• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Moray Towers: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Note: This thread will be in a constant state of WIP. Will be updated when new content becomes known.

Welcome to the Moray Towers Analysis thread. Where we will try to gather and express as much info as we can on this stage.

This thread will hopefully find all sorts of strategies and cool details about this stage.

Moray Towers

Overview

A map with high vertically and multiple paths. Some of the paths are risky due to having to jump over gaps.

Inkopolis News Info
Callie: "I love dashing across this whole stage with a roller."
Marie: "It's all fun and games until I splat you in the face."
Callie: "OK, Marie. Give us another one of your tips!"
Marie: "What goes up must come down...unless it doesn't!"
Callie: "So...if Judd ever called in sick, what would happen?"
Marie: "I don't even want to think about that!"
Callie: "Man, my fear of heights and this stage do not jive."
Marie: "Yeah, I'm with you on that,"

Strategies
-WIP-

Extras
-WIP-

Please help us find more info. I'll update the thread accordingly.
YOU MISSED THE POKEMON SQUID SISTER CONVO! "ahem"
Callie: Rollers are super effective here!
Marie: Chargers are the very best, like no gun ever was!
Me: To ink it all is my real quest, to battle is my cause...
I will travel across Inkopolis, searching far and wide...
Teach every Inkling the power that's inside!
Oh, Splatoon!
Gotta ink it all!

mobilisq

Inkling
NNID
mobilisq
Well hidden mines just destroy most rollers on this stage (I've gotten double kills a few times). I've been holding my own quite well with the aerospray rg

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Well hidden mines just destroy most rollers on this stage (I've gotten double kills a few times). I've been holding my own quite well with the aerospray rg
Yah you can be evil with mines here. Drop them in a spot you think the enemy is likely to jump down from while keeping your gun pointed
towards them and it'll easily put them in a very bad spot.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Awesome day of Splatoon for me, played a lot of great games with the same players in a ranked lobby. Personally I enjoy Moray tower all the people who were playing it said it was bad because E-liter Domination and the camping on top of the zones with beacons. For me large maps that require some organizations and tactics are the best.

In terms of the weapons I can play here is my impression.

Chargers - The E-liter basically capable of controlling the centre in Splatzone, a lot of the other chargers are also very lethal on this map.
Charger is no doubt the best weapon on Moray, as long as it's in capable hands.
Rollers - haven't seen a Dynamo yet but probably completely broken once they have the high ground. One Dynamo can play defensive and completely control one zone. They can also hold the tower with good positioning and movement.
Carbon is viable provided you are able to flank enemies - there is plenty of ways to jump on top of the enemy. The problem with the Carbon is lowground and small range - which is needed to climb up to the opposition. Would probably be ineffective in Tower Mode.
Krak-on's beacon is it's greatest weapon on this map, you need to realize Moray is not about kills but about control. If you are playing Krak-on no doubt concentrate on beacon positioning.
Blasters - Still viable for tower control - don't think I would play with one on this map in Splatzone.

Best Mains:
- Inkzooka - no doubt the best main skill, clear out chargers, control towers get trails to highground
- Echolocation - invaluable for chargers to dominate/not dominate the map
- Kraken - use it to win zone/tower or quick getaway the utility is always great

Best Subs:
- Beacon - which ever team has the most beacons is going to win the game

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
I was getting frustrated today with the other team having the E-liter player constantly. Something I don't play. All my team not really being able to do much because we didnt have the chargers.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
A good thing to keep in mind with Charger's is that they need to score a direct hit against you to kill. If you just happen to be in the trail it fired, as long as its reticle wasn't over you, the only damage you should take is what you would get from standing in enemy ink. Something you can do is take the E-liter to recon and see what parts of the center area it either can't hit or has a lot of trouble actually shooting people. Once you know these, you can rush up during its charge time.

As for clearing them out, a Splat Bomb or a Suction Bomb will force a retreat for a bit, at which point you can decide the best way to move forward.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Very few people seem to use to use the small ledge that runs along the side of the ramp that goes up from the very center. In splatzones, this route is AMAZING for grabbing some kills and stealing the zone from under their noses. And best part is, most people just try to go right for the ramp to try and tackle things head on :P

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Very few people seem to use to use the small ledge that runs along the side of the ramp that goes up from the very center. In splatzones, this route is AMAZING for grabbing some kills and stealing the zone from under their noses. And best part is, most people just try to go right for the ramp to try and tackle things head on :p
Yup. I did that and killed the Sniper that was keeping our team at bay. Went from losing 80% of the match to winning with a 3 second lead. One good breakthrough is all you need.

Power

Inkling Commander
I wa having a lot of troublw in moray today with my squiffer classic. I am in need of tips on that map with squiffer as i hve no clue what how to use it there. My findings show very close combat will probably be more successful

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Honestly, if you're going to roll with Squiffer on Moray, it's better to use the New over the Classic. Point Sensors don't have many places where they can be useful since the stage is very center focused for combat, and Bubbler leaves you liable to be pushed off the stage, and in general it would just be hard for the Squiffer to make a push with it. Inkzooka on the other hand excels on a stage like Moray where there is constant close combat and frequent perched snipers it can nail, and Ink mines can set up some "taking you with me" situations.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
After playing an entire session and change on there I realized that the Custom Jet Squelcher trumps the Splash-O-Matic due to its range taking advantage of the vertical expanses so that I can guard the center effectively from up high. Still, as always it needs a great team to back it up, something I only got the last four matches.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
Moray Towers is a lot of fun! The fact that Moray Towers looks like a super long Lombard Street makes it seem like there's only one dimension to movement, but wall climbing happens way more often and is much more important on this map than on most others.

The most important question to consider is how will one break through the middle to the other side?

There are two very convenient sniper perches that overlook the middle, so passing through can be tough. When taking on counter-Charger roles, I'm very sure that E-Liters can fire across to the near middle of the other sniper perch, when firing from the edge of their own sniper perch. I'm not sure if other Chargers can reach the other sniper perch from their own, though Squiffers most likely cannot. You will probably need to rely on a Charger to give you support fire, but if you reach the middle, you can paint up the ramp and wall. If you get on the wall of the enemy sniper perch, they can't really stop you anymore from that position and you can then get the jump on enemy Chargers (or at least try!).

However, if you have a weapon with long enough range, like the Jet Squelcher or the .96 Gal, and you make it into the middle, you can hit enemies from below when they're standing at the edge or near the edge of their sniper perch. You don't even need to climb up to the sniper perch at that point! If you're making Chargers back off from that edge, then they no longer have an effective attack angle into the middle. That's probably enough to get your allies through the middle into to enemy territory. If you feel that your throwing arm is good enough, you could probably do something similar with Suction Bombs.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I just tried it on Turf War for the first time. I love the map aesthetically. It's got a Mirror's Edge vibe to it that I really like. Unfortunately, the map's layout, I'm not sure I like. It seems like one giant chokepoint. There are no alternate routes to the other side of the map, so you're forced to go down through the center. Since everyone has to meet at the center, that's where most of the conflict is, and if both teams are evenly matched, then the battle goes nowhere. What's the point?

To me, this stage might be the worst Turf War map. It might be better in Tower Control; in fact, the stage's linearity seems to suggest it was made for that mode. I can't test that myself though, since Tower Control isn't even on the rotation...

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I just tried it on Turf War for the first time. I love the map aesthetically. It's got a Mirror's Edge vibe to it that I really like. Unfortunately, the map's layout, I'm not sure I like. It seems like one giant chokepoint. There are no alternate routes to the other side of the map, so you're forced to go down through the center. Since everyone has to meet at the center, that's where most of the conflict is, and if both teams are evenly matched, then the battle goes nowhere. What's the point?

To me, this stage might be the worst Turf War map. It might be better in Tower Control; in fact, the stage's linearity seems to suggest it was made for that mode. I can't test that myself though, since Tower Control isn't even on the rotation...
I've played Tower Control on Moray Towers and I will back up your statement. It is very fun on tower control. There's so many angles to attack from and it goes up about halfway on either side. Regardless, it's tons of fun, very competitive and the other team has to be really good to go 100%

Hari-Kuyo

Inkling
Are people legit having big problems with Inkbrush here? Given I have only been able to play this stage in Turf War so far, but I actually thought it was one of the best stages for that weapon considering it benefits a ton from having the high ground. I had some of the best vibes and scores I've ever had that day, staying solidly at the 8+/1000 point range.

Your ink goes a lot farther when you're higher up. Combine that with how widely it fans in front of you and your coverage gets SCARY. Use that to your advantage.

As for the enemies, if you can get on the upper part of a slope, chances are you will kill them and live another day to continue going ink crazy in their space.

Last edited:

Hari-Kuyo

Inkling
I also must say: This stage really shows off the Inkbrush's momentum-based play. Whether or not you succeed with it depends on if you know how to find and press your advantages. Find the less-noticeable climbing walls, throw sprinklers, bring a friend, USE THE ROLL to charge forward and fall back... Man, this is a really good stage to showcase the "mop" function. It's useful for infiltrating and bailing on other stages but on this one mop rolling really shines.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
Yeah I played a few matches on Moray Towers last night and thought I was going to do swell with Custom Jet Squelcher. It's probably a bunch of massive miscalculations on my part, but I was getting bodied by Sploosh-o-Matics, Octobrushes and Custom Dual Squelchers for all the matches I played. It helped that all of those weapons had Beakons for much faster reinforcement, but there are a lot of close quarter combat zones that those weapons can take advantage of which I wasn't paying attention to. The middle area is still definitely Charger bait, but the walkways and bends are actually quite narrow!

RemiRei

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RemiRei
E-Litre users seem fixated on the opposite ledge and the path leading below to the splat zone, eagerly waiting for the opportunity to jump n' shoot and splat some people. I go around and drop into the splat zone, stand in the splat zone to the right and behind that yellow box thing. Charge up a shot, walk to the side and splat them, free and easy splat.

Power

Inkling Commander
E-Litre users seem fixated on the opposite ledge and the path leading below to the splat zone, eagerly waiting for the opportunity to jump n' shoot and splat some people. I go around and drop into the splat zone, stand in the splat zone to the right and behind that yellow box thing. Charge up a shot, walk to the side and splat them, free and easy splat.
Nice little tip, ima try it out later

oh and idk if any of you guys know this, but inking the side of the big wall can lead to decent flanking options. the enemy cannot get u at all if you are on the side and they usually do not pay attention to that area. The best way to ink it is with a splatterscope or eliter (Which arent really great because taking out a group of people head on with them is kinda rough.). Along with this, you all probably know about inking the ramp walls to create different attacking points from the big wall. Once again, chargers are best for this.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Ink the opponent's blind spot on the wall that goes from the Splat Zone to the Sniper's perch. Instead of climbing onto the perch and fighting your way down the bridge to the Splat Zone, you can swim left of the wall directly there and ambush anyone who's on the bridge. The best part? No opponent can really see it unless they're looking at that wall from the center.

A more obscure route that might be useful in Turf War is if you have a high bomb range build (Burst and Suction bombs only) you can ink the wall on the underside of the bridge and swim underneath the bridge. This will get you behind the Sniper's Perch and let's you break in from behind as long as someone doesn't catch you going up from that wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom