• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Moray Towers: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Pretty interesting stage, but definitely looks like it's pretty centralized to certain weapons. As many people have mentioned, Chargers have a lot of fun here, and Rollers also benefit pretty heavily, especially stuff like the Dynamo. Though in general, the vertical terrain gives anything with Mid-to-long range a huge advantage, while Short Range weapons like Splattershots and Aerosprays suffer quite a bit.

Juses

Inkling
NNID
aeoiy654
I keep getting the other map ;-; (like one game in 10 attempts)

Last edited:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pretty interesting stage, but definitely looks like it's pretty centralized to certain weapons.
Not really. And even if so, not to an incredibly high percent and a decent amount would be still useable. At the moment, the main reason we are seeing E-liters everywhere is because a lot of people were speculating those would be good on this map.

Not to mention, in an actual team setting, players would be able to form a plan, making some weapons not as good as once thought.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Fair enough. I am interested to see what stage specific strategies crop up for here, it is certainly one of the most unique stages added so far.

sunfallSeraph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunfallSeraph
I honestly found Dynamos and their roller kin harder to deal with on this map than chargers. It seems like a lot of the time when my team would manage to push past mid, we'd climb the lowest wall to the enemy team's side only to shortly thereafter get rolled en masse by the respawners. Mildly frustrating. XP I think this is a really fun map though, probably one of my faves. The weapon I enjoyed most here was the Custom Dual Squelcher. The range is very relevant here, and it's pretty tough to get past one when they're defending a slope. As others have noted, Beacons are amazing on this stage and imo vital to maintaining momentum in a literally uphill battle. The usually subpar Killer Wail actually netted me tons of KOs and positional rewards on this stage; specials like it and the Inkzooka are vital to countering people camping the walls outside of mid, and firing it up a slope sometimes forces opponents to quickly react by jumping down to an area outside of their control or panic and die.

Egomouse

Full Squid
NNID
Egomouse
Switch Friend Code
SW-1058-0470-2243
I tried Rapid Blaster for the first time on this stage. Failed miserably. It looked like it would be alright by recon test, maybe I needed to give it more of a chance. I prefer chargers honestly.
I tried Carbon Roller, which I had a hard time using at first when it came out. I had some good success, but not as much on Port Mackerel (the other map in rotation). Burst bombs work pretty well and Inkzooka is really good since it can reach the second floor where chargers normally hang. Speed definitely helps.
I tried Dynamo Roller. I'm pretty good with it, but I haven't used it in awhile. I did alright, but on the opponent's side, the obstacles really gotten in the way. Might need to give it more of a chance later. Sprinklers are good.
Now I tried E-Liter with double attack up (which I feel it's a bit overkill but I didn't really have any other appropriate gear). It's a little too campy for my taste, but it's relatively easy. I set beakons on the side paths so when I do get inkzooka'd or Inkstriked, my beakons don't go down with me. Kraken isn't too useful on E-Liter other than if someone does reach you. This is probably the best time to learn how to use an E-Liter (which I really need). Honestly, dealing with pursuers wasn't that hard. It's easy to snipe at the side and when they do get up on the vertical side, it's easy to just back away and charge shot or keep pressing the shoot without charging. People expect chargers won't splat that way, but you totally can. It's not ideal, but it happens and I do win against shooters mainly. I had a win streak from using E-Liter.
I need to play on this map a little more. There's also an interesting side area in the middle that doesn't go anywhere. You might be able to use it stealthily or avoid chargers that way (you have to go on your enemy's side because that is where it covers you).
This map also seems low scoring in Turf Wars.

Tldr; Rollers, Beakons, Inkzooka, Sprinklers, and E-Liter seems good on this map just based on experience.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
This is an amazing stage. Been having great fun with the .96 deco since I've woken up this morning. It might be windy but there's so many alternative routes and ways to ambush. I agree that long range weapons have a massive advantage. The design looks amazing and I love the chaos in the middle.

fabz97

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jr_Flex3689
This stage is soo damn good, yes for snipers+ chargers for obvious reasons but from my own experience, using the splashOM was pretty useful in TW since you start off inking the bottom then spawn back at the top and drop bombs on the bottom, that tactic had me getting around 1200-1400 everytime, still have to play ranked tho:P

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I tried Rapid Blaster for the first time on this stage. Failed miserably. It looked like it would be alright by recon test, maybe I needed to give it more of a chance. I prefer chargers honestly.
Hate to break it too you, but most people feel the Rapid Blaster is a bad weapon choice. And I don't see this stage helping it out.

Anyway, really like Splat zones here, despite it being one of the hardest ones yet. However, quite a bit of strategy to do.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
Hate to break it too you, but most people feel the Rapid Blaster is a bad weapon choice. And I don't see this stage helping it out.

Anyway, really like Splat zones here, despite it being one of the hardest ones yet. However, quite a bit of strategy to do.
I haven't had a chance to play it, but the hill placement seems really awful.

Egomouse

Full Squid
NNID
Egomouse
Switch Friend Code
SW-1058-0470-2243
Why do you think it's the first time I used it? lol. I just wanted to give it a chance. It's better to judge when experienced instead of taking purely other people's thoughts (especially with all the charger hate I see in some places). Rapid Blaster might not be very good, but this map helps it out just a little bit more than other maps (at least it feels like it might).

It seems if your team only have short-medium ranged weapons and the enemy has long range, it makes it harder to win.
Though, I do like Splattershot Pro in this map. It seems like any type of bomb works pretty well on this map. The ramps make it easier for the splat bomb to roll and all the obstacles can hide your bomb as it rolls towards them.
I probably won't be doing Splatzone anytime soon until I learn the map just a little more.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the alternate paths. Played a good amount of Splat Zones on this map and I think it's really interesting, just hard to get your bearings on.

Shooba

Inkling
NNID
Johan.Holmberg
I LOVE the creative map design and the different heights in it!

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I shouldn't be as surprised as I am about that. I laughed when I saw it though.
Also Callie has it right. It's easier to defend with Rollers raining ink down on enemies from above, and they're good for getting the drop on enemies (though they may take a bit longer to reach those ambushes, unless someone else inks a path up the walls for them. Chargers have good precision sniping, and maybe they're good for supportive cover fire when you're on offense, but it just doesn't compare to how good a well-played Roller is on this one, at least to me.
Or maybe I just haven't run into a good Charger player on this level yet. That could be it too.

In any case, I've had a blast with this stage so far. There's a bunch of ways to close in on the different levels, and Tower Control's route left me on my toes a lot.
Yeah, this is basically how I feel about this stage.

You meet me on this stage, and you meet a Sploosh-o-matic splatting machine.
Meet me on this stage and get Seeker'd, then shot at by my .52 Gal Deco. Or just shot at, since I outrange you by quite a bit.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Meet me on this stage and get Seeker'd, then shot at by my .52 Gal Deco. Or just shot at, since I outrange you by quite a bit.
Maybe I came off a bit arrogant, but I merely said that from past experiences, as I somehow managed to wipe out a bunch of players on my climb up to their spawn more times than I expected. I can't recall the exact reasons as to how or the methods behind it, but it's satisfying all the same, especially with beacons.

So, how high can you get?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Maybe I came off a bit arrogant, but I merely said that from past experiences, as I somehow managed to wipe out a bunch of players on my climb up to their spawn more times than I expected. I can't recall the exact reasons as to how or the methods behind it, but it's satisfying all the same, especially with beacons.
Ah, you didn't really, sorry if I did.
And so was I, though I was catching them on their way to the tower while we were winning or going after their Splat Zone with... varying amounts of success (Seekers don't help when everyone's above you , rather than going to their spawn point. Yours sounds rather satisfying, especially with something with such poor range (seriously, that's the only thing stopping me from using the Sploosh, I love it otherwise).

So, how high can you get?
Up to 75m, I can never get past those trampolines.
Actually I've gotten to where the tower ends on Tower Control a couple of times, think that's about halfway up.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Why do you think it's the first time I used it? lol. I just wanted to give it a chance. It's better to judge when experienced instead of taking purely other people's thoughts (especially with all the charger hate I see in some places). Rapid Blaster might not be very good, but this map helps it out just a little bit more than other maps (at least it feels like it might).

It seems if your team only have short-medium ranged weapons and the enemy has long range, it makes it harder to win.
Though, I do like Splattershot Pro in this map. It seems like any type of bomb works pretty well on this map. The ramps make it easier for the splat bomb to roll and all the obstacles can hide your bomb as it rolls towards them.
I probably won't be doing Splatzone anytime soon until I learn the map just a little more.
Rapid Blaster I find is more mode-dependent than stage dependent (stages do still matter to an extent, though). In turf it's pretty bad since it's barely better than other blasters at covering and the ever-shifting areas of combat make it all too easy to outmaneuver it's small shots. Splat Zones it fares a little better since it can take positions that other blasters wouldn't be effective from and defend as well as having range to disrupt other campers, but Tower Control is where it really shines the tower is just the right size for rapid blaster shots to seriously harass riders, while it's good range helps it avoid risking close range engagements around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom