• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

My personal 'rule of thumb' tier list

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
There is no hard tournament data yet. Therefore everything is just being based on opinion.

The key factor of a "tier list" assumes equal skill of each player along with the general POTENTIAL of success of the weapon for the masses and also how many people are using it. I am simply pointing out the flawed logic and elitist undertones of how people are trying to push this "tier discussion" as the gospel truth of bad weapon vs. good weapon and good player vs. bad player, when this is just all based on "potential" and popularity anyway. As I've said earlier if we are just taking effort vs. payout I agree with the list, but at the end of the day the list is irrelevant and you guys are getting WAYYY too hyped defending it. Calm down.

I'm not saying tier lists aren't useful but a "high tier" weapon with a low skill user will not out preform "low tier" and a highly skilled user. At the end of the day none of it really matters as like I said skills trump a tier list anyway. You can continue being salty with your high tier weapon when a low tier weapon user wipes you out.
Exactly; however I fail to see where my "elitist overtones are," especially when I specifically defended lower ranked players earlier in the thread. You are assuming a lot about me, all of which is wrong. Obviously nothing beats anything 100% of the time, so using that argument to refute a tier list made it seem like you didn't know what you were talking about.

My point was that player skill level does not change a tier list because it assumes equal skill. Which I think you agree with, but you can't see past me being am "elitis snob" so idk.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
A tier list is simply a ranking of how strong characters (weapons) are compared to the whole cast AT THE CURRENT MOMENT IN TIME. Of course the game is young and tiers are a weak observation, but they still exist by definition.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
A tier list is simply a ranking of how strong characters (weapons) are compared to the whole cast AT THE CURRENT MOMENT IN TIME. Of course the game is young and tiers are a weak observation, but they still exist by definition.
And it is useful at this current moment in time. Though as others have pointed out, if you really try you can perform with any weapon.

The most useful thing to know about the weapon you want to learn is what it can and cannot do. For example: you cannot charge into people with the Jr because it sucks at killing, however you can get to any part of the map since bubbler gives you tons of mobility. The bubbler is also great at closing out tower control and splattershot zones because of the team utility. Also splat bombs are great for trapping foes and tricking them into getting into your short range. They also deal with campers. The ss tentatek is a monster at charging in and killing people since it is only outclassed my the gals pretty much. It also flushes out snipers withe suction bombs and inkzooka, the bombs going to hard to reach places, and the zooka giving it insane range. It is an extremely good all around weapon that is only really weak to the gals and long range weapons with a short ttk. You cannot approach a 96 or ss pro and expect to live. But this is why many people consider it top tier, because the weapon has few drawbacks and can do almost everything.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
There is no hard tournament data yet. Therefore everything is just being based on opinion.

The key factor of a "tier list" assumes equal skill of each player along with the general POTENTIAL of success of the weapon for the masses and also how many people are using it. I am simply pointing out the flawed logic and elitist undertones of how people are trying to push this "tier discussion" as the gospel truth of bad weapon vs. good weapon and good player vs. bad player, when this is just all based on "potential" and popularity anyway. As I've said earlier if we are just taking effort vs. payout I agree with the list, but at the end of the day the list is irrelevant and you guys are getting WAYYY too hyped defending it. Calm down.

I'm not saying tier lists aren't useful but a "high tier" weapon with a low skill user will not out preform "low tier" and a highly skilled user. At the end of the day none of it really matters as like I said skills trump a tier list anyway. You can continue being salty with your high tier weapon when a low tier weapon user wipes you out.
It is not even that we don't have tournament data yet. A big part of it is that we still don't have a big footing on what the meta game is. At this point it is pretty much purely speculation. But without organized competitive matches, there really is no solid way to develop the meta right now. Of course experienced players will voice their opinions on what helps to succeed in competitive with the lack of communications and such. But until the big update in August, we are just stuck sitting here talking about Splatoon and speculating.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
You guys realize this is a tier list for solo queue and not team matchmade ranked. What weapons are effective in each will probably greatly vary. We do know a lot about the solo queue meta as it is at this point in time, but nothing about the team matchmade one.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Exactly; however I fail to see where my "elitist overtones are," especially when I specifically defended lower ranked players earlier in the thread. You are assuming a lot about me, all of which is wrong. Obviously nothing beats anything 100% of the time, so using that argument to refute a tier list made it seem like you didn't know what you were talking about.

My point was that player skill level does not change a tier list because it assumes equal skill. Which I think you agree with, but you can't see past me being am "elitis snob" so idk.
I'm going off the whole vibe of the thread and your patronizing tone, I never said you personally were elitist. Again, calm yourself. We're good.

You're right that I do agree with "player skill level does not change a tier list because it assumes equal skill" as I directly said it. I even said in earlier posts I agree with the OPs list if the criteria is effort vs payoff. But my point is that is why tier lists aren't an end all big deal.

They are based on what a popular amount of players find easier/more effective to use rather than actually skill. The amount of animosity and belittling in this thread isn't relative to the actual importance of a "high tier" weapon vs. a "low tier" weapon in the game because even if the players hypothetically had the same skill there are other external factors which is why people can't forgot at the end of the day its just a probability. Even the hard fact numbers, just a probability.

Oatsy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaOtmel
I managed to get to A- rank with it so it cant be 'unusable' as some claim it to be. just a matter of knowing how to use it.
I know one guy who's actually A+ and only uses brush.
He said he's having problems getting A+ 99 though, so iunno.

I like how you automatically assume I'm stuck at C+. I'm not stuck. I just don't play ranked very much, because I always seem to get stuck with sucky teams who play like they're 6 year olds. No matter the weapon I'm using, I can only do so much to carry.
Your team can only hold you back so much, man. I'd say maybe 15% of your losses are completely blameable on your team.

At C+, I was regularly having games like 26/3 where we won 0-100 in under two minutes. Rest of my team went like 2/1 or 1/2. You absolutely can carry or throw a game on your own performance.

A+ just means you're above average. I've made it to A+99 but there are still lots of people in that rank. It doesn't determine your skill level or anything but that said being in A+ does mean you probably are better than a player in B but not by a significant amount. Any player can make it to A+ with a low tier weapon but the meta is still developing and we don't have any clear cut garbage weapons so anything can work if you put in the time.
It's kind of weird, there are some people in A+ who I would say aren't much better than the average A-, and then there are some A+ who just make other A+'s look bad. I expect this difference in skill to balance out as people get kicked out of A as the community as a whole improves.

Last edited:

shane3x

Full Squid
Inkbrush being at the very bottom shows an incredibly poor understanding of it's applications.

16bit

Inkling
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
What's bad about the Aerospray RG in Splat Zones? Sorry, I'm reasonably new to Splat Zones.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
What's bad about the Aerospray RG in Splat Zones? Sorry, I'm reasonably new to Splat Zones.
I would argue it's because whilst coverage still matters, it is not as essential in splat zones as it is in turf war, so the Aerospray loses its main strength. It's major flaws however, like range in firefights, are highlighted due to the mode being much more confrontational and kill focused.

16bit

Inkling
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
I would argue it's because whilst coverage still matters, it is not as essential in splat zones as it is in turf war, so the Aerospray loses its main strength. It's major flaws however, like range in firefights, are highlighted due to the mode being much more confrontational and kill focused.
Thanks for the explanation, that helped.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
some people here act like having A+ is hard. solo matchmaking is bull shot also. then same roles can normally make you lose a lot too.

16bit

Inkling
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
some people here act like having A+ is hard. solo matchmaking is bull shot also. then same roles can normally make you lose a lot too.
Yeah. I just got into rank today, and I'm already in C and almost in C+.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
The Inkbrush is good at staying alive and spreading ink. If you can make that work you can make the Inkbrush work.

I think that we'll find over time that Ink spread will mean more in ranked modes than we currently see it, so if you want to make the Inkbrush work in ranked that's a good place to start. Unfortuantely the solo queue meta will have to catch up to you.

Last edited:

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
The Inkbrush is good at staying alive and spreading ink. If you can make that work you can make the Inkbrush work.

I think that we'll find over time that Ink spread will mean more in ranked modes than we currently see it, so if you want to make the Inkbrush work in ranked that's a good place to start.
I actually started to apply this recently since I realized how similar the Brush and Aerospray are in that they both accel at spreading ink more so than they do in battle; not to say neither can be used to fight when provoked. In tower control especially, I tend to stay off the tower, kill enemies and keep the ground covered with my squads ink since everyone elses weapons arent as suited to cover the ground. This grants more movement options for the group which definitely is a contribution if you ask me.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis

I think that we'll find over time that Ink spread will mean more in ranked modes than we currently see it, so if you want to make the Inkbrush work in ranked that's a good place to start. Unfortuantely the solo queue meta will have to catch up to you.
As a carbon roller user I really appreciate inkbrushes (when they don't suicide), since my weapon thrives on having lots of ink to move around in.

The inkbrush definitely has a unique roll in splat zones, you aren't really supposed to fight people. You maintain control of the map through use of your sprinkler and ink spreading capabilities, which in turn lets you support your team with inkstrike and mop up fights. You help your team roll out extremely fast, and also can annoy or distract enemies by running around in their base. Because of it's abundance of supportive qualities it is hard for an inkbrush to hard carry their team or make up for bad team mates, what it really does is compliment your team and support them. Notice I said hard carry, not carry. The inkbrush can carry, every weapon can, it's just that it cannot compensate for team mate inadequacy nearly as well as most other weapons because charging in and kill people isn't really what it does. This is why it is low tier in the solo queue ranked meta, not useless by any stretch, but just low tier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom