• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

most wild idea for splatoon 4

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i been thinking about how splatoon 3 is close to its end (unless they extend content) which made me realize they could do absolutely anything for the next game. so, what is your biggest hope for the next game that seems like something that would never get added?

mine is a custom stage builder. you get to build your own stage and play them with people in private battles. you can also choose other people's custom stages that are in your lobby. maybe even add being able to upload your stages to be used by everyone else. there is one for smash bros, mario maker is an entire game around that idea, so why not add it to splatoon? the only thing is they haven't even figured out a good way for 3d stage building in mario maker (3d world game style was 2d ):) so i dont know if they even could add this to the game, but that is the point of this post so whatever. it would be so cool to be able to use all the stuff we wish were in regular stages, like grindrails and boost tracks from singleplayer. i think maybe i want this the most because of all the terrible stages we got in this game...

this also made me realize that they kind of really played it safe with splatoon 3, they didn't really try any radical changes or additions to the game besides the new rank system and map design, which both suck. kind of similar to the theme of the patch notes we been getting...
the biggest change is the new seasonal structure and catalogue which are both fine

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Nintendo implementing color chips into salmon run!

I think salmon run's really fun as is but I'd love it if nintendo added the color chips from side order in some way: it could be by choosing a random one in between waves (maybe they'd physically spawn in front of the basket and every one would have to choose one), having some bosses drop them when they're killed, making a longer version of the mode where you slowly get overpowered. There's a ton of ways to do it and it'd make salmon run feel a lot less repetitive by adding a randomness factor (sometimes it can get a bit samey imo) and it would straight up be super fun let's be real

Maybe they should do that as a separate mode from vanilla salmon run but I hope they wouldn't make it a limited time event or something

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet

I think salmon run's really fun as is but I'd love it if nintendo added the color chips from side order in some way: it could be by choosing a random one in between waves (maybe they'd physically spawn in front of the basket and every one would have to choose one), having some bosses drop them when they're killed, making a longer version of the mode where you slowly get overpowered. There's a ton of ways to do it and it'd make salmon run feel a lot less repetitive by adding a randomness factor (sometimes it can get a bit samey imo) and it would straight up be super fun let's be real

Maybe they should do that as a separate mode from vanilla salmon run but I hope they wouldn't make it a limited time event or something
they have done a pretty good job with salmon run in this game, and honestly since there isn't much more different types of things i can think of them adding besides unique modes kind of like challenges from multiplayer, and being able to build up color chips for salmon run would be an amazing thing to do that for, it sounds very cool
and maybe it will help carry me in that mode because i am absolutely abysmal in salmon run

Lisku

Inkling Commander
that seems like a cool idea, but how would they manage that? would there be like custom map codes like fortnite? I wouldn't like for splatoon to go a fall guys/fortnite path. I think its good where it is.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
that seems like a cool idea, but how would they manage that? would there be like custom map codes like fortnite? I wouldn't like for splatoon to go a fall guys/fortnite path. I think its good where it is.
oh youre kinda right
i was tunnel visioning on how cool it would be to have access to all the objects that were used in this game, and also being able to make actually good map layouts
and dang that was supposed to be my cool answer

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
my other answer, which is probably the most unlikely to be added to splatoon or even any nintendo game, is audio settings
i can’t remember a single nintendo game with audio settings in it and i think splatoon out of any other game would benefit the most from them. so much for accessibility, i guess

crows

Inkster Jr.
Premium
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6103-0887-9214
my other answer, which is probably the most unlikely to be added to splatoon or even any nintendo game, is audio settings
i can’t remember a single nintendo game with audio settings in it and i think splatoon out of any other game would benefit the most from them. so much for accessibility, i guess
there's actually a really good reason why splatoon doesn't have audio settings. splatoon tries to make very sure that things stay parallel for everyone in a match - everyone gets the same music and the same color set (besides color lock). if you completely turned off the music, you'd be able to hear a lot of subtle sound effects much easier - like the noise of someone swimming through ink with ninja squid. making sure it's the same song means that everyone gets louder or quieter parts of the song at the same time, making even that subtle difference in information consistent.
if you could turn down the music, every comp player would have to. there's just too much information there that you'd be sacrificing by leaving music on. every single player who wants to win at high X or playing in a tournament would have to never hear any battle music ever again if they want to win. this would, obviously, be hell for those players.
we are never getting any control over music, and we are definitely never ever ever getting the ability to mute music, because it would be a very bad thing if we did.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
there's actually a really good reason why splatoon doesn't have audio settings. splatoon tries to make very sure that things stay parallel for everyone in a match - everyone gets the same music and the same color set (besides color lock). if you completely turned off the music, you'd be able to hear a lot of subtle sound effects much easier - like the noise of someone swimming through ink with ninja squid. making sure it's the same song means that everyone gets louder or quieter parts of the song at the same time, making even that subtle difference in information consistent.
if you could turn down the music, every comp player would have to. there's just too much information there that you'd be sacrificing by leaving music on. every single player who wants to win at high X or playing in a tournament would have to never hear any battle music ever again if they want to win. this would, obviously, be hell for those players.
we are never getting any control over music, and we are definitely never ever ever getting the ability to mute music, because it would be a very bad thing if we did.
i would have liked to say that it won't be totally necessary but especially at top level you take every advantage you could possibly get
i could imagine how annoying it would be to be forced to not have the cool music play just so that the people who choose to do that don't have an advantage over you.
i just always thought the music plays way too loud over the sound effects, plus it would give a way for people that don't like splatoon music very much to be able to listen to something else
also if they do actually add audio settings i don't think they would be thinking about how it's going to affect competitive play

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Exactly what I always think about everytime the topic of audio settings comes up. I really want people to be able to play however they want, especially if the loud audio is a big problem for them but I really don't want to feel as if I have to turn down the music just so I'm at an equal playing field with other players that do the same.
It's still my choice of course, but I can imagine that it'll end up being necessary for any team trying to push into high or top level.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
I think there's a lot they could be doing with rebalancing some of the weaker subweapons. Just give every non-bomb subweapon that isn't Beakon or Splash Wall some wacky buff to make them feel like they actually have some purpose over bombs as opposed to just "this is fine but a certain bomb would be better / do similar enough to what this does with some other utility." At the very least I think there's a lot of room to do fun stuff with them that even if they aren't enough to fix them should make them feel a bit more purposeful than they do right now.

Like, I'd probably not be good for rebalancing the game but just off the top of my head...I know this one doesn't quite fall into the same boat of what I just described, but give Ink Mine's explosion knockback so it has more use for holding off certain areas while you're not there and so you really need to respect it when it's close to a spot people can fall off the map. Revert Angle Shooter's previous buffs but give it Disruptor's effect when you hit someone directly to make the reward actually match how hard it is to hit someone - arguably just as high as the lethal bombs, and this one hits instantly. Make Toxic Mist slowly but surely paint the floor it covers a little as if an Ink Storm were going over it (but maybe a little less) so weapons with it get special a little faster and people stuck in it have a harder time getting out, plus don't let people squid roll into it because that's just dumb. If they're really scared of making Sprinkler like how it was in Splatoon 1 then they at least should increase its painting radius or something.

If any of these sound too obnoxious or strong then just keep in mind they're all examples. I just want them all to reach their intended identities without feeling too weak or outclassed and I don't think the current balancing is perfect for this right now.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912

I actually really like this idea a lot! wouldn't even need to be color chips neccisarily if the base idea ends up being "slowly powered up throughout the waves"

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
I don't know that I need a whole Stage Builder feature but I wish so badly to at least be able to customize the lobby. Let me choose where to put my targets and let me add more if I want to. I'd also appreciate if they let me place targets in recon mode so I can lab out things like "can I hit this spot from this specific position." Also please let me quickly clean up my ink in recon without having to leave and re-enter and sit through the long startup animation.

I guess that's mostly just QOL wishes though. Gameplay wise I'll echo that I think it would be very cool to have a mode that was a mix of salmon run and side order mechanics to create something like a multiplayer dungeon crawler with progression elements.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Custom kits. The biggest argument against them is that S1-3 have all been designed around the kit system. So my counterargument is that I want S4 to be redesigned from the ground up to balance around custom kits. Radical changes will be necessary, but I think at the end of the day it'll be worth no longer tearing my hair out when the main weapons I want to play don't get to have kits I would enjoy. Because even though kits had some good ideas on paper, S3 has exacerbated that problem to a point where I do not think this system is worth it anymore.

Let people play what they wanna play, and we'll all be happier in the end.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Add support drones to multiplayer. I may have been playing too much Side Order, but the drone glide just feels like such a natural extension of your movement, and it’s frankly painful to go back to the multiplayer modes and have it not be there. Besides, customization options for the drone would definitely be cool, and they could also factor it into one of the special weapons. At the very least, add them to Salmon Run.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Add support drones to multiplayer. I may have been playing too much Side Order, but the drone glide just feels like such a natural extension of your movement, and it’s frankly painful to go back to the multiplayer modes and have it not be there. Besides, customization options for the drone would definitely be cool, and they could also factor it into one of the special weapons. At the very least, add them to Salmon Run.
Oh dang I forgot about this idea! Yes, yes and yes it would be SO fun and it would allow for the wildest flanks you've ever seen, while still having the downsides of being very visible, vulnerable and landing in enemy ink, but being very rewarding if you can pull them off. + we could get some reaaally fun maps if the devs went wild with it

NeoXVIII

Inkling
I would say Replay Mode was the biggest change in Splatoon 3
It would have to be squid roll/surge tbh. Surge not as much since there aren't many good spots to use it in, but roll changed how the game is played across the board, in turf, ranked, and salmon run

tbh for 4 I hope they bite the bullet and cut out some weapons out in favor of reworks/merging certain mains. This would suck for dedicated one tricks but would also reduce bloat and let those weapons get changes that otherwise would encroach on these weapons. Stuff like Squeezer, Dapple Dualies, Undercover Brella, and Splattershot Nova. Of course, that's assuming all weapons get a decent variety of kits.

Cephalobro

Get rid of Catalogs and don't replace it with anything even remotely related to season passes. The constant FOMO needs to be left to the wayside.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
Get rid of Catalogs and don't replace it with anything even remotely related to season passes. The constant FOMO needs to be left to the wayside.
Its kinda funny because they were this close to devolving into the same pitfall of "full priced game with heavy microtransactions for cosmetic items and a battle pass" and then

They just don't go all the way.

Like, it doesn't even make sense to have it in the first place, the rewards are barely worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom