Mr. Grizz's sewer cleaning service, aka Big Run

Cephalobro

Wow, I was honestly a little bit worried that 157 wasn't going to be enough, glad my fears were put to rest. Now that's another event that I finished getting all the badges for! Now it's Challenge and Eggstra Work that's left.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
Holy, well guess I did see it coming for 142. At the very least I'm happy to have improved my general level of skill. Perhaps next big run.

Thats also higher than I expected tbh. Guess we'll see the next one climb even further.

Cephalobro

I do hope that the trend of the 5% threshold increasing has ended since it's really not fair for those who try their best to miss out on the first place because of luck.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
I do hope that the trend of the 5% threshold increasing has ended since it's really not fair for those who try their best to miss out on the first place because of luck.
I saw a figure floating around that we had a third less players. Hopefully that ticks back up next run, otherwise it might be a death spiral for the mode, bleeding players because they have no motivation because of the threshold, which goes up because there are less players.

i made it into the top 20%, i am very proud of myself 🎊🎊🎊 (i got 138)
Nice! I'd argue that that might even be vloser to 5% than you think! Lets grab the gold next run!

Cephalobro

I saw a figure floating around that we had a third less players. Hopefully that ticks back up next run, otherwise it might be a death spiral for the mode, bleeding players because they have no motivation because of the threshold, which goes up because there are less players.
The doubling of the Scales is sure to get more players to play Big Run. Since I saw that even most of those to usually accept grinding can agree that 999 Silver Scales or 333 Golden Scales are a bit excessive.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
The doubling of the Scales is sure to get more players to play Big Run. Since I saw that even most of those to usually accept grinding can agree that 999 Silver Scales or 333 Golden Scales are a bit excessive.
Yeah, although double scales can be a fickle mistress, at least it also helps that you farm more kings when you sit there an try to push your score, rewarding you playing a lot.

I still don't know how people have the time to grind 999/333 without big run tbh, that sounds kinda miserable. I get grinding but there is some point at which I'd be to mentally checked out to even play well enough to get to the king, much less get a good time on it for the most scales.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
Those golden egg scores have really jumped up huh? Was honestly shocked to see them so high this time around. Going off from what Blåhydra said about a third of players dropping off this Big Run I wonder why that could be. Most likely just the active playerbase has shrunk since release and Big Run isn't new or exciting anymore. Still a third seems like so many people.

Also I don't believe that double scale rewards entice too many people. If your not interested in the rewards they have, which are all salmon run related, then I doubt people would change their mind on that aspect. Personally I only care about the returning SR gear and have no interest in the banners or stickers.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
I think people theorized that ToTK and general population fall off was in part to blame. But I fully agree that a third is a lot. Perhaps nothing to "freshen up" big run this time around had to do with it? Or just people getting burned out on SR in general?

I just hope it doesn't decrease further. SR is already kinda niche at times I suppose, but having the event becoming "impossible" for the average player (without a team/VC/what have you) to do good in would just keep a downward spiral going.

Cephalobro

I fear what will happen to Eggstra Work considering all it has are two more waves, which is a lot less special when compared to Big Run. I think Salmon Run should really take cues from other horde modes from other multiplayer games to start becoming more interesting to players.

Imagine a mode where you and your teammates use some barricades to slow the Salmonids down as you figure out an escape path. Or how about one where you spend Power Eggs to get different weapons or upgrades? Something that's not just the simple "collect and deposit Golden Eggs" that's also not limited to special events so as to give players options.

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
I hope Eggstra Work gets more attention now that there is FL, but I fear that ship might have sailed. At the very least I'm hyped to try it in FL next time I have the chance.

I think core SR will always be the only "real" SR mode, especially with achievements attached to it now. Maybe more single random/all random rotations would keep interest piqued, but there is just something about SR that requires a very different skillset from turf/anarchy that will just not do it for people. And then we have bleed off due to people getting discouraged or just dropping the game. Not to mention, a year after launch the lower ranks are probably.... rather special to climb through. Didn't the same happen with 2?

I think either of the two proposed game modes sounds really fun! But I don't know if it'll attract a new audience. I hope that we can see an uptick soon, hopefully also with the one year anniversary on the horizon. A new ranked mode + SR mode would be actually perfect for that.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
I know that Eggstra Work will have a solo queue this go around so that might lower the hi-score average. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be possible to get 5% unless you have a coordinated team. Probably won't bother with it this go around as I didn't find the repetition fun last time. Kinda weird how taking out the randomness removes the fun as well. At least, for me anyway.

Last edited:

Blåhydra

Inkster Jr.
I mean, it is kinda part of the skill of being hood in SR to be able to handle every weapon at least somewhat competently. Taking that out just leaves how well you can plan and execute.

The 5% im not sure about. If the player number bounces back, FL might be able to nab gold if everyone knows what they should do and sticks with a team for a bit to get used to each others weaknesses, but you'd have to be lucky to find that.

Not that FL normally also can be a crapshoot sometimes, but thats besides the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom