• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

My personal 'rule of thumb' tier list

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
This couldn't be more wrong. You need to be VERY careful about how you engage as if someone sees you they can literally walk backwards out of your range, easily killing you.
Burst bombs bro.

*Edit*

If you animation cancel a flick into a burst bomb, they are one-shotted, two-shotted or, in no shape to backpedal and try to kill you because the next burst bomb will kill them before they can try.

If they are at some really long range where the primary fire can't do anything and even burst bombs are unreliable, then they are outside of any range that any other roller can deal with, which is why I said that the Carbon Roller doesn't need to be stealthier than any other roller. I'm comparing it to other rollers only.

Last edited:

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Burst bombs bro.
Unless you have a perfect connection both ways, hitting two direct burst bombs usually isn't possible. Anyone of competence can kill you before you get 2 burst bombs off.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Unless you have a perfect connection both ways, hitting two direct burst bombs usually isn't possible. Anyone of competence can kill you before you get 2 burst bombs off.
Yeah check out my edits. I'm not talking about getting two burst bombs off, I'm talking about animation canceling a flick into a burst bomb. Do you know what that is? The effective kill range is about that of a Kraken Roller, and I'm comparing the Carbon Roller to other rollers here.

Basically, if you disagree with what I said you kinda have to either argue that the animation cancel doesn't put the Carbon Roller on par with other rollers, or argue that the other rollers don't need to be stealthy, so I don't think we're on the same page.

*Edit*

Also, I main default Splattershot and landing burst bombs is not hard after some experience, and my aim is generally terrible lol. It's easy and safe to take out a weakened opponent with a burst bomb while retreating.

Last edited:

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Yeah check out my edits. I'm not talking about getting two burst bombs off, I'm talking about animation canceling a flick into a burst bomb. Do you know what that is? The effective kill range is about that of a Kraken Roller, and I'm comparing the Carbon Roller to other rollers here.

Basically, if you disagree with what I said you kinda have to either argue that the animation cancel doesn't put the Carbon Roller on par with other rollers, or argue that the other rollers don't need to be stealthy, so I don't think we're on the same page.

*Edit*

Also, I main default Splattershot and landing burst bombs is not hard after some experience, and my aim is generally terrible lol. It's easy and safe to take out a weakened opponent with a burst bomb while retreating.
I never said carbon wasn't on par with other rollers, I disagreed with your notion that it can just charge in. It has to be very careful about how it charges in if you want to get more than suicide or a 1 for 1. Also I just did some testing, and was unaware that using the burst bomb first allowed the flick to animation cancel it. I always did it in the reverse order. That still doesn't make it quite as good as splat roller reach wise since you have to hit a "skill shot" but it's better. It also consumes a good bit of ink.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
How's this work? Do you just try to throw a bomb as you're flicking or what's the timing?

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
How's this work? Do you just try to throw a bomb as you're flicking or what's the timing?
Throw, then flick. After you see the bomb hit and or is mad close, flick. TTK is rather slow, but the kill feels more satisfying.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Eh.. I think Aerosprays are pretty good but this is an early tier list so I wont judge. This thread though tells me exactly why tiers really don't work in a TPS/FPS, as long as one weapon isn't completely useless or completely overpowered everything likely counters something else. This thread got really hostile way too fast. Please, keep your tiers in your right genre, that's like trying to find the best map for PvP in Super Mario Bros., sure, you CAN do it, but you don't.

Inkbrush is highly underrated. They are too quick to be put at lowest. In the right hands Inkbrushes are absolute monsters. Kind of like Greninja in smash.
I don't see the inkbrush getting nerfed, though. ;)

List looks solid but was the slur really necessary?
This also..

Last edited:

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Throw, then flick. After you see the bomb hit and or is mad close, flick. TTK is rather slow, but the kill feels more satisfying.
Not quite. You throw and then IMMEDIATELY flick, don't wait. You do this when your target is out of kill range of your flick but still in range of minor damage. The kill time is comparable to SMG weapons, but slower than rifles like the tentatek and 52. It's a consistent way to make up for situations where the Carbon Roller's range would otherwise make it a liability over, say, a Krakon Roller.

I never said carbon wasn't on par with other rollers, I disagreed with your notion that it can just charge in. It has to be very careful about how it charges in if you want to get more than suicide or a 1 for 1. Also I just did some testing, and was unaware that using the burst bomb first allowed the flick to animation cancel it. I always did it in the reverse order. That still doesn't make it quite as good as splat roller reach wise since you have to hit a "skill shot" but it's better. It also consumes a good bit of ink.
Gotcha. I ment that statement comparing the Carbon Roller's approach to other roller's approaches, not that it can just charge in in general. That's where we were confused.

Also sorry mods for double post, the edit button is kinda broken on my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

BtheDestroyer

Full Squid
Krakon splat roler is awful. The only reason people think it's good is because most people haven't figured out how to deal with it yet and because of that, most people use it. Kracken is easy to deal with as long as you just keep shooting it; as of the 1.3 update, they get major knockback from being hit.
Also, aerospray mg has way better subs/specials than the standard.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Krakon splat roler is awful. The only reason people think it's good is because most people haven't figured out how to deal with it yet and because of that, most people use it. Kracken is easy to deal with as long as you just keep shooting it; as of the 1.3 update, they get major knockback from being hit.
Also, aerospray mg has way better subs/specials than the standard.
Roller is actually pretty good in Tower Control on most maps if they can utilize choke points they can OHKO up to a whole team. Also anything with Kraken on that tower is OP you are just going to have to wait until they run out of special. Not that I am saying they are the best but they aren't awful.

Dewsader

Inkling
NNID
Dewsader
My only real question about this whole thing is why is the Custom E-Liter over the Normal E-Liter. I've always found that Beacon is useful in very minute situations and you wouldn't be close enough to Kraken if you're standing far back as you should be for using the E-liter. But maybe I just have clouded judgement? I've found that in Splat Zones I sit fairly far back with the E-liter and it's nice to have the burst bombs to zone people who get too close to me.

BtheDestroyer

Full Squid
Roller is actually pretty good in Tower Control on most maps if they can utilize choke points they can OHKO up to a whole team. Also anything with Kraken on that tower is OP you are just going to have to wait until they run out of special. Not that I am saying they are the best but they aren't awful.
I said Krakon splat roller. Carbon and dynamo tie for the best imo but if there's a Kraken on the tower, just shoot at it from far away and it'll fall off as long as you're not hitting it into the stripper pole.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I said Krakon splat roller. Carbon and dynamo tie for the best imo but if there's a Kraken on the tower, just shoot at it from far away and it'll fall off as long as you're not hitting it into the stripper pole.
That doesn't work if the kraken is actively pushing forward. You don't actually push it back just delay it a bit. There isn't a weapon strong enough with enough speed to actually delay enough for tower to advance without it alone.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Yeah I'm pretty sure it takes two people to actually push a Kraken off of a tower. it may depend on the Kraken's swim speed though, I've seen some asinine swim speed Kraken shenanigans lol.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Where's the octobrush? :^)
Then again I think this list was made when it wasn't a thing- I think...
Ofc we all know the octorbrush would be top. Jk just my opinion. B^)
Either way, the brushes are pretty great once you know how to use 'em. ;^) <3
Far from bein' crap. Just gotta learn hun.
Even though it have it disadvantages... but all weapons do.

mezzo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ledyba
i'm kinda butthurt that all the brushes are in the bottom tier, i've had success with all of them in ranked...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom