• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Moray Towers: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

Rosencats

Inkling
NNID
waluigiisgood
I've played Tower Control on Moray Towers and I will back up your statement. It is very fun on tower control. There's so many angles to attack from and it goes up about halfway on either side. Regardless, it's tons of fun, very competitive and the other team has to be really good to go 100%
This has to be my favorite stage of the rotation. Only thing that bothers me is that gives me the willies looking down, and whenever that happens, I miss the jump miserably.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
Ink the opponent's blind spot on the wall that goes from the Splat Zone to the Sniper's perch. Instead of climbing onto the perch and fighting your way down the bridge to the Splat Zone, you can swim left of the wall directly there and ambush anyone who's on the bridge. The best part? No opponent can really see it unless they're looking at that wall from the center.

A more obscure route that might be useful in Turf War is if you have a high bomb range build (Burst and Suction bombs only) you can ink the wall on the underside of the bridge and swim underneath the bridge. This will get you behind the Sniper's Perch and let's you break in from behind as long as someone doesn't catch you going up from that wall.
Swim underneath the bridge you say? I want pictures of this!

Power

Inkling Commander
Ink the opponent's blind spot on the wall that goes from the Splat Zone to the Sniper's perch. Instead of climbing onto the perch and fighting your way down the bridge to the Splat Zone, you can swim left of the wall directly there and ambush anyone who's on the bridge. The best part? No opponent can really see it unless they're looking at that wall from the center.

A more obscure route that might be useful in Turf War is if you have a high bomb range build (Burst and Suction bombs only) you can ink the wall on the underside of the bridge and swim underneath the bridge. This will get you behind the Sniper's Perch and let's you break in from behind as long as someone doesn't catch you going up from that wall.
I am confused in what you described and where it is on the map. Lol

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Swim underneath the bridge you say? I want pictures of this!
I am confused in what you described and where it is on the map. Lol
#1:
Ink. Anything that can reach will do fine. Burst Bombs are highly recommended.

You should have full access to the Splat Zone and ambushes on that bridge by climbing onto the ramp on the right:

Ink:

Swim in the ink path:

Burst Bomb or Suction Bomb to finish the path in midair. If you don't have those subs, you can always just invade their base and ink the remaining part:

It's not that practical since step 3 can sometimes give your position away but I've used it a few times when I needed a backdoor entrance to the enemy's base. This can also be expanded if you ink more of the escalating wall to the left.

Altogether, this opens up five approaches to the enemy base, regardless of how strange they may be.

Last edited:

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
Uh not sure what's wrong but some of your images have broken links or just don't show up (I am in the US in case this matters). For some of the images that I could see before they were broken, that looks quite interesting! If you could fix the links so that the images all show up that would be SUPER :D

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Uh not sure what's wrong but some of your images have broken links or just don't show up (I am in the US in case this matters). For some of the images that I could see before they were broken, that looks quite interesting! If you could fix the links so that the images all show up that would be SUPER :D
That's odd... Saw them fine for myself.

I uploaded the images elsewhere; maybe that should do the trick.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
That's odd... Saw them fine for myself.

I uploaded the images elsewhere; maybe that should do the trick.
Yeah I can see them now! Wow this will be really interesting to try out. This is most definitely viable with Burst Bombs, but Suction Bombs should be able to do the same, but at a slower pace. Thanks much for the pictures!

Power

Inkling Commander
Hmmm, Yes I used the first one pretty successfully with my squiffer. The 2nd one, I could see have some potential uses, although they will be uncommon to use, it is always good to shock the opponent with different approaches. I think i mentioned this before, but the right side of the big wall is a pretty good area to hit, if you have a weapon with range of a scope or higher it can lead to pretty good flanks. Once again, these have uncommon uses but it is good to shake things up. Thanks for the new tip :D

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Hmmm, Yes I used the first one pretty successfully with my squiffer. The 2nd one, I could see have some potential uses, although they will be uncommon to use, it is always good to shock the opponent with different approaches. I think i mentioned this before, but the right side of the big wall is a pretty good area to hit, if you have a weapon with range of a scope or higher it can lead to pretty good flanks. Once again, these have uncommon uses but it is good to shake things up. Thanks for the new tip :D
Definitely agree. Going from the right is probably better (and safer) than under the bridge but altogether, getting those surprise attacks can definitely pay off. There's an interesting number of angles to play around with on every map ;)

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Wow, awesome parkour! Definitely going to try this, though it may be impossible to paint the road using a Dynamo Roller and Splat Bombs...

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
So how's everyone enjoying Moray's alterations in ranked?

Also one of Moray's towers new Squid Sister blurbs goes like this:
Callie: It's so foggy I can't even seen the ground!
Marie: That's called draw distan-- Er... It's smog. *cough*

Very cheeky, Marie. Very cheeky.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So with the Splat zone version of the map now changed to have more walls and platforms, I think Moray Towers really is an amazing map. I thought it before hand, but I hope other people now see it as well.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I really do like Moray Towers a lot more in Splat Zones now, it was already among my favorite maps, and the updates to it make it much more enjoyable. You can actually take cover and there are more areas to ink behind the Splat Zones.

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
I neither dislike nor like this level, however...

people who say this map is great for chargers are spewing bull****. Yes, almost everything is a hallway, but if the enemy is on the attack, they can just hide in their ink and swerve to the side while you're charging, then splat you at point-blank range. The only exception I can think of would be maybe the New Squiffer, since it's Ink Mines can theoretically eliminate this. However, it detonates slowly, so maybe not even that can work.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I have yet to play it in ranked, but as a charger player I can see it becoming a little more difficult for me. And that's a good thing, because it was just too easy to control the center against a team without a charger before.

Mr. Kibbles

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Script_Raider
A few observations from Turf Wars:
1) Staying in the midfield is difficult against most experienced players because it is the lowest part of the map wedged between two metaphorical cliffs
2) However, it can be beneficial to hug the walls of the enemy cliff because it provides a blind spot and a few different alternate paths
3) It seems to be easier to take over part of the enemy ramp and all of your cliff to secure victory. Chargers can always pick off stragglers in the middle and its more of a chore to hold it rather than ignore it. It's also considerably smaller than the pathways leading to it.

I have yet to play it in ranked, but as a charger player I can see it becoming a little more difficult for me. And that's a good thing, because it was just too easy to control the center against a team without a charger before.
Yes, it's better to ignore midfield in this map. Its very small compared to the walkways that go on forever.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
This is pretty late, I know, but I just wanted to add that you don't necessarily have to rely on bombs to use this route; any long-range shooter, such as the Dual Squelcher, will do. Shooters are also better for inking that last little bit of the wall on the other side of the bridge, since they don't make so much noise; it usually only takes a single shot if you inked high enough from the ground.

Also, when you're inking the wall under the bridge, I would recommend that you deliberately cover only a thin strip at the bottom of the wall. This doesn't actually put you at risk of falling as long as you constantly swim upward on the wall, and it eliminates the possibility of bonking your head on the underside of the bridge. Head bonks won't necessarily get you killed, but they do make noise, which can alert the enemy to your presence.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Since nobody brought it up in this thread before it went dead, i might as well say that Rainmaker is really janky in Moray Towers. The center is completely overtaken by the shield's blast radius, you can't really dodge rainmaker shots becuase of how little ground there is, and you can get the distance points down fast if you take the rainmaker through more direct paths.

I don't really hate it's configuration, but it's not fun when you have teams in solo ranked that fails to realize they can take routes that aren't the ramps to the pedestal

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
it's not fun when you have teams in solo ranked that fails to realize they can take routes that aren't the ramps to the pedestal
Which is bizarre to me, considering that this map must have the most obvious shortcuts out of all of them. I've been in a twin squad where a few of the enemy team insisted on the ramps, even when the walls were clearly inked in their favor. It was a surreal sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom