• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Misconceptions About Splatoon 3

Cephalobro

I felt like I needed to make a thread for this since not only there are already misconceptions about the game already out there, I know that there will be more misconceptions coming as not only more information about the game surfaces but also release and post-release misconceptions as well.

The first misconception I saw being spread around is that the upside-down tower seen in the trailer is the Inkopolis Tower. Well, it's actually NOT Inkopolis Tower since, for one, Splatoon 3 doesn't take place in Inkopolis at all and secondly, the tower could be the Eiffel Tower or its replica made during human times, as replicas of famous landmarks exist in other places in real life.

Now here is a bigger one: the removal of genders. Gender wasn't really removed, they only removed the hairstyle and legwear locks for customization so players have even more customization options to choose from. It's just the wording that was removed, plus, none of the games ever explicitly said "Choose a gender", the only change is that the male and female body-types aren't named anymore.

800px-Gender.jpg

800px-Octolings_Player_Settings_Customization.png

800px-Octo_Expansion_Gender_Selection.png

800px-Style_choose_S3.jpg

I know that more misconceptions will come up in the future, but these two seem to be the only ones for now.

pio_dov

Pro Squid
Here's a new one you've probably heard about: The whole Daft Punk thing. I have pretty much no clue who Daft Punk are (since I don't listen to modern music), but they are definitely not going to be Splatoon 3's idols. They're humans for crying out loud, and even if they're somehow alive in like 2019 Mollusk Era, Nintendo would totally get copyrighted.

Cephalobro

Here's a new one you've probably heard about: The whole Daft Punk thing. I have pretty much no clue who Daft Punk are (since I don't listen to modern music), but they are definitely not going to be Splatoon 3's idols. They're humans for crying out loud, and even if they're somehow alive in like 2019 Mollusk Era, Nintendo would totally get copyrighted.
Yeah, I never understood why people think that a literal real-world band (one that broke up no less) would appear in Splatoon when the Splatoon team already composes music resembling those made by bands.

DJHyperling

Inkling
There is one where some people think the story mode is at the beginning, but that would be no fun. Most people think you have to complete the story mode to play the rest, and that just diminishes the entire purpose of the Splatoon franchise.

Cephalobro

There is one where some people think the story mode is at the beginning, but that would be no fun. Most people think you have to complete the story mode to play the rest, and that just diminishes the entire purpose of the Splatoon franchise.
Yeah, I highly doubt the story mode starts as soon as you start the game for the first time. There is always a tutorial and hub area before any of the modes are played.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Nintendo sure knows how to rile up their fanbase, huh? They released one trailer with no actual gameplay or concrete information 2 months ago and that's all it took to root it in fan's minds and prompt discussion.

Anything is subject to change since we just have that trailer to go off of and the game is a minimum of 8 months away, so conceptions of any kind seem a little off to me currently. Speculation is fine of course, but still.

Cephalobro

Well, here is one misconception that has cropped up that can get annoying. It's the fact that some believe that Splatoon 3 has been delayed. This is all because the Switch Force channel did an April Fools video about the game getting delayed. But well, here's the thing: Splatoon 3 didn't receive a release date yet! Now off course, it's still possible for Splatoon 3 to be delayed (and I actually think it's a good thing for the delay to happen so the game can receive as much polish as possible) but the game didn't receive a set release date yet, which is a sign that the developers aren't ready to set a specific deadline yet.

The only way we'll know the game is closer to being released is when the first Splatoon 3 Testfire is hosted by Nintendo. The purpose of the Testfire is to well, test the game's online feature so big issues like delayed latency can be fixed before the actual release.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Well, here is one misconception that has cropped up that can get annoying. It's the fact that some believe that Splatoon 3 has been delayed. This is all because the Switch Force channel did an April Fools video about the game getting delayed. But well, here's the thing: Splatoon 3 didn't receive a release date yet! Now off course, it's still possible for Splatoon 3 to be delayed (and I actually think it's a good thing for the delay to happen so the game can receive as much polish as possible) but the game didn't receive a set release date yet, which is a sign that the developers aren't ready to set a specific deadline yet.

The only way we'll know the game is closer to being released is when the first Splatoon 3 Testfire is hosted by Nintendo. The purpose of the Testfire is to well, test the game's online feature so big issues like delayed latency can be fixed before the actual release.
If I may I actually just came here in hopes to kinda let out my own thoughts, and I'd like to add on. While yes it'd be great if we had more than what we've already had since the announcement of the game being developed and all, it's been annoying me how riled up people are about delays and bad marketing and wanting new information. And I say this for something that seems to me to be a backbone of Splatoon: Patterns/Rules/Routine. The series is filled with patterns or rules or routines, including the release of information leading up to a game's release.

Splatoon: Announcement, Single-Player, Direct, Release
Splatoon 2: Announcement, Single-Player, Salmon Run, Direct, Release
Splatoon 3: Announcement, Single-Player, Salmon Run

Not to mention one of the rules of this routine is the majority of information for the game remains hidden until the Splatoon Direct, the hub (as in a tour and in-depth look, not what we see in reveal trailers), idols, vendors, Splatfests, etc. It's just been much more spaced out than we've seen before, and we need to have patience. Right now we're at the stage of waiting for a Splatoon Direct according to this routine, and then we'll be given so much information that we've been eagerly waiting for. Something else I just learned looking at the Directs' release dates out of curiosity, both of them released about two or three weeks before the game's release. If that too is a pattern, then it's safe to say that when we get a Direct, the game releases 2-3 weeks afterwards. Or the reverse if we get the game release date first. I admit I ignored the Global Testfires in this pattern, but a someone who's never had a chance to participate in one, I also admit I don't have too much thought about the Testfires. Nonetheless, I just wish the community would have more patience. I thought Splatoon 3 was gonna release in March when it was initially announced, but I am happily patient for some news to eventually pop up whenever it does.

Last edited:

wink

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1676-1715-3794
Splatoon: Announcement, Single-Player, Direct, Release
Splatoon 2: Announcement, Single-Player, Salmon Run, Direct, Release
Splatoon 3: Announcement, Single-Player, Salmon Run
This is an interesting pattern you caught on to, I never noticed! Though, I would argue it's less of a strict pattern of Splatoon's and more of a natural progression for any game leading up to release (Announcement, Core Gameplay Feature, Extra Feature, "All-Encompassing" Announcement, Release). Similar patterns can be seen in other games, e.g. Pokemon XY's major trailers went something like Announcement, Gameplay Trailers, Extra Feature (Mega Evolution), Release. Regardless, I think this is a good way to predict upcoming information! I have a feeling we'll get some more info in May or June due to the summer release date. Also...

it's been annoying me how riled up people are about delays and bad marketing and wanting new information
I agree! Like Cephalobro, I really wouldn't mind delays. I hate that overworking employees is such a big problem in the industry and I really want everyone involved in the creation process to take as much time as they need to produce a good game while maintaining a healthy personal life. >_<

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Though, I would argue it's less of a strict pattern of Splatoon's and more of a natural progression for any game leading up to release (Announcement, Core Gameplay Feature, Extra Feature, "All-Encompassing" Announcement, Release). Similar patterns can be seen in other games, e.g. Pokemon XY's major trailers went something like Announcement, Gameplay Trailers, Extra Feature (Mega Evolution), Release.
Good point. I was strictly thinking of Splatoon, just because I was also strictly thinking about other patterns of Splatoon that I really like. I'm the type of person who likes picking up on patterns and such, and I've been picking up on more and more within Splatoon recently. But nonetheless that is a good point.

Regardless, I think this is a good way to predict upcoming information! I have a feeling we'll get some more info in May or June due to the summer release date. Also...
Thank you and I agree. Especially after the Direct release dates I noticed. I feel as soon as we get the date for one of them, we'll be able to predict the date for the other. And at this rate, I think I feel the Direct's release date will come before the game's. I can't really defend why, I just do.

I agree! Like Cephalobro, I really wouldn't mind delays. I hate that overworking employees is such a big problem in the industry and I really want everyone involved in the creation process to take as much time as they need to produce a good game while maintaining a healthy personal life. >_<
Could not agree with you more. Especially given the past two years and the pandemic, the entire world has just had obstacles thrown into our faces left and right. A lot could have happened to cause potential delays, big or small. I can wait a little longer for my favorite game to release if it means production can live a healthy life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom