• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

-Missing- IC Thread: RP Cast Filled

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn and @Hesoca
Wade and Max ==> Go To: Metallic Screeching Tunnel

"Better keep up, then. I ain't slowing down if you all stagger behind."

At Max’s behest, the group--Jax, seemingly indifferent, and Wade in agreement--took a sharp turn to the left in pursuit of the odd sound.

Sure enough, as the trio went down the pathway, the noise got more poignant. More grating. Their flashlights each aimed down the pathway converged in unison on something slick and slimy.

As they got closer, the source of the noise became clearer. Ten worm-like, glossy tendrils were pressed up against the surface of the tunnel, equidistant from each other, working like muscled limbs to hold up a cylindrical piece of biotechnology: a drilling machine. But this time, it was operational.

The smell of dank earth filled the air with rot and must. Those fleshy appendages undulating as their muscles rotated the tool, boring out the earth, sending dirt flying everywhere.

Through the dusty air, the group could see the back of the machine. Upon it was a panel, solid steel, protecting the internal workings from the debris it was flinging everywhere.

The group began to cough, but that was drowned out by the sheer decibel intensity of the equipment. Jax pointed toward the machine once he realized that no one could hear him saying… something. What could he want?

What now?

@Banshee

Alga ==> ~~Hold Back Tears~~ go to: home
==> go to: home
==> please let me go home

This was all too much. The action, the sudden mystery, the danger, the new friends, the loss of one of them. It was just too much.

Alga just wanted to go home. She wanted to be in her bed. She wanted to eat something with her grandparents. What were they doing now? They were probably worried.

Her breathing got heavier and harder. Her blood was pumping, but not with adrenaline. This was a more overwhelming feeling. A type of fear. There was so much bigger than her. There was so much that could happen to her.

Alga was about to squeak out something about going home when Felix said, “nah. Ya ain’t in no position ta ‘elp us. Ya should stay ‘ere. We’ll figure out wha’ ta do wit’cha after we get back. ‘ang tight, Puddle.”

A sigh of relief. And back to the blur.

She was alone. She knew that. Somehow she got herself back to her room. This bed would do. For now. But she wanted to be home. Where she knew it was safe. Where there wouldn’t be all these expectations.

She crawled in. It was soon warm. It felt safer.

Tucked in her covers was the book she had taken from the Squid Sisters’ library only a day ago. She found herself clutching it. Hugging it tight. It was something to hold, at least.

What now, Alga?

@Rustic

Canchi and It ==> Talk

"Uh... can you get the shell out of my head?" He asked aloud, wiping his hand on his jacket.

"Uh... no?" the voice responded. "Funny how you'd tell the only real part of you to 'get out of your head.' I am your head numbnut! And your body and every other part of you!"

It was right. It was wrong. Canchi was sure he wasn't sure which. The
truth was no longer with him.

Canchi shook his head, clearly the voice doesn't have any manners. Then again, he didn't exactly ask It with manners in mind.

But he wondered about Its statement, "Wait, what do you mean by the only 'real part' of me?" He asked, "and you're not me, you're someone else, and this body's meant for this kid and this kid only."

"I meant what I meant what I meant," the voice replied. "I'm real, and nothing else is. Not that floor, not that ink I noticed, not those jars of people. None of it. Not to you. Not to me,” It huffed. “I'm real. Obviously."

No. Manners. At. All.

What was most worrying, though, was that as the voice spoke, he noticed two things. It wasn't just in his head as he'd believed. He was speaking aloud. It was speaking aloud.

Not only that, the voice was moving his body to accentuate what It said... just as Canchi would. But it wasn't him. He wasn't doing it.

It's not real. It can't be.

No. No. This isn't right, not in the freaking slightest.

He vaguely recalled seeing everything else before he even had the voice. The glass containers, the stones, the essences of all those people. Canchi knew that he saw everything, but maybe that book was influencing everything he saw before then.

It wasn't him, It can't be him. He was him, It was It. Simple, but things simply weren't going to be that way, weren't they. Canchi groaned, slouching a bit as he lamented the... person? Him? It? Whatever, the thing inside him now.

"Well, where are we then?" He asked.

"Why does it matter?" his own mouth answered. "This is just one more thing that isn't real. Not to you."

He could feel himself rolling his eyes. "If you really care... maybe think about where you were beforehand. Then think about the person who gave you this," it went on, twirling the gun around his finger, "said about you being in danger. Which also doesn't matter now."

"Maybe connect one dot. And another dot. And then maybe there's a picture??" He waved his hand at a sky it seemed to be pretending was there. "Then maybe you'll realize what you're trying to figure out. Not. That. It. Matters. None of it's real. Not to you."

> Unfamiliar Feeling (Charismatics + Savvy)
> Modifiers: What the-- (-3)
> Base Pool 7 ==> Dice Pool 4
> 2 Successes...?

As it explained... Canchi could feel something odd. Not the other... thing inside him. It was his body. His finger, the one that had just moments ago been twirling the gun, seemed less... there. He could see through it. And with it, the gun seemed less... real.

It didn't change in how it looked. It didn't change in what it felt like. It was just something he /knew./ Then gun wasn't as real as it should have been. His finger was less real than his hand.

Well. Yup. He was losing it.

"Well, other me, if none of this isn't real. Then that door clearly isn't real," Canchi said, walking towards the door.

"Let's go," he added, twirling his gun in the air.

"It kind of works like that. It kinda doesn't work like that," it told him. Putting the gun away, Canchi reached out to the door. First, with the hand he felt was 'real.'

"No, no, no," his voice said, "no, it doesn't work like that. Let me show you." And outside his control, his other hand, with the 'unreal' fingers reached forward.

And his fingers simply phased through.

"I wouldn't go in there though," it told him. "That room is as real as it gets. The more you read, the more reality will accept you. Or reject you. After all, it already has. Oh well."

Canchi pulled his fingers back, looking from them, to the door, then back to his fingers. They were 'real' again. That he could tell.

Well that was pointless.

At least it's simply in control of his body and not projecting any actual form. Now that'd be sketchy, Canchi thought, hoping that it didn't know what he was thinking.

It was a comforting thought, but he wanted to put this to the test one more time.

"Sure, sure. Now get out of me," and without any prior warning. Canchi stuffed his hand into his mouth to attempt to throw up this unwanted visitor. He threw up all that ink, maybe it was his ink and someone else just holed up inside after it was done.

He gurgled. It gurgled. Pulling on something, he involuntarily gagged and puked. Acid. Nothing else. Whatever ink had come out before was... unnatural.

But with the acid also came his hand and It spoke again. "No, no, no. I don't leave. You don't leave. I'm real. Capishe?"

... It didn't seem to be trying to hurt him per se. It didn't try to hit him, or actively hamper him. But... It wasn't him. And It wasn't going.

"Yeah, if you're so real. Then what's my Mom's maiden name?"

And while he hit It with that, he knew he was gonna regret this. But he went straight to the malfunctioning door and stuck his 'unreal' hand in between it.

This was gonna suck.

"Spira," It answered, immediately. "And you can keep going. I know. You know. I know you know. Do as you do."

And... it left. Well. It was there. It wasn't going away. It had always been there. But it wasn't him. He was him.

... He jammed his hand against the door, the one that he knew to be partially 'unreal.' But as he began, he heard an alarm go off.

Something might have noticed he was here. Or Orange was here. His fingers were in the door, clear as day, but he wasn't sure he was getting any more.

The moment he was unsure, he pulled his hand out, and 'reality' returned to it.

"Are you for eel?" Canchi groaned, slouching somewhat after hearing the alarm. Which in all honesty, was probably gonna happen sooner or later.

He just wished it was later.

Like really later. The alarm wasn't helping things at all.

"Shoot, what now..." Canchi got into a ready stance, pulling out his gun on instinct. He hoped the voice in his head had something to it besides Its comebacks.

"I don't care," It responded. "None of it's real. None of it matters. Not to you, not to me."

So... nothing. Alright then. Canchi knew there was only one entrance here: the elevator. There was still the unmarked door and the air vent. Either could lead to some sort of escape. But... the Squid Sisters were still here.

What now indeed?

@VeryButter

Mag ==> Go To: Kitchen

The kitchen was clean, at least. There, things were as Mag remembered them, in the places they were supposed to be. Maybe her father just hadn’t gotten to her room yet?

In any case, she began aimlessly opening cupboards. Half because she wanted to eat something, half because it was just instinct. By the time she got to the fridge, she had taken a mental note of all the things that she could eat. Unlike usual though, most things actually seemed pretty viable options.

There was some yogurt, some leftover meatloaf from yesterday, a lot of random gummy-like foods--some she was pretty sure were vitamins--cheese and crackers, some salami, a few raw vegetables, some frozen meat, noodles of a few different kinds, far too much
CHR-BRU, heck, even the spices looked pretty good on their own…

There was probably more, but that was just at a cursory glance. I guess what’s your next plan Mag?

((Have any questions? Did I misrepresent your character? Contact me via PM or Discord. Otherwise, please mind the deadline.))

Reminders:

Posts are Due: Sept 1st
Gm Post will be Made: Sept 2nd

Will be Responded to in GM Post:
Do Nothing [sit back and let the story happen; useful when it would be dangerous to do things]
Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]
Sleep [use this when there's nothing left you can do, logically, in the day]
Follow [use this to just keep together with a party member or let an NPC take the lead]
Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
Talk [use on people you want to start a conversation with]
Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]

Will be Responded to Immediately:
Conceal [use this action on something you intend to hide on your person]
Pick Up [use this action on something you want to hold onto]
Examine/Observe [use on things that you want more details on]
Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]

Search For [use like examine but for things that may or may not be there]
Hide [Insert Applicable Preposition] [use to conceal oneself, usually for a short amount of time]

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Through her life, Alga found a few things which she enjoyed far more than others. At the top of that list was guitar playing. Following at a close second was reading. She couldn't explain it too well; it was just so easy to get lost in a story, to forget everything happening around her in the midst of something far more intriguing.

As she looked down at the book in her arms, she remembered the reason for her fondness for reading more clearly than ever. She could have just fallen asleep, of course - Squid knew she was tired - but it would leave her far too much time to think. And thinking was really not something she wanted to be doing right now. No, what she wanted to do was forget.

Rubbing her eyes, she turned so that she was on her stomach with the book in front of her in a mimicry of yesterday and cracked the book open to the last page she could remember herself reading from before falling asleep. Something about the worship of one of the Deep Ones...

Read: Book

Hesoca

Full Squid
Gods... this was what that drill could do?

At the head of the group, Max stood dead in the debris and chaos, glaring down the ear-splitting machinery drilling with his goggles on and his lower face covered by the crease of his arm. Even for him, the assault was numbing; not a single sense could stand to the combination of corruptions escaping from that machine.

Between coughs, his focus centered on the drill's undulation. In the past, he'd heard stories of the products formed by Octoling megalomania. Yet seeing such beasts in real life, witnessing firsthand the frenetic movements of those disgusting horrors, felt like something out of his own nightmares.

He swallowed hard, his stomach twisting. To his left, Jax was motioning at the machine, mouthing something he could barely make out as words. How useful. He could completely understand what Jax was referring to. Absolutely.

(Unofficial Roll)
> Passive Perception (Savvy + Academics)
> Modifiers: Common Tool (+1)
> Base Pool 6 ==> Dice Pool 7
> Successes 5
how the fudge

...Ugh. To shell with this. He didn't have the time nor patience to play charades.

With an inaudible grumble, Max fumbled in jacket pocket with a free hand, producing a well-worn shellphone, and, after a bout of furious typing, shoved the phone at Jax's face. On the screen read a message, in bolded caps:

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING

Talk: Jax

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Magabelle stared into the fridge and leaned her head against the door of it. Looking over everything and checking her mental list of what she saw, she was tempted to try and cook something up, but, frankly, she was too lazy to make more than two steps between her and food right now.

So, quickly checking what wasn't readily edible off the list, she grabbed the salami and put it on the bench, then two carrots—wait, three—which followed the meaty item to the benchtop. As she was about to place the third carrot onto the bench, she looked back at the fridge, and, figuring why not, placed the carrot down and grabbed the meatloaf out, searching for a white ceramic plate; then, when found, she put it down next to the meatloaf, grabbed a carrot again, put the meatloaf on the plate, took a bite of the carrot, opened the microwave, put the meatloaf in, set it to 30 seconds, took another bite of the carrot, then when the fridge started beeping she went to close it.

She spent the time waiting for the meatloaf to heat up opening the salami, managing to only after she finished the first carrot, then, after swallowing the last of the carrot, she took a bite of the salami and waited, gnawing down on that whilst doing so.

Eat: Carrot (x3), Salami, Leftover Meatloaf (After Re-Heat)

Rustic

Inkling Commander
(( CONCH IS NOT COMING. ))

Canchi slowly stood normally after seeing that nothing was headed his way and aiming at his face with a gun.

Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would've been, he thought, although he knew that if nothing was headed his way, then maybe his eyes were playing tricks on him. If that stupid voice in his head was any indicator, it was probably messing around with his vision.

Quickly, Canchi wiped his eyes in an attempt to put his vision back in order.
...All that did was make his eyes watery from the ferocity he had rubbed his eyes with.

He did feel like crying though, although that was more or less regret-crying and not actual sad crying. Regret in that he read that book and contracted It into his head, that and the sudden downward pitch into on what was 'real' and what wasn't 'real'. All of it really conflicted in him.

He was real, he was sure of it. It wasn't real, he was sure of it.

"No, I'm real, how many times do I have to tell you? Everything else isn't real," It kept telling him whenever he felt like saying something, insisting Its view. It felt so weird and wrong to him, to have another thing use his mouth to say things he didn't want to hear. The walls were real, because otherwise he'd just go through them, and the ground...

The ground seemed tempting, making him want to just sit down and curl into a ball and cry after his recent bad decisions. In fact, that was exactly what he did.

[Cry on the ground.]

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Aykorn and @Hesoca
Wade and Max ==> Talk

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?

Max wrote, catching Jax's attention. A light of realization flashed in his eyes as he pulled out his own phone and wrote,

-Good idea.
-We should try to analyze this without shutting it off.
-Knowing about their tech could be a strong asset in the future.
- We know far too little about how this biotech works.

Max stared at the screen, too stupefied to blink, before hammering something onto his own phone and holding it back at Jax's face.

what
the fry
areu seeing the same thing
bc all im seeing is a drill w fryin tentacles

He paused, grumbling, before adding,

cant get near it anyway
to much dirt
scumll corrupt us before we can get close

Jax looked at him, confused.

- Corrupt?

Then, judging that Max wasn't going to go near it, changed his messages.

- Well, if you won't get near it, I'd like to borrow your goggles.
- You're right about visibility after all; free-flying dirt is making it hard enough to see as it is.

Jax held out his hand in a gesture suggesting that he wanted the goggles now.

A flurry of something came out of Max's mouth in response. Certainly, there was no way to hear it in the screech of the drill, but the way in which he spoke suggested that it was laden with a stunning variety of profanities.

He took a moment to spit out the dust in his mouth before responding.

FRY NO
use ur own fryin goggles

Jax shrugged.

- I ask because I don't own any.
- But suit yourself.
- I'm not the one losing us valuable information that may be gone tomorrow.

Max could feel him smirking. He wasn't. But he could fryin' feel it.

Even in the cloud of debris, Max's stagger was visible. His gaze sparked with rage, and the anger that normally boiled in his veins seemed to burst through his tentacles, standing them all on their edges.

Don't do it. A thought muttered, barely glimmering through the swarm of unspeakable thoughts running through his head. You know what'll happen.

Spitting again, he shifted on his feet, glaring between Jax, the drill, and the Dynamo resting on his shoulder. Don't do it. You know what'll-

He hammered something into his phone and forced it again at Jax.

howd u do it

Glancing again, he wrote again, this time with cautious typing,

cap'n told me you'd fought them before
the octolings
and the great weapons
but you're not corrupt

He paused.

there's remnants
i can see them
specks
but you're not one of them
how'd you do it

> Rolling for Empathy (Charisma + Savvy)
> Modifiers: The Heck is He Talking About (-3)
> Base Pool 12 ==> Dice Pool 9
> 3 Successes

Jax looked at Max, his face as blank as his demeanor. He typed out a long message. Finally, he held it up. It was hard to say what he looked like as he did. Proud? Embarrassed? Conflicted? Whatever, the case, it read:

- I did what I had to. I believed in what I thought was right. I moved forward despite factors that conflicted with my worldviews. I fought for my truth. I fought for a future I believed was a better one. If you fight without giving up that which is truly important to you, then you can avoid any corruption. It's cheesy. But it's what I believe kept me sane.

Jax looked Max in the eye one last time. Then, he began to work his way toward the drill.

... leaving him to stand silent in the whistling debris, staring with solemn bewilderment at the place where Jax had stood.

It wasn't right, what he'd said. It couldn't be. Jax wouldn't say those words. Jax, who'd tried to blackmail him at the tower. Jax, who'd beaten him into a half-puddle when he wouldn't comply. Jax, who'd had the fryin' vanity to offer him training with Max's own Dynamo in his hands in some generous bout of pity.

His gaze gravitated toward the drill, still tunneling, still ear-splittingly loud. It wasn't right, what he'd said. "Conflicted with my worldviews" -- what the shell did he mean? That he didn't want to fight? That he couldn't? What kind of hero disagreed with their own heroics? Why... why would he...

In the dust ahead, Jax's form blurred; with a muted shout, Max called him back. Shell... it couldn't be right, what he'd said, could it? Strength. Determination. Were those really the panacea to the corruption? Was it... was it really belief?

If you fight without giving up that which is truly important to you, then you can avoid any corruption. The words echoed in the back of his head. He watched, his hand falling to his side in a clenched fist.

Fight without giving up.

"...ey!" The shout cut through the noise of the drill. With a sudden pivot, Max darted forward, cutting through Jax's path... and, grinning with fiery heroism, pulled his goggles from his head and presented them to Jax in an open hand.

take them
belief wont keep you from going blind

Squinting through the dust and typing excitedly, he added:

check the inner area
me and chargerll take the sides

Jax turned back. He took the goggles. He smiled.

- Let's do this.

Jax contemplated how to reveal the inner workings. After putting on the goggles, the Inkling set his flashlight down in a strategic position, so that the drill would be lit but that was only the beginning.

It was undulating, its movements difficult for any sort of precision strike. That's where Max and Wade came in. Jax motioned for them to take the sides, miming out a grapple.

They made their way to the drill to disable the tool and create an opening at Jax’s direction.

> Max:
> Create an opening (Athletics + Dexterity)
> Modifiers: No Vision -6
> Base Pool 11 ==> Dice Pool 5
> 4 Successes

Perhaps not having to see made it easier on Max. All he had to do was focus on the massive, writhing flagellum, then tackle, impairing the movement of the machine.

> Wade:
> Create an opening (Athletics + Dexterity)
> Modifiers: No Vision -6
> Base Pool 10 ==> Dice Pool 4
> 3 Successes

He couldn't see the kid, but he could feel the drill was held down somewhere else. Maybe, just maybe, he was pulling his weight. Finally.

Jax, seeing his teammates pinning the tendrils of the massive drill, made his move. He wasn't letting this go to waste.

> Investigate the drill. (Academics + Dexterity)
> Modifiers: Impaired Vision -2, +3 Successes for Wade and Max's Help
> Base Pool 12 ==> Dice Pool 10
> 5 Successes (+3 from teammates)

Moving quickly, before the drill recalibrated--or whatever it might do to return to drilling--Jax made a dash for the drill panel. Pulling out an ink knife, he made a calculated strike at a crevasse.

The strike could not be too deep. If this was a living thing, he would risk enraging it... and tossing his partners about the tunnel. If it wasn't, there was still a high risk of damaging important circuitry.

On the other hand, he had to strike deep enough to get in between the panel and the rest of the protective plating.

There was only one shot.

And it was... acceptable.

A little too deep. The biodrill did not shriek, nor did it howl, but it did shudder. All three were sent flying, colliding with the walls of the tunnel jarringly.

But not fatally.

And not in vain.

Jax had struck his target and, in being knocked back, had pried the panel clean off the back of the drill...

...revealing a beating heart.

Wade scrambled to upright himself, shaking dirt out of his face. He coughed a few times, before pulling his bandana back over his mouth, then trying to peer through the darkness and settling dust clouds.

The panel had flown off somewhere, but what had Jax hit to get them thrown off like that? Aiming a beam towards the drill, Wade's eyes widened at the internal workings of the drill.

Wade looked at the panel highlighted by his flashlight. The sight was an odd one. Here, inside the machine, was a beating heart.

He'd known that the Octarians used biotech, but he'd never considered that the insides might, in fact, work just like another organism.

It was hypnotic. A heart pumping ink throughout this machine...

But why was there a panel there? Panels imply that something is meant to be removed, checked on, quick access for repairs or...

Was this heart something detachable? Could they throw in a replacement heart?

Theories bounced around Wade's head, but nothing seemed to be fully clear. It didn't help he was rattled from being tossed aside like a ragdoll.

Well, they'd managed to tear a panel off the drill. Now what?

Wade figured they were keeping the drill "alive" to keep trying to learn something out about it, but he didn't exactly know what options that left them. The drill was still going, and the tentacles still writhing, ...the heart still beating...

Ugh. The technology was undeniably advanced but it made his skin crawl.

It wasn't impervious, especially exposed now, but the drill was still... too toothy for comfort. It obviously didn't appreciate having its panels torn off either, with how it threw them back...

Wade grimaced. He really didn't want to do that again.

Trying to splat the drill would leave it as useful as the one they'd seen earlier, but it'd stop the drill cold. Did that count for something, or just make a mess?

Now leaving sounds smart, Wade thought, trying to sort out their options. Just stopping the drill temporarily required a finesse that they didn't have on them right nnn--hold on.

The disruptor sub. He'd been dying to use it. If the drill was part ink, it /could/ work, and there was a perfect target.

Wade didn't stop to contemplate what that'd do to an organ; he just sprung to his feet and flung a disruptor at the heart of the machine.

The disruptor struck the heart straight on and the effects were instantaneous. It stopped.

The drilling noise. The undulating tentacles. The heart. It all stopped.

Jax was leering at it, trying to drink in every bit of data. He seemed to be saying something, but everyone's hearing was impaired--the world still seemed to be ringing.

The machine had stopped. There was silence.

It still held to the walls, but for a few precious moments, there was no motion. Maybe there was an opportunity to explore further.

Wade slowly released a held breath. It did work. Maybe too well? But it worked?

They had another window to examine the drill without it moving! If there was anything more to understand about the drill and the biotech, they'd find it now. ...Er, Jax would find it now. Wade was still a bit caught on the whole 'heart' thing, but it was slowly becoming less bizarre of an idea.

The start of an excited smile curved the corners of Wade’s mouth, as his ears caught up to the current noise level.

The air was already less tumultuous without the flying debris. Wade hesitated to move or breathe too loudly, lest his footsteps crunch in the new silence, but he managed a few steps back, still a bit stunned that his intuition for stopping the drill was right on the mark.

Jax looked to Wade, the silence ringing in his ears. He looked to the device. Whatever the goal was before wasn't the case now.

He went up to the machine...

...and poked the heart.

From where Jax touched, the ink changed color to a deep shade of purple. The gradual shift started from the heart, but spread, slowly at first, to encroach upon the whole device.

> Luck Roll
> 0 Successes

Jax removed his hand. The disrupting field was gone. Yet the machine stayed lifeless. Hearing slowly returned to the group.

"I think we have an idea of how it works now," Jax said, staring at the pulsing muscle. “I can feel it trying to communicate to me now. I don’t think I can get it to work though.”

Jax sighed. “They’re going to be here soon. Personally, I want to get out of here, but there are other options. We could stay and try to hide somewhere. This tunnel is pretty long so we’d have some time to prepare. Or, we could try to set an ambush for whatever might come our way. Alternatively, we have the option to try to get this drill working. It’s possible we could make it into a veritable wall of blades if we can turn it around.”

(( Vote: choose an option or suggest another one. We’ll go with the most popular one. ))

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Banshee

ʞooq pɐǝɹ <== ɐƃl∀

Alga got under the covers, found a flashlight, and read the book, where it felt safest. The contents were still rather faded, and she wanted to find where she’d left off, but somehow… well the book seemed to read differently. More faded than before.

She kept turning pages, looking for one that was actually legible. The beginning. The middle. The end. The end was still… something.

The words were… unreadable. Not illegible. Just... unreadable. And yet, Alga knew what they said. The author communicated something about how amazing it was. As if the characters they had copied into the book had a life and will of its own.

And so it appeared.

‘Leave the sheets,’ they commanded. ‘Exit them.’

Heart beating, Alga knew there was no way that that was talking about her. There couldn’t be. But it was far too specific.

… just to be sure, she peeked out of the sheets into the dark room. The light was switched off but there was something wrong here. Taking out her flashlight, she glanced around the room.

There was a desk, as there was before. But her bed was now in the center of the room. Lili’s bed was gone. The light switch was gone. And most worrying: the door was gone.

Alga looked back to the book, but the unreadable words were, like so many other things, gone. The page she was reading was faded.

Alga’s heart was pounding. This… no. This was… no. No no no

@Rustic

canchi ==> cry

Why couldn’t things just make sense. How was it that things could-- How in just a moment-- Just one thing-- A book-- A truth.

The tears he’d tried to hold back burst out. First a sniffle. Then a sob. Then he could feel the tears running down his face. Salty and warm. This was real. “This is real.” He told himself. He felt like it might be himself that said that. But maybe it was
the other.

He choked, involuntary, as he lay on the floor. His chest heaved. He breathing staggered. His vision clouded.

Deep Ones, he was crying. Full on crying.

> Unfamiliar Feeling (Charismatics + Savvy)
> Modifiers: Overwhelming Emotion (+1)
> Base Pool 7 ==> Dice Pool 8
> 3 Successes

Sinking. He could feel himself become less real as he grasped the overwhelming hurt that was assailing him. Hurt. If only it were Mag. If only he hadn’t helped. If only he hadn’t checked out that train. If only he hadn’t read the book. If only he didn’t know a little
truth.

This feeling was real. It was real. And just as he felt its reality, he let some of his own go.

He began to sink into the floor. First his legs. Then his torso. Then his shoulders and his head.

There wasn’t a sensation of falling. That only applies to things that are real. He knew that. It wasn’t even like floating. He just wasn’t. All he was was a bundle of hurt. Of sadness. Of regret.

Somewhere, distantly, he could hear--no, feel--footsteps above him. People seemed to be looking for something. Orange? Or him? Did it matter? He wasn’t real. But he could feel his staggered breathing. He could feel the redness in his eyes.

His eyes? Though blurry, Canchi could see himself in the ground. No. Feel. No… that’s what real things do. He just was in the ground. He knew where he was. It was dark. If he could see it wouldn’t mean anything. He was underground and he was sad and hurt and…

Somewhere, vaguely, he felt a joke. ‘Six feet under.’ Funny. In this dumb situation that was what he was thinking. Underground, incorporeal. ‘Six feet under.’

He laughed. But it wasn’t him. It was
It. He was floating six feet under. Hurt. Laughing. Crying. Giggling.

The footsteps were gone now.

What now?

[5 Quick Actions are Available to you]

@VeryButter

Mag ==> Eat

And so, here she was. Eating.

It was so odd. Yesterday, Mag’d found herself in an underground tunnel helping some white-inked boy find a guitar teacher. Then, one thing led to another, and she ended up splatting in a fight to the death against some businessman.

You’re in danger, she remembered, taking a bite of meatloaf.

That seemed so impossible now though. She was home. She was safe. That was just how things worked. Home is a safe place where nothing happens. There you squabble with your dad. There you squabble with your siblings. If she had any anyway.

You’re in danger, she remembered, finishing the last bite of the last carrot.

Speaking of Dad, where was he? He didn’t seem to be anywhere nearby. The house was clean, but she hadn’t seen him. Was he maybe out looking for her? Maybe he’d gone out to inspect the damage to the city? Or what if…

You’re in danger, she remembered, as she nibbled on a half-eaten salami stick.

...where was her dad?

((Have any questions? Did I misrepresent your character? Contact me via PM or Discord. Otherwise, please mind the deadline.))

Reminders:

Posts are Due: Today
Gm Post will be Made: Curious if you read this before posts are due

Will be Responded to in GM Post:
Do Nothing [sit back and let the story happen; useful when it would be dangerous to do things]
Talk [use on people you want to start a conversation with]
Shadow [use this to try to stealthily follow a target. I'll make rolls on whether you succeed or not]
Ink / Go To ______ [use this to travel from one place to another relatively quickly; ink if it's something specific, like a kettle, Go To if it's a general area]
Call [use on a person that you want to call (talk, but when not in the area)--or a item that has a number on it to contact someone you don't know]
Research [some topic; need to be in a library or have access to a computer--shellphones don't count]
Sleep [use this when there's nothing left you can do, logically, in the day]
Follow [use this to just keep together with a party member or let an NPC take the lead]

Will be Responded to Immediately:
Conceal [use this action on something you intend to hide on your person]
Pick Up [use this action on something you want to hold onto]
Examine/Observe [use on things that you want more details on]
Use [use on things that you intend to use in some way--please specify how you're using it]
Attack [use on people or objects you intend to hurt or break, specify any weapons you might be using]
Search For [use like examine but for things that may or may not be there]
Hide [Insert Applicable Preposition] [use to conceal oneself, usually for a short amount of time]

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Magabelle blinked as she tore her teeth through the salami for another bite, leaning on the counter. It... really was strange that her dad wasn't here... he'd probably be preparing an actual dinner by now. In fact, she had expected to run into him as soon as she got into the kitchen, but she guessed she was too focused on grabbing food that she forgot to consider that he should've been here. And under the normalest circumstances she could think of at the moment, she would've figured he'd be out looking for her, or checking out the earthquake's effect, but...

She snapped down on the salami with wide eyes, standing alert. He might be in danger because of her. She was in danger. Canchi—oh god, Canchi—he was more directly involved, he was probably still in danger too, even after his splatting. And she couldn't just find his house and go check on him, either; she didn't know where his house was. At this point, Alga probably was too, considering where Magabelle's leads had taken her, and the person she found there.

With a determined munch of the last of the salami, Magabelle slammed her hand onto the counter and trailed her hand across it as she stomped back to her room. She had no idea who the people she had fought today were nor why they had attacked her; hell, she didn't really have any actual bloody clue what was going on at this point. But if there's one thing she's going to do, it's find this damned guitar teacher, and Magabelle hoped that after that was done things could go back to normal for her.

Go To: Magabelle's Bedroom

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Wh...

Something seized her heart and she felt like she was freezing and suffocating at the same time from the strength of its grip. Lungs expanded with effort and held before the air was exhaled in a shudder. This couldn't be real. This couldn't be real. It couldn't--

But then she looked out from under the sheets again and into the darkness and saw...nothing. Nothing but a desk and an empty, closed off room. And the book... The book was...faded. It had been overflowing with words even just last night, she had seen that herself, but now...

This was nothing like what she had experienced over the last two days. Then, she had been scared and exhausted, weeping and wishing for home. This was terror in tangible form, forcing her body stiff from the inside and strangling her into silence. Fear of the unknown.

Exit the sheets... There was a brief maniacal thought, a wonder of what would happen if she refused, and the idea of any possible consequences forced her to shudder. That wasn't an option, no matter how dearly she wanted to just bury herself under the covers and pretend nothing existed.

To say it was a task to go through with it, though, was something of an understatement. Many times she found herself pausing just before tugging the blanket off of her, limbs locking into place and refusing to let her move. It had to have been maybe a good ten minutes before she could even get her body to cooperate enough to uncurl from her fetal potion and sit up.

And, once she had somehow managed to achieve the impossible and drag the blanket off to the side, that was as far as she got. She could literally not move anymore than she already had. She might've had to leave the bed, might have to take a step and stand in the room, but she just couldn't. It wasn't physically possible.

So, book held in a vice grip against her chest, Alga took a raspy breath and squeezed her eyes shut, waiting.

Exit Sheets

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
sʇǝǝɥS ʇᴉxƎ <== ɐƃl∀

˙ǝɯ oʇ ʞɐǝdS ˙ǝɯ puᴉℲ

Alga was paralyzed in fear.
She hugged the book, shivering. This couldn't be happening. Couldn't. There was no way. She was dreaming. Surely. She pinched herself. It hurt.

˙ǝɯ oʇ ʞɐǝdS ˙ǝɯ puᴉℲ

She didn't want to leave this spot. At least here, she knew she was safe. At least here, she knew that she wasn't going to be hurt. It was dark, but if she closed her eyes, it wouldn't matter.

˙ǝɯ oʇ ʞɐǝdS ˙ǝɯ puᴉℲ

A voice kept calling to her though. She didn't know how, but she knew it was the book. Not from the book. But somewhere else. It felt like that text that she couldn't understand. That was no longer in the book.

It wasn't much, but a purpose helped. It wasn't much, but it was a little courage. Something wanted to be found here.

Alga took a deep breath. Purpose. Was it enough? Or...

˙ǝsɐǝlԀ ˙ǝɯ oʇ ʞɐǝdS ˙ǝɯ puᴉℲ

What now?

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
She wet her lips and cracked her eyes open, looking out into the darkness as she struggled to turn the words over. The fear was there, still gripping her heart and squeezing tight, but this was...

It had...It almost seemed to be begging. Maybe.

She wondered...

With a deep breath, Alga glanced around at the empty room uncertain of what to do. Something wanted to be found here, but how could she find something in a place as empty as this...?

Just to be certain, Alga cracked the book open once again, forcing trembling fingers through the pages to see if they might offer any answers.

Examine: Book

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
ʞooq ǝuᴉɯɐxƎ <== ɐƃl∀

Alga opened the book.
Maybe there were answers there. Something, anyway.

She didn't know where to open it, but she didn't need to. She began to open it, and almost as if it had a will of its own, the book opened to a page. More unreadable script flooded her mind, impossible to understand, yet comprehensible.

˙ǝʌlǝp ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴ ˙ooʇ sǝlnɹ sɐɥ ʎʇᴉlɐǝɹɹᴉ ʇnq ˙lɐǝɹ ʇou sᴉ sᴉɥ┴

The book didn't close. Nothing melodramatic like that. But the text went from being knowable to not. The words were never legible, but now the font of information was empty.

...delve...

...there are rules...

What did it mean? All that was here were a bed and a desk. The walls were even a monochromatic gray. Solid sheet with no crevasses. The only thing that broke the monotony were the steel-panel floor, reminiscent of some linoleum, tiled counterpart.

She took a deep breath.

She was still terrified.

What now?

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Alga looked over the incomprehensible text once more just to be certain, and when no more could be gleaned she closed it and held it tight to her chest. Okay. That was...something. There was nothing here, but at the same time there was... Was that right...?

With the new spark of courage - curiosity - settling in the back of her mind, it wasn't quite as hard to move as it might have been, and her feet settled on the floor without a sound. She stood in jerky movements, repositioning the book to her right hand so she could hold the flashlight in her left. Nothing was here but the bed and her desk, and without really mulling it over she gravitated towards the only other piece of furniture in the room.

Irregularity or not, she had to start somewhere...

Examine: Desk

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
ʞsǝp ǝuᴉɯɐxƎ <== ɐƃl∀

The desk was simple.
No drawers. No accompanying chair. No vanity mirror. But... now on the surface, there was a mirror. A small, handheld one, made from some kind of stone with a highly-polished, reflective surface.

upload_2017-9-4_15-19-5.png

What Alga saw in the mirror shocked her. It was her, in the same room, but well-lit. The other her was at the desk as well, looking back at her.

First, the room was the same as the one she'd been in before. The lights were still off. The covers were pulled back. But Lili's bed was still there. It was too dark to tell, but it seemed like in the reflection there was a door.

Second, Alga knew that other person
wasn't real. She just knew.

Alga turned, quickly, excitedly flashing her torch in the direction of where the entrance and, subsequently, exit should have been. But it wasn't there. Disappointed, she returned to the mirror, flashing the light into the it.

˙ɥɔʇᴉʍs ʇɥƃᴉl ǝɥʇ sɐʍ sɐ 'ǝɹǝɥʇ sɐʍ ɹoop ǝɥ┴

What now?

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Okay. Okay... A mirror showing her the real room, and a fake of herself on the other side...

She glanced around the room and back into the mirror looking back and forth from where she saw the real door versus the blank spot in her own room where a door should have been cogs turning in her mind. Adjusting the book so that it was now wedged under her arm, she carried the mirror over towards the wall, staring uncertainly. Was this even the right idea...? The book had said to escape, but...

Alga swallowed. It wasn't like she had any other leads, right...? It...couldn't hurt to try.

She set the book down reluctantly, giving it a glance before turning back to the blank wall and reaching out her hand for a doorknob that wasn't there.

Examine: Door

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
ɹoop ǝuᴉɯɐxƎ <== ɐƃl∀

It was awkward holding a flashlight, book and mirror.
But she managed, making an awkward backwards walk toward the door in the reflection. She realized she was still shaking. Deep breath.

She was at the door. Or rather
she was. The two, both real and phantom set down the book, and grabbed behind herself for the doorknob.

It was odd enough reaching for something in a reflection. Every movement seemed to be inverted. But it was even harder reaching for something you knew wasn't there.
She grasped air. She grasped a knob and turned.

She
didn't tell her to turn that.

The door opened in the mirror, to the simple image of the hallway from before.
Alga turned around to see if anything had happened.

There was gentle, imperceptible light flooding through a new opening. It was relaxing. Calming.

What now,
Alga?

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
This was all...disturbing? Wrong? She didn't know. The phantom had moved while she hadn't, there was light coming from an opening that hadn't been there before, and... She should be scared. She should still be terrified beyond belief.

But she...wasn't. At least, definitely not as much as she had been. There was uncertainty, nervousness, her usual emotions when faced with new things, but the paralyzing fear from before had vanished almost like it had never been there.

Alga stood there a minute, just basking in the relief that came with the absence of her earlier emotions. Then, once she felt sufficiently ready, she leaned down to collect her things once more. It was a tad awkward having to adjust it all, but she certainly wasn't going to risk leaving anything behind.

With the book once again firmly wedged under her arm and with her flashlight and mirror held firm in each hand, she looked at the opening, hesitated, then began moving.

Go To: Lit Opening

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
ƃuᴉuǝdO ʇᴉ˥ oʇ oפ <== ɐƃl∀

It was her room.
The portal closed behind her but that didn't matter. She was home. She was home...

No.

No she wasn't.

The door was gone. The window was gone. All that was in this room was a bed and her guitar case. No hint of the earthquake and the figures she had intended to put away later. No hints of life other life in
a house that wasn't connected. No this wasn't real.

The shade of the comfort passed. She had the book, the mirror and the flashlight. The mirror, as before, seemed to indicate a room that was
more real than her own, with a shade of herself within.

The
other-room was as she remembered it: half-cleaned, with a guitar-case lovingly propped in the doorframe in case of another quake. The window at the far right shone far too bright--it seemed her grandparents had lifted the blinders since she'd last been there. It was always just out of reach, so it was a pain to pull the blinder back down.

Normally she liked it a little dark. But now, she wished that light shown
here.

What now?

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
The comfort had been a brief respite in the wake of uncontrollable, incomprehensible circumstances, and now that it had left, she could feel wisps of that earlier terror beginning to ghost through her body. Along with that, there came a strange albeit brief, sense of anger. This had to be one of the cruelest things it could do. She wanted to go home. Now she was in some...mock-up/like it was toying with her. It hurt. She hated it.

But the feeling passed, and she was left with a sense of mournful longing instead.

Alga stepped further into the room, looking around with a frown and glancing at the mirror a handful of times before her gaze eventually fell to the guitar case sitting nearby, the only piece of furniture there aside from the bed. That in itself was an oddity. What would this...whatever it was want with her guitar case...?

She moved towards it on quiet, halting steps, driven more by curiosity than anything else, and paused when she reached it. Then she kneeled, set down her things, and tentatively reached out to rest her hand on its surface. Should she open it...? But what if- What if...

She didn't know. It was the only thing in here beside the bed she could interact with properly. There was the mirror, but...hadn't she already come in through the door?

Licking her lips, Alga took a chance and skirted her hands to the side where the clasps were keeping the case closed.

Examine: Guitar Case

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
ǝsɐƆ ɹɐʇᴉnפ :ǝuᴉɯɐxƎ <== ɐƃl∀

The case itself was a perfect replica.
Further, inside was a perfect replica of her guitar. Perfect. Unreal.

But still a relief. She plucked a few strings, breaking the silence of the room. It was relaxing, playing something. She felt, somewhere, an echo of her music from somewhere else, as if someone was playing with her. No not an echo. A harmony. Someone playing a harmony to her melody.

The case could easily hold both the flashlight and the mirror, as well as her guitar. It wasn't ideal, but at the very least, it gave her something.

˙ǝq oʇ ʇuɐʍ noʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ

What now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom