, l like how the game has such a terrible reputation people are ashamed to say they liked Other M. It's not that big of a deal, it's just a videogame.

That being said, l'm still not sure what this game's appeal is supposed to be. It's certainly not for Metroid fans as it's ridiculously linear with boring level design and a gameplay mechanic (the authorization system) that runs contrary to what defines Metroid. It's not for action game fans as the combat is mind numbingly repetitive and simplistic, with zero depth and nuances compared to games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, every Platinum game, or even more action adventure titles like God of War or Darksiders. Heck even on the Wii something like Pandora's Tower has more interesting combat. It's not for fans of narrative based games as the story is nonsensical, full of unlikable characters, with plotholes everywhere.

So really what's the appeal of Other M? l know Samus is fast and agile again and that's cool but surely that's not enough to make up for all the shortcomings?

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Haha, l like how the game has such a terrible reputation people are ashamed to say they liked Other M. It's not that big of a deal, it's just a videogame.

That being said, l'm still not sure what this game's appeal is supposed to be. It's certainly not for Metroid fans as it's ridiculously linear with boring level design and a gameplay mechanic (the authorization system) that runs contrary to what defines Metroid. It's not for action game fans as the combat is mind numbingly repetitive and simplistic, with zero depth and nuances compared to games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, every Platinum game, or even more action adventure titles like God of War or Darksiders. Heck even on the Wii something like Pandora's Tower has more interesting combat. It's not for fans of narrative based games as the story is nonsensical, full of unlikable characters, with plotholes everywhere.

So really what's the appeal of Other M? l know Samus is fast and agile again and that's cool but surely that's not enough to make up for all the shortcomings?
I actually don't mind the attempt made with Other M. But as it's stated, there is an insurmountable amount of flaws with the game that make it less enjoyable. It's one of those things where a game the preceded it would look a lot better. In this case, Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. Other M's main issues are forced Linearity, Heavy plotholes in story elements that cannot be waved off by good game mechanics, and purposeful oversexualization of Samus. The last one will make a lot of you go 'huh?' because of the fact that Samus has been sexualized to some extent since her conception as a character. The difference with this game is that a lot of camera shots of Samus while in her Zero Suit are all *** shots mostly. Not to mention the over exaggerated proportions. In the games before it, sure you saw here in her suit or basic outfit that showed skin, but she head confidence and didn't have the proportions that Other M uses. This same basic model from Other M is used for SSB U. I could go one with this, but I think you get the point. The story elements are non-existent half the time and when there is story, it's a mess of convoluted non-sense. I get they were trying to take from the Manga, but this was played off horribly if there was any intention in that. The connections to Fusion were blatantly obvious too. The game mechanics are heavily flawed though there are still some interesting concepts that could of been expanded upon more. The controls were wonky and times and the ability to move was taken from you in first person. That pretty much is a middle finger to the Prime series and it's players right there. The aforementioned authorization and weapon authorization had it's purposes, but it made me and long with a lot of people question it. The worst timing of authorization is when you are in the Pyrosphere and when you come across a mini-boss, Adam then says "Oh, now would be a good time to use the Varia Suit." I understand it was to bring more challenge to the table, but getting to that point was needlessly tedious.

Last edited:

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I can appreciate the authorization system as an attempt at explaining 'well why doesn't Samus just have all her stuff from the last game', but it was pretty terribly executed. Some rewriting could have saved it somewhat, if Samus had been hired specifically to work under Adam's command rather than just kind of happening to or if there was a clearer reason for her to not start with something like the Varia suit which does nothing but protect here more then maybe, but honestly I think the throwaway 'well something hit her really hard' from the primes or the 'we're just not gonna mention it' of older games all worked fine.

The whole bonus ending sequence where you're in the zero suit for no reason is also REALLY OBNOXIOUS.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I get they were trying to take from the Manga, but this was played off horribly if there was any intention in that.
Of all the elements they could have taken from the comics/graphic novels/manga, they picked Adam to cling to? They couldn't have done a game about her time with the Chozo, which, from the perspective of the original games, made her into the person she is now? That would have been far more compatible with the game canon in terms of character development, more interesting for fans as it expands on what the Chozo were like, and could still incorporate many elements that were shoehorned into Other M. What's worse is, they completely contradicted her character development where she actually manages to deal with her PTSD. She manages to overcome a very serious mental challenge, and Other M is like "lol jk."

The worst timing of authorization is when you are in the Pyrosphere and when you come across a mini-boss, Adam then says "Oh, now would be a good time to use the Varia Suit." I understand it was to bring more challenge to the table, but getting to that point was needlessly tedious.
I can appreciate the authorization system as an attempt at explaining 'well why doesn't Samus just have all her stuff from the last game', but it was pretty terribly executed. Some rewriting could have saved it somewhat, if Samus had been hired specifically to work under Adam's command rather than just kind of happening to or if there was a clearer reason for her to not start with something like the Varia suit which does nothing but protect here more then maybe, but honestly I think the throwaway 'well something hit her really hard' from the primes or the 'we're just not gonna mention it' of older games all worked fine
They could have found a better way to work that, honestly. Samus has been re-collecting her gear in virtually every game, to the point where players expect it. You actually have to make a deliberate effort to get Metroid fans say "wait, what?" when you deny Samus her full arsenal. A bump on the head making Samus forget she had her upgrades would have been a better explanation.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I can appreciate the authorization system as an attempt at explaining 'well why doesn't Samus just have all her stuff from the last game', but it was pretty terribly executed. Some rewriting could have saved it somewhat, if Samus had been hired specifically to work under Adam's command rather than just kind of happening to or if there was a clearer reason for her to not start with something like the Varia suit which does nothing but protect here more then maybe, but honestly I think the throwaway 'well something hit her really hard' from the primes or the 'we're just not gonna mention it' of older games all worked fine.
The issue with that, along with the huge plot hole, is that she isn't under command of the Galactic Federation any more than two times throughout the series. She runs of her free accord for the most part. I personally say something along the line of Super Metroid's item on/off system for the suit is to be the reason for it. Though I also greatly agree with Black Zero on this too.

The whole bonus ending sequence where you're in the zero suit for no reason is also REALLY OBNOXIOUS.
It's another example of what I said earlier about Samus's oversexualization in Other M. They did that bonus segment, just to get a few more *** shots in before the end. It's pathetic really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom