Mr. Grizz's sewer cleaning service, aka Big Run

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
So, how has everyones big run been going? What do we all think about undertow for the map? How lovely was it to cheese normal tide rush on the pillar of invurnerability?

Personally big run has been a good one. Undertow is a challenging map but very rewarding if you can keep on top of things. Low tide is a fun gimmick, normal tide has that assholish gusher behind the basket and the elevation in the map makes it really nice to throw eggs up towards the basket. Perfect map for the Grizz co. charger as well.

And the rush wave cheese is way to funny. Just sit on top of a pillar you can easily jump to, shoot downwards while having the ability to refill your tank and have the golden eggs plop down near the basket. Kinda like inkblot, but better imo.

Cephalobro

It has been great, the fact that the Scales earned from King Salmonids doubled is a huge positive. It's also the first one in which my high score is well over 140 (for now it's just 147 Golden Eggs, but I might get it even higher should the odds be in my favor). So far so good overall, also I cheesed the Glowfly waves, some teammates didn't get the strategy, unfortunately.

While my current high score could theoretically be enough for me to get to the 5%, I want to beat it to ensure that I get that golden badge.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
Yeah, double scales have been (insultingly) great. 24 bronze scales is something to behold. Myself im at 142 through a stroke of luck in FL. Could probably push it higher if I was lucky on the waves. Mothership/NT/NT was pretty good, but some HT would be nice. If the trend holds, it'll barely ducks under the 5% mark but I hope it wont.

TOD13

Senior Squid
Pronouns
he/him
it was a bit rocky at first but i got the hang of it. so far the biggest problem is the weapon handouts; sometimes my team will be all chargers (which is especially problematic because of the fish sticks). and the double scales thing is great, i have no idea why they didnt implement it earlier. my high score for eggs rn is 107, im hoping i can get into at least the top 25%, but who knows.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
I have seen triple charger way more than I'd like to admit. Although the grizz charger can hold it's own very well. One of my fav grizz co weapons for sure.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
Undertow is a fine map for salmon. I like it better than Inkblot, but not Wahoo. I thought that lowtide was pretty nasty as first however with some practice it has been manageable. Double scales are great unless you get a bunch of bronze scales as I've been trying to horde some more silver and gold scales for rewards. Mostly just saving up for when a new batch of returning salmon run gear gets added.

It does feel like you need to lucky with wave types if you want a lot of eggs. Mothership and Fog are ones to net you a lot but they're pretty rare. This is something I've noticed from the other Big Runs as I'm sure my hi-scores have been with waves where the mothership had appeared. Been fortunate to get some good waves with great teammates for a 162 egg hi-score. So I'm pretty safe for 5% and will keep going because I want those double scales.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
I think boss management is key tbh. got 51 on a NT, but we managed to keep the map under control. Then you can easily toss eggs to the basket.

Yeah I feel the double scales. So many bronze scales, with luckily some silver to get me close to the black slopsuit.

Cephalobro

Yeah, I don't really like that entire un-inkable area for midtide and hightide. I feel it's there just to tick me off when I'm trying to wipe out Stingers.

Cephalobro

Okay, so I managed to increase my high score to 157, so I think I'm guaranteed to be part of the 5%.

Cephalobro

I will still play to get as many Silver Scales as possible because, for whatever reason, one of the Banners cost 999 Silver Scales. Another one costs 333 Golden Scales, but at least that one matches with all of the other hard-to-get banners (being golden), so it's justified.

Repetition of the same rant aside, I hope Big Runs become more common because farming for Scales can be such a pain otherwise.

Last edited:

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
I'm surprised to hear you're all having such good luck with this - freelancing this has been a nightmare. It's not a guarantee to even clear all 3 waves because of how tough Undertow is as a SR map. If you can't get your bosses under control, it snowballs incredibly quickly. Every quirk of freelance is magnified on a map like this - leaving fish sticks half dead, going out for eggs in the middle of nowhere, guarding eggs, etc. At least it's generally been better with friends.

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
It would be great except for this one major flaw: WHY IN THE HELL CAN'T WE CHOOSE OUR OWN WEAPONS?!!

If it wasn't for this one problem, I would play Salmon Run much more often

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
I'm surprised to hear you're all having such good luck with this - freelancing this has been a nightmare. It's not a guarantee to even clear all 3 waves because of how tough Undertow is as a SR map. If you can't get your bosses under control, it snowballs incredibly quickly. Every quirk of freelance is magnified on a map like this - leaving fish sticks half dead, going out for eggs in the middle of nowhere, guarding eggs, etc. At least it's generally been better with friends.
FL is a crapshoot sometimes, high scores often involve a mothership or night waves for easy egg gathering, but NT is really solid this time around as well. The map has multiple safe routes that help immensely (like the left side safe route to the left gusher, perfectly safe stinger murder or the U shaped grate around the wall on the right to kill the spawns in the water and be near the right most gusher). Friends do make it easier because comms, but I think that at certain EVP levels, at least you a guaranteed teammates that know what they are doing.

It would be great except for this one major flaw: WHY IN THE HELL CAN'T WE CHOOSE OUR OWN WEAPONS?!!

It kinda gets solved with eggstra work, but removing the RNG would change the, in my opinion, best aspect of forcing you to learn to at least be able to handle every weapon in a PvE setting.

Cephalobro

Haven't increased my high score since achieving 157 Golden Eggs, but at least my Silver Scale count is starting to near 500, which would've taken at least a whole month of non-stop playing from 404 Silver Scales at the start of this month.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
Same, cannot seem to pass 142. That said, i doubled my bronze scale count at this point... Its something.

My black or white slopsuit is also close though. Finally will be able to have a different suit from my usual pink.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
To me the map is sorta balanced out by having grizz charger around considering it is one of the most powerful grizz weapons. Of course, it doesn't do well against a couple bosses and you don't always receive it. However I will reiterate and say that I was very lucky to get some good teams early on as yesterday I wasn't so fortunate. Not really losing much but often just winning by the skin of our teeth.

Y'know I would say something along the lines of "it's there to keep the game mode fresh and being able to choose would make it too easy." On the other hand, getting Range Blaster 14 different times this Big Run makes me reconsider that stance.

Cephalobro

Plus, I really hate it when I or my teammates are handed the Snipewriter or any other unconventional weapon that hinders the team more than it helps against the Salmonids.

I will always put the Dynamo Roller on the Salmon Run pedestal because of how it shatters Cohocks' bulkiness like there's no tomorrow, that's one of the unconventional weapons that I want to be handed out when normal waves are active.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
I feel that, I have seen way to many gootubers and snipewriters today. They're good in their own right, but any weapon like them that has a more defined playstyle (dynamo swings, the non piercing chargers, really anything like that) often are the bane of some peoples existence.

Like i know the dynamo is good, I just cannot seem to play it as good as i'd like. Same with Bamboo, Squiffer or Explosher.

Though I am happy about 142. Hopefully it'll be just enough.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
2023-06-11 20-04-37.mp4_snapshot_00.45.511.png

My sentiments exactly, Big Man. Sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom