• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

motion controls appreciation post + message for sticks players

Lisku

Inkling Commander
honestly thank you for this perspective - the common caveat to “you should learn motion controls” that isn’t acknowledging mobility/motion sickness/other disability factors is “it’s perfectly fine to play sticks if you don’t want to get better at the game” which. is something i’ve definitely repeated before 🧍. and it’s meant to mean “we aren’t holding everyone to competitive standards, it’s okay to just play the game casually” but it has this undertone of “it’s okay to be bad 😊 which you are if you play sticks 😊 it’s not like you’ll ever be a competitive player 😊” which isn’t cool. and i totally didn’t notice that implication until now.

i’d say that every player should be aware that, yes, if you’re able to use motion controls, it’s much easier to aim that way than with sticks. if you can’t use motion for any reason… whether or not splatoon should have aim assist for stick controls to level the playing field a bit is another topic, but i still think you deserve to know the reality of the situation - unfortunately, you’re stuck using the harder option. and if you just don’t want to use motion, you still should know why many players swear by it. informed choices and all that

but like - that’s what it is. harder. not “if you use sticks, you’re doomed to be bad at splatoon forever.” the reason people are impressed you got to S+ with sticks isn’t, or at least shouldn’t, be because we think you’re supposed to be a bad player - it’s because we know stick aim is harder, and it’s legitimately impressive to rise through the ranks on sticks! (though i can imagine it gets tiring to hear that over and over.) and like… admittedly i cannot name any (if anyone else can name anyone feel free to chime in), but i know there are/were successful competitive players who play sticks. fewer than motion players, sure, but they’re out there.

basically: i’m sorry us motion players can be jerks about stick aim, intentionally or not (and we should probably all be a little more mindful about accidentally being jerks about it). i respect you, keep doing what you’re doing
I don’t have any motion sickness or disabilities I just like it. The entire point of this game to have fun and why do something you don’t like?

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Surprisingly I'm also a handeld player because of wacky internet issues, but I've always preferred using motion aim on handeld rather than on tv, even with a pro controller (especially for chargers). My aim feels way more stable in handeld, I totally prefer it, even with the screen moving

Really goes to show everyone's got different preferences!
I also use gyro aim on handheld, even on chargers
preferring handheld is wild, though

crows

Inkster Jr.
Premium
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6103-0887-9214
motion controls on handheld sounds like hell. more power to you though

neonscreenlight

Semi-Pro Squid
i replayed super mario odyssey recently and i kept trying to move my controller to move the camera, lmao

also hello i am your representative split joycon player. i have a pro controller but i suck at using it in splatoon specifically

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
motion controls on handheld sounds like hell. more power to you though
I mean hey, thanks haha.
You know what I'll even add that I use -2.5 sensitivity on gyro (+3 on sticks) for handeld, so I like my reticle being very stable, also yes my flick shots are ridiculous why do you ask

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
I don’t have any motion sickness or disabilities I just like it. The entire point of this game to have fun and why do something you don’t like?
and there’s nothing wrong with that! i brought up disabilities preventing someone from playing with motion controls because any conversation on the motion vs. stick issue is incomplete if we don’t mention them. but if you just prefer sticks, all power to you.

i replayed super mario odyssey recently and i kept trying to move my controller to move the camera, lmao
i do the same thing when i play a lot of other games on my switch LOL. last time i opened acnh i was trying to use motion controls there… for some reason…

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432

also hello i am your representative split joycon player. i have a pro controller but i suck at using it in splatoon specifically
Wow SPLIT joycons???? I tried them for like 15 minutes in s2 and I couldn't stand it tbh. Isn't the gyro only linked to the right joycon or something? More power to you I don't think I could ever use them

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I mean hey, thanks haha.
You know what I'll even add that I use -2.5 sensitivity on gyro (+3 on sticks) for handeld, so I like my reticle being very stable, also yes my flick shots are ridiculous why do you ask
how
I use +5/+5 on handheld and it's still awkward

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I use split joycons for mariokart 8 because I use wii remote + nunchuck for mkwii (yes, present tense)

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
how
I use +5/+5 on handheld and it's still awkward
Well, I'll show you!
Flicks the entire switch to the right while doing a full body contortion to hit a 180 shot

To be fair I used to have -4 sens a while back but I've slowly increased it to -2.5 and I'm happy with how it feels now, and I got used to flicking the right stick frequently.
I actually prefer joycons over a pro controller in general because I can use the right stick with the base of my thumb while still holding the B button

neonscreenlight

Semi-Pro Squid
Wow SPLIT joycons???? I tried them for like 15 minutes in s2 and I couldn't stand it tbh. Isn't the gyro only linked to the right joycon or something? More power to you I don't think I could ever use them
you are correct! gyro controls are only on the right joycon. i keep my left hand still and move my right hand for motion controls. it's convenient, then, that all the important movements on the right side of a controller don't require the use of a joystick (well, r3 i guess but it's still just a button press)

of course the downside is that i have a 50% chance of dislocating my wrist every time i need to do a 180 😔

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
My best friend is a brush 1 trick and sticks only and honestly I think he does pretty well with it

At the end of the day its all down to prefenence, imo, if you're able to do your role in a game effectively thats all that matters.

a hot mess

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
They/Them
NNID
london
Switch Friend Code
SW-0705-2349-2993
i play carbon roller deco on handheld with pro controller motion. i have won 6 consecutive matches today.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
At the beginning of the game's release I switched a lot between handheld and joycons (then I got a pro controller for christmas and never looked back). I used motion from the start so I don't really have a comparison, but one of the things I actually really enjoyed about motion in handheld was that I could play standing up and physically rotate my body to turn in-game. It felt very natural and helped me with a lot of things that I needed quick turns and precision for (this was originally the only way I beat Target Town in Alterna, hah). Plus I figure it's nice to stand up and stretch the legs every once in a while during long play sessions, so win-win.

I'm also in the boat of being thrown off a bit whenever I go play another game that doesn't have motion. The muscle memory to keep trying to reset my camera in animal crossing or pokemon never really seems to go away, hah.

I feel like y'all have pretty much said all there is to say about sticks vs motion. I feel like there's just this underlying comp viewpoint vs casual viewpoint conflict somewhat embedded into it, where we're not always aware of how our viewpoints are coloring how we interpret others' choices. Like there's people who have the most fun with the game by winning as much as they can, and in the process make a very active effort to learn and practice everything they can that can give them an edge. Even when some of those things have a really uncomfortable learning curve that isn't at all fun to get over in the short term, it pays off in the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment of the long term, if that's what you are seeking. But when that's what you're seeking and has always been what you are seeking it can be difficult to comprehend why someone else doesn't seek that and wouldn't want to do the thing that would help them win more and therefore (by your metric) have more fun.

Sometimes I think there's also just this inherent assumption that if you're hanging out in a splatoon space online you must want to get better at the game, and that can lead to people saying some kind of thoughtless things, not necessarily out of an attempt to be condescending but just out of a desire to encourage that person to weather the difficulties of that steep learning curve in pursuit of improvement, not realizing that that's not something that person is interested in doing. (Obviously there are some people who are actually being rude and they need to cut it out but that's another matter.)

I didn't come to enjoy competition until fairly recently, and back then also had generally had the viewpoint of 'the game is supposed to be fun, why wouldn't I do something that isn't fun.' and that's a totally valid viewpoint. I would quit games when they got too grindy/boring or started to feel like a chore (hence my poor animal crossing island going through intense neglect so many times, lol) because what I needed from that game was a sense of enjoyment at that moment. I wasn't looking to make an investment that would pay off later, I just wanted to unwind from work. Even now I am still like that with certain games. It just depends on what need you are trying to fulfill when you play the game I guess.

Madt123

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
NNID
xerneas
Switch Friend Code
SW-5046-3858-9981
i used to be a sticks playing uneducated child from the release of splatoon 3 to early fresh season 2023. now that i have made the change to motion, i can deliver blows way faster. the aim is more precise and i cannot imagine a splatoon game without motion controls.
same here

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet

I LOVE SEPARATE JOYCON AIM!!!
it’s really convenient being able to only need to move one arm for aiming
but mine had terrible drift and their gyro function was having a ton of problems so now i been using pro controller :(

neonscreenlight

Semi-Pro Squid
I LOVE SEPARATE JOYCON AIM!!!
it’s really convenient being able to only need to move one arm for aiming
but mine had terrible drift and their gyro function was having a ton of problems so now i been using pro controller :(
yeah that's also a downside of playing like this. i am very familiar with the calibrate control sticks screen lol

Doodlebob

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2543-4511-3432
Tbh?

My thoughts if someone said they used stick controls would be like. "You're weird bro"
Even though, in reality, they're built different fr. (In a good way)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom