• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Motion Controls and why they may be the ideal aiming setup in Splatoon

DNE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DNEatm
For now, yes, analog stick + gyro is the most ideal way to play Splatoon. But what about Wii Remote + Nunchuk pointing controls similar to Metroid Prime 3's implementation?
I would say that with regards to precision the Wiimote/Nunchuk is probably equal to the Gyro. What pushes the Gamepad controls over the top is that right analog stick which adds to your versatility. It allows you to make fast turns so that when people sneak up on you, you aren't doomed because you can't turn fast enough. The Wiimote did big turns by pointing at the edge of the screen, but doing that didn't allow for much turn speed adjustment which isn't very optimal because you aren't going to be able to adjust the speed for a quick turn at say 90/135/180 degrees (or anything in-between) depending on the situation compared to having that right analog stick for the job. Metroid Prime 3 got around this issue by having a lock-on button, but I don't think it would be fair to add that sort of thing into a competitive shooter.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
I used the motion controls for a while, and then found the controls toggle. I found analog controls infinitely better compared motion controls.

I actually tried the motion controls and while they weren't bad at all, it's it a little hard to quickly move your whole arms and torso compared to your thumbs to get an opposing inkling when you have half a second to get them before they get you. Maybe with practice I can do it quicker? You are right about precision though. Good read.:p

SOUP

Inkling
NNID
SOUP_TO_GO
The stick locks up all weird-like when you're movin' the gyroscope around. That really put me off using the motion controls, not being able to turn around while I was aiming at something.

ecaflip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
None
As much as I like motion controls for other things (mario kart with the steering wheel is all kinds of fun) shooters are just one thing that I'm hardwired into going controller only

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Pretty much, use whatever is comfortable for you. Honestly, I really don't like the feel of the gamepad's sticks, so motion controls is the way to go for me. And after using the motion controls for a majority of the 2nd test period, and trying to go to stick, I had to immediately go back. Vertical aiming is just bad with sticks in my opinion.

Also, pro tip: adjusting the sensitivity for gyro controls affects both the right stick AND the gyroscope.

Snowboar

Full Squid
NNID
Snowboar
Motion controls are probably "better" if you get really good with it, other than that I think it's going to be up to personal preferences. (personally, I think having low sensitivity with right stick is better, seeing as how much this game plays as the quake series)

Life

Senior Squid
As someone who played a ton of Kid Icarus: Uprising, motion controls are hugely underrated where accuracy is concerned. Just gotta get a sensitivity that works for you first.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Yeah I completely agree with you. The motion controls were really precise and intuitive for me, except when someone snuck behind me. But like someone else said, that could probably be remedied by adjusting the stick sensitivity or using the Y trick.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
I would say that with regards to precision the Wiimote/Nunchuk is probably equal to the Gyro. What pushes the Gamepad controls over the top is that right analog stick which adds to your versatility. It allows you to make fast turns so that when people sneak up on you, you aren't doomed because you can't turn fast enough. The Wiimote did big turns by pointing at the edge of the screen, but doing that didn't allow for much turn speed adjustment which isn't very optimal because you aren't going to be able to adjust the speed for a quick turn at say 90/135/180 degrees (or anything in-between) depending on the situation compared to having that right analog stick for the job. Metroid Prime 3 got around this issue by having a lock-on button, but I don't think it would be fair to add that sort of thing into a competitive shooter.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I should've clarified a bit further when I said "similar to Metroid Prime 3's implementation": what I meant to say was "similar to Prime 3's Advanced sensitivity settings", with the smaller deadzone not being the entire screen, Splatoon's current sensitivity settings, and no lock-on functionality. I was thinking that with the Wii Remote + Nunchuk, one can also turn by pressing/holding left or right on the +Control Pad, similar to using the Right Stick on the GamePad. One potential advantage that the Wiimote offers is easier access to the jump button (assumed to be A on the Wiimote) if he/she could modify both the deadzone perimeter and turn acceleration. My suggested Wii-based controls can be seen in further detail in this self-created thread: http://squidboards.com/threads/wii-remote-nunchuk-controls.368/ (with the B Button used for Primary Weapons)

(Sorry for the self-promotion/narcissism.)

hinata2000100

Inkster Jr.
It takes a bit of time to get used to, I guess, but when I tried the motion controls in the Global Testfire, I actually found it very hard to use. It just... didn't feel right to me or something. Motion controls are a bit wonky, yes, but I feel they're much more preferable to the dual analog. But then again, maybe I'm just a scrub who can't used to the man's way of playing.

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
The first two sessions I used the right stick, but I forgot to get rid of it the third time. I liked the people I was playing with, so I decided to stick with it. After a few games, it clicked, and now I don't think I can go back.

It takes a little while to rewire your brain to the new controls, so I understand if people don't use it.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
You know what I really want to see, even though it probably couldn't work due to the gamepad being a map? Frinking this (skip to 1:50):

Heck I want Nintendo to use any of the ideas in this trailer. They were all so awesome...
what happened Nintendo? What happened? *cries*

Haas

Inkling
NNID
Hasenpflugs
Similar to some others.. First session I changed from motion controls as quickly as I could, but the 2nd test session I was in I decided to try the motion control a bit and thought it was amazing.

At least with the Splatter and Roller. I couldn't aim for crap with the Charger. Gotta get more used to it I suppose!

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
motion controls always have been better than dual stick even if only because you don't have to claw or stop aiming to use your buttons

what people, including me, are complaining about is the fact that the gamepad is an awful controller to use motion controls with

I'd rather claw and miss a few shots than have my arms feel like they're going to drop off after a couple hours of play.

unless the wiimote/nunchuck combo is available as a control scheme of course, in which case sign me up.

also, as confirmed in a separate thread, resetting your camera by changing your character's facing and tapping Y is a thing that all control schemes can do, so the faster turning isn't super important
Are you aware that you can actually put your arms on your knees while sitting if you don't want to get tired using the gyroscope ?
It's not like you need to directlty aim at your screen with your Gamepad.
The way it works is that an initial axis is set (which you can be reset with Y), regardless of how you handle your Gamepad, and from that initial position, the game will follow the movements you do.
With a high enough sensibility, you barely have to move your hands around, while still having a lot of control over your aiming since it's that precise. In fact, you just need to rotate your wrist to maneuver the gyroscope at some point, and you use the right analog stick when you want to rotate the camera around. I personally went for a 3.5 sensibility, and my arms weren't exhausted at all after 1 hour of gameplay.

Gotta say that the default sensibility (-1.0) is very awful.

Last edited:

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
motion controls felt very awkward at first to me, but after a bit it just made so much sense.

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
After about 20 minutes of gameplay, I forgot I was even using motion controls. Splatoon is one of those games that just "clicks" for me and lets me forget the controller, TV, and my living room even exist. I wasn't playing the Inkling. I WAS the inkling. And that's something special. Not many games can do that for me.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
As long I'm not using close-ranged weapons such as the Roller, motion controls are the way to go for me.
I can't wait to use the sniper splatchargers with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom