• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Motion Controls and why they may be the ideal aiming setup in Splatoon

DNE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DNEatm
Maybe it was just me, but during the first demo time I saw a number of people in Skype groups I was a part of as well as streamers having the general, instant first reaction of: "I don't want to use motion controls."

Now, most people who said this probably are just used to aiming with a stick (or a mouse if you're more PC-inclined). But, whatever aiming set up you use should, once you've gotten used to it, give you the most precision with your shot. So allow me to talk shooter theory and why using motion controls may help up your game.

When we talk about aiming in shooters, we often compare aiming with a mouse and an analog stick. Generally, it is agreed that a mouse is more precise. The reason for this is because of versatility. Because a mouse has a much larger area of motion compared to a stick, I can make a large motion to instantly do a 180 if someone sneaks up on me and when I need to precisely aim, I have an easy time finding the proper position to follow an enemy around. With an analog stick, you often need to sacrifice one of the two because you either have a low sensitivity for that precise aim, or a high sensitivity so you can turn at larger angles faster.

Now consider the motion controls. The way Splatoon's are set up, while on you aim by tilting/turning the pad every which way, and can also turn left and right by using an analog stick as before.

This system actually solves the problem of versatility. Because the gamepad is quite large and works on two axes with itself, the area of motion is quite large, which allows you that precision aim that can be so key when fighting, and by using the analog stick (preferably at a higher sensitivity) you'll be able to swing the camera around very rapidly if you need to quickly change the angle. Neat, eh?

I definitely recommend players not just immediately turn off motion controls the moment you start playing splatoon; once you get accustomed to them, being precise with it should be far easier than using just a stick.

Now I'm sure some will be like, "But I can already aim with a high sensitivity both precisely and in larger motions." If that's the case, good on you. I do however still recommend at least trying and getting used to the motion controls and seeing if they make you even preciser. The answer could be yes or no; stick with whichever makes you aim better.

Whatever you decide to use, come May 29th, aim well or prepare to be splat. :)

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Makes sense. I had already decided to be using motion controls for as long as I'll believe that it can be the better option.

Will definitely have to mess a bit with the sensitivity for both the R-stick and the motion sensor, though. Both felt rather sluggish in the testfire, and I was in too much of a hurry to get into the next match to adjust them.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I will admit. When it comes to using motion controls, I found it easily to look up and down with the gyroscope while using the right stick to look left and right. I mean, I had to get used to it during the demo events at E3 and Apex, etc., so it wasn't too foreign. But, I still enjoy and largely prefer dual-analog controls. Motions controls are simply not a suitable replacement for keyboard and mouse IMO (the argument that they are similar doesn't bod too well with me but I digress).

I'll be sticking with dual-analog 100%.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
motion controls always have been better than dual stick even if only because you don't have to claw or stop aiming to use your buttons

what people, including me, are complaining about is the fact that the gamepad is an awful controller to use motion controls with

I'd rather claw and miss a few shots than have my arms feel like they're going to drop off after a couple hours of play.

unless the wiimote/nunchuck combo is available as a control scheme of course, in which case sign me up.

also, as confirmed in a separate thread, resetting your camera by changing your character's facing and tapping Y is a thing that all control schemes can do, so the faster turning isn't super important

DNE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DNEatm
I'd rather claw and miss a few shots than have my arms feel like they're going to drop off after a couple hours of play.
Interesting, fatigue isn't something I took into account, but I didn't feel any more fatigue from my arms aiming with a mouse compared to tilting the gamepad to aim. I generally use the motion controls within a 120 degree arc in front of me, which only requires some minor wrist movement. Going beyond that I would end up using the stick to go further right or left.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Perhaps, but I will keep using the right analog even if it isn't t the ideal. While I love aiming with the Wii Remote, gyroscope isn't my thing (yet?).

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Wii Mote aiming might be overpowered, though, speaking from my experience with the original Metroid Prime versus the Trilogy Edition.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The motion controls works surprisingly well for me. I'm going to be using it from now on.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
The motion controls aren't bad at all it's just that I'm too used to other console shooters and making the switch wouldn't make that much of a difference. Maybe I'll change my mind once the game drops

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
I found using the motion controls with the right stick to be practically necessary during my playtime with the Global Test Fire. The right stick alone felt too slow and clunky on it's own, granted I didn't change the sensitivity of it, but I felt much more comfortable with using motion controls with the right stick than just the stick alone.

Joshawott

Inkling
NNID
Joshawott
When I first saw the game at E3, I was cautious about its reliance on motion controls and whether that would really gel with a shooter, because I'd grown accustomed with dual analogue controls for the genre. After going hands-on with the game at EGX last September however,, I found myself really loving the precision that motion controls bring to the table. The game does of course have the option to disable motion controls, but everyone I've spoken to who has tried that ends up concluding that motion controls are the way to go.

My only real concern is that that in the heat of battle, I sometimes found it difficult to quickly turn around and splat an enemy who's manoeuvred themselves behind me. Although I imagine that's more a case of my own inexperience with the title as opposed to a flaw with the motion controls.

DNE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DNEatm
My only real concern is that that in the heat of battle, I sometimes found it difficult to quickly turn around and splat an enemy who's manoeuvred themselves behind me. Although I imagine that's more a case of my own inexperience with the title as opposed to a flaw with the motion controls.
I would up your analog stick camera sensitivity in your settings, that way you can precisely aim with the motion controls and quickly turn with the right analog stick.

Joshawott

Inkling
NNID
Joshawott
I would up your analog stick camera sensitivity in your settings, that way you can precisely aim with the motion controls and quickly turn with the right analog stick.
Thanks; that's definitely something I'll have to look into when I have the full version in my hands!

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm definitely not able to use motion controls. Yeah, the gamepad is big but motion controls really only aim up and down which honestly I can do myself and just as fast or faster with a higher sensitivity.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

I like motion controls, but between Splatoon's testfire, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and the 3 Zelda remakes on 3DS and Wii U, Splatoon somehow has the worst motion aiming of the 3. If the full game has more options for motion control, count me in. Until then, sticking with dual analog.

luigisly

Full Squid
I was one of the ones who initially recoiled away from the motion controls during the global testfires. But after thinking about it for a bit I think motion is the way to go. It might feel kind of slippery at first but with a little practice (completing single player campaign first with them) I think they will feel completely smooth and natural.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
I'm still getting used to them, however I can't wait to see if they will be used over standard controls. Like many have said, I mainly use them to look up and down and use the right stick to look left and right. That is the main way that they get intagrated for me.

dustmyte

Full Squid
NNID
dustmyte
You've covered pretty much everything OP and I fully agree, motion controls are the way to go. I have experience aiming with sticks and I play more console games than PC games these days... so I found it to be uncomfortable at first. However when I tried playing with it turned off, I quickly switched it back on. I believe it really gives you an edge in precision and target tracking. At times, it's almost unnatural like it's aiming for you like an Ouija board or something. I can't even notice my arms moving.

As I've been watching recorded footage of the Test Fire these past two days, you can see a difference between stick-aimers and gyro-aimers. People using sticks tend to aim with a degree of jerkiness and there are gaps in their reactions. People using the gyro are smoother to watch, you can see their crosshair sticking to their target.

It's best to learn now while everybody is still awkward and clumsy with them. In a month (week?) or so people will have mastered it.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
For now, yes, analog stick + gyro is the most ideal way to play Splatoon. But what about Wii Remote + Nunchuk pointing controls similar to Metroid Prime 3's implementation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom