• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Motion Controls and why they may be the ideal aiming setup in Splatoon

Palas

Inkling
NNID
JPalas
Motion controls are the best way to play Splatoon for me, it is easier to aim you can turn around faster, not being able to move Y axis with the right stick when using motion controls is an excellent decision (If you could, you would have to reset the camera a lot of times). And that's not just for my favourite weapon the splattershot, it makes it easier for me to aim with the splat charger, the ranged roller attack and the grenades.

Saltystick

Senior Squid
NNID
Wummer
After covering the entire tutorial map in ink i got used to motion controls and they do indeed feel really natural and great once you've gotten used to them.
I will still need some practice in normal games to get completely comfortable with it (and well, find the right sensibility) tho

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Motion controls are positional. You move a given distance, your cursor moves the exact same distance instantly. You have full control over both large turns and small adjustments. It's the same exact principle as a mouse (granted, it's a little harder to get used to, but in theory should have the same potential for top play).

An analog stick, on the other hand, is only velocity based. You move the stick and wait for your cursor to reach its destination. Sure, you can increase the sensitivity to speed it up a bit, but then you lose the ability to make small adjustments. No matter what you do, it has serious limitations.

It honestly amazes me that there are people in this day and age who still insist on clinging to analogs. It broke my heart how Kid Icarus got panned for doing something new, especially considering that it was objectively better. We finally have real alternatives that can be used on a console, time to move on already.

Remember there are sensitivity settings, experiment around if the default isn't comfortable. Turning it up is almost certainly a good idea to avoid straining your arms.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I've felt that I can do well with both, but I still feel comfortable with dual-analog. We'll see if maybe putting some more time in with motion controls in the full game will game my mind. But I wasn't having any problems in any of my games with dual-analog thus far. ^_^

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
This is the first real action shooter I've ever played (Portal is more about solving puzzles; Portal 2 and Metroid Prime are more about exploration), so I took to the motion controls immediately. If you come into Splatoon from other shooters it's adapt or die though; even if your weapon doesn't require the utmost precision, someone that hasn't mastered the motion controls will always be at a disadvantage against someone that has. Sorry if that may come harder to you than others, but that doesn't make motion controls any less superior.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
I've felt that I can do well with both, but I still feel comfortable with dual-analog. We'll see if maybe putting some more time in with motion controls in the full game will game my mind. But I wasn't having any problems in any of my games with dual-analog thus far. ^_^
Yeah this. I don't really see any clear advantages with motion controls if you can play well with stick. If anything your reactions may be better with them. But I'll give both a fair chance

get ROWDY

Inkster Jr.
How on earth anyone can use motion controls is beyond me, especially when you have to aim left/right with the stick anyways. It's great people are comfortable with, but damn I guess it's just not for me. On the technical side of things, I can't see how motion controls give an advantage over sticks. It would be nice to change sensitivity for X and Y though, I increased the sensitivity for stick control and up/down moves faster than left/right

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
How on earth anyone can use motion controls is beyond me, especially when you have to aim left/right with the stick anyways.
Gyro controls work both horizontally and vertically, you do not need the stick.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Gyro controls work both horizontally and vertically, you do not need the stick.
To be fair, it's difficult to make any sharp turns with motion controls alone. You really do need the stick for that.

Still think motion controls are better for actually aiming, though.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Turning via gyro a lot faster than slowly panning with the stick. Just turn your sensitivity up if you need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom